Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » How do you celebrate Halloween? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do you celebrate Halloween?
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Betty, I completely agree with you.

But I think the point the others are trying to make, is that you should celebrate it on his real birthday. Not on the pagan holiday that was set hundreds of years ago.

The simple fact that they seem to forget is that no one really knows WHEN his REAL birthday is.

Most christians have no idea that Christmas is not Jesus' real birthday. Will God hold them accountable for something they don't know?? NO.

I think any day that we set aside to worship God and His Son, is a day that God HIMSELF blesses. As long as we come together in the name of the Holy One and not in the name of whatever pagan god, and celebrate Christ and God's great blessing, then it honors God and it blesses Him.

Blessings and Shalom.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told my husband about some people here that think it is a sin to celebrate Jesus' birth. He reminded me how God sent Angels, Shepherds, and wise men to celebrate His Son's birthday. Surely, we who have been given so much by Jesus can celeberate His birth also. [clap2]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BecauseHeLives,

What credentials and/or diplomas do you hold that you believe gives you the right to make such a statement about the Catholic Church? Have you researched the Catholic Church thoroughly including up to the present time? Have you ever attended any catholic services a number of times?
Have you ever conversed in depth with catholic christians to really know what any of their true beliefs are? You surely must know how very sad it is to see some people put down other churches and that CANNOT and ISN'T pleasing to Jesus or our
Heavenly Father!

I myself have attended a Harvest Festival which was held in a church here in the valley and the
games were a lot of fun for the children and adults alike. The children were given a lot of candy and everyone had quite an enjoyable time!

I firmly believe in celebrating Jesus's birth and will never give that up for there is nothing wrong with that at all. Think about it - the three wisemen came to see baby Jesus and brought gifts for him.

Anyway please think what you're doing before putting down other churches. Thank you.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is most people don't know just how evil the Roman Catholic Church is and was!

quote:
So who was that Jesus hung out with? Where did he go, and who did he spend time with? Are you suggesting that he did not hang out with the drunks, the prostitutes, etc?
He loved the prositututes, the drunkards, and every other sinner, but He never took part in their sins. He never became part of this world. He loved and died for the people in the world, not the world or the things in this world. He told them the truth, and then died for them.

Exactly what we are called to do?

Tell people the truth, all people unrighteous and righteous, show forth His death, by dying to self and if need be give up this life for the cause of Christ.

To live is Christ, to die is gain.

Amen Linda,

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have to tell you I will stand with Dale here.

I wont belabor the points he has already made. But I would ask you a couple of questions. And I pray that you will not dismiss this without at least considering what I offer prayerfully.

When Jesus speaks to the churches in the Revelation. He speaks of these things in serious rebuke:

[Bible] 1. thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

You will not that this church has in it those who hold the doctrine of Balaam.

Are we (who are alive and here today in this society) not numbered somewhere in the 7 churches Christ speaks too in his letters?

If Balaam doctrine led him to teach Balak how to make a stumbling block for GOD's Children and that stumbling block was the eating of things sacrificed to idols and fornication, then do you really think that we have no worries over this today?

Why was it a stumbling block for God's Children? Because it took them to a place of sin where they were not under his protective wing or in his will. Balak wanted to curse God's people, and he wanted to do it through Balaam. But Balaam could not curse what GOd had not cursed. So Balaam taught Balak how to get GOD to curse his own people!!!!!!!!!

[Bible] 2. "Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols."

Again above here we see Christ has a problem with his church. HIS CHURCH. I REPEAT HIS CHURCH.

Again I ask you are we who are here in America int he 21st century not numbered among one or more of these 7 churches to whom Jesus speaks?

Who is the one who today calls herself a prophetess, but is indeed Jezebel, the most dispicable of women. A woman who was a out and out pagan and married a son of Isreal, Who ruled the land of GOd's people in her husband's steed, Who killed the prophets of GOD and persecuted them horrifically, Who caused GOD's people to commit fornication and Idolotry and to eat the things sacrificed to idols.

WHO is this Jezebel in Christ's church in the 21st century?

What are the practices that she is leading GOD's people in today, a people that should be people of Christ the king, but are instead a people who have allowed HER to rule in HIS steed?

If Paul really taught that it was ok to eat things sacrificed to idols, why then does Jesus condemn his church for having someone teach it that causes his people to eat things sacrificed to idols????

What are these idols in the church today?

What are the fornications in the church today?

Who is this woman Jezebel and what is prophesying in the church today?

What is going to become of those who are today in bed with her???? Jesus says....

"and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works."

Please please note that Jesus sees the people, HIS people's involvement with her as ADULTERY!

[Bible] 3.Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Note here that in this church there are the DEEDS of the Nicolatians and in another there are people who have the Doctrine of the Nicolatians.

The deeds of the Nicolatians were that they made grace to be a lisence to sin. They perverted grace and claimed that it made them free from worry of punishment. GOD is Love Right? Half Truths are lies. God is also severe; holy and just. The nicolatians are said to have sought every indulgence in life. They were pleasure seekrs. They were sexually immoral. They thought nothing of wife swapping and orgies and the like.

Additionally, their doctrines called for the establishment of a heirarchy within the group in which the clergy or elder or deacons, lorded over the laity and the laity had to approach GOD and the learning of GOD through the clergy. The clergy believing that the laity was too stupid or uneducated to understand the greater things of God.

And so again I must ask you.. Are we who are alive now today in this the 21st century church, not numbered some where among one or more of the 7 churches to whom Christ speaks?

Who today have members within their congregations that hold the doctrines of the Nicolatians or perform the deeds of the Nicolatians?

4. "5 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:"

Lastly the Luke Warm. Jesus said he would rather we be cold than look warm. Think about that please. The Lord Jesus Christ says he would rather we be COLD- STONE DEAD COLD- than be luke warm!

A cold church my friends is a church without Christ. He is an all consuming fire. And Jesus says in the 21st century there will be folks in my church that I would rather that they be lost without God in the world than be what they are....luke warm.

Jesus is an all consuming fire. What does this fire consume?

Jesus is HOT in US. And I am not talking about how busy you are running around from this meeting to that or this Bible study to the next or how many youth rallies you sponsored or attended or helped with. I am not talking about HOW on fire you got lifting hands and getting into the music on sunday. I am not talking about that wonderful warm rush that ran through your body as you worshipped. I am also not mocking or condemning those things that are wonderful things. But this is not what Jesus speaks of here.

We know that because this church to whom he speaks is a blessed church. It has a lot going on. In fact this church thinks it needs nothing. It is working; it is growing in size; it has coffers full and is rich rich rich. It has works, it is probably feeding the poor, and reaching out to youth and it probably supports missions. It does not lack works.

BUT... Jesus says in the 21st century there will be folks in HIS church that HE would rather that they be lost without God in the world than be what they are....luke warm.

Jesus is an all consuming fire. What does he consume? Sin, unrighteouness, stubble, chaff, tares, inequity, un justness, evil, the works of the devil,.....the world and the things of the world perhaps?

Jesus cannot be an all consuming fire in the hearts of the luke warm.

Paul said these days would come:

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

I ask you who in the church today in America in the 21st century is Luke Warm?

Who has a fire in them, but it is smoldering. It is like coals that lack fuel and oxygen... they are only embers. The things that normally the raging flames of an all consuming fire would consume, their hearts co-exist with. They are luke warm and Jesus says it would be better to be stone dead cold than luke warm.

Who is luke warm today? Are we not numbered in one or more of the churches to whom Jesus writes? Who among us? Who among our congregations? Which whole congregations are luke warm today?

What is the Gold tried in the fire that the luke warm are counseled to by from Jesus?

I believe it is HIS word. Jesus said heaven and earth would pass, but not his words. They are tried in the fire and they remain.

He also says buy from him white raiment that they may be clothed. Who gets white raiment? To Sardis he says...

"4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; "

Could it just be that those who do not defile the garments that they now have, will receive garments of white raiment?

I am a firm believer that it is not we who can convict any of anything. It must be the Spirit.

But I would also caution that the Luke Warm church, felt that they were just fine. So, I will say only this. This is what I see. I do not offer it for to win a popularity contest.

I also do not offer it that you hear my words. If any of this be my own words and not his, then throw them out with the nightly trash, because I am nothing and no one.

But I offer it, in hopes perhaps that some of it just might be HIS words and not my own. IF that be the case then I shall pray that He who has ears let him hear what Christ says to the churches.

Whom he loves he also chastens, and in times past he chastened with men who had words and visions that they did not desire to have or to speak, but they spoke because they could do nothing else.

Many, almost all, did not want to hear them. So they mocked, and they stoned and they killed the men who spoke the things they could not do anything else but speak.

Will we again raise up hands to stone the ones that God sends to chasten his people?

I cant speak for you all. I can only speak for myself. And me... I am afraid I have too much sin to cast the first stone. I don't know about you, but me... I am not Philadelphia yet, though I have hope to be. Right now, I know that somewhere in all those rebukes to the churches of Revelation, I am numbered.

May WE ALL BY HIS POWER BECOME OVERCOMERS!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

BHL Writes -
quote:

Once dedicated to pagans (Satan), always dedicated to pagan (Satan). Halloween, Christmas or Easter

This sounds an awful lot like "Once a Sinner, Always a Sinner" to me...And you are incorrectly conveying the message of Holidays -

Paul taught it quite plainly, you should at the very least accept what he taught - Just because it is not ok for you does NOT make it NOT OK for someone else -

In fact, you teaching so adamently against these holidays creates a stumbling block, not a faith building block...

BHL Writes -
quote:

The Holy Spirit would not / will not ever lead the child of Yahweh into a mixture with this world. Never forget a little leaven leavens the whole lump!

So who was that Jesus hung out with? Where did he go, and who did he spend time with? Are you suggesting that he did not hang out with the drunks, the prostitutes, etc?

Halloween is one of the most misunderstood and ALMOST everyone knows absolutely nothing about it's true history...

One can find hundreds of web-sites with articles, sermons, or editorials condemning the observance of this holiday. In fact, many Christians have taken a strong stance against Halloween on the grounds that it supports Satan-worship and pagan gods.

This places many of us, especially those with children, in an uncomfortable position. How should we, as Christians, respond to this holiday? Is it sinful and evil or just fun and games? Is it a problem or a potential opportunity?

While it is true that the Roman Catholic Church designated October 31 as “the eve of the holy ones’ day” (All Hallows Eve) as a prelude to All Saints’ Day, it was actually pre-Christian pagan religion which gave this day its sinister meaning and traditions.

The American “celebration” of Halloween draws heavily from Scottish and Irish folk customs that can be directly traced to pre-Christian times.

Although modern Halloweens can be viewed as nights of rollicking fun and eerie games, its pagan beginnings were not so innocent.

Halloween was a celebration of the Druids in honor of Samhain, the “lord of the dead” according to their tradition, whose festival fell on November 1.

It was a Druid belief that, on the eve of this festival, the Lord of Death called together the wicked souls that within the past 12 months had been condemned to inhabit the bodies of animals.

The Druids believed that on Halloween, ghosts, spirits, fairies, witches, and elves came out to harm people. They thought that the cat was sacred and believed that cats had once been human beings but were changed as a punishment for evil deeds – which makes you wonder why they were sacred.

There was a prevailing belief among many nations that at death the souls of good men were taken by good spirits and carried to paradise, but the souls of wicked men were left to wander in the space between the earth and the moon, or consigned to inhabit animals. The pagans believed that on this one night of the year, Halloween, the souls of the dead returned to their original homes.

To exorcise these ghosts or to free yourself from their evil influence, you’d set out food – give them a “treat” – and provide them with shelter for the night. If they were satisfied, it was believed they would leave you in peace. If they were not satisfied – if food and shelter were not provided – the ghosts would “trick” you by casting a spell on you and reeking havoc in your home.

Around 300 A.D., the Roman emperor Constantine began a process to “Christianized” the Roman Empire. This “Christianization” process resulted in multitudes of immoral pagans flocking into the Catholic church and gaining easy membership. But these heathen converts brought many pagan practices with them – and Halloween was one of them.

How was the RCC to deal with this? It realized that to excommunicate these new members would drastically reduce her size, her strength, and her income. That was unacceptable.

They reasoned that if a pagan ritual or festival could not simply be forbidden and removed from its ranks it could be “Christianized” instead. Let the recent converted pagans keep their festivals like Halloween, but christen them and give them a “Christian” name. What could be simpler?

In the 800’s the Roman Catholic Church established All Saints’ Day on November 1 – to commemorate the saints who had died that year.

The mass that was held on this day was called Allhollowmas.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 16 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way, the straight and narrow way that lead to eternal life, is Jesus / Yeshua. He will not mix with this world. He loves this world and died to bring Salvation to every person that has ears to hear, eyes to see, and hearts to believe.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Do any of you know anything about the “otherness of Christ”

Texasgrandma, all I can say is Yahweh have mercy on you.

Bat Elohim, I thought Hank Hanegraaff was supposed to be a reasonably intelligent man, but I guess I was wrong. He knows the pagan roots and apparently knows what God’s Word says in the Old and New Testament and still chooses to go against God’s Word. The love of this world is a very strong thing. Leaven if allowed will permeate all it touches.

Now for this statement

quote:
Halloween can be for us, like the early Christian church, an open door for evangelism. The deception of Halloween, with its witches, demons, skeletons, and allusions to death, can become a powerful springboard to demonstrate the dramatic power of Christ to redeem us from death, to fill us with His Spirit, and to give our lives meaning, purpose, and direction.
If he meant to go out and just preach, Jesus. To do as the early Church did. I would agree with him.

quote:
Christians, this is not a time to look the other way as we do so often when passing by a graveyard. Halloween is not a time for avoidance; this is an opportunity, so seize the moment! Death, demons, pain, and suffering are real in a cursed creation. All of us have to struggle with it, and so will our children.
This should be everyday, not just Halloween.

quote:
C. S. Lewis's masterful work The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
Pagan and demonic to the core.

Yes, this is not a time to curse the darkness, but a time to light a candle. If we are indeed serious about making an impact on a lost and dying world, we will call the American Church to repentance. For continuing mixture of the pure Word of God with the heathen elements of this world can bring nothing but death.

To do something in ignorance is one thing, to do something knowing full well the roots of the thing, is ignorance gone to seed.

Favor Minded,

quote:
Today, we have a holiday that was once dedicated to a pagan god (Satan).
Once dedicated to pagans (Satan), always dedicated to pagan (Satan). Halloween, Christmas or Easter

quote:
Some people understand there is no such thing as ghosts or goblins and have no problem participating in the modern celebration.
Same people don’t believe in demon possession.

quote:
Certainly, if we were alive in the in the years preceding Christianity, we would have no part in the pagan celebration of Samhain.

If we lived in the Middle Ages, still we would not participate in a religious holiday that was not ordained by God. But Halloween has changed quite a bit over the ages.

Yes Satan has dressed up a lot of things to look atractive.

Favor Minded when did God change, “He is the same yesterday, today and forever” is He not?

Please explain when He changed?

quote:
The pagan gods to whom the meat was sacrificed don’t actually exist.
My friends or enemies, which ever the case may be, Satan does exist!

As far as the meat was concerned, he said if it was going to cause a weaker brother to stumble, don’t eat it.

2Pe 3:16-17 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know [these things] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness.

The special days made reference to in Romans 14, do not refer to days that were founded in pagan (Satanic) roots.

quote:
He was referring to Jewish holidays. Some Christians felt like certain days were holy and still observed them, other Christians understood that the only holy day we now have is the Lord’s day – which we celebrate every week.
There is only one day that the Scriptures say to remember and keep Holy (separate) that is the Sabbath. Friday and sundown, to Saturday at sundown. (This is a different tread tough)

The only way to understand the Scriptures is line upon line, precept upon precept. And that primarily from the Old Testament. When Jesus said search ye the Scriptures, because in them you believe you have eternal life. Jesus was referring to the Old Testament. We only discover clarity in the New Testament, as we understand the Old Testament.

The Holy Spirit would not / will not ever lead the child of Yahweh into a mixture with this world. Never forget a little leaven leavens the whole lump!

Keeping the feast of Israel is one thing, they were established by the Yahweh, and observed by Jesus when He walked this earth. Jesus fulfilled Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, and then 50 days after resurrection (First Fruits) sent the promised Holy Spirit, fulfilling Pentecost.

Then came the (Chanukah) Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon's Colonnade. The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." John 10:22-24 (Chanukah is the Festival of Lights, and Jesus / Yeshua is the Light of this world.

But the ???? Church ???? would rather celebrate Easter, Christmas, and Halloween and try to find approval from the Scriptures. No matter how educated you are, mixing this world with Jesus / Yeshua just will not work. There is a way that seem right to men, but the end thereof is death.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very good FM!

my post came from a crosswalk devotional that I received this morning.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

AMEN TexasGrandma!

AMEN BAT!

Great Post Bat!!

READ ROMANS 14:1-9

Certainly, if we were alive in the in the years preceding Christianity, we would have no part in the pagan celebration of Samhain.
 -
If we lived in the middle ages, still we would not participate in a religious holiday that was not ordained by God. But Halloween has changed quite a bit over the ages.

Today, most people – and certainly most children – have no knowledge of Halloween’s pagan origins. It is a day when children can dress up like their favorite super-hero, animal, or cartoon character and enjoy their youth.

The issue that Paul is dealing with in Romans 14 is very similar to what we’re talking about – it had to do with meat that was sacrificed to pagan gods.
 -
Those Christians with stronger faith and more understanding, realized that it didn’t matter. It’s just meat. The pagan gods to whom the meat was sacrificed don’t actually exist.

But there were weaker Christians who believed it was wrong to eat anything that was once dedicated to a pagan god or false idol.

-

And Paul, in effect, says, “That’s fine.” If you are uncomfortable with it don’t do it.

-

But, also realize that other Christians will eat that meat and they have every right to do so.

-

Paul even applies this principle to holidays - One person regards one day above another, another regards everyday alike… He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord - Rom. 14:5-6

-

He was referring to Jewish holidays. Some Christians felt like certain days were holy and still observed them, other Christians understood that the only holy day we now have is the Lord’s day – which we celebrate every week.

But again, Paul tells them: this is not an issue. If someone wants to observe a holiday – let them – they are doing it to give glory to God.

-

If we take these two examples and put them together, we get a fairly accurate picture of the controversy over Halloween.

Today, we have a holiday that was once dedicated to a pagan god. Some people understand there is no such thing as ghosts or goblins and have no problem participating in the modern celebration.

Others believe that Halloween’s dubious origins make it something in which Christians should not be involved.

-

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Halloween: Oppression Or Opportunity?
Hank Hanegraaff

A myriad of questions have been raised about Halloween. Should Christians participate in Halloween? What should our attitude be towards Halloween? Should we simply ignore it? Should we vigorously attack it? Or should we, as Christians, find ways in which to accommodate it?

Before offering some suggestions on how we as Christians might best relate to Halloween, I think it would be appropriate to first consider the pagan origin of Halloween.

The celebration of Halloween, also known as the witches' new year, is rooted in the ancient pagan calendar which divided the year into Summer and Winter by two fire festivals. Before the birth of Christ, the day we know as Halloween was part of the Celtic Feast of Samhain (sah-ween). This feast was a celebration of Druid priests from Britain and France and commemorated the beginning of Winter.

It was a night on which the veil between the present world and the world beyond was pierced. The festivals were marked by animal sacrifices, offerings to the dead, and bonfires in recognition of departed souls. It was believed that on this night demons, witches, hobgoblins, and elves were released en masse to harass and to oppress the living. For self-preservation many Druids would dress up as witches, devils, and ghouls, and would even involve themselves in demonic activities and thus make themselves immune from attack.

In direct response to this pagan tradition, the early Christian church moved a festive celebration called All Saints' Day from May to November 1 and renamed it All Hallows' Eve, from which we get the word Halloween. This was an overt attempt on the part of believers to infiltrate pagan tradition with the truth of the gospel.

It was a bold evangelistic move designed to demonstrate that only the power of the resurrected Christ could protect men and women from the destructive ploys of Satan and his minions. This was a time in which they boldly proclaimed the marvelous fact of the resurrection and the lordship of Jesus Christ.

Believers in post-Christian America today should do no less. Halloween can be for us, like the early Christian church, an open door for evangelism. The deception of Halloween, with its witches, demons, skeletons, and allusions to death, can become a powerful springboard to demonstrate the dramatic power of Christ to redeem us from death, to fill us with His Spirit, and to give our lives meaning, purpose, and direction.

There are three specific things which I would suggest that you and your family plan for Halloween: First of all, I would use Halloween as an opportunity to communicate to your children, your family members, and your friends that although death and the grave are very real, we are more than conquerors over the powers of darkness through Jesus Christ.

Second, this is an appropriate time to consider the saints who have gone on before us - those loved ones who make the thought of heaven sweet. Even now my mind goes back to precious moments of days spent with Walter Martin. When I think of heaven, I think not only of what it will be like to meet Jesus Christ, but I think of what it will be like to be reunited with this marvelous saint who has had such a significant impact not only on my life but the lives of countless others as well.

This is also a great opportunity to share with my children the life of a saintly grandmother who prayed earnestly for me night after night while I was engulfed in a life of sin. Although she is no longer with us, the answers to her prayers live on.

Christians, this is not a time to look the other way as we do so often when passing by a graveyard. Halloween is not a time for avoidance; this is an opportunity, so seize the moment! Death, demons, pain, and suffering are real in a cursed creation. All of us have to struggle with it, and so will our children.

This is not a time for glib and superficial answers - this is a time to build intimate and lasting relationships with those whom God has entrusted to our care. This is the time to reach them and to nurture them in the rich traditions of the Christian faith. Let your children know that Satan is not a character dressed in a red union suit with horns and a pitchfork; instead, he is a very real and powerful adversary whose goal is to steal, kill, and destroy.

Finally, let me suggest that this would be a time to share some of the great classics of the Christian faith with your children. Perhaps you could curl up on the floor with them before a roaring fire and read to them from Pilgrim's Progress, or from C. S. Lewis's masterful work The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Yes, this is not a time to curse the darkness, but a time to light a candle. If we are indeed serious about making an impact on a lost and dying world, Halloween represents not just satanic oppression but a strategic opportunity.

> Reprinted with permission of Christian Research Institute. For more information about CRI, and further resources on Halloween, visit www.equip.org

Christian Research Institute, P.O. Box 7000, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not believe it is displeasing God to celebrate His birth. I think it is more displeasing to sit back and allow the world to take Jesus out of the Holiday rather than fight to keep him in it.
You are more like a JW than any Christian I know. They too do not celebrate Holidays. Me, I celebrate
holidays and I honestly do not feel that God is displeased when we take any take to Honor Him and His Son.

Life in your house must be very depressing when you are not allowed to have any kind of celebration.
Me, I look forward to the days to celebrate my Lord and the wonderful things that He has done for me.
DOn't dare imply that I am displeasing to God. I am His CHild and I honor Him on those days. A day of celebration of our Lord Jesus Christ is not a sin.

as far as halloween it is not a relegious holiday. It is a time for children to have fun. Children need fun. I will hand out my candy and I will pray for the safety of each child that is out that night. I will use any opportunity to talk to each
child about God and His love. We can use halloween for good just like Bro. Favor said

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Texasgrandma

becauseHElives, I resent you implying that anyone giving out candy on Halloween is ignorant. We had this argument a long time ago about Christmas. I will celebrate Jesus’ birthday and you can't stop me!
Christians are having to fight tooth and nail to keep Jesus in Christmas and you want to turn the day over to a secular holiday. Christmas is about Jesus. It is not called santamas!

I would rather you resent me now, than in eternity.

Yes we did have this argument a long time ago about Christmas and my convictions from the Word of God have not changed. Christmas is an extra Biblical, pagan holiday, established by the Great W!hore, the Roman Catholic Church.

No I can not stop you are anyone else from taking part in it, but I can and will warn you and everyone else that is deceived by it, because the Love of Yeshua will not let me do other wise.

Christmas doesn’t need to be turn over to them, it is their day to start with. If it had anything to do with the real Jesus/Yeshua you couldn’t get the world to touch Christmas with a 10-foot pole.

2Cr 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him].

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

The Scripture tell us the World hated Him, and the World will hate you also if you …

Jhn 15:18-20 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

If Christmas were truly about Yeshua, the world would despise it. But Christmas is not about the Messiah Yeshua/Jesus in Scripture, that it is another Christ, the Christ of Roman Catholicism.

Favor Minded, it is truly sad to see you believe what you say.

The Blood bought Church of Yeshua the Messiah of all mankind, reduced to a amusement park for children. Fun and games as an alternative to the Power of Yahweh.

quote:
Why think is so evil, when evil can be used for good????
Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Rom 3:8 And not [rather], (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.

1Pe 3:11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it

3Jo 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

Psa 34:14 Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

Psa 38:20 They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow [the thing that] good [is].

Psa 52:3 Thou lovest evil more than good; [and] lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah.
Pro 28:10 Whoso causeth the righteous to go astray in an evil way, he shall fall himself into his own pit: but the upright shall have good [things] in possession.

Jer 4:22 For my people [is] foolish, they have not known me; they [are] sottish children, and they have none understanding: they [are] wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

Jer 18:10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

Jer 18:11 Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

--------------------

Favor Minded
unregistered

Churches are NOT apostate because they host a Harvest Fest to give kids a SAFE place to go on Halloween.

We have literally truck loads of candy donated - Then we set up game booths and Air Slides, you know,like you see at the Kiddie parks.

We have all kinds of games and things to do, with the "Halloween" Overtone removed.

The Harvest Moon of October is really one to be enjoyed and viewed through a telescope, as it is a very majestic sight that few behold with the diginity it deserves.

Just as a Harvest Fest is a way of bringing the Community together that would otherwise be lost just the secular traditions of the holiday.

Think about it - Do we go into a drinking establishment as Jesus did and witness, or do we enter it and grab their drinks and throw it in their face.

I truly believe God wants us to be a witness, not a WIT NOT -

A WIT NOT stand by, shakes his head at the kids in costumes, and says "I'll Pray for You!" -

A Witness ensures safety and love, and shows them the Love of Jesus the same way he did - Not by dressing up like Ozzy Osbourne, but by giving them a ride around the parking lot in a hay wagon and giving them a chance to fill their bags with Candy from the fun of fellowship, instead of the fun of Witch and Vampire costumes...

We do not, however, put down or deny entrance to the children whose parents have dressed them this way to come...

It is about love and witness - And fellowship and fun...

Why think is so evil, when evil can be used for good????

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives

I resent you implying that anyone giving out candy on halloween is ignorant. We had this argument a long time ago about Christmas. I will celebrate Jesus's birthday and you can't stop me!
Christians are having to fight tooth and nail to keep Jesus in Christmas and you want to turn the day over to a secular holiday. Christmas is about Jesus. It is not called santamas!

[mad2]

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be praying for an apostate Church, worshiping Satan on his high holy day.

I can not believe any Born Again, Blood Bought, Child of the King could be that ignorant. For sure if your Church and your Pastor's do not see this as evil and mixing with the world, they need help. And so do you.

It is bad enough to celebrate Christmas, a pagan holy day, but Holloween????????????????? [BooHoo]

Father open their eyes and ears before it is to late.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

When I was a child we used to dress up every year. Since I live out in the country now, there aren't many trick-or-treaters, so I take my son to church "harvest" festivals.
This year, since it is landing on Sunday, we are having a big cookout at our church. There will be a sing-a-long and bonfire. It's not really a harvest festival, we usually have one of these "parties" every month anyway, this month we've just decided to have it that particular sunday.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

got my candy and we are ready. I love to see the little children dressed up.

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

I think I am with Betty on this one. When I was growing up there was nothing at all said in the religious community, in the small town in which I lived, about the "evils of tricking or treating", and I allowed my children to do it also. It is just about the past 5 years I have been hearing this.

I do have to say though, that I used to put out orange and black balloons on the verandah and decorated a bit, but I don't do that anymore. However, I will have treats for the little ones if they come to the door.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

We always celebrated Halloween as children. When I was a kid there was nothing evil about it. I went trick or treating until I was too old and then the youth group had Halloween parties.
I took my kids trick or treating. Sometimes the Church that we attended had Halloween parties for the kids and we took them there.
Iroically, there is a school here in Washington that has outlawed Halloween this year because witches or complaning. But the parents are fighting this.
To me a Holiday is what you make of it.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused] [spiny] Celebrate Halloween???? [spiny] [1zhelp]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you celebrate Halloween?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement