Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Errors in the Bible

Author Topic: Errors in the Bible
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 15 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the Bible at face value. I study the Bible to see what God has for me. I do not study to see if there are contradictions. I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen Up. I'll say this right now. Jesus said alot more than just "Father, Father, Why have you so forsaken me. And yes, the top of the cross said "King of the Jews". Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. All witnessed everything and wrote about it. And since there's 4 different people, they wrote it in their own words. It still has the same meaning though. Crazy Atheists. Ya know? They think they're so smart and really want to try to rely on their Dumb Logic.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>Once upon a time in the state of Nebraska, there was a small village with a most wonderful mayor. He was a great benefactor to the citizens of the village and when he died, the town people decided to have a biography written to inspire future generations with his wisdom, compassion, and good deeds.

… A good example of man wanting to leave their good actions so that other may learn from it.

>Fortunately, four well-known biographers resided in the village.

… Just known! but not inspired by a Holy God.

>Each was independently assigned the task of writing the biography. When they were completed, the town folk decided to bind each of the biographies into one book, which they entitled, "The life and works of Mayor Taylor."
The people of the village loved their biography of Mayor Taylor; some of the town folks said the biography was well written; others said it was excellent; still others said it was error free.

… In there understanding, yes it was error free but in reality it was full of dead mans bones.

>"Wait a minute," said Joe, a young resident of the village,
 "The first biographer lists the mayor's address as 4703 Lankly Avenue."
 "The second biographer lists the mayor's address as 4705 Lankly Avenue."
 "The third biographer lists the mayor's address as 4707 Lankly Avenue."
 "The fourth biographer lists the mayor's address as 4709 Lankly Avenue."

… That is normal in some part of the country to relate and address in that way making it look that it was not so. In my country, there are some villages that we some times refer as a particular number and the people by talking to the person would know exactly the location.

>"The book may be fine indeed but it is NOT error free. How can it be?"

… Simple it was written by a man.

>Bob said, "Well - perhaps an earlier version of the book was error free."
"I don't think so," replied Joe, "it is unlikely that at one time all authors recorded the correct address and THREE somehow got garbled since the first edition." "But, after all, the book we have before us now is NOT error free!" "It may have many worthwhile tales about the life of our late mayor Taylor, but obviously it is NOT error free."
There are four DIFFERENT addresses given for the Mayor's residence.

… Yes they are four and all four does relate to one.

>Some say that the Bible is error free. Four of its authors record the words affixed to the cross on which Jesus died.
 Mark says it read: And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS 15:26
 Matthew says it read: And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS 27:37
 Luke says it read: And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. 23:38
 John says it read: And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. 19:19
>All four agree on the gist but all four messages cannot be what was actually written. Only one, at most, can be correct or what one might call "error free."

… These is where mans understanding is like a valley, dead. This readings in the bible can only be reveal by the Spirit of God alone, are we to put God as the author of confusion because it does not meet your need?

>One might also ask, "What were the very last words of Jesus as he died on the cross?" At least here we have two of the four authors in agreement.

… Again, this can not be understood with man understanding but with the Spirit of Righteousness.

 Both Mark and Matthew say that his last words were: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
 Luke says that his last words were: "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."
 John says that his last words were: "It is finished."

… My God, my God, why have you forsaken me, Father, into your hands I commit my spirit and It is Finish.
… There is no contradiction in the words of Jesus this is all part of the wonderful gospel that was to be reveal to mankind. You have three words that Jehovah gives to us in Jesus death and only can be understood by the Spirit fill man.
God-Father and Spirit these three are the same (remember the addresses) four but the people knew the real one.

>Only ONE of these messages could possibly be THE LAST words of Jesus; but each author says that he has captured the last and then goes on to say that Jesus died immediately thereafter. Here even the gist of the messages differ. We can see, again, by placing these texts side by side that the bible is far from error free.
If we were to say that God wrote these words and that they are error free are we kidding ourselves or are we insulting God?

… Yes you are deceiving your self in thinking that with your wicked heart you will understand the things of a righteous God. Pro_12:2

>At the time of the crucifixion Matthew says:
Two robbers were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. ... In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him. 27:38&44

… Mat 27:38 Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.
… Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

>At the time of the crucifixion Luke says:
Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals--one on his right, the other on his left. One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him. 23:32&33&39

… Luk 23:32 And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death.
… Luk 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
… Luk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
… Luk 23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

>Who is correct? Matthew or Luke? Did one of them heap insults on Jesus or both? How does one go about choosing?

… Both are correct, when we read the word of God we read it the light of the whole word not just in what makes you feel good or in what sound good. The choosing the sinner did is the cause of the goodness of God drawing this man unto Gods perfect will.

>One cannot hold that the two criminals hurled insults at Jesus and at the same time hold that only one did. If one attempts to do so then is he really trying to love God with his whole mind?

>Are we to believe that the bible is only error free when it comes to the gist of the larger issues? In my mind if the God of the universe chose to write a book it would have been error free. We would not find egregious errors of science, conflicts of facts, or inconsistency of view from chapter to chapter.
The bible is a very useful book. It is at the heart of the Western World's history and civilization. It contains the parables of Jesus as well as sage advice from a diversity of authors. Many of its stories serve as models for a better way of living.

… Excuse me, excuse me, not a model but the wonderful reality of a Perfect, Righteous Holy God that your little mind cannot and would not and will not comprehend the majesty of His work.

>There has been hope that God actually wrote a book - a "user's manual" for mankind. That is the belief which identifies a "Fundamentalist". Fundamentalism is a mind-set, independent of any particular religion.

… Foolishness is man best friend.

>Indeed that mind-set exists in all major religions - only the book differs. It is usually the holy book found in ones own region of the world. In some religions it is the Bible; in others the Koran or... But God did not write a book - in any language in any civilization. No instruction manual has been handed down from heaven. If he had written one it would have been error free. The bible is NOT.

… As Christians, the Bible is not simply a book of stories and moral truths. It is the very word of God, inspired, inerrant, true, and infallible. It is God breathed (2 Tim. 3:16). But, it is also more than that. It is the truth of God that resonates in the souls of those in whom the Holy Spirit indwells. It is the means and the measure of our lives made real by God's indwelling. It is the revelation of God's will for us and the world. It is the promise of God to deliver the believers. It is, in reality, the loving and true words of our God. In this sense, it is alive.

… Because of the God-breathed nature of the Bible, we Christians need to inhale its goodness on a regular basis. It is no different than our need to breathe. We must constantly take in air in order to live. Likewise, we must constantly take in God's word in order to live spiritually and to grow in our love and obedience to God. We cannot ignore His word and expect to grow in grace and life. We cannot set His word aside and expect to walk in goodness and truth. We cannot forget about God's word and expect to walk in holiness. On the contrary, in order to grow in our relationship with God, we must have the word of God in us. In order to walk in goodness and truth, we must study His word so it can guide us. In order to live in holiness, we must live in God's word. There is no other way. We need His word. We need His truth. We need His food for our souls. It is the cross of Christ that makes all this possible in us. The cross is where the love and truth of God was most perfectly manifested.

>We are still going to have to exercise judgment and think for ourselves. Let us realize that the bible represents the contribution of a variety of authors - each interested in having us lead a Godly life. The stories they weave represent their own viewpoints, testimonies, and observations.
As an Episcopalian I call Jesus Lord. I do not, however, consider the bible error free because I have read much of it and I find too many errors there.

… You still in blindness and God haven open yours eyes, His riches in Christ Jesus are the source of faith not yours.

>There is a lot of what one can consider absolutely great and marvelous about the bible but one can not truly call it error free.
If one were to assume that the bible were error free, one would verify that by going to the text. I go there and find errors of fact and contradictions. I would assume if God were responsible for the text that he would have gone out of his way to avoid the mere appearance of error.
But those who hold that the bible is error free must resort to circumlocution to try to figure out ways that these contradictions and errors of fact somehow are not really errors. But in all truth, this cannot be done.
We must conclude, then, that God does not hold himself responsible for the veracity of everything contained in the bible. The task for us then, is to find how [in anthropomorphic poetry] God speaks to us - to find the "words of God" in what traditionally has been referred to as the "Word of God."

… As Christians, the Bible is not simply a book of stories and moral truths. It is the very word of God, inspired, inerrant, true, and infallible. It is God breathed (2 Tim. 3:16). But, it is also more than that. It is the truth of God that resonates in the souls of those in whom the Holy Spirit indwells. It is the means and the measure of our lives made real by God's indwelling. It is the revelation of God's will for us and the world. It is the promise of God to deliver the believers. It is, in reality, the loving and true words of our God. In this sense, it is alive.

>In this endeavor of finding the footprints of God in scripture, Episcopalians use the three legged stool of Scripture, Tradition, and Reason. I think it is important to listen to all the great minds and thinkers of the world for insights, especially religious thinkers. I feel that it is important to search out the overarching themes in scripture.
In addition to the contradictions in scripture, some of which I have enumerated, there are errors of fact. I have mentioned a few contradictions among the gospel authors. Here is an example of an obvious error of fact found in the Old Testament:
NKJV 2 Chronicles 4:2 says, "Then he made the Sea of cast bronze, ten cubits from one brim to the other; it was completely round. Its height was five cubits, and a line of thirty cubits measured its circumference"
1 Kings 7:23 says nearly the same thing.
Something described as a circle in shape with a diameter of 10 [in any units such as cubits, inches, etc.] would have a circumference of 31.4 not 30.
Even the crudest of approximations would yield 31. That author could not be described as inerrant. The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is a constant referred to in mathematics as pi.
This must have been the verse that Dorothy Nelkin refers to in her book "The Creation Controversy," published in 1982, when she said: "Evolution was not their [the Fundamentalists] only target. The revolt against science also included attempts to prescribe by law that pi should be changed from 3.1416 to 3.0000, partly because it was simple to use, partly because the Bible described Solomon's vase as three times as far around as across."
Pi expressed as a decimal is often rounded to 3.14159 or 3.14 but in actuality the digits after the decimal point never end. Computers have approximated its exact value by figuring out scores of digits following the decimal point.
While both Biblical passages exactly agree in stating the INCORRECT ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle, they both differ on the volume:
1 Kings 7:26 says, "...it contains two thousand baths.
2 Chronicles 4:5 says,"...and it received and held three thousand baths."
I would assume if God were responsible for the text that he would have edited out the gross mathematical error and would have gone out of his way to avoid the mere appearance of error.

… The Jews wrote and assembled the Old Testament and the Christians wrote and assembled the New. Both testaments contain teaching, prophecies, and doctrine. But, it is the New Testament where we see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Old Testament. In fact, the Bible is about Jesus. "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me," (John 5:39). I always tell people when they come up to something difficult, "Put Jesus into it and see if it makes sense." Usually, the light comes on and things then make sense. Take for example, the offering of Isaac by Abraham and notice the similarities between Isaac and Jesus: Only begotten Son, Isaac in Genesis 22:2; Jesus in John 3:16. Offered on a mountain (hill) Gen. 22:2 and Matt. 21:10. Took donkey to place of sacrifice, Gen. 22:3 and Matt. 21:2-11. Two men went with him, Gen. 22:3 Mark 15:27; Luke 23:33. Three day journey - Jesus: three days in the grave, Gen. 22:4 and Luke 24:13-21. Son carried wood on his back up hill, Gen. 22:6 John 19:17. God will provide for Himself the lamb, Gen. 22:8 and John 1:29. Son was offered on the wood, Gen. 22:9 and Luke 23:33. Ram caught in thicket of thorns, Gen. 22:13 and Jesus crown of thorns John 19:2. The comparison continues, but you can clearly see that Jesus is reflected in the Old Testament which explains why Isaac was offered. He was a prophetic typology pointing to Jesus as the true sacrifice. Okay, so we now see that the Bible is about Jesus. This is fine intellectually, but what does it mean to us as Christians on a spiritual level?

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grace case
Advanced Member
Member # 1372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grace case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are only a very few minor translation discrepancies....depending on which (authorized) Bible version you look at, but I won't call them "errors." Compare a few passages from the KJV to the NKJV and there are some minor linguistic differences...but not doctrinal differences.

But one thing is 100% certain...there are no errors in God's perfect will, and in His divine purpose for the Church and His coming Kingdom! He alone knows the end from the beginning!

I think what some people see as "errors" are mainly differences in the personal accounts in the gospels.

But the way I look at that, was if my Mom asked me and my brothers and my sister to each write a book about what we remember my Dad saying and doing while he was alive...that we each would tell our own account of what our dad said to us, and how we each remember him. But we would all be giving an account of the same loving man, who was a great father to each of us equally.

But because my account might be different than my sister's, or one of my brother's...does not mean that my account, or theirs, has any "errors."

May all be blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus.

[Cross]

--------------------
Respectfully,

In Christ's love and glorious Grace,

Mark

Posts: 253 | From: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disciple4Him
Advanced Member
Member # 1300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disciple4Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art:
The way I see it is if there is errors in my bible, then I cannot trust it.
However, God wrote it ,I believe it, case closed.
My God maketh no mistakes!

PRAISE GOD BROTHER! [Smile]
Posts: 30 | From: Westerville, OH | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

SURVIVAL ESSENTIALS

Our King James Bible contains everything we need for survival in any conditions.

The Bible compares itself to a "Sword" - Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart". Ephesians 6:17 "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" It discerns, cuts to the heart, protects.

The Bible compares itself to a "Hammer" Jeremiah 23:29 "Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" It breaks down and convicts.

The Bible compares itself to a "seed" "Matthew 13:24 "Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field." 2 Corinthians 9:10 "Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)" It regenerates the unregenerate and produces growth in the believer.

The Bible compares itself to a "mirror" James 1:23,24 "For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was." It reflects the dirt in our lives.

The Bible compares itself to a "fire" Jeremiah 23:29 "Is not my word like as a fire?................." Jeremiah 20:9 "Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay." It corrects, convicts, repudiates our own views.

The Bible compares itself to a "lamp" Psalm 119: 105 "Thy word is a "lamp" unto my feet, and a light unto my path." It illuminates the soul.

The Bible compares itself to:
apples: Proverbs 7:2 "Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of
thine eye"
milk: 1 Corinthians 3:2 " I have fed you with milk and not with meat: for hitherto
he were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able."
meat: Hebrews 5:12 "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that
one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of
God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of
strong meat"
bread: John 6:32 "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses
gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth
you the true bread from heaven".
honey: Psalm 19:9,10: "the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the
judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine
gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb."

Every dietary nutrient for good health.

"Where the Word of the King is there is Power" (Ecclesiastes 8:4)

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Art,

That was exceptional, [thumbsup]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

The scriptures reveal the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners and happiness of believers.

Its’ doctrines are Holy, its’ precepts are binding, its’ histories are true, and its’ decisions are immutable.

Read them to be wise, believe them to be safe, and practice them to be holy. They contain light to direct you, food to support you and comfort to cheer you.

They are the traveler’s map, pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christians charter.

"Christ is its’ grand subject, our good its’ design, and the glory of God its’ end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart, guide the feet. Read them slowly, frequently, prayerfully. They are a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory and a river of pleasure. They will reward the greatest labour, and condemn all who trifle with its’ sacred contents.

Owned, it is riches, studied, it is wisdom, trusted, it is salvation, loved, it is character; and obeyed, it is power.

Called :

The "Word of God" Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart"

The "Word of Truth" James 1:18 "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures."

"Word" James 1:21-23 "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

The "Spirit" Ephesians 6:17 "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.".

"Holy Scriptures" Romans 1:2 "(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures)"

Described as:

"Inspired" 2 Peter 1:20,21 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost".

"Powerful" Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

"Regenerating" 1 Peter 1:23 – 25 "Being born again, not of curruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth and the flower thereof falleth away. But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."

"Cleansing" Psalm 119:9 "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word."

"Infallible" John 10:35 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came and the scripture cannot be broken"

We are commanded to:

"Search the scriptures" Acts 17:11 "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

"Study the scriptures" 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

"Memorize the scriptures" Psalm 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

"Meditate on the scriptures" Joshua 1:8 "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

"Believe the scriptures" Romans 10: 8,9 "But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.".

"Be doers of the scriptures" James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Old Testament Scriptures Spoke of Christ

Luke 24: 44 – 47 "And he said unto them, "These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem".

We are not to add to God’s Word nor take away from them. Deuteronomy 4:2 "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."" Revelation 22:18,19 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

We are not to use it deceitfully 2 Corinthians 4:2 "But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God."

We are not to nullify it through tradition. Mark 7: 9 "And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition."

We are not to corrupt the Word of God. 2 Corinthians 2:17 "For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."

But we are to "Preach the scriptures" 2 Timothy 4: 1-4 "I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word, be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Why?

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Amen.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly Gary,

The "WORD IS PERFECT"

In any case, no contradiction.

The problem lies in human wisdom and understanding, when the Scriptures are tried to be understood without the same inspiration of the Holy Spirit that enabled man to write them.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BHL,

In reference to the sign hung over our Lord's head, you may be interested, John MacArthur has shown that if you combine what all four gospel writers wrote, you will see what it probably actually said: "This is Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews". As you said, there is no contradiction.

Another point is that since it was written in different languages, the wording may have been slightly different in each language. In any case, no contradiction.

In Christ,
Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Amen, Art

--------------------

art
unregistered

The way I see it is if there is errors in my bible, then I cannot trust it.
However, God wrote it ,I believe it, case closed.
My God maketh no mistakes!

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

quote:
Some say that the Bible is error free. Four of its authors record the words affixed to the cross on which Jesus died.
· Mark says it read: And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS 15:26
· Matthew says it read: And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS 27:37
· Luke says it read: And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. 23:38
· John says it read: And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. 19:19

They all say the same thing to me, there is no argument “YESHUA” King of the Jews”

But ask yourself this question, “Why were the priests upset”? vs. 21 in John

JN 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put [it] on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
JN 19:20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, [and] Greek, [and] Latin.
JN 19:21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.
JN 19:22 Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

The Priests were insulted that Pilate had placed a sign in three languages above YESHUA’S head on the cross.

(FACT) During he Passover time, a sign was hung on each lamb’s neck, bearing the name of the owner.

( just a thought ) YESHUA was crucified with a sign over HIS head with the name of HIS FATHER. Some studies have shown the Tetragrammaton may have appeared over YESHUA as HE hung on the cross.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

When the two thieves hung on the either side of YESHUA on the cross , they both heaped insults on him.

But as they hung all hung on the crosses and one of the thieves had change of heart, as he heard YESHUA’S message of forgivness to those who hated HIM, and he ceased to heap insults on YESHUA, ask to forgiven and was saved

But the other thief “The Amplified Bible” says…

Luke 23:39

One of the criminals who were suspended kept up a railing at HIM, saying, Are you not the Christ, the Messiah? Rescue yourself and us (from death)!

Let the WORD interpret the WORD

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Each of the men that wrote the Scriptures, wrote from a different perspective.

The Gospels as Four Portraits of Jesus

The Gospels differ from one another in terms of author, time of writing, audience, and purpose. While each Gospel is a separate and unique "portrait" of Jesus, no one Gospel tells us everything we need to know about him. To gain a fuller understanding of Jesus, we must consider all four Gospels together.

Mark
· possibly written by John Mark, a companion of the Apostle Peter
· written around 70 C.E.
· written for the church in Rome and for Gentiles
· often recognized as "the Gospel of action," in which Jesus is always "on the move"
· stresses the humanity and suffering of Jesus
· portrays Jesus as the unrecognized Messiah

Luke
· possibly written by a Gentile doctor
· written around 85 C.E.
· written for Gentile Christians and perhaps for well-to-do Christians
· stresses the universality of the Christian message, particularly by showing women and poor people in important roles
· stresses Jesus' compassion, mercy, and concern for sinners
· in the miracle storied, emphasizes Jesus' compassion for those who are suffering
· stresses the central role of the Holy Spirit in Jesus' life
· is the first part of a two-part work, part two being the Acts of the Apostles

Matthew
· written around 90 C.E.
· written for Jews who were converting to Christianity
· stresses Jesus as the fulfillment of promises made by God in the Hebrew Scriptures
· demonstrates Jesus' role as a teacher and preacher
· discusses the responsibilities of Jesus' followers

John
· probably written by followers of the Beloved disciple
· written around 95 C.E.
· reflects theological sophistication and concentration on spiritual realities
· presents Jesus as "the Word of God" and stresses his incarnation
· emphasizes faith as coming from God and as truly present when the believer is "without sight," that is, without visible evidence of God
· builds poetic and memorable images of Jesus as "the vine," "the good shepherd," and so on

quote:
One might also ask, "What were the very last words of Jesus as he died on the cross?"
At least here we have two of the four authors in agreement.

· Both Mark and Matthew say that his last words were: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

· Luke says that his last words were: "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

· John says that his last words were: "It is finished."

No they all agree, …….

If you were in a room with a dying friend that you new and was very close to, with several other people. As your friend died he spoke. He may have said several things as he died, but depending on your view point would determine what you would tell people were his last words.

--------------------

art
unregistered

Prophesy Eye
If scripture is given by inspiration of God and it is, and every word of God is pure seven times purified, then there "cannot" be any errors in it.
These words are also "kept and preserved forever."
Read psalm 12.
As for perfectly sound explanations, read " Understandable history of the bible" by Gipp.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

ProphecyEye,

I personally believe that any discrepancies that may appear, come from not understanding the original language and man trying to prove his personal understanding of what YEHWEH has spoken through the Holy Spirit to the writers of the WORD.

The only way to interpret Scripture is by Scripture, and then only by revelation to the individual heart by the Holy Spirit.

The Scriptures or of no personal interpretation.

MT 22:29
LK 24:45
2PET 1:20
2PET 3:16

You may be right, and I wrong.
Or
I may be right and you wrong.
Or
You and I may both be wrong, because the WORD OF YEHWEH is never wrong.

The Scripture called the Bible are all the child of YEHWEH, that trust that the BLOOD OF YESHUA is the only way to eternal life has to base his faith.

If one word were wrong , there is no base for the Believers Faith.

--------------------

ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art:
Man can say anything they want about the word of God but God has the final say and He says "it was given by inspiration of God" (2Tim 3:16).
He further says in Psalm 12 that the words of the Lord are pure words, purified seven times, kept and preserved forever.
So there are no errors in the bible, any so called error has a perfectly sound explanation. If we read and studied the bible more for ourselves, we would soon see that the hand of God was placed on every word, jot and tittle.
Who are we to be bible correctors?

Could you possible list some of the "perfectly sound explanations" for the suposed contradictions listed on the website above?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Man can say anything they want about the word of God but God has the final say and He says "it was given by inspiration of God" (2Tim 3:16).
He further says in Psalm 12 that the words of the Lord are pure words, purified seven times, kept and preserved forever.
So there are no errors in the bible, any so called error has a perfectly sound explanation. If we read and studied the bible more for ourselves, we would soon see that the hand of God was placed on every word, jot and tittle.
Who are we to be bible correctors?

ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing some random research online and came across this. I know there have been lots of supposed contradictions and solutions to those contradictions in the Bible. I was wondering if anyone could make comments about this page though:

http://members.aol.com/DrSwiney/errorfre.html

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement