Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » At risk of sounding ignorant.

Author Topic: At risk of sounding ignorant.
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.justforcatholics.org/a114.htm

Baptism - baptismal regeneration refuted

Question:
Jesus Christ, St. Peter, St. Luke, and St. Paul all agree that we are saved and born again in the waters of baptism with the Holy Spirit! (John 3:5; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 3:21; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:3, 4; Colossians 2:12).

Answer:
I hope that by studying these scriptures, you will be convinced that none of them actually proves “baptismal regeneration.” But first, let us define the official Catholic position and what is required to prove this doctrine.

What is baptismal regeneration?

The Catholic Church teaches that:

1. Baptism is necessary for salvation (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1277).
2. Baptism causes regeneration. (In theological jargon, baptism is said to be the instrumental cause of regeneration). Baptism is not only a sign; it actually brings about the new birth. “Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213).

As the other sacraments, baptism acts “ex opere operato” - literally, by the very fact of the action being performed. The right application of the outward sign is always followed by the gift of internal grace if the sacrament is received with the right dispositions.

In the case of infants, baptism removes original sin and regenerates even though the infant does not personally believe in Christ. “It may not be doubted that in Baptism infants receive the mysterious gift of faith. Not that they believe with the assent of the mind, but they are established in the faith of their parents” (Catechism of Trent).

In the case of adults, faith is necessary, but it is not sufficient for forgiveness or eternal life. Faith is considered as one of the factors constituting the “right disposition” for baptism. “Besides a wish to be baptized, in order to obtain the grace of the Sacrament, faith is also necessary” (Catechism of Trent). Yet the believer does not receive grace (forgiveness or regeneration) until and unless he is baptized with water.

What is required to prove baptismal regeneration?

To prove that “baptismal regeneration” is a true biblical doctrine, it is not enough to quote some scriptures that somehow link baptism to forgiveness or the new birth. Baptism must be shown to be the instrumental cause of regeneration. Therefore it is not enough to show from Scripture that “faith and baptism” or “repentance and baptism” saves. Evangelical Christians also believe that “faith and baptism” saves, without accepting the idea of baptismal regeneration. Evangelicals say that a person is saved by faith (instrumental cause) and baptism (as the sign of salvation). Whereas Catholics say that faith is a predisposition (which is not sufficient to save by itself); cleansing is actually brought about by baptism (instrumental cause).

So to prove baptismal regeneration, it must be shown that:

1. Baptism without personal faith saves (as in the case of infant baptism).
2. Without baptism, faith does not save (as in the case of catechumens who are not yet saved because they are not yet baptised, even though they have repented and believed in Christ).

Let us look at the most important “proof texts” to see whether they actually prove baptismal regeneration or not.

“Proof texts” examined

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”

There is strong evidence that “water” is not primarily referring to baptism (see “Baptism: Born of Water”), but let’s say, for the sake of argument, that it is. “Water” and “Spirit” refer to different aspects of the work of regeneration. In Catholicism, the Spirit is the agent; water baptism is the instrument. In biblical Christianity, the Spirit is the agent; baptism is the sign of salvation. Why can’t we understand water as the reality signified by the external rite (namely spiritual cleansing and new life) that is brought about by the Spirit? Is there any compelling reason why “water” must be understood as the instrumental cause?

Mark 16:16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Catholics and Evangelicals agree that faith and baptism saves. We disagree on the separate roles. Can we understand baptism as the sign rather than the instrument of salvation? Certainly! Why do we have to see personal faith as a mere “predisposition” or indeed as unnecessary in the case of infants? Jesus emphasizes the primacy and necessity of faith by warning that “he who does not believe will be condemned.” We know, at least, that one can be baptized and still be lost if he does not believe. Matthew 16:16 says nothing about the unusual case of someone who believes and is not yet baptized. Therefore, it cannot be used to prove something that the verse is not talking about.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

In his sermon on the Day of Pentecost, the apostle Peter powerfully persuaded the Jews that the man they had crucified as a blasphemer is the Lord and Messiah. They were pierced to the heart and asked what they should do. Peter replied that they must repent, i.e. change their mind about Jesus - they who previously disbelieved Jesus must now believe in Him. Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ served as a courageous public testimony of their repentance and faith in Him, knowing full well that it meant persecution from the Jewish leaders and the rest of the Jews.

There is nothing in the text that compels us to see baptism as the instrumental cause. Why not take repentance as the means of receiving forgiveness, and baptism as the sign of true repentance and forgiveness? Indeed, a short time later the apostle Peter promised forgiveness on the basis of repentance without even mentioning baptism (Acts 3:19 – Repent, therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out). Faith in the Messiah (implied in genuine repentance), rather than baptism, receives from God His gracious pardon.

Acts 22:16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

The outward act, “arise and be baptized,” is linked to the heart appeal to Christ, “calling on the name of the Lord.” The result is spiritual cleansing - “wash away your sins.” We see immediately that this verse says nothing about forgiveness apart from personal faith. Nor does it necessarily prove that “calling upon the Lord” is insufficient for cleansing. For baptism can be considered as an external sign (washing the body) of the inner reality (washing the heart from sin) brought about by faith (calling on the Lord). Grammatically, “wash away your sins” is linked to “calling on the name of the Lord” and not to “be baptized.” Elsewhere Scripture is clear that the instrument of salvation is calling upon the name of the Lord by faith. God “is rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on Him whom they have not believed?” (Romans 10:12-14). In other words, their faith (manifest in their call for mercy) results in salvation. Baptism does not repeat what is already achieved through faith (salvation, cleansing); baptism signifies this great truth.

Romans 6:3, 4 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

This passage, especially the phrase “buried with Him through baptism,” seems to support the idea that baptism is the instrumental cause of justification. However, even here baptism could be understood as the sign of justification. It is not unusual in Scripture to call the reality by the name of its sign. Thus, for example, Paul says that all Christians are circumcised (even though one may not be physically circumcised!); meaning that they possess what circumcision signifies (Philippians 3:3). Using this kind of language, Paul can speak of the great reality of the believers’ spiritual union with Christ, and the benefits which flow from that union, in terms of baptism, its sign.

We are forced to give this interpretation by the context. Before mentioning baptism in chapter 6, Paul had repeatedly emphasized that faith alone is the instrumental cause of justification (Romans 1:16, 17; 3:22, 25, 26, 28, 30; 4:5, 13; 5:1, 2). Righteousness is “imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead, who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised up because of our justification” (Romans 4:24,25). Since they received the benefits of Christ’s death and resurrection, believers must be spiritually united to Him by their faith.

Elsewhere, Paul relates baptism and faith. Christians are “buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead” (Colossians 2:12). The instrumental cause of our spiritual union with Christ is faith (“through faith”). Therefore, baptism must be the sign of that union brought about by faith.

By insisting that baptism is the instrumental cause of justification, Roman Catholicism contradicts the many clear statements that justification is by faith.

1 Peter 3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves us - baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Peter was speaking about Noah and his family who were saved through the floodwater. He makes a comparison between that water and baptism. One corresponds to the other (that’s what antitype means). The flood symbolized baptism. Further, Peter says that baptism now saves us. Conscious that his statement is liable to be misunderstood, Peter explains himself.

Negatively, baptism does not save because water is applied to the body: “not the removal of the filth of the flesh.” Water can only cleanse the flesh outwardly; it does not cleanse the heart from sin. Positively, baptism saves because it follows a personal response to God as indicated by the phrase “the answer of a good conscience toward God.” The Bible usually uses such terms as “believe,” “repent,” and “call upon” to describe this personal response to God. It is that aspect of baptism (what is signified, “the answer of a good conscience toward God”) rather than the external rite (the sign, the application of water) that saves. In this sense, we affirm that baptism saves.

Consider the following conversation:

Q. Are you married?
A. Yes, I am married; see, I’m wearing this ring.
Q. What does the ring signify?
A. It means that I gave my consent to my wife and, therefore, I am united to her.

Strictly speaking, he is united to his wife because of the marriage vows rather than the ring. Yet since the latter is the sign of their union, it is natural to speak of the ring to mean the reality it represents. Now compare it to a similar conversation about salvation:

Q. Are you saved?
A. Yes I am saved, because I am baptized.
Q. What does baptism signify?
A. It signifies that I believe in Christ and, therefore, I am united to Him.

So, when we say that baptism saves us, we do not mean that the sacrament saves us apart from faith in Christ; we mean that baptism signifies our salvation by faith in Christ. Contrast this to the position of the Roman Catholic Church. Infants are said to be saved by baptism even though by reason of his age a baby cannot make such a personal appeal to God, as the Bible requires. 1 Peter 3:21 actually denies baptismal regeneration ex opere operato!

Conclusion

We have seen that there are a few scriptures that relate baptism to salvation. All these scriptures also associate baptism with faith and repentance. Therefore, baptism can be understood as the sign of salvation received by faith in Christ. None of these verses prove that baptism, rather than faith, brings about justification, nor that infant baptism is efficacious since personal faith is absent in infants. Therefore, baptismal regeneration is not a proven biblical doctrine.

What are the practical implications? Be careful not to be deceived, thinking that you are right with God simply because you have been baptized. You could be baptized and still be lost. On the other hand, if you truly believe in Christ - relying on Him alone for salvation, while showing your faith in holiness and love - then baptism is God’s sign to you of your saving union with Christ.

Copyright Dr Joe Mizzi. Permission given by author to copy this article without changes. < BACK TO Q&A

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelus
Community Member
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angelus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
Angelus writes to NGCapnJack[/b]
quote:
As Catholic, you are "born again" through your baptism.
By that, Angelus means infant baptism, which is NOT in the Bible but is a custom generated by the Roman Catholic Church.

The ONLY baptism spoken of in the Bible is when a person individually, at an age of accountability, believes in the sacrificial work of Jesus, and THEREAFTER is baptised to show the Lord, the angels, and the world, that he accepts the finished work of Jesus and considers himself dead to the world and raised again with Christ.

The above cannot be accomplished with INFANT BAPTISM because babies cannot make an individual decision for Christ, which is a prerequisite to being baptized.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Born Again,

May the peace of Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you.

I posted precisely what I meant. I didn't limit baptism to infants, because the Church teaches that one is born again through their baptism, whether they're infants, children, adults, or those that have received valid baptisms in denominations. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.

Pax

Angelus

--------------------
I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15).

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NGCapnJack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
The ONLY baptism spoken of in the Bible is when a person individually, at an age of accountability, believes in the sacrificial work of Jesus, and THEREAFTER is baptised to show the Lord, the angels, and the world, that he accepts the finished work of Jesus and considers himself dead to the world and raised again with Christ.

I am aware of all that, and it is all true; however I think there is a valid reason for infant baptism. Some centuries ago, there were not enough Bishops to baptize people and confirm them, so these two rituals were split. Basically, Catholics are baptized soon after birth (which is beneficial because it means that we have already been accepted as one of God's servants, then again, I have some opposition to this because it is not by choice) and when they are old enough to make a decision, they are confirmed as an "adult of the church." Essentially, this makes baptism less important than it otherwise would be, but I've always found it weird that there are older people who are not baptized. I guess that's because I've pretty much always been baptized...

I personally don't find this a major issue, but since Jesus Himself was baptized as an adult, I think we should be too.

--------------------
Arr matey, May the Lord Bless yer soul. [thumbsup2]

"The LORD is my Shepherd" (Psalm 23). [Cross]

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angelus writes to NGCapnJack[/b]
quote:
As Catholic, you are "born again" through your baptism.
By that, Angelus means infant baptism, which is NOT in the Bible but is a custom generated by the Roman Catholic Church.

The above cannot be accomplished with INFANT BAPTISM because babies cannot make an individual decision for Christ, which is a prerequisite to being baptized.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelus
Community Member
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angelus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NGCapJack,

Just a little perspective on your question. As Catholic, you are "born again" through your baptism. Now, most here will disagree with that, but then, they're not Catholic and disagree with the Church's definition of baptism. You can always google the Catechism and find a good reliable Catholic source for your questions.

Peace be with you
Angelus

--------------------
I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15).

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear NGCapnJack, if I may add my 2 cents to this, the Bible says in Romans 10:9-10 that when you believe that Jesus was the Son of God and that God raised Him from the dead, you are saved.

The Bible says that we are composed of spirit, soul, and body (1 Thes. 5:23).

At the moment of believing Romans 10:9-10, the Holy Spirit is allowed to reconnect to your spirit and revives your spirit and also begins to dwell in your spirit. This person is now born again by the Spirit of God.

However, since Adam caused soul to rule over himself, the spirit of Adam began to lie idle and unused, until 6,000 years later, you don't even know where you're spirit is and what your spirit feels like because we have inherited soul rule from Adam.

Once a person recognizes what happened back there with Adam, such a person becomes willing to abdicate soul rule in favor of man's spirit which was the organ designed to rule over the soul and over the body.

Once this willingness starts in a Christian to abdicate soul rule, then the Holy Spirit which is already in man's spirit can begin to teach the Christian, by way of the Word of God and by way of instruction in man's spirit, what is spirit and what is soul, in us.

That is, this is the beginning of Hebrews 4:12, in which the Word of God, which is both Jesus and the written Word, begins to divide spirit from soul for us, so that we may again be able to discern what is spirit in us and what is soul rule in us.

The more a Christian learns to lay down soul rule in favor of spirit rule, the more a Christian will be able to "feel and know" the Spirit and the spirit inside of himself, until eventually all soul rule is laid down, and then there is a direct flow from Jesus in heaven by way of the Spirit to this Christian's spirit, and so out into the world for the benefit of all to whom the Lord now sends this person.

Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Brother NGCapnJack,

What does born again mean to me (Eduardo)?

Born again experience for me came to me on the 17th April 1967. The message was being translated by Mrs Schuler a Jewish-Christian lady into my Father's language Yiddish. I heard about love, an unconditional love. Something I was not receiving at home. Even as young as I was, I was miserable and I didn't want to go home. I first heard the Pastor anounce a new beginning with a different father. In my mind I felt misplaced, rejected, unloved, and hated. When I first heard about Jesus(Yeshua in Hebrew) was at foster home in Michigan. But it didn't sound as profound as Pastor Hallet made it to be. The foster mother would read in Spanish the bible and sounded like the Ladino language of my mother. I enjoy the stories. However when I was brought to live with my Aunt in Illinois, there lived by a baptiste Minister and he invited us to church. My very first sunday in this new place and state was great. That day I heard about:

John 3:16
For God so had the world loved, that He gave his only begotton Son, that whoever would believe in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.

That is the first time I heard God loves me.But the pastor went on. He quoted Romans 3:23 and parts of Isaiah. For everyone in this world have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. And from the prophet of Isaiah it said our righteousness were compared to filthy rags. Just FYI filthy rags is a hebrew jargon meaning cotex or tampon-what a woman wears during her menses. So in God's eye our righteousness is not holy at all. The Pastor asked, had you ever stole a cookie without permission? have you ever blame your brother or sister of something you did? Have you ever cheated on your taxes? etc.. Have you ever told your neighbor you hated them? If you did you are a sinner. I began to cry because I hated my father. I told my mom that my friend pushed my brother down- but it was me. I was a big fat sinner.

HOWEVER the pastor went on. The reason why Jesus came was to reconnect us with God the Father. He quoted Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is eternal life through JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD.

He said that this gift, this christmas gift is life eternal. And if we do not accept and place Jesus in our hearts death will seperate us eteranally as well. Because of sin or our sinful state we are seperated from God. In order to correct all this we must start with Jesus and nothing else. He then quoted Rev 3: 20 -Behold I (Jesus) stand at the door and knock and if anyone will open their door and invite me in I will supp with him and he with Me. The pastor said Jesus is speaking of the real you, your heart-you. Jesus will not force the door down. You must open the door and invite Him in.

The pastor went on and quoted

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and shalt believe in your heart that GOD hath raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. -For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

And then Pastor made what some called it, an alter call- come to Jesus. I went quickier then a bee chasing a man down a hill. I ran down and I nearly knocked the pastor down. I beleive I was about 9 or 10

If we could work our way to heaven and earn salvation then Jesus need not to have died. There is nothing we could do with our own might, strength , purpose that could equate to God's approval of our works, because we are sinners.

So I Eduardo- am a sinner unable to keep and maintain the commandments and because of this I need to pay the penalty -so Jesus paid it with his life and rose again.

Thank God! Thank God I am free at last. Oh I am born again because Jesus saved me and I believe it and He is control of heart.

Be very careful and ask people "what does Jesus mean to you?"

Why because to some Jesus was just a man and a lunatic and to others a prophet and to others life giving blood.

Psalms 118:17

I will not die, but live and declare the works of the Lord forever.

Amen [Prayer] [Cross]

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NGCapnJack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To HisGrace,

I've asked many times, but I'm not too sure he listened. [BooHoo]

--------------------

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by NGCapnJack:
quote:
Dear friend, when you examine yourself by the Word of God, can you honestly say, "Yes, I am born again"?
I don't know! [Eek!]
I feel like I need to be now, but I don't think I've ever really felt like my spirit is alive...

Personally, there is absolutely no doubt at all that I am not born again. Have you ever asked Jesus to come into your heart and fill you with his Holy Spirit, Jack? For myself there is an inner peace that passes all understanding.
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

quote:
Dear friend, when you examine yourself by the Word of God, can you honestly say, "Yes, I am born again"?
I don't know! [Eek!]

I feel like I need to be now, but I don't think I've ever really felt like my spirit is alive...

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.justforcatholics.org/6.htm

Born again

Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again
he cannot see the kingdom of God - John 3:3.

Jesus informed a respected Jewish leader and teacher, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God’ (John 3:1-21). The issue is not whether you are religious, attend church, read the Bible or try to live a good life. The important question is, ‘Are you born again?’ For unless you are born again, you will never see or enter Heaven.

Why should a person be ‘born again’? The Bible describes the desperate condition of the natural man. He is not only ill or weak, the natural man is ‘dead in trespasses and sins.’ His mind is not subject to the Law, and though he may be religious, he does not seek after the true God. He has no living relationship with the Lord and he can't do anything about it.

Therefore it is not a matter of turning a new leaf or resolving to live better. Religious rites (like circumcision or baptism) cannot help either – Nicodemus was circumcised but he still needed to be born anew. Being spiritually dead it’s impossible to give life to yourself by anything you do. More than anything else, you need God to give you life!

There is no ‘how to’ formula to be born again. It is neither a human work nor is it initiated by the human will. Infants do not induce, or cooperate in, their own procreation and birth; no more can those who are 'dead in trespasses and sins' prompt the life-giving operation of God. His children are born 'not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God' (John 1:13).

The new birth is the work of God the Holy Spirit. ‘The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone born of the Spirit.’ The Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to create new life in the human heart. Once a person is born again, he instinctively cries out to God for now he is a child of the Father. Repentance, faith and a godly life are the signs that the Christian is 'alive and well.'

Whereas the new birth is not produced by man, its effects are clearly seen in man. The apostle John gives several tests as evidence that a person is born again.

1. ‘Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God’ (1 John 5:1). Previously he did not think much of Jesus. Now he trusts only in him because he is convinced that he is God’s Son, whom the Father sent to save him from sin.

2. 'Whoever is born of God does not sin…everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him' (1 John 3:9; 2:29). The child of God grows to become like his Father. He hates what God hates and loves the things God loves. He fights against sin and temptation and willingly obeys the commandments of God.

3. 'Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God' (1 John 4:7). He learns love from his Father; his desire is to serve especially his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

© Dr Joe Mizzi. Permission is given by the author to copy this article without any changes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

From the definitions I have recieved, I could definitely define myself as born-again. However, is it possible to be born-again and Catholic? Does being born again require you to change any of your religious beliefs? I always had the (mis)conception that born-agains were an entire sect, almost cult-like, all on their own.

Does it only mean that you acknowledge Jesus as your saviour??

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

For those who are not familiar with the born-again concept, the question could be asked, "Why did Jesus have to die for us?"

When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, the devil became the prince of this world. Therefore God devised a plan where he could be defeated by sending Jesus.

In the Old Testament Days people had to periodically kill goats and sheep, etc. and shed their blood so that man could be forgiven of his sins. Jesus was sent as our sacrifical lamb so that his shed blood could cleanse and cover these sins forever in our lives.

In the Protestant faith we believe that everyone is born a sinner. Once we gain this knowledge, each and every person has to ask him individually to come into our hearts to cleanse us of all sin. This is being born again. Most denominations believe that this is the only way to get into heaven.

Jesus said "Ye must be born again." and stated in John 3 it says "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of Heaven"

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 15 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as a ‘stupid question’ [Wink]

I have a hard time putting things into words, so I searched the internet until I found a write up that was short and to the point. I agree with this:

http://www.faith101.com/topics/bornagain.htm

What does it mean to be born again?

John 3:3-8
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The kind of birth Jesus is talking about here is one of spirit. Whenever someone trusts in Christ for their salvation they are born again they will change into a new creature

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Sometimes when someone gets saved they experience a dramatic change immediately, and some people experience a slow gradual change that they hardly even notice till one day they realize that their life is completely different then it was 6 months ago. But the point is expect some change, if months later you look back and find that you still are committing all the same sins you were when you were saved, have the same friends, enjoy the same things, and can see no changes at all (outside of the fact that you go to church Sunday morning) their may be something wrong.

Ask your Christian friends if they have noticed any changes in you, if they have not then you need to consider asking your pastor for help. I speak from personal experience when I say that just walking down an isle and praying the prayer isn't enough, your heart has to pray the prayer as well as your voice, if your heart isn't in it, then Christ won't be in your heart, and rebirth won't take place.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

Icon 20 posted      Profile for NGCapnJack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this question may sound silly to many of you... in fact I'm sure it is a stupid question. What exactly is a Born-again Christian?? I consider myself Christian with Roman Catholic influence, and I don't know much about other denominations, but this term has been coming up so often recently that I feel the need to understand exactly what it means.

Thank you in advance!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement