Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Synagogue/Temple

Author Topic: Synagogue/Temple
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 17 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace,

I never really thought about it except when watching the Indiana Jones movie. I always assumed that up until AD 70, it was still in the Holy of Holies, behind the veil. After that, I'm not sure that anyone really knows.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your insight folks. It helps me to see that -

Synagogues, much like to-day, were used for worship, prayer and studying the scriptures.

Temples were more of a sacrificial centre where they brought their treasures (tithings?) Temples seemed like quite a communal gathering spot because they had courtyards. There also were temple guards. Holy Days were celebrated there -

Showing sense of community and Jesus also preached there -
John 8:2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them.

Sacrifices -
Psalm 66:13 Now I come to the Temple with burnt offerings, to fulfill the vows I made to you.

2 Chron. 7:11,12 So Solomon finished building the Temple of the Lord, as well as the royal palace. He completed everything he planned to do.
Then one night the Lord appeared to Solomon and said. " I have heard your prayer and have chosen this Temple as the place for making sacrifices."

Re Holy Days -
2 Chron 30:1 Hezekiah sent word to all Israel and Judah and also wrote letters to Ephraim and Manasseh, inviting them to come to the temple of the Lord in Jerusalem and celebrate the Passover to the Lord, the God of Israel.

I was aware before that a temple was built in order to hold the Ark of the Covenant, but a new question has come to mind. Where was this Ark during New Testament times?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 16 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace,

Funny you should ask. I was just this morning reading in a commentary on the Gospel of Mark. In XI.15,16, talking about Jesus' activity in the Temple, the author had the following to say.

quote:
The Lord's attitude to the Temple is an interesting study; at the age of twelve He treats it as a place of instruction (Lk. ii.46). He may even have described it 'my Father's house' (Lk. ii.49), though 'my Father's business' is a safer translation of the Greek. In the present context it is described as a house of prayer (17), as any synagogue might be described (see Acts xvi.13, where the name proseuche, 'prayer place', is used, not even sunagoge). In the parable of the publican and sinner (Lk. xviii.10) it is again a place of prayer, though some have seen a subtle reference to the temple sacrifices in the word used by the publican, hilastheti ('be merciful' or 'propitiated', Lk. xviii.13). From the Saying forbidding oaths (Mt. xxiii.16ff.) it is clear that heaven, earth or Jerusalem only gained their sanctity to Christ by virtue of their relationship to God's plan and purpose, whether in creation (as heaven and earth) or revelation (as Jerusalem). So the Lord's view of the Temple was not primarily as a place of sacrifice, still less as a static dwelling-place, but a place of prayer and teaching and an outward reflection to mankind of God's very nature. Christ neither despised nor minimized the Temple, as we can see from the wrath that its profanation aroused within Him. It is in the light of this unexpected side of His character that we can see how to some He appeared as 'Elijah redivivus' (vi.15).

It is not thus strange that this concept of the Temple is exactly that of the early disciples in Acts; they go to the Temple at what is described as the 'hour of prayer' (Acts iii.1), though it is actually the hour of the evening sacrifice. The colonnades of the Temple are where the rabbis of the new 'sect' sit expounding their 'Way' (Acts iii.11), until expelled by the parent body of Judaism. This concept is, indeed, far closer to that of the synagogue than that of the Temple proper; for synagogues were, by definition, places for prayer (Acts xvi.13), and instruction (Acts xiii.15). The modern Ashkenazi Jew will say Schul ('school') for synagogue in Yiddish, without any consciousness of how his speech betrays his theological position. Seeing that, while the Temple gave a picture of the Church universal, the synagogue was almost certainly the pattern upon which the local church was organized, this point has vast theological implications.

Cole, Alan. The Gospel According to St. Mark: An Introduction and Commentary. Grand Rapids: The Tyndale Press, 1976, pp. 178, 179.

[type]

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Temple: Was the "house of God" in Jerusalem, where God was present through the Ark of the Covenant. The Jews went to the Temple to adore God and make sacrifices to him. The center of everything was God... every ritual involved an altar, a sacrifice, and a priest to offer it.
The Synagogue: Is a "hall or place of meeting". God is not present there in the Ark of the Covenant, and the Jews go to the Synagogue to meet together to pray, to learn the Holy Scriptures, and to help each other in all spiritual and social aspects. It is what actually do the Jews today in their Synagogues, and many Protestants in their Services. The center here is the "people"… there is no altar, no priests, no sacrifices, only rabbis (teachers), or preachers in the Protestant counterparts.
The word synagogue comes from the Greek word synagien, meaning to bring together. A synagogue is a Jewish house of worship that not only is a place for liturgical services but also assembly and study.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the Bible refers to the Jewish place of worship as a temple and others times as a synagogue. Is it the same thing? [Confused]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement