Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Written FOR us or TO us?

Author Topic: Written FOR us or TO us?
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome, sis. [hug]
Bless you,
Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaron,
thanks for sharing that. It is the truth.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Peter wrote this TO us about 1900 years ago:

quote:
1Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. 2 I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Thanks, Peter. Seems you nailed it quite squarely on the head.
[thumbsup2]
Aaron

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by NotsoFast:
Aaron...Is Paul speaking directly to you in this verse?..is the present 2007?...no need to run or ban me...anwser if you can..

1 Corinthians 15:6-After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto [this present], but some are fallen asleep.

Speaking to me? No. Of course not. How is this even a challenge? [Confused]

Might I ask: for whose sake is the Lord saying this prayer?

quote:
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
The bolded is mine and it denotes an important fact: the saints are not now in "complete unity". Our unity will be a testimony to the world that Jesus was sent by the Father. Currently, our division is mocked by the world as evidence of the folly of our faith. The results of this prayer have not happened...but it was a prayer of the Lord HIMSELF! So, it begs the question: do you think the Father heard the Son and do you think that the prayer will be answered?

My answer: you better believe it! And the answer is coming. This answer is coming and the Bride and the Spirit will agree to beckon the Lord to return.

quote:
Rev 22:12-13 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”
Why is He coming? He is coming for something! He is coming for a Bride: one who has made herself ready for the return of her betrothed. And she AND the Spirit of God will say "Come, Lord!"

quote:
Rev 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely."
The church is in such disarray it is unimaginable that she would cry, in unison, for the return of the Lord. In fact, I would say that His return is abhorrent to the church who carouses around like a prostitute to the politicos and kings of the earth! Calling for His return NOW would be suicide!

The prayer of Jesus has not been fulfilled and the Bride is currently in disarray! These two things, alone, disprove your gnostic cr*p .

But, before I go, let's take the next verse and examine it:

quote:
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
To whom is this written? To "everyone who hears the words of the prophesy of this book..." That includes me, today, in 2007; all who have heard it and all who will hear it. It is written TO them.

So pack up your trunk: I'm not buying what you're selling.

Aaron

P.S. Interesting that you should write "Ban me" when I suggested that Parousia should stop or get out.

The member NotsoFast wrote this in this thread:
quote:
Everything I have posted is within guideline and scripture backed..most of those who have opposed what I have posted offered no scriptural refute.
Yet, only Parousia has posted in this thread...nothing from NotsoFast!

Do you have multiple accounts? That's a "no no" on these boards. I'm sending this to David.

NotsoFast
Member # 6469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotsoFast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
quote:
Originally posted by Parousia:
Oh I agree 100% that it is profitable for us today..and I am not debating it..what I am or was trying to present was how when we read scripture..we unconsciously slip ourselves into the conversation or verse and make it seem as though Paul or the writer was directly writing to us individually..when in fact..we read what WAS said to a individual or group..this is how I believe the Bible was written...it was written For us...but not TO us and that does not mean it has no implications..

AH, ok. I've got no problem with that: there's an abundance of myth that is taught as "doctrine" in the church today. However, as I've noted, there are some passages that are clearly written to "future readers" not to mention the prophesies that have yet to be concluded. Some of your posts in other threads lend me to believe you may not believe that there is prophesy in scripture that is yet to be fulfilled (like the "666 Beast was really Nero Caesar" crowd). To which I can only say "hang on", for if you are not looking for it then it will take you by surprise.

If one makes such an assertion (that of scripture being "to us" not "for us") what, in your opinion, are the resulting errors? [edit]Nevermind, I've read more of your posts. I've heard this doctrine before; its roots are in the traditions of the gnostics and should not be tolerated. If you don't stop teaching these things I will press for your removal from this board.

Aaron

Aaron...Is Paul speaking directly to you in this verse?..is the present 2007?...no need to run or ban me...anwser if you can..

1 Corinthians 15:6-After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto [this present], but some are fallen asleep.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotsoFast
Member # 6469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotsoFast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Oh I agree 100% that it is profitable for us today..and I am not debating it..what I am or was trying to present was how when we read scripture..we unconsciously slip ourselves into the conversation or verse and make it seem as though Paul or the writer was directly writing to us individually..when in fact..we read what WAS said to a individual or group..this is how I believe the Bible was written...it was written For us...but not TO us and that does not mean it has no implications..

AH, ok. I've got no problem with that: there's an abundance of myth that is taught as "doctrine" in the church today. However, as I've noted, there are some passages that are clearly written to "future readers" not to mention the prophesies that have yet to be concluded. Some of your posts in other threads lend me to believe you may not believe that there is prophesy in scripture that is yet to be fulfilled (like the "666 Beast was really Nero Caesar" crowd). To which I can only say "hang on", for if you are not looking for it then it will take you by surprise.

If one makes such an assertion (that of scripture being "to us" not "for us") what, in your opinion, are the resulting errors? [edit]Nevermind, I've read more of your posts. I've heard this doctrine before; its roots are in the traditions of the gnostics and should not be tolerated. If you don't stop teaching these things I will press for your removal from this board.

Aaron

Yawn.....Everything I have posted is within guideline and scripture backed..most of those who have opposed what I have posted offered no scriptural refute..just opinions..just like your doing here..ban me if you want..this is what some here wished would happen..simply because they have no anwser to my posts.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:

Aaron

Parousia
Advanced Member
Member # 6448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parousia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

If we have someone living today that witnessed this event alongside the 499 other persons who witnessed it...then by all means this letter was written directly to us today..

The letter was clearly written to the Christians in Corinth. But it seems you are asking "Is the information in the letter significant to us today?" That is clear as well, "yes". Its significance has nothing to do with being a witness to Christ's resurrection nor does it have anything to do with the location of our house.

It's significant because it's "God-breathed" and "profitable" for our maturing in Christ... as is all scripture. I don't see how this is debatable. [Confused]

Aaron

Posts: 68 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:

If we have someone living today that witnessed this event alongside the 499 other persons who witnessed it...then by all means this letter was written directly to us today..

The letter was clearly written to the Christians in Corinth. But it seems you are asking "Is the information in the letter significant to us today?" That is clear as well, "yes". Its significance has nothing to do with being a witness to Christ's resurrection nor does it have anything to do with the location of our house.

It's significant because it's "God-breathed" and "profitable" for our maturing in Christ... as is all scripture. I don't see how this is debatable. [Confused]

Aaron

Parousia
Advanced Member
Member # 6448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parousia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
There you go again wresting scriptures out of their context.

The Word of God is divinely inspired, written to all Believers.

The verse you question, to try to substantiate your error, is written to establish Paul's position as an Apostle. This it does, as He was witness to our resurrected Lord, along with the 500.

The Word stands Perousia, and all your denials have zero credibility. Your position is contrary to the Word and rejected by any true follower of Christ Jesus our Lord.

HE will return and may HE not find you continuing to bring false teaching.

How is this wrestling the scripture..I simply quoted a scripture that proves Paul was not writing directly to you or me or ANYONE alive in 2007..We are reading what He wrote to someone else..But maybe you have proof?maybe you know of someone?perhaps they were on CNN?

Can you anwser the question or can you not?

Do we have someone who have survived to [this present] day that have personally witnessed this event? This scripture plainly shows it was not written directly to us today in 2007..your reading somebodys mail!!

Posts: 68 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you go again wresting scriptures out of their context.

The Word of God is divinely inspired, written to all Believers.

The verse you question, to try to substantiate your error, is written to establish Paul's position as an Apostle. This it does, as He was witness to our resurrected Lord, along with the 500.

The Word stands Perousia, and all your denials have zero credibility. Your position is contrary to the Word and rejected by any true follower of Christ Jesus our Lord.

HE will return and may HE not find you continuing to bring false teaching.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parousia
Advanced Member
Member # 6448

quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
quote:
quote:
This is just one of many scriptures that is found within the pages of the Bible.As you read this scripture I would like to have your input as if you think this scripture was written FOR you or TO you..There are those who seem to think the scriptures have been written directly to the audience of today rather than believe the original setting of the 1st century..

1 Corinthians 15:6-After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

Now..please be honest..Do we have some who have survived to this present day that have personally witnessed this event?

To anwser your question Parousia...No we do not..that scripture should prove when we read that book chapter and verse..we are indee reading what was written to someone else
There are those who deny scripture. Those who wrest the scriptures out of their proper context, to their own deception.

There are those who receive and believe the eternal Truth of God's Holy Word.

Actually the 1st Epistle to the Corinthians WAS addressed to us all:

1 Cor. 1:
1: Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2: Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
3: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Love how people always anwser question with either their opinion or another question..just to get around the topic..

Caretaker..I asked a simple question dealing with a specific verse..now can you anwser it?At least you tried..

This is just one of many scriptures that is found within the pages of the Bible.As you read this scripture I would like to have your input as if you think this scripture was written FOR you or TO you..There are those who seem to think the scriptures have been written directly to the audience of today rather than believe the original setting of the 1st century..

Now..please be honest..Do we have some who have survived to [this present] day that have personally witnessed this event? This scripture plainly shows it was not written directly to us today in 2007..your reading somebodys mail!!

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

1 Corinthians 15:6-After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

Now..please be honest..Do we have some who have survived to this present day that have personally witnessed this event?

To anwser your question Parousia...No we do not..that scripture should prove when we read that book chapter and verse..we are indee reading what was written to someone else
There are those who deny scripture. Those who wrest the scriptures out of their proper context, to their own deception.

There are those who receive and believe the eternal Truth of God's Holy Word.

Actually the 1st Epistle to the Corinthians WAS addressed to us all:

1 Cor. 1:
1: Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2: Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
3: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotsoFast
Member # 6469

quote:

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
When Jesus was on the cross. He knew me. If we believe that Jesus was and has always been God since the begining, then He knows all things. So, we can say that Jesus died for me, because he knew who I was before I was ever born. This has always been hard for me to grasp, but either we believe that Jesus is God and all knowing or we don't.
When Jesus told Thomas that blessed were those who would believe on Him without seeing with their own eyes, He saw all us who were born after He went back to Heaven.

You bet! [thumbsup2]

Aaron

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Jesus was on the cross. He knew me. If we believe that Jesus was and has always been God since the begining, then He knows all things. So, we can say that Jesus died for me, because he knew who I was before I was ever born. This has always been hard for me to grasp, but either we believe that Jesus is God and all knowing or we don't.
When Jesus told Thomas that blessed were those who would believe on Him without seeing with their own eyes, He saw all us who were born after He went back to Heaven.
Just today as I was becoming fearful thinking of hubby's surgery next week, I begin to read the Bible. I found peace in God's Word. The Bible can still touch the hearts of man and still bring a sinner to his knees. No other words on printed paper can bring the comfort, the conviction, like the Words of God. The Bible is powerful and sharp as a two edged sword.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:

No. All who saw Jesus and His resurrected body have fallen asleep.

However, some saints alive today may receive a spiritual revelation of the Lord "in person".

As far as the Bible written "for" or "to" us the answer is "both". Discernment is needed to know the difference.

For instance this passage of scripture:

Jesus has just prayed for his disciples and then he prays: “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me."

This is definitely written "to" me and to all who believe in the Lord. [thumbsup2]

Aaron

Parousia
Advanced Member
Member # 6448

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement