Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Children's Fantasy Stories?

Author Topic: Children's Fantasy Stories?
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Princess Bride (yes, the book) is a good one.
The book of Ruth is especially good for teenagers, too.

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digory
Advanced Member
Member # 1711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think the Chronicles of Narnia are absolutely awesome! The same people that made Lord of the Rings movies are making Narnia movies as well. Promises to be cool.
Lots of folks have an issue with the harry potter vs. Narnia thing (fantasy).
One issue to look at is...who's under who's authority?
In the narnia series everything..EVERYTHING is under the authority of the good and terrible Lion, Aslan, son of the emperor from acoss the sea.
Who was Harry Potter's authority? Harry Potter.
There is a huge difference in the books. Trying to explain "authority" to an unsaved person is like trying to explain air to a fish. But all we can do is pray for them and share.

--------------------
1 Cor 16:13-14
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, be men of courage, be strong and do everything in love.

Posts: 36 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rach
Advanced Member
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books are a gateway to learning. Yes, there are plenty of stories in the Bible to learn from, but there are a few essentials we are missing here. First of all, most adolescents don’t find them very interesting, and don’t find they relate to their lives at all. The world has changed a lot, and kids are looking for something to relate to. They need reading material that helps them deal with today’s issues- i.e. peer pressure, drugs, making choices that did not exist in Christ’s time. The fundamentals may be the same, but transferring these ideals is too hard for kids. They are not mini- adults who can transfer lessons in their heads that easily. Most adults have trouble with that.

Whether you believe in reading fantasy books or not, they are a portal to a wealth of information, that most kids can relate to- and if monitored does send out a positive message in dealing with moral issues. If kids are taught from the beginning the difference between truth and fantasy, they should know the difference.

Kids are going to read what kids want to read, the real question is, what will they be truly prepared for?

Posts: 41 | From: NC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bible has enough true stories that no fantasy books should be needed. And you don't have to question the moral of the Bible stories.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No fair! I wanna pick more than 5! Lol [biglaugha]

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rach
Advanced Member
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantasy is important for the imagination to grow. The most important part is distinguishing between what is real and what isn't.
Posts: 41 | From: NC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shala
Advanced Member
Member # 1675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chose Peter Pan, I do let my children watch it now. They love it..

Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz but only when they are older and we can discuss it...I think they are kinda scary myself.

Most of them I havent read or know because I dont like much fantasy stuff [Big Grin]

The Never Ending Story is scary though LOL

--------------------
~Shala~
Don't Make God #1 in your life...
Make God your life [Cross]

Posts: 44 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which fantasy books would you encourage your child to read?

*Note--I tried to pick out stories which would be most recognizable and which were otherworldly, contained diverse characters, and had a magical element. I left one slot open for "other", if you feel there is a book that I left out. But don't think I didn't think about stories such as "Pinocchio", "Raggedy Ann and Andy", "Wind in the Willows", "Dr. Doolittle", "Winnie the Pooh", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", or even "The Pilgrim's Progress". You can pick up to 5 choices.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement