Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Is Headcovering an ordinance for today's woman in the body of Christ?

Author Topic: Is Headcovering an ordinance for today's woman in the body of Christ?
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to your earlier post, I'm a little surprized by the poll results also. I know how opinionated we all can be at times, but I still expected more "I don't know" answers than have been posted. It seems (based on other polls I seen on other boards) many will:
1) Not click that box for "I don't know" because they don't have to - the poll is anonymous! In other words, they'll take a position they don't have to defend and no one will know it was them.
or
2) They do click that "I don't know" box because none of the other answers are exactly the way they would phrase it.

Of course, some dismiss the poll entirely because none of the other answers are exactly the way they would phrase it.

I'll join in the discussion on the other thread rather than draw this out here. BTW, good poll.

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your points are good Daniel. Certainly I do not think that an ordinance is a sacrament. Thank you for bringing these points to my attention.

Command is ok by me, but I cant edit a poll.

I see ordinance like this: I especially like the "someting perscribed" I think that would best suit my intention.

02708 hqx chuqqah khook-kaw’

from 02706; TWOT-728b; n f

AV-statute 77, ordinance 22, custom 2, appointed 1, manners 1, rites 1; 104

1) statute, ordinance, limit, enactment, something prescribed
1a) statute

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think "Ordinance" is an appropriate word for what we're trying to convey - or at least what you seemed to be conveying in the poll. Certainly it would not be a sacrament, and some tend to use the term ordinance as a synonym for sacrament - I don't. Maybe, however, we should ask if it is a Command of God, a command of Paul, a tradition with social/societal/moral significance, a comment by Paul expressing his oppinion (Paul was quite vocal in his oppinions and guidance - 1 Corinthians 7 is a good example of his stating his expectations aeparately from the LORD's.), or an ordinance (and they'll have to give a definition of ordinance!)

Ordnance, however, is a field about which I am all too familiar. I am a member of the Order of Saint Barbara - patron saint of the folks who work around things that go "boom."

--------------------

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Indeed I agree explosive Daniel! Perhaps ordinance is not a good word??

How about something we are called according to scripture to do. As we as women are called to be under the authoriity of man. husband/ father/ etc. Would that be a better choice of words? Would it make a difference in how you voted? Or any else for that matter?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

an ordinance ??? I don't think so - of course I may be wrong - but I know for sure that it would be ordnance (explosive) if anyone tried to enforce it here! [Big Grin]

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Wow, some interesting results here!
storm1
Community Member
Member # 2456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for storm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted not sure.....but a better answer from me would of been: NONE OF THE ABOVE

K

Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Well, I couldnt figure out how to edity the old poll so here is a new poll that includes an I Dont know as Barry Suggested.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 16 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement