Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » " What is the Trinity"?

Author Topic: " What is the Trinity"?
Trafield
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would add only that they the three phases exist simultaneously.

Amen, great point!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a fantastic analogy Tracy, one that would be wonderful to use with youth. Thank you for sharing that. I would add only that they the three phases exist simultaneously.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

For anyone that has trouble understanding the Holy Trinity, that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all parts of ONE GOD...all you have to do is think about the different forms of H2O.

What is water? H2O.
What is ice? H20.
What is steam? H20.

Romans 1:20
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN THREE GODS OR ONE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bible definitely teaches that the Father is God, that the Son is God, and that the Holy Spirit is God. It also shows that each has a distinct personality. That adds up to three Gods, right? Yes, if we are working with mathematics or thinking of three separate people. But we are dealing with a God who is revealed in the Bible as one God, who has existed eternally as three distinct (not separate) Persons.

God is one Being, not three. It follows that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not three separate Persons. We can distinguish between them, but we cannot separate them.

As distinct Persons, each functions in His own unique manner. The Father is the Originator, the Son is the Agent, and the Holy Spirit is the Administrator or Applicator. Each lives with the other two in an I-You relationship. Each Person is self-conscious and self-directing. Yet one Person never acts independently of the others or in opposition to them. The mind, will, and emotions of each Person is in perfect unity with the mind, will, and emotions of the other two.

All three Persons were involved in the creation of all things. It was "by Him" (Jesus Christ) that God created all things (Col. 1:16). The creation story in Genesis 1:2 portrays the Spirit of God as "hovering over the face of the waters."

In salvation, "God [the Father] so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son" (John 3:16). After Christ's resurrection and ascension to heaven, both He and the Father sent the Holy Spirit (John 14:16; 16:7).

The distinction between the three Persons in the Godhead was clearly in evidence at the time of our Lord's baptism. In Matthew 3:16-17 we see the Son coming up out of the water, the Holy Spirit descending in the form of a dove, and we hear the Father in an audible voice declaring, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Jesus affirmed the Trinity when He commanded His disciples to baptize "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 28:19).

One God in three Persons! He is the God Christians worship and serve. In this God we have a heavenly Father who loves us with parental love and at great cost sent His one and only Son to die on the cross for our salvation. In this God we have Jesus Christ, a brother who became one of us to take the punishment we deserved, who understands our pain, and who isn't ashamed to call us His brothers and sisters even though we continue to be weak and imperfect. In this God we have the Person of the Holy Spirit as our Helper--a divine Comforter who lives in us to strengthen us and give us victory over sin.

This triune God hears us when we pray. He understands us and feels with us when we suffer. He will be with us at the time of death to see us safely home. How important and how comforting it is to believe in the triune God of the Bible!

http://www.gospelcom.net/rbc/ds/q0107/

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God in Three Persons

In the Bible, God manifests Himself to us in three ways: as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit impregnated the virgin Mary who gave birth to Jesus Christ. Thus, Christ became God in the flesh, so He possessed the power of the Holy Spirit. The Almighty Father’s power is channeled through His Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ was filled with this Spirit, thereby giving Him powers of Almighty God. Thus, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Almighty Father are all components of the same triune God.

There is only one God (not more than one). God has three facets, persons, or manifestations. There are not three separate gods, but one God with three persons.

DEU 6:4 -- The Lord God is one God.
MAR 12:29 -- The Lord God is one.
Jesus Christ is the way to God. He is God’s mediator.

JOH 14:6 -- Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; nobody comes to the Father but by me."
ACT 4:12 -- There is no salvation in any other; for there is no other name under heaven, given to us, whereby we can be saved.
1 CO 8:4-6 -- An idol has no existence. There is only one God the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ.
EPH 2:18 -- Through Jesus Christ we have access, in Spirit, to God.
GAL 3:20 -- An intermediary implies more than one, but God is one being.
1 TI 2:5 -- There is only one God, and the only mediator between Him and mankind is Jesus Christ.
Although Jesus represents a separate person from the Father, Jesus is God just like the Father is God.

ISA 9:6 -- A child is born for us; a Son is given to us. The government will be on His shoulders. His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, mighty God, everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
JOH 20:28 -- Thomas called Jesus Lord and God.
PHP 2:5-11 -- Keep your thoughts on Jesus Christ, who, although He was God in the flesh, did not glorify Himself, but became a servant. As a man, He humbled Himself, becoming obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Therefore, God has exalted Him, giving Him a name above all others. Everyone should bow before Jesus Christ, whether they are in heaven or on earth. Every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
COL 2:9 -- In Jesus the whole deity of God lives.
2 PE 1:1,11 -- Peter called Jesus God and Savior and referred to His eternal kingdom.
1 JO 2:23 -- Whoever denies the Son, denies the Father. Whoever acknowledges the Son, acknowledges the Father.
Jesus Christ and the Almighty Father are one in the same.

ISA 43:10-12,15 -- There are no gods before Him or after Him. God says, "You are witnesses to what I have said. My servant whom I have chosen is also sent to be a witness, so that you can know me and believe; and even so, I am He. I am the Lord and there is no other savior besides me. I have declared myself to you and I have saved you whenever you have forsaken all other gods for me. You are witnesses that I am God, the Holy One, the creator of Israel, and your King."
ISA 44:6,24 -- God, and His Redeemer the Lord of hosts, say, "I am the first and last; there are no other gods besides me. I am the Lord who makes everything, who stretches the heavens above, and who spreads the earth abroad."
ISA 45:11-13,21-22 -- The Lord the Holy One of Israel, and His Maker, say, "I created the earth and mankind, the heavens and all the heavenly hosts. I have raised up a righteous One and I will direct Him in all His ways. He will build my city and free my people, expecting nothing in return. Look to me and I will save you, for I am God and there are no others."
JOH 1:1-4,14 -- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things were made by Him. In Him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. The Word was made flesh and lived among us; and we saw His glory, like the glory of the only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
JOH 1:15,18,30 -- John the Baptist said that Jesus would come after him, that He ranks before him, and that He came before him as well. He said that only the Son, who is in the Father’s bosom, knows the Father.
JOH 8:19,42,58 -- Jesus said, "If you know me you know the Father. I came from the Father (God). I tell you the truth, before Abraham was, I am."
JOH 10:30 -- Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."
JOH 14:9-11 -- Jesus said, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father, because the Father lives in me and I in Him."
JOH 17:3-5,20-21 -- Jesus referred to God as the only true God. Jesus referred to the glory He had before the world was made. Then Jesus prayed for all believers that they may be one, even as He is one with God.
Jesus and the Father have been and will be together forever.

COL 3:11 -- Christ is all and in all.
HEB 13:8 -- Jesus Christ is the same today, yesterday, and forever.
JAM 2:19 -- Even the demons believe that Jesus is one with God (references -- MAT 8:29; MAR 3:11; LUK 4:34).
REV 1:8 -- Jesus said, "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end; which is, was, and which always will be -- the Almighty."
The Holy Spirit is God; both the Almighty Father and His Son Jesus Christ possess this Spirit.

ISA 11:2 -- The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon the Messiah -- the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, might, knowledge, and the fear of the Lord.
LUK 4:1 -- Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit.
JOH 4:24 -- God is Spirit and should be worshipped in spirit and in truth.
JOH 14:26; JOH 15:26 -- Jesus informed the apostles, "The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, who the Father will send in my name..." and, "I will send the Comforter, the Holy Spirit." (If the Father will send the Holy Spirit and Jesus will send the Holy Spirit, then the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit must be one).
ACT 20:28 -- Paul referred to the Holy Spirit as the divine overseer of those purchased by the shedding of His own blood by Jesus Christ.
Direct references to the Trinity.

ISA 48:16 -- Come and listen. I have not spoken in secret since the beginning. I was there all along, and now, the Lord God and His Spirit have sent me.
MAT 28:18-20 -- Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and earth is given to me. Go and teach everyone what I have taught you, and baptize them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." (Note that the word "name" is singular, but three persons are mentioned.)
2 CO 13:14 -- Paul referred to the trinity: the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communication of the Holy Spirit be with you.
COL 2:2 -- My (Paul’s) hope is that their hearts will be comforted, being bound together in love, and that they receive the riches of understanding and acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Heavenly Father, and of Jesus Christ.
1 JO 5:6-7,20 -- There are three that are recorded in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. The Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit bears the truth. We are in Jesus Christ who is true, so we are also in God who is true; He is the source of eternal life.
Read or sing the following hymn to yourself as you pray these words to the Lord.

Holy, Holy, Holy

Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty!

Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee.

Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and mighty;

God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

Holy, Holy, Holy! Though the darkness hide Thee,

Though the eye of sinful man, Thy glory may not see,

Only Thou art Holy; there is none beside Thee,

Perfect in power, in love, and purity.

Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty!

All Thy works shall praise Thy name in earth, and sky, and sea.

Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and mighty;

God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

http://www.specialdpress.com/trinity.htm

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Alstad
Advanced Member
Member # 2534

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Chris Alstad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the explanation of the Nicene Creed. Yet, I try to simplify it by saying, The trinity is the godhead, which is one God, with three distinct offices (persons). This is super simplistic, but it helps me. No one has completely understood it, that I know of, but we try.

from Chris Alstad
www.CMM3.com

Posts: 68 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nohim4myself
Member # 2565

Icon 16 posted      Profile for nohim4myself   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinity means three which is the FATHER-SON-HOLY SPIRIT

AS IT IS DEFINE A GROUP OF THREE www.infopop.com

Posts: 2 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nohim4myself
Member # 2565

Icon 16 posted      Profile for nohim4myself   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinity means three which is the FATHER-SON-HOLY SPIRIT

AS IT IS DEFINE A GROUP OF THREE

Posts: 2 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time – Element - Realty

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asked to comment on this thread, and so I will. I had difficulty with the simplicity of this question.

The dictionary says that trinity is threeness or the condition of existing in three things or persons... a group of three.

I dont like that definition. In Christianity, the word trinity speaks of the Father God, The Word of God, and the Holy SPirit as being a Holy Trinity.

I would rather say that God is triune.

I believe that man created in the image of God is also Triune. Man is body, soul and spirit.
It is intresting to me because so often we see salvation as something that is extended to the soul or the Spirit, but I see that Salvation is extended to the Triune man and the resurrection and glorification of the Body of man is as important as the eternal exisitance of spirit and the salvation and restoration of soul.

I see that God is ONE God, and that he expresses himself in a trinity or in the triuneness of his WORD... that was manifest in the Flesh of Jesus Christ and called the SON of God, and in HIS Spirit... the Holy SPirit that dwells with man, comforts, guides, and teaches, and in the Father God, who chastens and corrects his children, nurtures and loves them, provides for them, plans for them, and gives to them an inheirtence.

I also see that there is an unholy trinity and this is why I like to speak of the triuneness of God rather than God as trinity, because the unholy trinity is 3 separate things... The spirit being that is Satan has tried to duplicate the triuneness of God but being unable to do this the un-holy trinity is three separate things... The created Spirit being called Satan, who with no creative powers of his own cannot manifest a Son or flesh image of his invisable self and so will at some point embody a human being as the Antichrist and use through influence the soul of the False Prophet. Thus he will operate in a flawed capacity that is the best imitation that he can muster of the Almighty God who is by nature or better said supernaturally triune.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck_Slotter
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by INWARDLY:
same as above

Dr. Walter Martin suggests you follow the scripture format listed below
to prove the Trinity.

a. The Father is God. Eph. 1:2

b. Jesus is God. John 1:1, 5:18, 20:28, Isa. 9:6, Heb. 1:16, 8, 10-12,
Rev. 1:8, Rev. 22:12,13

c. The Holy Spirit is God. Acts 5:3-4, Gen. 1:2

d. There is only One God. Deut. 6:4, John 17:3, Isa. 42-48

These four points shown in above order will help you prove the Trinity
with most people who are skeptical about this vital doctrinal issue.
(Complete Evangelism, p.164)

2 Peter says there is a Person called the Father, and he's God. And Acts chapter 5 says there is a person called the Spirit and he's God.

And John 1 says there is a person called the Word and he's God.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen."-II Cor. 13:14

INWARDLY
Advanced Member
Member # 2493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INWARDLY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same as above
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement