Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Playing Cards

Author Topic: Playing Cards
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
The cards have been in the house for years. I'm kind of a packrat - don't throw things out very readily. [Roll Eyes]

I can definitely identify with that!

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been convicted yet to throw them out [Big Grin]

The cards have been in the house for years. I'm kind of a packrat - don't throw things out very readily. [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 17 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so now I'm inclined to ask if you voted no, that it's not ok to play cards, then why do you have cards?

If you're being convicted, best to be obedient!

[Wink]

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by redkermit:
Like I said, I wouldn't encourage it, with regards to gambling, but I won't have a problem having a deck of cards in the house, either.

Oh no redkermit, you just struck another chord. I have a few decks of cards lying around the house - maybe I will be convicted to throw them out. [youpi]  -
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
Thanks redkermit. I changed my face sheet. Is that any clearer? I can't edit the actual wording of the polls.

I believe that playing cards is something that could be a sin for one person and not for another. My Wesleyan background is so ingrained in me that it is a sin for me, and I have no problem with it. It is not worth making a stumbling block to stop the flow of His blessings.

It is all according to what your own personal convictions are from the Lord.

Thanks. I think we are basically on the same page with this one. Although I was raised in the Nazarene church (which at the time was pretty much the same as Wesleyan), my mom was also raised in the Wesleyan church, and therefore I was raised with much of those same values. Like I said, I wouldn't encourage it, with regards to gambling, but I won't have a problem having a deck of cards in the house, either.

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

HisGrace
unregistered

Thanks redkermit. I changed my face sheet. Is that any clearer? I can't edit the actual wording of the polls.

I believe that playing cards is something that could be a sin for one person and not for another. My Wesleyan background is so ingrained in me that it is a sin for me, and I have no problem with it. It is not worth making a stumbling block to stop the flow of His blessings.

There was a time that I was playing solitaire and other such games on the computer, even within the past few years. Eventually I felt as if the Lord spoke to me about that and I don't play those games anymore.

It is all according to what your own personal convictions are from the Lord.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to play hearts after the preaching on Bible Study at night

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

It is slightly confusing, as the question asks "Is playing cards a sin?" But the response options are

"No, because they are also used in the occult"

"Yes, it is ok"

I grew up in a very strict home, and playing cards were never allowed in our home. I wouldn't necessarily encourage it, but I don't have a problem with it, so I voted yes, assuming that meant yes it's ok to play cards. There was a time when it was taught (and maybe still is) that drums were of the devil, too.

I've gotten the impression that most here would probably say it's not ok, but to me, it's like drinking. It's not inherently a sin, but if you let it run your life, or take the place of God, then you are in trouble. I love euchre, and I engage in a nickel & dime poker night occasionally (once a month if that), and I don't have a problem with it.

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

HisGrace
unregistered

I voted "No' because when I grew up I was always told that playing cards were of the devil, so I am prompted not to indulge.

Here again there is always the danger of influencing others or being condemned by them. I think I would be disappointed if I saw a Baptist or Wesleyan preacher playing cards.

However, I did play cards before I became a Christian.

HisGrace
unregistered

Is playing cards a sin or not a sin?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement