Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » former atheist

Author Topic: former atheist
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
voxman41, Bless your sincerity

I can say I believe and chair will hold me when I sit in it, but the word believe used of Salvation carries a stronger meaning than just to say I believe.

If I really believe I will sit in the chair, and not just say the chair will hold me up.

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

You can put your heart at rest, if your heart is trusting in His Blood, He will not let you fall.

read and meditate on

Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by voxman41:
About one month ago, I accepted Jesus as my saviour and believe in God now. I've been an atheist for my whole life up to that point. My question is, am I relying on blind faith about believing and accepting? Since I've been a non-believer for so long, I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm accepting. [1zhelp]

First and Formost, you accept that you will always have some one to turn to, to lay your problems on and to comfort you when you are all alone.

That person is Christ Jesus.

There a bunch of fine print involved and such, but, the finer the print the longer it can wait to be gotten around to. [pound]

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
voxman41
Advanced Member
Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for voxman41     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
Posts: 22 | From: West Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by voxman41:
I never put any faith or energy into being an atheist. I just was. I never cared to figure it all out. As far as being a Christian, this is what I'm confused about. I want and do believe, but why? I don't get it. I sit in my Bible study group on Sunday and learn about the word but feel so out of touch with everyone else who's been at this a lot longer than me. I know that I'm new to this, but I still don't understand what it means to accept and believe. [Confused]

Sounds like you were more of an agnostic than an atheist. The Holy Spirit of God moves in different ways. Pray for His help before you read your Bible. Something as simple as "God, I don't really understand what You want me to do or know or whatever... I need Your Holy Spirit to help me understand Your Word."

I'm not saying you'll get a bright light that'll knock you off your chair - then again, you might [Smile] - The Spirit will persevere with you. It took John Wesley years before he got it - and he was already an Anglican priest by then. Luther had been a monk for years. The apostles followed Jesus for three years and still didn't get it - until the Holy Spirit came on them. The Spirit uses others to help sometimes.

Peter left these words for us about growing in our Christianity:
quote:
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-11 NKJV
It speaks of building on your seed of faith, and doing so inwardly until that faith shows outwardly in the living of your life.

More later,
Dan

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
voxman41
Advanced Member
Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for voxman41     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never put any faith or energy into being an atheist. I just was. I never cared to figure it all out. As far as being a Christian, this is what I'm confused about. I want and do believe, but why? I don't get it. I sit in my Bible study group on Sunday and learn about the word but feel so out of touch with everyone else who's been at this a lot longer than me. I know that I'm new to this, but I still don't understand what it means to accept and believe. [Confused]
Posts: 22 | From: West Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voxman,

Most of us don't make it down to this forum - at least it seems that way some times. Let me ask you a quick question. I don't mean it to be a loaded question so don't feel like I'm pressuring you answer publicly if you feel uneasy about it; you can always send a private message or ignore me (that's one of the great things about a board like this [Big Grin] )

quote:
Do you find it takes more faith to be an atheist or a Christian?
I mean the atheist has to accept certain things on faith, like the interdependency of the sciences and and their theories, or even just the origins of all things - for example, if one believes in the "big bang" theory, where did that infinitely dense material come from? ...or, considering the inconceivable odds on coming up with an entire system which includes the human being in all it's intricate detail, is natural selection and bio-evolutionary theory really more likely than God creating us? And do all the sciences actually back up these theories or are they simply silent so as not to rock the boat?

The more I study (Scripture and science), the more firmly convinced I am of God's intimate role in this world from its beginings until now, and I have faith that reality is as His Word has defined it, and so I have faith in the future His Word defines aslo. I see many who have faith in various theories and hold tightly to them even when solid evidence refutes them. I don't worry about where God came from - I admit to simply having faith He has always existed.

It's a big question, but the more you live your faith, the more He is revealed in your life.

Dan

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
voxman41
Advanced Member
Member # 3545

Icon 17 posted      Profile for voxman41     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About one month ago, I accepted Jesus as my saviour and believe in God now. I've been an atheist for my whole life up to that point. My question is, am I relying on blind faith about believing and accepting? Since I've been a non-believer for so long, I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm accepting. [1zhelp]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement