Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Why when speaking in other tongues?

Author Topic: Why when speaking in other tongues?
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Study   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yahsway, I agree and amen.

--------------------
http://www.biblenotebooks.com
The book no Christian should be without!

Posts: 364 | From: NJ | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Study, you said that some people try to teach others on how to speak in tongues. I too have seen this abuse performed in different churches I have attended. It is wrong.

The scriptures teach that it is the Spirit of God that gives the utterrance. How many have heard pastors tell their flock to "go ahead and speak in your prayer language? this is not how the Spirit of God operates. He is not a fountain to turn on and off. it is only as the Spirit gives the uterrance.

And in the corporate setting it should be done orderly as the scriptures say with an interpetor.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christs disciple
Advanced Member
Member # 4505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christs disciple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what you people are talking about, though I would like to. I always thought speaking "in tongues" meant in a foreign language, not like the original language or anything.

Staff: My avaton or whatever didn't work when I registered, yesterday

--------------------
The Rock ROCKS!!!

Posts: 21 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind - 1 Corinthians 14:14,15

1 Corinthians 14
39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues

1 Corinthians 14
27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two — or at the most three — should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are manifested through a variety of spiritual gifts to build and sanctify the church, demonstrate the validity of the resurrection and confirm the power of the gospel.

The Bible lists of these gifts are not necessarily exhaustive and the gifts may occur in various combinations.

All believers are commanded to earnestly desire the manifestation of the gifts in their lives.

These gifts always operate in harmony with the Scriptures.

1 Corinthians 12

Spiritual Gifts
1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don't need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don't need you!” 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.

And now I will show you the most excellent way.

1 Corinthians 14

Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand[e] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21In the Law it is written: “Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me,”[f] says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand[g] or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand[h]comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

Orderly Worship
26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two–or at the most three–should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.

As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.[i]

39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Hebrews 2

A Warning to Pay Attention

1We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, 3how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. 4God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Paul's Longing to Visit Rome
Romans 1
8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

11I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong– 12that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

Romans 12
3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to hisfaith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully

Ephesians 4
14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

[b]Living as Children of Light

17So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.

II Timothy 1 4:14

5I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 6For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of selfdiscipline.

8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9who has saved us and called us to a holy life–not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. 12That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

13What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. 14Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you–guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

15You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes.

16May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains.

1 Peter 4

Living for God
11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Study   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else on the BBS that can enlighten us more on the gift of speaking in other tongues?

Thank you.

--------------------

Posts: 364 | From: NJ | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

It's ok 2Tim, none of us is perfect yet, but we have to keep trying by moving towards the mark of the high calling.

God Bless

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 8:26-28
26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He R389 who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11 too long to post here... but basically the Spirit gives many gifts, not everyone has to be able to speak in tongues.

I believe... that doesn't necessarily mean it is correct, or that others believe the same... that the Holy Spirit gives us tongues to express those groanings and things that we in our limited knowledge and ablity can not express in our own language.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

In reading 1 Corinthians 14
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

The way I see this verse is you are fully aware when you are speaking in tongues and it also says to let two speak in tongues and no more then three at the most. And one of them should be the interpreter. Otherwise verse

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

(You have control over your speaking).

2Tim
Verse 27 reference tongue speaking, the way to conduct your gift and Verse 28 is a continuation of instructions from verse 27 on how to conduct yourself with this gift, so this may be the scripture for communication between us and God that Bat was speaking on. Do you agree or disagree?

--------------------

Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Just for the record 2Tim, That was not my statement.

Blessing

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2tim you are right. God the Father is not the Author of confusion. But He is the Author and Creator of us. He gave us the gift of tongues as a form of communication between the spirit that dwells in us and Him. When spoken aloud in a church setting, it is beneficial to our spirits, but without interpretation, it is not beneficial to us in our flesh because we can't understand in our human minds things of the spirit.

Study,
I too have started asking questions. I find it shocking how few people know the answers. or answer in a way that isn't truely answering my question, but going around it somehow.
Whenever a tongue and interpretation are given at our church, the pastor explains what happened (incase there are people there that don't know) and gives scripture about tongues and interpretations and if he can find one quickly, he gives a scripture to back up what the person said.
And he always says that we can meet with him afterwards to ask questions about it.

Maybe someone else here can put in some input.

I hope that H4HS or Favor will run across this thread and add their input!

Blessings and Shalom!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Bat
you purposed some good questions in your posting.

2Tim
I read the scriptures you posted, but there are still questions that I’m seeking full understanding on.

I’m beginning in my older age to ask more questions of teachers (Sunday school teacher, Bible study teacher). Before I would just sit and listen, with no questions. I’m also finding that the questions purposed, others have always had the same questions, but they have never asked. Maybe we will get some answers revealed to us and maybe the others will be revealed when we meet our Lord and savior. The Bible tells us in Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all they getting get understanding.

I know there have been others who have prayed for the gift of speaking in other tongues and some whom have been taught to speak in other tongues. I have always heard speaking in other tongues preached and stress, but how many times have we hear the interpretation of speaking in tongues preached. Some years ago, I personally was approached and was told to say this or that to speak in tongues, but I refused to due this.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

yeah, Study, I know what you mean.

It's just that sometimes God gives the interpretation to someone and they are disobedient and don't give it. Usually out of fear or pride.

To me, if no one interprets, then it feels like a let down, cause you know God is speaking to you, but you don't know what he is saying. It would be better if the person who is speaking were to remain silent... but how are they to know that the person with the interpretation is going to be disobedient and not do the will of God.

But then again, God knew they would not obey, so why did he allow the tongues to be uttered in the first place? would he do that? does that mean that the tongues spoken are false tongues? These are things that i wonder when it happens. But God knows the heart of all men. I just leave it in His hands.

--------------------

Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

I personally have witnessed someone speaking in tongues and the interpretation to it. I have also witness someone speak in tongues and interpret their own self speaking in tongues. I don’t have a problem with that. Where I have the problem is when I see people week after week speaking in tongues in a service and there is no interpretation.

I just completed reading Acts 2 and Corintians 14 Two verse really hit me hard.

Corintians 14:
13. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

28. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

just a side note... satan doesn't like it when we pray in the spirit/tongues. He will put horrible thoughts in your head and distract you the best he can.
I have noticed people pray a few words in tongues and stop. Unless you press in and focus, the enemy will distract you.
When I have asked people about what caused them to stop praying, they often blush and say that they remembered something and couldn't pray afterwards, that they felt dirty/guilty.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

it's interesting that this came up... last sunday we had a word in tongues in our church and after a few minutes we had an interpretation. The word in tongues went on for a few minutes and didn't seem repeated at all... it sounded like a soul crying out in deep passion. The other lady that interpreted was much the same... she was crying and speaking out boldly and quite loudly... normally she has such a soft voice.

I pray in tongues sometimes myself and I don't know if the same words repeat or not... i'm not thinking about the words, my mind is on God and I'm focused on what I'm praying about and sometimes don't even realize that i'm no longer speaking in "english". It just flows out of me. Sometimes laughing, often crying, sometimes singing, sometimes shouting. It's during times of prayer such as this that my faith is renewed and i feel rested and at peace afterwards.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in an Assembly of God Church and yes, when someone speaks aloud in tongues most of the time, the Holy Spirit will interpet.
But, when your dad said His private prayers with you children, there was no need to interpet because the Holy Spirit was talking to God about your dad and you kids. The Bibls says that when do no know what to pray, the Holy Spirit will often say the words for us. The fact that it sounded the same every time does not take away it's importance. It is quite possible the Holy Spirit said the same prayer for your family every night.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? That's interesting. My dad would sometimes speak in tongues when he was saying bedtime prayers with my brother and me. It seemed like he always said the same things.

I've been to his church a few times when people would be speaking in tongues, but no one has ever interpreted.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

redkermit I have heard interpretation done at least twice that I can recall as an individual was speaking in tongue, but the person speaking in tongues spoke at length and the interpreter was translating at the same time and this went on for approximately 5 to 10 minuets give or take a little.

--------------------

redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question, and something I've often wondered myself as my dad's church believes that speaking in tongues is a sign you have received the Holy Spirit. I suppose maybe we would need someone to interpret what they are saying to best answer the question.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

I believe in the gift of speaking in other tongues. I was just wondering, why when you here those you perceive as having the gift and professing it. I only hear them mumble the same two or three words and shut up? Can anyone answer this for me?

Thank you and many blessings from above.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement