Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » (Capitol punishment.)

Author Topic: (Capitol punishment.)
Mills
Member # 3124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entire judicial system is flawed. There are many people on death row that are innocent and who knows how many have been executed that are innocent.
What bothers me the most is that some cases are used to make an example out of and others are not. The fact is that each murder case is attached to the loss of human life. Who is to say that the victims life is worth much more than another victims?

--------------------
The light in the eyes of him whose heart is joyful, rejoices the heart of others.
--Proverbs 15:30

Posts: 4 | From: myrtle beach, sc | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God would not have had the below written if it is not what He thinks about it.

What the bible says about it:

Exodus 21:12-29 (KJV)

12He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death. 13And if a man lie not in wait, but God deliver him into his hand; then I will appoint thee a place whither he shall flee. 14But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die. 15And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. 16And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death. 17And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. 18And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with his fist, and he die not, but keepeth his bed: 19If he rise again, and walk abroad upon his staff, then shall he that smote him be quit: only he shall pay for the loss of his time, and shall cause him to be thoroughly healed. 20And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. 21Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
22If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman’s husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, 24Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. 26And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye’s sake. 27And if he smite out his manservant’s tooth, or his maidservant’s tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth’s sake. 28If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit. 29But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pp2mnE wrote:
quote:
If this statement were used to judge, then all of us would be put to death because we are all guilty of something...

all of us would be put to death because we are all guilty of something...

That kind of hits home, doesn't it?

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultimate
Community Member
Member # 2989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that if you commit murder, that justifies you to be executed. Our Judicial system is not getting any brownie points. There is to much rascism and if you our rich, no-matter what you do , you have a good shot at buying your way out. I believe that yes! people that commit murder should have to pay the price. [type]

--------------------
Mark 11:24 " Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when we pray, believe that ye recieve them, and ye shall have them."

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the Bible says:

Genesis 9:5-6: "And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

Leviticus 24:17-22: "And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God."

Why Did God Institute Capital Punishment?

Why would a loving God who is supposed to love all of mankind issue these edicts? To answer this question, we must understand the overall purpose of God. In the first scripture we can see that God's command was based on the dignity of man, as he is made in the image of God. God created the first man, Adam, gave him Eve, and told them to be fruitful and multiply. God desired not only to have fellowship with them, but with all subsequent generations. However, to be able to have real communion with man, God created him with a will. Men were given the right to choose if they wanted to commune with, and love and obey God or if they would rather choose to live apart from God, and reject and disobey Him.

God knew when He created men with free wills that not all would follow and obey Him. However, He also knew that many would want to love and serve Him. In giving men free will, He also had to establish laws for men to live by. When we look at the Ten Commandments listed in Exodus 20:1-17, we can see that these laws were given for the good of mankind. One of these laws is in verse 13: "Thou shalt not kill." You may wonder if God said "do not kill," why He would then decree that a murderer should be put to death. The reason is that the Hebrew meaning of the word translated as "kill" actually means "murder" or "to slay someone in a violent manner unjustly." So, in the Ten Commandments God is saying, "Thou shalt not murder."

God Sanctioned Government Authorities to Enforce Laws

God set boundaries on mankind by establishing ruling authorities that would make and enforce the laws He gave. The purpose for this was because He knew unregenerate society, without any restraints, would seek to destroy good men. God's desire is that all men would come to Him and live by His laws. However, when Adam and Eve disobeyed God and broke His law, sin entered into the world and was passed down to all of mankind through Adam's seed. God, in His love for mankind, made a way for men to come back to Him, through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus. Because Jesus lived free of sin and obeyed the law of God perfectly, He became the sin offering and died upon a cross, thus paying the price for all men's sin. He then rose from the dead the third day showing that He indeed was the son of God. Now those who accept what Jesus did and repent of their sins can find their way through faith to be reconciled to God. This sacrifice covers and cleanses men even from the worst of sins including murder. Now, through Christ, even murderers can be forgiven and restored to a relationship with God so they can live forever with Him.

Where we find most of our problems with the two sides of capital punishment is that really both sides hold a truth of God. God's law of justice for the taking of a life demands that life be taken; yet, God's spiritual law of mercy and forgiveness grants that a murderer can be forgiven and restored. How can we reconcile this? We must understand that God instituted civil authorities to maintain order in the earth. God uses them to restrain evil and they should be obeyed for this purpose. In the New Testament we see that even Jesus surrendered to the governing authorities because He was submitted to God.

John 19:11: "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above..."

Romans 13 (RSV)
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
2 Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; he is the servant of God to execute his wrath on the wrongdoer.
5 Therefore one must be subject, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

From these verses we see that governments can elect to practice capital punishment, the harshest form of punishment. It is enforced in the United States today and each year there are about 250 people added to death row and 35 executed. Once a jury has agreed on convicting a person of a criminal offense, they then proceed to the second part of the trial, which is to then set the proper amount of punishment for the severity of the crime. This is the punishment phase. If the jury recommends the death penalty and the judge agrees that it is just, then the criminal will face some form of execution. Lethal injection is the most common form used today. The choices of execution vary from state to state but are as follows: hanging, electrocution, gas chamber, firing squad, and lethal injection. There are guidelines that are followed before a prisoner is sentenced to death. Of those, one of the most important reads: Capital punishment may be imposed only when guilt is determined by clear and convincing evidence leaving no room for an alternative explanation of the fact (Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Branch 5-25-84).

Read more...

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pp2mnE
Member # 2900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pp2mnE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree that capital punishment works. And even if they aren't guilty of the crime they were convicted of, as sure as rain, they're guilty of something else. So either way, justice is served.

If this statement were used to judge, then all of us would be put to death because we are all guilty of something...

I don't believe in capital punishment because there are people sitting in prisons who have been falsely accused of crimes that they did not commit. God is the final judge.

Posts: 3 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once saw something a while ago...

There were two brothers. Although they look uncannily alike, they are not twins. Back in the early to mid 80's or so, one of them robbed some people, among other crimes (of which I forget). His brother, however, was kind-hearted, law-abiding, and an upstanding member of the community.

The police came knocking on the door, and arrested the law-abiding brother. In a lineup, the families pointed him out as being the guilty one. He was sent to jail for IIRC 20 years or so. His brother (the one who really committed the crime) went off scot-free, until his conscience caught up with him until about 10 years later. He went to the police and confessed, which changed nothing. The innocent brother stayed in prison. Everything possible was done to correct the injustice, until about 5 years later, when they went to the media. It was a couple years later when he was finally released. The innocent brother spent 17-18 years in jail for a crime his brother committed, and the guilty one didn't spend a day.

Now, what if the guilty brother had committed murder instead of robbery? The innocent one would have been put to death, and the guilty one would have to live with that fact, and the police would have a lot to answer for. There are just too many chances for something to slip inbetween the cracks.

'Sides, we must always ask ourselves, "is it right if it's done to us?" Would it be right for you to die innocently for another's crimes? Has everyone, including yourself, done something so heinous that is deserving of death by the U.S. Justice System?

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loyerd6
Member # 2956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loyerd6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that capital punishment works. And even if they aren't guilty of the crime they were convicted of, as sure as rain, they're guilty of something else. So either way, justice is served.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we had a truly ideal justice system, then capitol punishment would work, and I'd be 100% for it, if it *truly* worked (because we would be following what God has said).

But since our country has this nasty tendency to imprison the innocent (occasionally for the sake of time, or placating the guilty [or so-called guilty] party), I am against it.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 18 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Prayer]

Father i thank you for the work that you have done and are perfecting in my Brother's heart.

i appreciate his love and wisdom that you have bestowed upon him.

Your kingdom is furthered by Dales love and caring heart that you have put in him.

Father break up the "fallow" ground of my heart that i might attain the love that my Brother has.

Amen.

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen my Brother Dale. BHL

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the rock is still in your hand, you can expect the same measure of mercy from Yahweh the Father you are giving to others.

The depth of one persons sin needs no less mercy than the worst of the worst.

How can anyone that calls theirself a Christian (one who is Christ like) cry for the death of another, how can one who claims to be Christ like for any reason take the life of another.

Yeshua/Jesus made it plain this is not our Kingdom, if this were His Kingdom His servants/disiples would fight for it.

Many claim to be a new creature, born again by the Spirit of Yahweh, but their heart is still the same old hard heart.

The Commandment of love that Yeshua gave is totally disregarded, Love the Lord your God Yahweh with all your heart and being and love your neighbor (that person on death row in Texas)as yourself.

One of my daughters was raped and I was allowed to confront the man that did it. In front of witnesses I told Him He was a lucky man, that if Yahweh had not done the work that He had done in me (my heart), He would not have to worry about tommorow, because He would be dead.

But praise Yahweh the stones have been removed from my hand.

ROM 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H2G2
Advanced Member
Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for H2G2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happy boy:
Those who were not guilty did not go on to kill again either.

Ah! The old "Kill 'em all let God sort 'em out" method.

So much for justice [Frown]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happy boy
Community Member
Member # 2793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happy boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who were not guilty did not go on to kill again either.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happyboy states;

quote:
no one excecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.
This is true; but all those that were executed in Texas: IF they did not know Yahshua as saviour will burn in hell...

i will have to agree with God:

[Bible]

EZEK 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

[Bible]

--------------------

Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, assuming that evreyone put to death in Texas was actually guilty of the crimes they were accused of.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happy boy
Community Member
Member # 2793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happy boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the state of confusion (Texas)capitol punishment works,no one excecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement