Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » I thought God forgave

Author Topic: I thought God forgave
Fat Pastor
Advanced Member
Member # 890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Pastor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by njclary:
I like your answer; one thing I note that when we get into a question, given enough thread the subject changes.we digress I suppose.

First of all the reply to the person was not my reply [tears] it was one of the ministry pastoral volunteers. [thumbsup]

quote:
Wadja think of our answers?

I think overall the comments directed towards the actual subject matter have been well thought out and well presented. The rabbit trail that has spun off of this is yet to be determined. [Razz]

--------------------
Blessings,

Fat Pastor
Internet Pastors.com

Posts: 22 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advanced Member
Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rate a Pastor? Well okay, Nice answer except- oh, oh, the dreaded except or but.
Is there clarity to the meaning of the word forgiveness within the answer? You do define it. Yet it is different from our cultural understanding of forgiveness isn't it?

We live in a society that demands apologies and gets upset at disrespecting, whatever that means. The language is twisted. So I suspect that a stronger framework needs to be built around your word forgive than was provided.

The sin was covered so that God would not need turn his back on Adam and Eve. Yet nothing was the same for the entire earth from that moment. That seems quite different from the typical apology of " I'm sorry" and the easy response of our culture, "Forget it".

You state that there are consequences, and that is different, far different than a simple "no problem".

Besides where is the apology from Adam or Eve? They both just pointed fingers away from themselves. They didn't standup and take a responsible stand and offer apologies did they?
So I think there may be a gap in understanding that centers on what forgiveness means, because of us having a very different current cultural use of the word.

neighbor

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Fat Pastor; [ and I hate the picture that conjurs up [Big Grin] ]

I like your answer; one thing I note that when we get into a question, given enough thread the subject changes.we digress I suppose.

Wadja think of our answers?

God Bless Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Pastor
Advanced Member
Member # 890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Pastor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now YOU can critique the Pastor's answer.

Thank you for your question. Hopefully, I will be able to answer it in a way that will help you understand.

First of all God did forgive Adam and Eve. To be forgiven of sin it takes the shedding of blood.

Leviticus 17:11 "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it
is the blood that makes atonement for the soul."

Hebrews 9:22 "And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission. "

So how do we know that God forgave them? Because the book of Genesis says:

Genesis 3:21 "Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them."

Because God clothed them in skin, we know that more than likely an animal had to be killed for this to happen which required the shedding of blood. The important thing to realize is that God made the sacrafice. That is a preliminary indication how much God really does love us, Because around 4,000 years later, He would do the same thing for us with Jesus.

So God forgave the sin, but (just like us) Adam and Eve had to live with the consequences.

I hope that makes sense and answers your questions.

How would you rate the Pastors answer? [Question]

Blessings,

Fat Pastor
Internet Pastors.com

--------------------
Blessings,

Fat Pastor
Internet Pastors.com

Posts: 22 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njclary
unregistered

Deut; You surmise an interesting point; Without 'offending' anyone; I would wonder why, when God is God, God is "I AM" God is far more vast than we mere humans could ever imagine, mankind would ever think to give God a gender. Except for the fact that from the beginning of the written word, how could one have described so great a God? other than by the use of the masculine gender.

I keep trying to get a point across, That God is too magnificent to try to describe. Even in Isiah and Revelation, where there are descriptions by the writers they still could not describe God, just God's surroundings, as we are to the atom is God to us. Except God can see us.

Those who want to give God a feminine gender, are only trying to cover their own inadequesies.
Mankind insists on bringing God to their level, and that is why we don't understand why God does what God does.

God Bless

Joel

Deut 25:11
Advanced Member
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deut 25:11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes I am a christian. I desire and value a personal relationship with Jesus and God, its what keeps me happy and able to function. I also like to ask alot of questions. God knows my heart and my intentions, which is to learn as much as I can. Honestly, I dont mean too offend.
anyone. I feel like questioning is a valuable character trait, I feel like I have the freedom to ask hard questions without the fear of offending God. I love Jesus and everything he embodied. I feel the "maleness" of God is a legitimate topic, I know first reaction to the word "genitals" is one of disgust probably due to social or cultural conditioning, but I dont mean it in that context. But that is what defines a biological male.

Posts: 54 | From: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duet,
You say no offense meant, are you sure about that? Are you a Christian? No offense meant, but I like to know what I am dealing with.

God is our Father, so yes He is male,

"the Father is greater than I" (John 10:29)

He called the Father greater because Jesus was speaking of his role of submitting to Him.

"Greater" is a quantitative term of position, not a qualitative term of nature.

In Hebrews 1:4, Jesus is described as "better than the angels." "Better is a qualitative term of nature, not a quantitative term of position.

When Jesus humbled Himself by leaving heaven and coming to earth (Phil. 2:6-8), the Father became greater than Him. "For a little while" (during His time on earth) He became "lower than the angels" (Heb. 2:7).

Even though He took this lower position for a little while, He kept His nature of deity because Heb. 1:6 says, "Let the angels of God worship Him."

So the Father was "greater" than Jesus while on earth, but not "better" because Jesus was God in the flesh.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advanced Member
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deut 25:11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sojourner:
Note: God is a He, not to be confused with a she. God did not promise to forgive everybody all their sin. He promised punishment to Adam and Eve if they disobeyed. They sinned and received the terrible consequences. They sinned by the lust of the eyes & flesh (they saw the fruit was good for food) and the boastful pride of life (they desired to be like God, being made wise). God is just. Sin deserves punishment.

Please no offence meant, God is a He? Does God have genitals or x/y genes?, I always assumed when God said "let us make man in our own image" he was refering to mankind in general?
Posts: 54 | From: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: God is a He, not to be confused with a she. God did not promise to forgive everybody all their sin. He promised punishment to Adam and Eve if they disobeyed. They sinned and received the terrible consequences. They sinned by the lust of the eyes & flesh (they saw the fruit was good for food) and the boastful pride of life (they desired to be like God, being made wise). God is just. Sin deserves punishment.
Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njclary
unregistered

God forgives the sin of those who REPENT, and ask for forgiveness. God's forgiveness is Eternal. But as Jesus died on the Cross for the Sins of ALL mankind; mankind MUST accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. Then the sins past present and future are forgiven. BUT even as a Christian who has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, I still fall short and I MUST acknowlege my sin, I MUST be repentent of my sin and I MUST ask the Father for his forgiveness. His forgiveness is by Grace. We cannot earn anything. Grace meaning unmerited favor. we can do nothing in God's eyes to earn favor.Only by His Grace.

Remember God is the Creator of all. Look at the vastness of the universe, Look at the billions of stars. Look at the vast size of our own world. try to count the grains of sand or the hairs on your head. God is far more than the greatest mind can conjur up. Can you see an atom? can you see a molecule? God can. God trandscends time and space. Now ask about Grace. We can NEVER measure up to God,

I think we forget Gods greatness and try so hard to humanize Him, bring God down to our level of understanding. and then we miss the point.

God Bless

Joel

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not really confusing, we all sin and fall short, so Jesus came to make away for us. Its a choice everyone gets to make.

Only Jesus can clean our sins away, that we may be clean enough to be with God.

[Big Clap] [Smile] [Big Clap] [Smile] [Big Clap]

Thank You Jesus,, [Kiss]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advanced Member
Member # 900

how is it God forgives all sin but so many are in eternal hell, burning in never ending pain and chronic unhappiness? so confusing, it makes me sad.
njclary
unregistered

They were forgiven , but with any infraction there are consequences, their consequence was they could no longer live free of charge. They had to survive. they HAD to learn responsibility. hence, out they went. God took them away from the temptations that got them into this trouble in the first place. A fair trade I think.

God Bless

Joel

Fat Pastor
Advanced Member
Member # 890

Here is a question that was submitted to the Internet Pastors.com mailbox.

According to the Bible God forgives us for any sin we commit. Why didn't He/She forgive Adam & Eve for their sin and keep them in the garden?

Let me hear your answers [spiny]

Blessings,

Fat Pastor

--------------------
Blessings,

Fat Pastor
Internet Pastors.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement