Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Science on Verge of New 'Creation'

Author Topic: Science on Verge of New 'Creation'
dfault313
First Post
Member # 3144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfault313     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eh, its just a bunch of hype- so what if humans create "life" artificial "life" already exists, and has existed for years, machines that improve themselves, computer programs that learn... its nothing new, and definitely nothing to fret about.

I'm absolutely convinced that nothing--nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable--absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.
(Romans 8:38-39 MSG)

--------------------
Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward--to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
(Philippians 3:13-14)

Posts: 1 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[pound] Tra! Yea, I thought that was a pretty 'stupid' remark too! Like I said, I'm SURE that wasn't written by a Believer [Wink]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'But there's no difference between what we do here and what humans have always done when we invented fire,
And of course before fire, we humans invented lightning... [pound]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
[QB]This was Obviously written by a Non-Believer… and another example of how man tries to play ‘god.’ This could be very dangerous if they succeed and I can’t even begin to fathom the ramifications.[qb]

Don’t worry SoftTouch, if they really were on the verge of any form of Biological break though, Stem Cell research would go down the drain, since it’s still a strong case to work with, because of it’s benefits, I doubt they are any closer to generating a single living cell now, then they where when man was rubbing two sticks together to try and make fire.

Now, I do support their computer break toughs, which try to generate independent thought from computers and programs, and they might be talking about nano-technology.

On the Computer front I believe they are making some great progress, and I do hope some day they make something like “Terminators” that are robots that can think for themselves, and function like humans.

but the funny thing is, (I have to laugh about this sorry.)

You have people that denounce their creator creating something that might some day denounce them.

I will take little comfort in the fact, that I know what they are doing in their quest to prove God wrong is going to get us all killed, but a little comfort, is better then none I guess.

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 19 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science on Verge of New 'Creation'

This was Obviously written by a Non-Believer… and another example of how man tries to play ‘god.’ This could be very dangerous if they succeed and I can’t even begin to fathom the ramifications.

SCIENCE ON VERGE OF NEW `CREATION'

March 30, 2004

Sun-Sentinel.com reports: "More than 3.5 billion years after nature transformed non-living matter into living things, populating Earth with a cornucopia of animals and plants, scientists say they are finally ready to try their hand at creating life.

If they succeed, humanity will enter a new age of 'living technology,' where harnessing the power of life to spontaneously adapt to complex situations could solve problems that now defy modern engineering.

Scientists eagerly talk of a new world of ultra-small living machines, where marvelously made-to-order cells heal the body, clean up pollutants, transform electronics and communication, and much more.

The researchers say it may be possible to make sweaters that mend themselves. Or computers that fix their own glitches.

Though some experts see this new technology as providing unlimited benefits, others worry about the moral appropriateness of human-made life and the introduction of new species with the potential to evolve into creatures that could run amok.

'It's certainly true that we are tinkering with something very powerful here,' said artificial-life researcher Steen Rasmussen of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.

'But there's no difference between what we do here and what humans have always done when we invented fire, transistors and ways to split the atom,' he said. 'The more powerful technology you unleash, the more careful you have to be.'

Such concern is escalating as more than 100 laboratories study processes involved in the creation of life, and scientists say for the first time that they have just about all the pieces they need to begin making inanimate chemicals come alive.

Unlike any other technology invented by humans, creating artificial life will be as jarring to our concepts of ourselves as discovering living creatures on other planets in the universe would be. It also would bring into sharper focus the age-old questions of 'What is life?' and 'Where do we come from?'

'The ability to make new forms of life from scratch--molecular living systems from chemicals we get from a chemical supply store--is going to have a profound impact on society, much of it positive, but some of it potentially negative,' said Mark Bedau, professor of philosophy and humanities at Reed College in Portland, Ore., and editor-in-chief of the Artificial Life Journal…"

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement