Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » How close are we?

Author Topic: How close are we?
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There also seems to be a consensus that Rome will be destroyed during the reign of this last pope. Perhaps ‘she’ is the (W)hore of Babylon after all?
Very interesting indeed Softouch...

I've studied some teachings that state the same thing...Rome (Mystery Babylon)is actually the city on 7 hills and I recently heard on a prophecy program that the term vatican means "the hill of the fortune tellers and the soothsayers." Apparantly when the church bought it they decided to keep the name.

Here's the bold parts.

Revelation 18

23"And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived."

Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UGH! I'm Frazzled by this research LOL!!!!

You’re right, it was Malachy who made the list of Popes, with “Peter the Roman” being the last. I Know that Nostradamus had some Horrible predictions about this last pope and called him Peter the Terrible… I’m hitting a brick wall trying to locate these prophecies on the internet. There also seems to be a consensus that Rome will be destroyed during the reign of this last pope. Perhaps ‘she’ is the (W)hore of Babylon after all?

http://www.catholicplanet.com/articles/article41.htm

The Future and the Popes

About the year A.D. 1139, Saint Malachy O'Morgair, Archbishop of Armagh, Ireland, wrote down a list of Popes. He listed 112 future Popes, each described by a phrase in Latin. [1] There has been increasing interest in this list among Roman Catholics, for two reasons. First, the descriptions of Popes #109 and #110 match the pontificates of Popes John Paul I and John Paul II to a tee. Second, there are only two more Popes on the list, and the last Pope on the list is given a long apocalyptic description, instead of a quaint and cryptic phrase….

“During the last persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there shall sit Peter of Rome, who shall feed the sheep amidst many great tribulations, and when these have passed, the City of the Seven Hills shall be utterly destroyed, and the awful Judge will judge the people.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Regarding Nostradamus:

http://www.lauralee.com/hogue3.htm

An excerpt from the book by John Hogue: The Last Pope :
The Decline and Fall of the Church of Rome, the Prophecies of St. Malachy for the New Millennium

“To this day, 90% of St. Malachy's prophecies have come true. In examining St. Malachy's life, his pilgrimages and his miracles, author John Hogue also presents a fascinating account of the fates of the Popes and 800 years of Catholic prophecy; including those of contemporaries, St. Hildegard von Bingen, Joachim de Fiore and Nostradamus, whose vision of the papal succession closely resembles that of St. Malachy.

So apparently Nostradamus Did predict similar things to Malachy, but I’ll be darned if I can find them on the internet!!! This search has taken me over 5 hours!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not addressing your point about Maalchi, merely your specific response to my prior post.

As for whether all of any of the denominations hold one particular belief, I agree that is never going to be an accurate statement, as people are always diverse. However, my point in my original post was that if the official teaching of the Catholic church is to be amillenial and preterist, then surely the Pope himself holds to that belief, so I am curious what he is going on about in what he said yesterday. And when I say curious, I really mean I am curious as to what he makes of all of this.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Specifically they claim this: that the book of Revelation was written in code as a warning to believers who were enduring persecution in Rome, and that all of the events contained therein already occurred during that time and thus there is no prophecy, only fulfilled events.
That view is not one that is neccessarily held by catholics alone...It is a teaching commonly known as preterism which is a view held by many non catholics as well but from what I understand it has Jesuit roots. We've had people on these boards that believe that Jesus has already come back in 70 a.d and that Revelation is fullfilled but I don't think they're Catholic.

I really don't want this to turn into a "what do the catholics believe" war..They believe some really strange doctrines and there are some catholics that do not believe the view of preterism..While they may have a strange interpretation of the prophecies, not all of them hold a preterist viewpoint.

My whole point is that I've heard teachings of non catholics that state that the pope will be the false prophet at the time of the anti christ and maybe Malachi knew something about it since he wrote a book about an evil pope coming and he knew the workings of the vatican and the pope from actually being in the mix.

Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was raised Catholic and in catholic schools and in an attempt to learn what he was taught, I have unfortunately recently been exposed to a TON of unpleasant Catholic/Protestant apologetics, and the teaching of the Catholic church is "amillenialism." I have been trying to get a solid handle on his beliefs and what he was taught so I can witness to him. He finds all this prophecy stuff to be ludicrous insanity on our part, because they definitely do not believe in it.

Specifically they claim this: that the book of Revelation was written in code as a warning to believers who were enduring persecution in Rome, and that all of the events contained therein already occurred during that time and thus there is no prophecy, only fulfilled events. They also do not believe in the millenial reign, as they believe that eventually the entire world will be won over to Christ and that the "reign" will be one of peace on Earth with Christianty being the prevalent religion.

If there are beliefs that line up more with ours regarding end times etc., they are not held by the majority of the Catholic church or taught in their schools. The Catholics over at fresh hope boards laugh hysterically at us when we discuss prophecy.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
Catholics do not believe in the End Times Tribulation though, nor in an earthly millenial reign of Christ, so what in the world is he babbling on about anyway?

Laurie, I'm not sure that's totally true...I'm sure there are some that fall under the category you speak of but I've seen writings from people that belong to the catholic church about happenings in Revelation....They do have some strange doctrines, but to say they don't believe the book of Revelation wouldn't paint an accurate picture of what they believe.

About Malachi...He's actually written several fiction and non fiction books about the corruption and evil in the catholic church, the vatican, and the new world order...From 1958 to 1964 he served in Rome, where he was a close associate of the renowned Jesuit Cardinal Augustin Bea and Pope John XXIII...

I don't know if it was ever finished but I read that he was working on a book called "Guide Book to the End Times."

The reason I bring the writings of a catholic up is because I've heard prophecy teachings that state that the pope at the time of the anti christ will be the false prophet...Interestingly enough Malachi(a catholic) wrote a book called the "Final Conclave" that speaks of an evil pope that will come on the scene in the end times.

LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Catholics do not believe in the End Times Tribulation though, nor in an earthly millenial reign of Christ, so what in the world is he babbling on about anyway?
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
I think that comes from a prediction of Naustradamus? If memory serves me (that would be something LOL), didn't he write an accurate list of all the Pope's that were and would be? JPII was listed, then one that won't be in office for very long, then "Peter the Terrible" - which would be the last Pope and a very evil man. I'd have to look this up to be certain...

I think there was a book written by Malachi Martin (a Catholic) that spoke of an evil pope...I'm not sure where he got the idea though...
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that comes from a prediction of Naustradamus? If memory serves me (that would be something LOL), didn't he write an accurate list of all the Pope's that were and would be? JPII was listed, then one that won't be in office for very long, then "Peter the Terrible" - which would be the last Pope and a very evil man. I'd have to look this up to be certain...

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

The scary part is that the Pope is very old and not in good health...

It begs the question of what will the next pope be if what John Paul said was indeed true ?

I've heard that many Catholics believe that there is an evil pope (false prophet?) coming.

Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the Vatican has in its possession, vast volumes of knowledge that we know nothing about. I'm not a historian but I know they had control over many aspects of religion for hundreds of years and kept many secrets.

Does he mean what he says? I believe he does. In fact, I think he probably knows something we don't. I can't prove that of course but it's just a hunch. But one thing is for certain, if the Pope is talking about the end times, we had better take notice. [Wink]

God bless and stay strong,
Eric

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

What do you make of this?

I'm sure you know I'm not a huge fan of the Pope or the Vatican... [Wink] LOL

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

BREAKING!

Not only all the storms Soft, now this!

Um, let me pick my jaw up off of the floor so I can post this... [Eek!]

Pontiff invokes the Apocalypse, discusses utimate defeat of evil

quote:
In comments before 7,000 people attending the General Papal Audience yesterday at the Vatican, Pope John Paul II commented on the Apocalypse, saying that the increase in violence and injustice in the world is the work of a furious Satan who doesn't have "much time left" and ultimately will be defeated.
quote:
"Satan, the original adversary, who accused our brothers in the heavenly court, has now been cast down from heaven and therefore no longer has great power. He knows he has not much time left because history is about to see a radical turning point in freedom from evil and therefore he is reacting full of great fury.
web page

Amazing! I just can't believe the news lately! [Prayer] [Bible] [Cross]

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Amen my Brother!

I was watching Fox News tonight and was just astonished at the mess the U.S. is in with all these storms!

Reading your website the other day I was also astonished at what's happening over in Europe with storms!

Piece by piece (or should I say pain by pain?) the puzzle is coming together faster and faster... it's Amazing to watch - and scary too.

I pray that the Lord will give me the words to say should I have opportunity to talk to an unsaved person about what's happening!

Maranatha Indeed! [hyper]

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

Dear friends,

I have become increasingly excited and worried while posting the news over the last few days. Excited that our time is drawing near and worried for those that are without Christ.

Friends, I am posting double the number of posts on my website as I used to post here. The number of prophecy related news articles on a daily basis is overwhelming to say the least. We are truly witnessing the beginning of the end.

The articles of most interest to me involve the recent developments on the road to peace in the middle east, hostility brewing with U.S. relations between Russia and Syria, and the continuing crazy weather patterns across the globe. Indeed all of these events we are told to watch for.

"Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, your redemption is drawing near." [Luke 25:28]

6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains. [Matthew 24:6-8]

25“There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near. [Luke 21:25-28]”

Even the media and non-believers are asking questions. I posted an article today that asked the question, "Is something wrong with mother earth?" And although as believers we know what is going on, non-believers do not.

We must take every chance to present the Lord to the lost. Time is short folks. Jesus said that we should be able to tell when a storm is coming. Well, the storm is in on the horizon and approaching quickly.

26“Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all. [Luke 17:26-27]

It's time to look up...maranatha! [Cross]

God bless and stay strong! [Bible] [Prayer]
Eric

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement