Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Out of wedlock pregnancy

Author Topic: Out of wedlock pregnancy
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

On the other side of having multiple marriages, and not believing in marriage, because we see so many couples break up, is the complete opposite concept of couples staying together for 50 years, and both parties have such a dysfunctional relationship, that it is poisons everyone around them. That's even scarier. Yet they are legally following God's commandment to death due they part, and have not committed adultry, yet they are so miserable together, they make everyone else miserable who happens to be part of their family.

Some marriages are made in Hell.

Ya know, I always thought that about my mom's parents' marriage. As I grew up, I found out my grandfather had beaten his wife and all seven kids regualrly and was sexually abusive to some of them. The sexual abuse pattern has filtered down through the family to next generations as well. I always thought how horrible it was that she stayed with him.

I talked to my mom about it recently though, and she said he got saved later in life and was a different person (not perfect but definitely changed). She was able to reconcile with him, although her sisters did not I don't believe. Anyway, now several of my uncles and their families are saved as well and go to church regularly. I am unsure of the salvation of a couple of my aunts and uncles, but the Lord sure appears to be working in that family.

I guess my point is that we shouldn't be too quick to judge or make assumptions until we have seen the whole act played out. Have hope and pray always.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bat Elohim:
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Bat Elohim, I wondered what you think about the days when marriages were arranged?

LOL!!!! Hallalujah I don't live in a culture that requires that!!!

I think that if I was raised in a culture where that was the norm and it was expected and all that, then I would be ok with it. But in reality, my real father was married 8 times that I know of. My mom was married three times and had an endless string of boyfriends inbetween each. I guess that is part of the reason why marriage isn't such a big thing for me.

On the other side of having multiple marriages, and not believing in marriage, because we see so many couples break up, is the complete opposite concept of couples staying together for 50 years, and both parties have such a dysfunctional relationship, that it is poisons everyone around them. That's even scarier. Yet they are legally following God's commandment to death due they part, and have not committed adultry, yet they are so miserable together, they make everyone else miserable who happens to be part of their family.

Some marriages are made in Hell.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
Also, Redkermit - you can't assume the ladies you are meeting had these sexual relations while they were saved. They may be changed people now who had children when they were teens or something. I am not advocating what they clearly did at some point in their past - just pointing out that they may have repented and are different creatures now. However, if their past actions cause problems for you, you should look for virgins to date (which is best anyway if you are pure also!).

I didn't quite think of that (duh [Embarrassed] )! But, I was just asking for opinions more out of curiosity than anything. I don't get hung up on their past, for I myself am not a virgin, although I have been recommited to abstinence for over nine years now.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in the situation where fornication has been going on though, clearly neither party has been trusting or obeying. That says a world about your potential partner, unfortunately. By committing the sin, they created a big mess that won't necessarily be fixed by getting married. I think in most cases I know of, one of the people may wish to consider getting married and settling down, but the other person wants to keep their partying lifestyle. That person won't commit to the marriage whether you put a wedding ring on their finger or not.

Also, Redkermit - you can't assume the ladies you are meeting had these sexual relations while they were saved. They may be changed people now who had children when they were teens or something. I am not advocating what they clearly did at some point in their past - just pointing out that they may have repented and are different creatures now. However, if their past actions cause problems for you, you should look for virgins to date (which is best anyway if you are pure also!).

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveLissa
Community Member
Member # 2808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveLissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bat Elohim:
RedKermit,

If there is a loving relationship there, then yes I believe they should get married.

If there isn't a loving relationship, then no. Trust me, marriage without love is a fate worse than death. Children should not be raised in such a situation.

But either way, I think there should be a whole lot of prayer and counseling done before a firm decision is made.

Blessings and Shalom!

I must respectfully disagree, Bat Elohim. [Frown]

I think we place too much emphasis of the EMOTION of love in marriage. Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will.

I believe that if a person has sex with another, within or within the bounds of wedlock, they become one flesh. They should marry.

I sometimes feel there is far too much talk of "incompatibility" in marriage and "relationships." Incompatibility and "love goosebumps" are not the grounds for divorce nor consideration for marriage...the thing to do is to marry someone God has told you to. Period. If it is God's will that one marries another, He will give the emotions that come with it.

In all things, I think we need to "trust and obey."

Dave

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I appreciate your thoughtful post, Favor, I think it's safe to say the majority here agree pre-marital sex is a sin and support the sanctity of marriage. Unfortunately, even Christians make mistakes.

I'll explain the reason for bringing this up. I have been dabbling quite a bit in the online dating world for the last six months or so. I am amazed at the number of women online that list themselves as Christians, attending church regularly, have never been married, yet they have children. The whole point of my question is do you think it is automatic they they should get married when the woman becomes pregnant?

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorminded,

Amen! Excellent posting!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning Marriage

God chose the Garden of Eden to institute marriage, and His Word abounds with both promises and warnings to safeguard the family unit. A marriage established and guided by Biblical standards has the potential of such blessedness that it can be compared to Christ's relationship with His beloved church

Ephesians 5 Wives and Husbands

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

At the same time, violation of Scriptural standards brings painful and guilt-producing consequences.

Yet, marriage as an institution is currently receiving numerous attacks. While mankind has a perpetual history of violating marriage covenants, the contemporary challenge denies either the existence or the validity of moral standards regarding the sanctity of marriage. Led by numerous liberationist movements and fed by the new morality's amorality, a small but vocal vanguard preaches that marriage is outmoded and must be jettisoned for a more appropriate alternative.

Numerous reasons are advanced for abandoning marriage, and all find root in a desire to be free from any external standards or restraints (i.e., God's revelation). The nuclear family (parents and children) is viewed as artificial by some who say that man's more natural living arrangement is in groups -- tribes or communes.

Revolutionaries intent on reshaping society attack the family, because they want you to recognize it as the basic unity of a civilized culture. Yes, the institution of marriage is old, but that does not mean it is obsolete. Marriage was thousands of years old at Christ's first coming, but He still taught its appropriateness.

Mark 10
6"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'[1] 7'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[2] 8and the two will become one flesh.'[3] So they are no longer two, but one. 9Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

The Christian realizes he is not at liberty to tamper with God's Word to conform it to passing fads in social theories. Cultural norms must be judged by Scripture; the Scripture is not judged by cultural norm.

Neither should marriage be abandoned merely because increasing numbers are becoming disenchanted with it. The fact that a practice is widespread, or even average, does not constitute it as either advisable or right. The Christian never determines truth by majority vote, but by examining God's Word.
The Old Testament prescribes severe punishment for those who disdainfully regard marriage's privileges and responsibilities.

In the Ten Commandments, #7 - "You shall not commit adultery" Exodus 20:14, and the law required that those convicted of adultery receive the death penalty (Leviticus 20:10).

The New Testament does not require capital punishment for adultery, but assures that "God will judge" those who are not married who indulge in that sexuality which God has reserved for marriage.

Hebrews 13
4Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral..
Sexual impropriety resulted in expulsion from the church.

1 Corinthians 5
1It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this?

And Paul warned of those who, with empty words, led others into immorality.

Ephesians 5
5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[1] 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

Eternal judgment awaits those who practice immorality and fail to repent

Revelation
14"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

God's positive plan for marriage instructs, "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord," and "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her"

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Notice that the relationship between husband and wife is patterned after the eternal relationship of God to His people, and not merely after the social customs of the ancient world. Adherence to God's instructions brings such blessedness and depth that all deviations from His plan appear revolting indeed.

Christians must admit that there are numerous customs relating to both weddings and marriages that have no Scriptural support, but have arisen from cultural or religious traditions. The existence of such customs, however, does not warrant abandonment of the standards that the Bible does set.

Also, since governments have realized that a nation's families are one of its greatest resources, most all have laws regulating marriage and divorce. In the Biblical record, marriage was considered a family function, before the Lord, and the involvement of government was either nonexistent or not significant. As long as government regulations do not force believers to violate Biblical standards, believers MUST continue to comply with them for the sake of their testimonies and to honor God in civil / local laws (i.e., marriage license laws).

Titus 3 (A letter from Paul to a young pastor of the churches of Crete)

1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities (Magistrates), to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men. 3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
9But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. 11You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

What is an Authority or Magistrate?

A public civil officer invested with authority
The Hebrew shophetim, or judges, were magistrates having authority in the land (Deut. 1:16, 17). In Judg. 18:7 the word "magistrate" (A.V.) is rendered in the Revised Version "possessing authority", i.e., having power to do them harm by invasion. In the time of Ezra (9:2) and Nehemiah (2:16; 4:14; 13:11) the Jewish magistrates were called seganim, properly meaning "nobles." In the New Testament the Greek word archon, rendered "magistrate" (Luke 12:58; Titus 3:1), means one first in power, and hence a prince, as in Matt. 20:25, 1 Cor. 2:6, 8.

This term is used even of the Messiah, "Prince of the kings of the earth" (Rev. 1:5). In Acts 16:20, 22, 35, 36, 38, the Greek term strategos, rendered "magistrate," properly signifies the leader of an army, a general, one having military authority.

The strategoi were the duumviri, the two praetors appointed to preside over the administration of justice in the colonies of the Romans. They were attended by the sergeants (properly lictors or "rod bearers").

Hebrews 13 (likened to notes taken throughout the whole bible - Hebrews were people a STRONG sense of tradition - The whole point of Hebrews was to point out that Jesus was great than ANY of their ancestors - Great even than Moses)

4Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. 5Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."[1] 6So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"[2]
7Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
9Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those who eat them. 10We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat.
11The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp. 12And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood. 13Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore. 14For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.
15Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name. 16And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. 17Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Jeremiah 26
13 Now reform your ways and your actions and obey the LORD your God. Then the LORD will relent and not bring the disaster he has pronounced against you.

Mosaic Law
The whole body of the Mosaic legislation (1 Kings 2:3; 2 Kings 23:25; Ezra 3:2)
It is called by way of eminence simply "the Law" (Heb. Torah, Deut. 1:5; 4:8, 44; 17:18, 19; 27:3, 8). As a written code it is called the "book of the law of Moses" (2 Kings 14:6; Isa. 8:20), the "book of the law of God" (Josh. 24:26).
The great leading principle of the Mosaic law is that it is essentially theocratic; i.e., it refers at once to the commandment of God as the foundation of all human duty.

The Christian must always realize that his commitment transcends civil law: it is a commitment to another person before God Himself.
Marriage will not be obsolete until the trusting saint is with the Lord, "for in the resurrection, they neither marry nor are given in marriage"

Matthew 22 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

To Espouse / What is Means -
In 2 Sam. 3:14, David demands his wife be returned to him and speaks of the "price" he paid for their betrothal (Wedding Ceremony)

The espousal was a ceremony of betrothing, a formal agreement between the parties then coming under obligation for the purpose of marriage.

Espousals are in the East frequently contracted years before the marriage is celebrated. It is referred to and used to illustrate the relations between God and his people
(Jer. 2:2; Matt. 1:18; 2 Cor. 11:2).

10 Thou shalt therefore obey the voice of the LORD thy God, and do his commandments and his statutes, which I command thee this day.
15 Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.
16 Cursed be he that setteth light by his father or his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen.
17 Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen.
18 Cursed be he that maketh the blind to wander out of the way. And all the people shall say, Amen.
19 Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say, Amen.
20 Cursed be he that lieth with his father's wife; because he uncovereth his father's skirt. And all the people shall say, Amen.
21 Cursed be he that lieth with any manner of beast. And all the people shall say, Amen.
22 Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen.
23 Cursed be he that lieth with his mother in law. And all the people shall say, Amen.
24 Cursed be he that smiteth his neighbour secretly. And all the people shall say, Amen.
25 Cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person. And all the people shall say, Amen.
26 Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Covenant - A contract or agreement between two parties

In the Old Testament the Hebrew word berith is always thus translated. Berith is derived from a root which means "to cut," and hence a covenant is a "cutting," with reference to the cutting or dividing of animals into two parts, and the contracting parties passing between them, in making a covenant
(Gen. 15; Jer. 34:18, 19).

The corresponding word in the New Testament Greek is diatheke, which is, however, rendered "testament" generally in the Authorized Version. It ought to be rendered, just as the word berith of the Old Testament, "covenant."
This word is used (1) of a covenant or compact between man and man (Gen. 21:32), or between tribes or nations (1 Sam. 11:1; Josh. 9:6, 15).

In entering into a convenant, Jehovah was solemnly called on to witness the transaction (Gen. 31:50), and hence it was called a "covenant of the Lord" (1 Sam. 20:8).

The marriage compact is called "the covenant of God" (Prov. 2:17), because the marriage was made in God's name. Wicked men are spoken of as acting as if they had made a "covenant with death" not to destroy them, or with hell not to devour them (Isa. 28:15, 18).

Marriage
In the pre-Mosaic times, when the proposals were accepted and the marriage price given, the bridegroom could come at once and take away his bride to his own house (Gen. 24:63-67).

But in general the marriage was celebrated by a feast in the house of the bride's parents, to which all friends were invited (29:22, 27); and on the day of the marriage the bride, concealed under a thick veil, was conducted to her future husband's home.

Our Lord Jesus Christ corrected many false notions then existing on the subject of marriage, and placed it as a divine institution on the highest grounds. The apostles state clearly and enforce the nuptial duties of husband and wife.

Colossians 3 Rules for Christian Households
18Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

1 Peter 3 Wives and Husbands

1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, 6like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. 7Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

Marriage is said to be "honorable"

Hebrews 13

4Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
and the prohibition of it is noted as one of the marks of degenerate times 1

Timothy 4
3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Symbolism
The marriage relation is used to represent the union between God and his people

Isaiah 54
5 For your Maker is your husband-
the LORD Almighty is his name-
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
he is called the God of all the earth.

Hosea 2
20 I will betroth you in faithfulness,
and you will acknowledge the LORD
In the New Testament the same figure is employed in representing the love of Christ to his saints

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[1] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Damnation
in Rom. 13:2, means "condemnation," which comes on those who withstand God's ordinance of magistracy – Note that this sentence of condemnation comes not from the magistrate, but from God, whose authority is thus resisted.

In 1 Cor. 11:29 (R.V., "judgment") this word means condemnation, in the sense of exposure to severe temporal judgements from God, as the following verse explains.

The book of Romans has been likened to a "Primer" to Christian life - A primer is a smaller book that is used to explain a BIG concept in smaller, more understandable pieces, or an outline of the fundamentals - - Paul wrote it and used it as an introduction of him to them - He wanted them to know who he was before he got there - Romans basically states that you are saved by Grace, NOT by what you do (Works) - Paul states that none of us is "worthy" or deserves our salvation. it is simply our "Free Gift" of Jesus from God - Basically Romans takes us back to basics so we can find our way to God and then figure out life in light of his love - Paul uses this letter to the Romans to make a ver BOLD statement many times over - The message of salvation - Before we come to believe in Christ and his sacrifice, we are dead to our sins - We are spiritual corpses. Our bodies may be carrying on, but our spirits have NO BREATH in them. We don't function. We CANNOT do the things we were created to do like spill joy and kindness and patience and abundant life. But if we ACCEPT Christs sacrifice for our sins and put our faith in HIS goodness rather than our own, THEN WE come to life (Born again) - The Holy Spirit then breathes HIS LIFE into us, and our spirits come alive and dance and sing in the light of Gods love. 1:16 says For Iam NOT ASHAMED of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to SALVATION for everyone who believes!

While being challenged, it should be clear that there are many discussions or work arounds, but the bottom line is that we obey the law, and the law dictates a certificate. The sanctity of marriage / the convenant was God ordained and should be honored as such. It is simply sin and adultery without it.

Sorry for the length - I had pieced this together for my second to oldest a few years ago when he and his fiance were just living together.

Favor Minded...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, good point Laurie, I assumed we were speaking of adults and I assumed that they were serious about each other - loved each other. Pretty naive on my part. (as she wipes the egg from her face) [Wink]

Bat Elohim, I wondered what you think about the days when marriages were arranged?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

I don't really know what two adults in that situation should do, but I do have a difficult time advocating marriage for two young teenagers who might find themselves in such a situation. My preference in the case of a mother being under the age of 15 is that the child be adopted and raised by her parents or some other responsible adults.

Two adults, believers, need to be on their knees figuring out how they went so wrong and what the Lord wants them to do, and I believe they should be in meetings with their church elders as well.

Non-believers - well, we can't dictate ethics or morality to them. They have no genuine basis for it, because their lives are built on sand. They either believe in nothing or believe that man is inherently good, which means any reasoning they use to make ethical decisions is faulty. Paul said we are to worry about the conduct of the believers who make up our Christian community.

redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Thanks for your response. I guess I was assuming (in my mind) that the two are in a relationship, even though I didn't explicitly state that. Of course, I would never expect someone to marry a person who has raped her.

The problem I have is that we are humans with free will. We all make mistakes. Therefore, two people may be Christians, and succomb to the sexual temptations. Let's say it wasn't God's will that they were to be married, but yet she gets pregnant. Being Christians, there is still some pressure that they should get married. Personally, I don't believe they should just because she got pregnant. I guess I'm just looking for some insights from others on the matter. Or would some say that if it wasn't God's will for them to be married, then she wouldn't get pregnant? But, then, you open the door to those looking for an excuse to have sex outside of marriage...

[Confused]

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the operative word that you used is in a relationship.

Someone who is raped and decides to keep the child, should not be expected to marry the one who raped her.

But I believe that a couple who were in a relatiohsip that was intimate and she became preganant should marry. I believe that children if at all possible would benefit from having two parents in the home.

However, I think that even that statement, I would qualify with this.. that is if they are BOTH believers.

I would NOT encourage my daughter should she become preganant out of marriage (GOD FORBID!!) to marry an unbeliever.

THere are so many issues to consider, but above all I would have to consider that she not commit a second sin of becoming unequally yoked while trying to correct the first one that she cannot undo anyway, which was sex outside of marriage in the firstplace.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 5 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing a lot of browsing and searching today, but couldn't find a topic about what I am seeking opinions on, so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

"Back in the day", it was assumed that if a woman got pregnant out of wedlock, the two should get married. Today, it is much more acceptable to be a single mom (or dad in rarer cases). How do you all feel about this? Should a couple in a relationship get married if the woman becomes pregnant?

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement