Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Prophets?

Author Topic: Prophets?
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read I Corinthians chapter 13 and 14. The gift of prophecy is still given and is a spiritual gift of the Holy Spirit. I have not personally met anyone with this true gift, nor have I seen it manifested, but I believe as the end times approach, we may see more people manifesting this gift.

HOWEVER, and here is the big clincher for you, anything they prophecy must be backed up by scripture! If it contradicts the Bible, it is false.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are prophets walking the earth today but I do not believe Mr. Smith was a prophet.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quakinsorca
Community Member
Member # 4101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quakinsorca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eduardo, I maybe should have done some research before I posted that; I just got done doing some research on it. I was aware that Joseph Smith had founded the Mormon belief but was truly confused because I have had them visit me several different times claiming to follow Christ but yet a lot of what they told me contradicted what I had read in the Holy Bible and what I was taught. They would tell me to pray about it and the Holy Spirit would guide me to believe the book of Mormon to be true.

So I would, but could not read from it. It just didn't feel right and a couple times I would set the Book of Mormon down to cross reference with the KJV and would loose my place in the Mormon and could NEVER find where I was reading. Which never happens when it is the KJV..

I thank you for responding and setting my mind at ease . And you hit home for me when you said "To answer the question about prophets, well no because we have the word of God." Because that is what I always thought and thought first when the Mormons began to tell me about Joseph Smith being a prophet.

Thank you again.

--------------------
One person can make a difference in the world - Jesus did.

Posts: 14 | From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joseph Smith is that person who founded the Mormons.(The Church of the Latter Day Saints. He believed that God changed the law that said it was alright to have more then one wife. Some of the old found mormons believe in polygamy. Joseph Smith is a False Prophet because he believes man can become Gods. Well there is only one God, one Savior, One Son begotten of the Father and his name is JESUS and not Joseph. You have a computer type in Mormons, a Cult or Christian and see what you get. One thing intrigues me the most about Mormonism its ability to use christian words and give them different meaning. Always have a person tell you wat they mean about salvation, about Jesus. Define the deity of Christ. You would be surprise the number of non biblical answers.

Another thing Jehova Witness- why I would never become one of them. I was taking care of a child whose parents are JW, the child came in bleeding. The child bled to death because the parents believed receiving blood or blood products was aganst their reigion, that alone would never convince me that the JW doctrine was kosher. Although they only believe 144,000 people would ever be saved. Check it out on the internet before we cann't any more.

To answer the question about prophets, well no because we have the word of God. Now I believe the two witnesses are Enoch and Elija-the ones spoken of in the bible who never died an earthly death. Remember all people who on earth before the rapture must die. It is only when the rapture comes when people won't see an earthly death they will be changed. I trully believe it is Enoch and Elija because they will die and stay dead for three days and God will resurect them. Interesting eh?

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quakinsorca
Community Member
Member # 4101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quakinsorca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember, but could be wrong, reading in the New Testament that after Jesus and His disciples, there would be no future prophets? Does anyone have an answer 'cause I can't seem to find it in the Bible the few times I have skimmed through looking for it. I ask because someone has brought "the prophet - Joseph Smith" from the 1800's to my attention and his transcriptions.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
One person can make a difference in the world - Jesus did.

Posts: 14 | From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement