Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Astronomy Picture of the Day

Author Topic: Astronomy Picture of the Day
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to be a buttinsky....but: [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
1) Never assume.

2) Entrance into Heaven is assured through Christ Jesus our Lord.

3) The majesty of the entire universe cannot contain the Glory of God.

All aspects of the universe are exactly correct for God's creation to exist, by design. [/QB]

"All aspects of the universe are exactly correct for God's creation to exist, by design."....OOPS! - This violates your rule #1!!!! A faulty assumption.

The universe is dynamic. No conclusions can be drawn that all aspects of it are in a state of (static)"exact correctness", unless they're made as some sort of post hoc rumination that fails as being any type of valid data.

Look at the "exact correctness" of the planets, asteroids and moons in orbit about the sun. Like perfect clockwork!....and then suddenly 2 asteroid bodies make a BIG MESSY cross-vectored collision, and are blasted to bits!!....uh...whoa...well, let's see..uh...YEAH!..IT HAPPENED ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN!! uh yeah! - THEY WERE ON "EXACTLY CORRECT" PATHS!

Lesson: perfectly-fitted "exactly correct" claims make for bad science. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doGon
unregistered

Caretaker, what is the point of this universe, our lives? Is it to be able to eventually get to heaven? to know struggle and suffering, to be able to enjoy heaven? something else?....

It seems to me that IF you think the point of the universe is because of us, and for us to get to know God and to get to heaven, then since the universe is so big, there must be countless other civilizations out there doing the same thing, no?...But then that reduces the uniqueness, and perhaps 'specialness' of us and Jesus....

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I don't know specifics I can certainly trust that my Father does absolutely and so any concern becomes utterly irrelevant.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doGon
unregistered

You misunderstood. I was translating Caretaker's response of

quote:
All aspects of the universe are exactly correct for God's creation to exist, by design.
as the same thing as saying "I don't know".
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't know" by dogon.

I am glad you finaly admit it. [happyhappy]

"New scientific revelations about supernovas, black holes, quarks, and the big bang even suggest to some scientists that there is a ‘grand design’ in the universe." (U.S. News & World Re-port, March 31, 1997)

"The universe suddenly exploded into being...The big bang bears an uncanny resemblance to the Genesis command." Jim Holt, Wall Street Journal science writer

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doGon
unregistered

doGon said:
quote:
So, why is the universe so big if the only seemingly necessary part of it is this world?
Caretaker responded:
quote:
All aspects of the universe are exactly correct for God's creation to exist, by design.
Translation...."I don't know"
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doGon:
So, why is the universe so big if the only seemingly necessary part of it is this world? The universe is 27 billion light years wide. That means that if you were able to travel the speed of light (3,000,000 meters per second) it would take you 27,000,000,000 years to go from one end of the universe to the other...Why is it this size, when you assume the only important part of it is us on this earth trying to get into heaven??

1) Never assume.

2) Entrance into Heaven is assured through Christ Jesus our Lord.

3) The majesty of the entire universe cannot contain the Glory of God.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doGon
unregistered

So, why is the universe so big if the only seemingly necessary part of it is this world? The universe is 27 billion light years wide. That means that if you were able to travel the speed of light (3,000,000 meters per second) it would take you 27,000,000,000 years to go from one end of the universe to the other...Why is it this size, when you assume the only important part of it is us on this earth trying to get into heaven??
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

quote:
Originally posted by doGon:
Does anyone else find it odd that the Bible's explanation for the existence of 99.99999999999999999999999999% of the rest of the universe (i.e. not Earth) is in one line:

Gen 1:16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

God spoke, Moses wrote, and the emphasis upon its content was entirely up to its Creator.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

doGon
unregistered

Does anyone else find it odd that the Bible's explanation for the existence of 99.99999999999999999999999999% of the rest of the universe (i.e. not Earth) is in one line:

Gen 1:16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God is awesome!

That blessed me brother Bill. [Kiss]

Thank you very much for taking the time to share that with us. [hug]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

M42: Wisps of the Orion Nebula
Credit & Copyright: Jon Christensen

Explanation: The Great Nebula in Orion, an immense, nearby starbirth region, is probably the most famous of all astronomical nebulas. Here, glowing gas surrounds hot young stars at the edge of an immense interstellar molecular cloud only 1500 light-years away. In the above deep image, faint wisps and sheets of dust and gas are particularly evident. The Great Nebula in Orion can be found with the unaided eye just below and to the left of the easily identifiable belt of three stars in the popular constellation Orion. In addition to housing a bright open cluster of stars known as the Trapezium, the Orion Nebula contains many stellar nurseries. These nurseries contain hydrogen gas, hot young stars, proplyds, and stellar jets spewing material at high speeds. Also known as M42, the Orion Nebula spans about 40 light years and is located in the same spiral arm of our Galaxy as the Sun.

Job.38

[31] Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

Amos.5

[8] Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name:

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement