Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Earth bulge causing sealife to behave irratically?

Author Topic: Earth bulge causing sealife to behave irratically?
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a theory... but I'm sensing a trend here. (My apologies for posting these articles, this way, but i wanted them to be seen collectively) Also, IF the gravitational bulge is causing these events, could it also soon cause the earthquakes described in the Bible's descriptions of end-times events?
-------------------------------------------

Satellites reveal a mystery of large change in earth's gravity field
Fri Aug 2 15:56:28 2002

Source: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...c-sra080102.php

Satellite data since 1998 indicates the bulge in the Earth's gravity field at the equator is growing, and scientists think that the ocean may hold the answer to the mystery of how the changes in the trend of Earth's gravity are occurring. Before 1998, Earth's equatorial bulge in the gravity field was getting smaller because of the post-glacial rebound, or PGR, that occurred as a result of the melting of the ice sheets after the last Ice Age. When the ice sheets melted, land that was underneath the ice started rising. As the ground rebounded in this fashion, the gravity field changed.

"The Earth behaved much like putting your finger into a sponge ball and watching it slowly bounce back," said Christopher Cox, a research scientist supporting the Space Geodesy Branch at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.

Currently, the Earth has a significant upward bulge at the equator, and a downward bulge at the poles. "Observations of the Earth's gravity field show that some phenomena are counteracting the gravitational effects of PGR. Whereas PGR has been decreasing the bulge in the Earth's gravity field at the equator, this recent phenomena is causing the bulge to increase," Cox said. Such changes in the gravity field can be sensed using ultra precise laser tracking of satellites to observe tiny changes in the orbits of those satellites and by tracking changes in the length of day or rotation of the Earth.

Scientists believe movements of mass cause this recent change from the high latitudes to the equator. Such large changes may be caused by climate change, but could also be part of normal long-period climatic variation. "The three areas that can trigger large changes in the Earth's gravitational field are oceans, polar and glacial ice, and atmosphere," Cox said.

Cox and colleague Dr. Benjamin Chao have ruled out the atmosphere as the cause. Instead, they suggest a significant amount of Ice or water must be moving from high latitude regions to the equator, and oceans could be the vehicles of this movement.

Estimates of today's glacier and polar ice melting are too small to explain the recent changes in the gravity field. If melting ice were the cause of the recent changes in the gravitational field, it would require melting a block of ice 10 km (6.2 miles) on each side by 5 km (3.1 miles) high every year since 1997 and pouring it into the oceans.

"The recent reports of large icebergs calving in Antarctica can't explain this, because they were already floating in the ocean," Cox said.

Further, radar altimeter observations of the average sea level rise provided by the TOPEX/POSEIDON satellite show no corresponding change in the rate of the global sea level increase.

Consequently mass must have been redistributed within the oceans. That's where the ocean circulation theory comes in. Ocean currents can redistribute mass quickly, such as the 5-year time frame that these changes were first observed. The TOPEX/POSEIDON observations of sea level height do show an increase in the equatorial bulge of the oceans corresponding to the observed gravity changes, but the data are not yet conclusive. One critical factor is the temperature of the world's oceans, and its salinity, for which detailed data are not yet available.

In 2002 NASA also launched the GRACE and JASON missions, missions that will help to more precisely track these sorts of changes in Earth's geodesy, and will launch the ICESAT mission this winter.

An article on this NASA-funded study appears in the August 2 issue of the journal Science.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sea creature spooks swimmers

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. -- A fun-filled day of swimming and fishing for one local group of friends and family turned into a nightmare that most only witness in the movies.
Fall River residents Dennis Vasconcellos, Rachel Carney, Joey Mailloux, Tracy Roberts, a young child and another woman were at Teddy's Beach in the Island Park section of Portsmouth Tuesday afternoon when things got a little scary.

Half the group was fishing, while the other half were either swimming or playing in the sand. But what seemed to be the perfect summer afternoon got turned upside down the moment Vasconcellos heard his fiancé, Carney, scream.

Carney was screaming for help, yelling that something was after her. An unknown ominous sea creature seemed to be toying with Carney, who was swimming beyond the "Danger" sign posted at the quiet beach.

The sea creature -- described as being about 15-feet long, with four-inch teeth, greenish-black skin and a white belly -- was swimming around Carney and popping its head out of the water to expose its teeth and hiss in a manner that could not soon be forgotten, Carney said.

"I was deep out in the water and kept hearing this hissing sound. Then I saw its head come up showing me its big teeth," Carney said. "It kept rolling while it was swimming and knocking into my feet. I just froze."

In the meantime, Vasconcellos said he swam out to her aide and just grabbed her from the backside and told her "don't look back."

"This thing was big. I mean it's head was almost the size of a basketball," Vasconcellos said. "I just kept backing in to shore, but it was looking at me and hissing. The other people around there were pulling their kids out of the water."

Within minutes, the pair was back near the beach and safe again.

University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's Center for Marine Science and Technology in New Bedford, one of the leadingmarine science research centers in the region, has its lead aquaculturist baffled by the description of the serpent-like creature.

Ed Baker, the center's lead aquaculturist, said Wednesday that the description given is unlike any animal he knows. He said it is conceivable that a tropical animal was swept northward through a strong and warm gulf current.

He said a piranha was recently found in Coventry, R.I., and an alligator is on the run in Lincoln, R.I.

Therefore, the mystery animal may have been placed in the water by a local resident or it may have been carried into Rhode Island waters from the south.

While the drama was playing out, Mailloux, who was nursing a badly wounded leg in the brackish water said he witnessed the whole thing.

"I just saw (Carney) swimming as fast as I've ever seen anyone go," Mailloux said. "Then I saw this big, big thing spinning around the two of them.

"It kind of looked like a giant eel to me, but I'm sure it wasn't because it was so big and had that white belly."

Mailloux and the others said it was difficult to get to sleep Tuesday night. He said he felt partly responsible because the sea creature may have been attracted to the blood pouring out from his leg into the water.

Mailloux, just minutes before, had caught a fish and slipped on the rocks near the beach, cutting his legs.

"I don't know if it was a shark or what. All I know is that (Carney and Vasconcellos) were both hysterical when they got out of the water," Mailloux said. "I've lived near water for years and have never seen an animal like that, ever."

Vasconcellos is also a somewhat experienced fisherman and also stated that he has no idea what the creature was.

"My heart is still pounding. I don't want to seem scared but people should know to keep their children close, because that thing was definitely big enough to kill us," Vasconcellos said. "I thought I was dead."

Portsmouth police said Wednesday that they have not received any calls about the large animal. But Vasconcellos said he would be calling the police to report what he and the rest of his group saw.

Mailloux said he thinks the animal is nesting under the unusually warm waters of the protected cove. He said he saw the animal disappear near one of six broken-down piers in the area, which could be used as a nesting area.

"That thing was not from around here," Mailloux said. "I think it might have come up with the tropical stream of water and found a good place to breed this summer."

Baker said Mailloux's hypothesis about the animal breeding in the area is "somewhat of a stretch," and believes that the mysterious sea creature is probably in distress and is using the pier structure as a place to hide.

Gregg M. Miliote may be reached at gmiliote@heraldnews.com.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?..._id=99784&rfi=6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese 'Nessie' emerges from volcanic lake

Beijing - A black monster with a horse-like head has been spotted by hundreds of sightseers visiting a deep volcanic lake near China's border with North Korea, state media reported on Wednesday.

Reports - eagerly passed on by the local tourism authorities - have said the Chinese "Loch Ness monster" appeared twice recently in Tianchi Lake in north-eastern Jilin province, said the China Daily.

In the latest sighting, the creature appeared just 10 metres from the bank, jumping out of the water from time to time "like a seal", the paper said, quoting local tourism official Meng Fanying.

Rumours that the 373 metre-deep lake harbours some sort of monster have been circulating for more than a century, the paper said.

However, scientists have dismissed the reports, saying volcanic eruptions happening as recently as 300 years ago would make life extremely hazardous for any animal making the lake its home.

Local monster aficionados are unfazed by the skepticism and have even organised themselves in the Tianchi Monster Society, the paper reported.

The Tianchi monster is not the only "Nessie" said to be living in China.

The marine life of Hanas Lake in north-western Xinjiang region reputedly includes a 10 metre-long salmon species that attacks both people and cattle. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?clic...42B255&set_id=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rare whale washes up on beach

Marine scientists are hailing the discovery of a rare whale washed up on a South African beach as an exciting and important find.

The five-metre carcass of the Longman's beaked whale is the first complete specimen ever found.

Until now, the species had only been identified by two skulls, one found on a beach in Australia and the other in Somalia.

There have been no recorded sightings of a live Longman's beaked whale.

The beaked whale is named for the beak-like shape of its mouth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2171986.stm

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nine Whales Die, Dozens Rescued on Cape Cod

FNC
Monday, July 29, 2002

DENNIS, Mass. — More than 50 pilot whales beached themselves on a stretch of Cape Cod sand Monday and nine of them died before vacationers and other volunteers could push the animals back out to deeper water in a feverish rescue effort.

Hundreds of vacationers lined a quarter-mile of Chapin Beach and watched as rescuers tended to the small, glistening black whales, first discovered stranded about 6 a.m.

One of the whales was dead when rescuers arrived, and another was euthanized after it went into shock, said Sallie Riggs, director of Cape Cod Stranding Network. Seven others died after spending hours in the hot sun. The carcasses were taken away in a dump truck while volunteers poured buckets of water over the others and draped them with wet towels to keep them moist.

The rising tide at midday helped volunteers push the remaining 46 whales into water deep enough for the animals to swim on their own.

"To see this many whales get off free after six hours is amazing," said Judy Scarafile, a member of the stranding network. "We all have our fingers crossed that they'll not come back."

A necropsy was planned for the first whale that died.

Several vacationers joined volunteers from the stranding network, the New England Aquarium and the Center for Coastal Studies in the rescues.

"We came to the beach expecting a nice relaxing day," said Rob Barresi, of Natick, who with his brother, Michael, helped the whales.

Pilot whales are common in New England waters. They range from 12 to 16 feet in length as adults and weigh about 1,800 pounds. Also known as blackfish, they feed on squid, sand eels and small crustaceans.

Mass strandings of pilot whales are not unusual since they are highly sociable animals that travel and feed in groups and frequent areas near the coastline.

In July 2000, 10 pilot whales were stranded in shallow water off Nantucket Island. They died despite the efforts of volunteers and whale experts.

On Christmas Eve 1991, 31 pilot whales became stranded off Cape Cod and died. Scientists said the whales apparently were following tiny crustaceans called krill when they became trapped in the shallows.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59012,00.html

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement