Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » 'Equal Time'

Author Topic: 'Equal Time'
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.. i yeild the point [Smile]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Barry, but my concern would be that the Christian teacher would be the minority of people teaching it across the country, and even then, so many so called christians are very Biblically challenged.

Yes, the Christian teachers who are there are to witness the Gospel, Like BHL says we can't take off our preaching hat and put on our living hat! But this is not the same as teaching the Bible as History or literatue in PS. The Bible is not History and Literature! It is the Living word of our living God! It should not be a story of mankind through the ages from a christian perspective, but a Vision of Christ, the saving grace of God, his longsuffering for our lost souls, his instruction for our freedom, an clear picture of his will. I judt don't think this can be accomplished in The History of the Israelites 101 for 7th graders.

Study of the Bible requires the student to seek wisdom in prayer and the assistance of the Holy Spirit or it is just so much foolishness. And that is a detriment to faith not a help.

I know that you study God's word diligently Barry, as do many of our brothers and sisters here, but how many do you know who study this way? Who seek understanding diligently in prayer?

The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach us what ever we need to know, but how many could hear His voice over the rumble of their day to day lives?

How many Christians have dismissed the word of creation as just so much bunk? I wouldn't want them teaching my kids the Bible in PS, much less some ones child who has no Biblical foundation at home.

Our teaching as Christians in the Public school system is or at least in my opnion should be in the outward demonstation of faith and Love for the God of Creation in our walk, our words,our attitude.

I am all for putting a stop to teaching evolution as Fact it is not! I am all for stoping the propgation of the idea that people of faith are fools who walk with a crutch of mythology that is the Bible. Because this is a lie. I am all for stopping the teaching of humanism in our schools for it is the religion of the antichrist.

But I don't want the Bible taught in PS untill the PS are run by True Christians, and The nation is a Christian Nation, and that isn't going to happen untill Christ comes back to this earth.

The problem isn't that we took God out of schools, the problem is society has taken God out of their hearts!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But also Linda your looking at it from a "christian" perspective...Think about your posts of late, where you think that christians should (adults) take part in PTA, as teachers etc.. Maybe a christian teacher could get the word out to a few...?? and some be saved..

a thought

ITs not for ever christian teacher to teach in public school, but some may be called to..

Food fot thought [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things are the responsibility of the Parents and the Church to teach!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No i cannot ... some things need to be left alone.. amen

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Grest article Barry thanks for sharing, I really like the disclaimer idea. That is how it should be.

But, does anyone really want the Bible taught by secular humanists in the public school system?

Can you imagine Ezekiel taking the torah to the babylonian priesthood and saying here teach this for historical value?

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 2 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
School District Decides Creationism, Evolution Both Belong in Science Class
Decision to Give 'Equal Time' to Creation Viewpoint Draws Attention of ACLU, Parents
By Fred Jackson and Bill Fancher
August 23, 2002

(AgapePress) - In Georgia, there has been a major victory for employing a biblical perspective in public schools. The state's second-largest school district voted last night to require teachers to give equal treatment to evolution and creation in discussing the origin of life.

The Cobb County School District had already made headlines this summer with a policy change that requires disclaimers be attached to all science textbooks that reads as follows: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

But board members took further action last night, apparently in response to a petition drive by parents this summer. Beyond simply objecting to the new science textbooks that teach only evolution, they demanded that schools give equal time to creationism.

The New York Times says several school board members responded by asking district lawyers to draw up a new policy that would allow discussion of theories beyond evolution -- such as "intelligent design." The lawyers believe they have done that, and that it meets the constitutional demand of not promoting any religious views.

The new policy states that evolution "remains an area of intense interest, research, and discussion among scholars," and so should be handled with objectivity.

The ACLU and one parent from the district had already gone to court to stop the disclaimer policy, and are now vowing to amend that suit to include the new policy adopted last night.

According to The Times, the Cobb County Board of Education must approve the new policy once again on September 26 before it can take effect.

Already Ruled
Dr. Gerard Bradley is a noted scholar in the fields of constitutional law as well as law and religion. The Notre Dame law professor says many people and school boards do not realize it is both legal and constitutional to teach the Bible in public schools. As he explains, the nation's highest court has approved such courses.

"You will find often the Supreme Court saying ... we are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a supreme being and cannot be understood apart from the religion of the American people," Bradley says. "The Supreme Court has [also] said many times that a Bible course -- a course which treats the Bible not as religious doctrine, but as literature or history or both -- may be taught in public schools."

Bradley says a misunderstanding of the law is prevalent throughout the U.S. "Many people, perhaps most ordinary people, have a feeling or even have the conviction in judgment that a [Bible] course ... must be unconstitutional," he says.

The law professor does not fault them for that. "It may be hard to blame them for thinking so when the most reported judicial decisions in the land are like the one rendered a few weeks ago by the 9th Circuit (Court of Appeals), holding that the words 'under God' may not be spoken in public school -- even voluntarily -- by students," he says.

But Bradley emphasizes that the Supreme Court has ruled more than once that teaching the Bible for its literary value and its impact on the founding of the nation are well within the guidelines of the Constitution, as the modern courts have interpreted such things. As more and more school districts in America are coming to understand that teaching Holy Scripture is not unconstitutional, they are including Bible courses in their curriculum.

© 2002 AgapePress all rights reserved

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement