Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Is speeding a sin?

Author Topic: Is speeding a sin?
danny458
Advanced Member
Member # 4378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danny458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redkermit:
A couple people voted no. I would be interested in hearing why they feel that way.

The options were 'yes' or 'no/not necessarily'...

I voted 'no/not necessarily'

If you're driving down the road... and you look down and realize you're going 58 in a 55... are you living in sin? I don't think so. I think one reason Jesus came was to free us from that sort of legalism... also, as I said earlier, sometimes its safer to go above the speed limit. Sometimes a person goes through an area where they are not aware of the speed limit.

I just don't see this issue as a big deal. Reckless driving, yes, a big deal and an issue of sin, but not knitpicking around the fringes. I vote for grace [Wink]

Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yeppyairs:
The driving manual says that you are to go along with the speed of the road and that driving slower than the traffic may cause an accident.

If the road is clear then it may be safe to drive the speed limit posted.

You know I have never seen the traffic go according to the speed limits posted, HAVE YOU?

I've seen traffic going the speed limit, going above the speed limit (even though others were going the speed limit, which is very dangerous), and going under the speed limit (which can be just as dangerous at times). But, ultimately, is the posted speed limit the law? If so, then going over the speed limit is breaking the law, therefore is it not a sin?

I only ask these questions because I feel it's something the Lord has been dealing with in me lately. I speed quite a bit, especially when on my way home from work in rush hour traffic, and making the three to four hour drive across the state to visit family.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple people voted no. I would be interested in hearing why they feel that way.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In todays culture sin is synonymous to the word wrong- Is it wrong to speed?, yes. We parents when we find out our children break the law and receive a ticket are irate at their decision to drive unsafely. Had you ever notice when a policeman is around people slow down to the speed limit. When they do this, they know they are consciously breaking a law. Come on lets face it, we think we have the right to break even the simpliest law if we can get a way with it. In fact in this city, if you are caught speeding and have an accident even on the expressway it is caught on the many cameras that plaque the expressway and intersections. YOU definetly will be found at fault. Is it wrong to drive without a license, auto insurance, a current inspection and registration sticker? OF COURSE IT IS! The new thing in now is the point system. For each fraction of the law when it pertains to driving receives a point earn a 6 points in any year regardless of the situation your license will be revoked. Also even if you take DDC the points can be wiped away but not the fraction of law that gave you those points to begin with it stays on your record permanently. Take DDC and find out what things have changed. I did and believe me- it was an eye opener!!! Remember the only laws we as christians are not bound by to follow are those which removes our expression of religion. Speeding can be punishable even with a prison term not to exceed 90 days, if you evade arrest. When you are issued a ticket you are technical being arrested and then release on your own cognition with a condition to appear in front of a judge. It is also wrong drive the speed limit when the weather is bad. Automatically 65 miles an hour is reduced to 45 miles an hour in any inclement weather. In Germany on the autobahns the slower vehichle is obligated to get out of the way of the faster car. All in all when they have an accident hardly anyone lives.

If you have time to speed, to drive without a license, current registration and inspection sticker, you have the time to pay for it. All in all it can run as much as $1500 not incuding court cost and impoundment fees if you do not have insurance nor current stickers. It adds up!

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny458
Advanced Member
Member # 4378

Icon 13 posted      Profile for danny458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... there are times when speeding is safer than staying the speed limit... Have you ever seen the person going the speed limit cut into the left lane where traffic was going 15MPH fast? I dont buy any of the "because its safer arguments". Usually it is... but not always... If I need to pass by using the left lane, I respect the safety of others and will speed up to match the flow. Oh I am living in sin and now I must repent [Wink]
Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically sin is the breaking of Yahweh’s Laws.

But when you consider Yeshua’s word, love your neighbor as yourself, when speeding you are endangering the lives of everyone around you.(that diffenently not loving your neighbor as yourself)

And also when you consider the commandment “honor your father and mother” speeding become sinful because to be brought before a judge brings dishonor to a person’s mother and father.

And if by chance while speeding, you have an accident, and kill someone you would be guilty of breaking the 6th commandment.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! for you are braking a law (65 or 75) anything above is sin. Why Gods wrath was or is upon us? We are law brakers! No excuse Thou shall not go above the speed limit! [spiny]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is if your my daughter.Ha! She got a speeding ticket last November, driving my car (hers was in the shop) and she got clocked going 103mph in a 70mph zone.

Judge made her pay a BIG fine and I said Good! She deserved it. She asked the judge if she could get it reduced by taking the driving course for first offenders andhe laughed at her and said NO MAM. I think she has learned her lesson. It was costly but it could have been costlier by killing someone or even herself.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even including emergencies, speeding is wrong, it is against the law…

Romans 13:
1 everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

This scripture does match this certain situation, right?

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 17 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excluding emergencies, is going above the speed limit at all a sin?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement