Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Drinking in the Bible

Author Topic: Drinking in the Bible
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOJJE
States:

quote:
Is it wrong for me to tell him then that he should not drink underage because of the dangers of drunkeness, or should I accept the fact that he will drink and to support him where I can. What would you tell him if you were in my situation?
No sir tell him whats on your heart. He is underage and its against the law for him to purchase or drink alcohol.

In my above post let me clear something up.. Even tho as i stated that a glass of wine is ok for me to drink, (with the exception of stumbling my brother), i do not advocate party drinking, open social drinking. If i drink a glass of wine or not it will be at home.

So i hope this answers your question. Remember the scriptures about wine being a mocker, and "be not given to much wine" wherein is excess!

If one is drinking wine, one should ask himself.. WHY?

If onr is trying to get a buz, maybe that ones heart is in the wrong place.
This country surely abuses alcohol..no doubt.

i just would like to bring out the principal that one should not state that it is sin to drink wine when the Lord surely drank wine..

When Paul advocated a little wine for the stomachs sake and many infirmities.

barry

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOJJE
Member # 2489

Icon 5 posted      Profile for FOJJE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am a leader at my youth group and a brother and I got in a long discussion about drinking and what to do about it. He drinks at parties while I refrain from drinking here at college. Is it wrong for me to tell him then that he should not drink underage because of the dangers of drunkeness, or should I accept the fact that he will drink and to support him where I can. What would you tell him if you were in my situation?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 2 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take on this subject would be to be careful in all things.

The word states:

LK 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
LK 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

ROM 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Again Paul states:

1TIM 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Why did Paul make that statement?
The alcohol killed germs in the stomach.

Remember the principal of a matter and not the appearance of the matter.

Some friends of mine were against any type of alcohol at all, arguing that it was sin.
When we were talking about it this person had a bag of groceries she had just put on the counter and as she unloaded the bag she took out a bottle of NyQual (sp?). i ask may i see that bottle, she said yes, i took the bottle and saw about 20% alcohol content. i ask you would not drink a glass of wine for a stomach infirmity but you would drink NyQyil? SHe said yes im a baptist.

i do not advocate everyone drinking. i do not see harm in a glass of wine. If God has convicted one not to drink , then by all means DO NOT.

Remember WINE IS A MOCKER, and the word states a little wine.

PROV 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

One is not to drink wine to excess.

EPH 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

The individual must seek God on the matter.

i personally would rather drink a glass of wine than NyQuil.

i was a drunk before the Lord saved me. i was what the world would call an alcoholic.
The Lord so graciouly saved me on Jan 18, 1983.

For over fifteen years never touched a drop of beer, wine, whiskey, or any type liquoir.
i will ocassionally have a glass of wine, especially when i have a stomach ache.

The Lord saved me and delivered me, i did not have to go to AA or anywhere to help. Actually i have been to the AA type meetings with an X Brother in LAW. Your not delivered there, mostly one just never drinks anymore.. There always going to be a "drunkard" alcoholic.

Ironically they teach that Alcoholism is a disease. WOW can you believe that. If Alcoholism was truly a disease it would be the only one that God would not allow you into heaven for.

No drunkards will inter in heaven.

1COR 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1COR 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Alcoholism is a SIN..not disease...~!

SO why would any want to go to a place where your not "set free"..Yahshua [Jesus] can and will set one free. He did it for me and he will do it for anyone, He is not a respector of persons.

Should i encourage underage drinking..Certainly not. We are to obey the laws set before us, unless they contradict the Law of God and cause us to sin.

One must be careful of rebellion here.

If my son stomach hurt and i gave him a glass of wine (he's 10) am i sinning. NO; My son is under my authority.

Dont take me wrong my 10 year old has not drank a glass of wine, but if his stomach hurt i would give him a few ounces to kill the bug.

i would not ever advocate an underage person not under my authority to drink alchohol.
Drinking at all while driving is wrong...

Now having said all that, if wine, or pork or whatever causes my brother to stumble then put it off.

If one was coming to my house and he thought it sin to eat pork, ill not serve my brother pork. For conscience sake.

ROM 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Note that "do not be "drunk" with wine..wherein is EXCESS. It did not say to drink wine is a sin, for then you would be unwittingly calling Yahshua [Jesus} a sinner, just like the Pharasee's did when they called Him a "winebibber".

AA is not (in my opinion) a good organization..... To be a part they say you must believe in a higher power. Even a "chair" it does not have to be the GOD (YaHWeH) of Abraham Isacc and Jacob (Israel).

They just talk or try to talk people out of being a drunk. There is not deliverence.. This is from my experience with them with X Brother in Law and my earthly sister.

To sum up is it sin to drink wine.... No
Is it sin to be drunk................ Yes

Is it wise for any and everyone to drink .......NO

If God tells one to stay away from it by all means follow God.

This is the way i see the matter from scripture.

barry

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are Christians, under the microscope. I want to be seen as a child of Christ, so others might follow Him. What I do is what people see and defines the Christian that I am.

Just my thoughts. For those of you that are thinking about drinking. Find an AAA meeting, a Children of Alcoholics Meeting, or some sort of drug/alcohol abuse group... attend one meeting. Just one, it will change your thoughts.

In His continual service,
Sky

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Amen!!!!!!!!

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonderful_sky
Advanced Member
Member # 1808

Icon 18 posted      Profile for wonderful_sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read this conversation days ago, there was just the question and yet to be a reply. I left the subject alone for many reasons.

1: I am the adult child of an acoholic.
2: What we do as Christian are not just seen by God, but can be the deterant for others to follow him.
3: I have drank alcohol, drank myself to drunkedness, and spent the night worshipping the porcelain god, instead of The Father, God.

I know a man that drove a car like a maniac. He thought it was funny to go as fast as he could, drive erratically, and make people laugh. One day his minister saw him driving in his crazy behavior... he pulled this man to the side. This man was a dad, a member of the church, and had a lot to do with the youth. The minister said to the man, the youth of this church see you driving like this, they look up to you. How would you feel when one of them want to be like you, and are killed or injured because they can not handle a car like you do? Talk about a wake up call! This changed the man. Changed how he thought. His driving improved and he did not find it funny anymore.

I think the same goes for alcohol. Consuming alcohol might be okay on occasion, but you better be aware of what your drinking might cause another to do.

We are Christians, under the microscope. I want to be seen as a child of Christ, so others might follow Him. What I do is what people see and defines the Christian that I am.

Just my thoughts. For those of you that are thinking about drinking. Find an AAA meeting, a Children of Alcoholics Meeting, or some sort of drug/alcohol abuse group... attend one meeting. Just one, it will change your thoughts.

In His continual service,
Sky [dance]

--------------------
He who kneels down to God, can stand up to anything [Prayer]

Posts: 220 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 19 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wine does have health benefits. I think you should wait until you are 21 though [dance]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DaTank:
wow i never heard that... Just one question do you speed?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No I do not.

I do help clean up the destructive results of underage consumption and iniquity. I have helped pick-up the broken bodies and shattered lives of those who have broken the law, and suffered the consequences.

Those who seek to justify iniquity create a destructive slippery-slope of iniquity.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaTank
Advanced Member
Member # 2818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaTank   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Underage drinking IS a violation of the civil laws of this nation, and a Christian should not be a lawbreaker nor encourage or enable others to do so. One who knowingly breaks the law and encourages others to do so has no credibility as a Christian witness.
wow i never heard that... Just one question do you speed?

--------------------
Tim

"It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone- but it takes a lifetime to forget someone."

Life is an open book test... that's why God gave us the bible...

Posts: 23 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ps139     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been some good points made.
Alcohol is very dangerous. In the past I have gotten drunk and done some regrettable things that I would take back if I had the opportunity.

My post may have come across as more of an endorsement of alcohol than a warning. I'd like to clarify - be warned.

Drinking wine with your family at dinner is not bad, or having a beer at the family BBQ.

But I do not recommend getting bombed at some frat party, where the people around you are most likely going to be very irresponsible drinkers who set bad examples.

Thats why I emphasized the situation you are in.
Be smart, and err on the side of caution.

--------------------
It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. - Martin Luther

Posts: 143 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KySun
Member # 2737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KySun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over 10 million Americans, 10% of all adult drinkers, are estimated to be alcoholic. One family in three is estimated to be affected in some way by a drinking problem. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences estimates that each year alcoholism and alcohol abuse in the United States cost society from $40 to $60 billion, due to lost production, health and medical care, motor vehicle accidents, violent crime, and social programs that respond to alcohol problems. Others have estimated costs to be $100 billion per year. In the United States, 97,000 deaths annually are related to excessive drinking. One-half of all traffic fatalities and one-third of all traffic injuries are related to the abuse of alcohol. One-third of all suicides and one-third of all mental health disorders are estimated to be associated with serious alcohol abuse. And the toll doesn't limit itself to adults. It has been estimated that there are over 3 million problem drinkers between the ages of 14 and 17 in the United States.[1]

Clearly, alcohol has had a devastating effect on society in general and millions of unfortunate families in particular. Consequently, it is not surprising that many people, Christian and non-Christian, take strong stands against alcohol. Consider the following quotes taken from a recent sermon:

Alcohol . . . has [left] a trail of blood across America today.
Alcohol is defiling our nation.
Many Christian denominations prohibit or discourage the use of alcohol altogether, and those which don't proscribe its use caution against drunkenness. The Bible has 17 warnings against the abuse of wine and strong drink and 19 examples of its abuse. Churches are cautioned in 3 epistles not to select leaders who are "given to drunkenness" or "given to much wine."

Wine in Jesus days was not as it is today.

--------------------
"God promises to give us our daily bread, He doesen't guarantee it will be buttered"

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ps139     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
[QB] Underage drinking IS a violation of the civil laws of this nation, and a Christian should not be a lawbreaker nor encourage or enable others to do so. One who knowingly breaks the law and encourages others to do so has no credibility as a Christian witness.

If you are a Christian and publicly declared for Christ, then others will be observent of how you live your life for Christ.

Caretaker-
In the country I live in, abortion is legal, but it is illegal to pray in public school. Homosexual "marriages" are getting legalized, and Christian student groups at colleges are getting banned for not allowing homosexual leaders. Television is full of sex and objectified women, but I am supposed to tolerate it. I do not trust the government. I only follow the rules God makes. We are called to civil obedience but when man's law contradicts God's law, then we abandom man's law, and live by God's law. If I am to be a lawbreaker, I will break man's law.

--------------------
It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. - Martin Luther

Posts: 143 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underage drinking IS a violation of the civil laws of this nation, and a Christian should not be a lawbreaker nor encourage or enable others to do so. One who knowingly breaks the law and encourages others to do so has no credibility as a Christian witness.

If you are a Christian and publicly declared for Christ, then others will be observent of how you live your life for Christ.

Galations 5:
19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21: Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like : of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24: And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts .
25: If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26: Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

quote:
Originally posted by FOJJE:
I am a college student and I was discussing drinking this evening with one of my brothers. What do you all think about drinking? We are both underage and I was wondering if I could get some opinions and Bible verses to back them up? Thanks and God Bless.

-Blondie

Good question.

Alcohol is not inherently evil. But getting drunk is a sin. However, drinking alcohol, and not getting drunk is not a sin. The problem here lies in "what is drunk?" "how much is too much?" Wine is mentioned 240 times in the Bible, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. My advice is that when you start feeling the effects - getting a little mellowed, relaxed - cut yourself off, or at least drink water before the next alcoholic drink, to minimize the effects of further alcohol. Drinking on an empty stomach can make you get drunk really fast, which is why you should eat a good meal before you drink.

What does the Bible say?

In Mark 7 we see the Pharisees criticizing the disciples for not washing their hands properly before eating. They accused Jesus and the disciples of being unclean. Jesus responds about what uncleanliness really is (Mark 7:14-23):

Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "
After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")
2e went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "

There we see that sin and uncleanliness lies in the human heart, not in what we put into our bodies. I believe it is a sin to put something in your body that would stir up these evil thoughts, and tempt you to sin, such as getting drunk, doing drugs etc.

In John 2:1-11, we see Jesus turn water into wine. If drinking alcohol were a sin, Jesus would not have done this.

In Genesis 14:18, we see the high priest and king of Salem, Melchisedek, bring out wine. Surely such a righteous man would not do this if drinking were a sin.

Paul, in Ephesians 5:18, warns us - "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

Paul again warns of too much alcohol in Titus 2:3 - "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. "

In First Timothy, Paul says that wine can be good. 1 Tim 5:23 - "Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses"

Again in 1 Timothy3:8, Paul says that wine can be good, but too much wine is bad - not proper behavior for a man of God: "Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. "

So, it really depends on how you control yourself. When you feel like its kicking in, slow down or stop. Those are like warning signs. If you feel like it will cause you to sin, then don't do it, its as simple as that.

You are underage. I personally do not believe that if you have a drink you are sinning just because you are underage. The age law is made by men - in Italy you can drink at 14. Are the Italians any more right than us? But use your judgement - do not drink if you can get caught by police or by campus authorities - RAs and such. But if you are in a comfortable and safe environment, I do not think its bad to try a little bit. Some Christians may argue that Romans 13 forbids underage drinking. I see their point but I believe it is too literal an approach. I think Rom.13 was more to protect the early Church, to not invite persecution.

Feel free to PM me or write back if you have any questions.

--------------------

FOJJE
Member # 2489

Icon 15 posted      Profile for FOJJE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a college student and I was discussing drinking this evening with one of my brothers. What do you all think about drinking? We are both underage and I was wondering if I could get some opinions and Bible verses to back them up? Thanks and God Bless.

-Blondie

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement