Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Should Christians Vote?

Author Topic: Should Christians Vote?
WordSwordsman
Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WordSwordsman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me it is a no-brainer. Anyone that knows what America is about, what America was birthed of, why America is here, should know that what is good for America is good for the souls of men. We can't say that for most nations which trample souls. America is the land of the Christian, in the same way India, "Hindustan" is the land of the Hindu, though non-Hindus live there. Although not all Americans are truly Christians by their own admission, the Christians of America owe it to one another and to those in the dark to speak up for what is right. The primary way Americans do that is to vote. All Americans who have a right to vote should vote. How can a Christian decline if an American with that right? Paul was a Christian, yet retained his Hebrew distinctive, culture, a Jew of Jews as well as Roman citizen rights, whatever that included. He took full advantage of all his rights as born again child of God, Pharisee, Roman citizen. What scripture forbids? Being led of the Spirit, does not the Christian vote edify all Americans on behalf of God? I agree, it is part of our duty before God to speak His will on earth, taking part in shaping government which is given (ordained) by God according to Romans 13, who includes His children.

--------------------
In His Royal Service,
Jim Campbell

Posts: 2 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is our duty to vote. We see the direction the country is headed and we can either sit pat as it moves, or make an effort to stop it.

Let's say you are in heaven and God asks what you did while the nation moved farther and farther way from the Christian family way of life. I mean, just for the sake of the argument, let's say that actually happened.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Member # 1464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I vote. We may not be of this world but we do live in it and have to abide by many of it's rules. I vote in hopes that the best candidate (meaning the one with values closest to mine) will win the election. Why you ask, because they will the ones who vote on issues that Christian should care about, like legalization of drugs and abortion rights?

4Him- that was pretty weak reasoning behind that article.

becauseHeLives- Curious as to what denomination you are.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If being Christian, we vote, and the person we vote for then in turn fails to follow God in pricinciple, or in action... such as for example supporting abortion. The we technically put someone in office who does not the will of the Father. Will we be held accountable? I think we will, but in knowing that our God is a just God, we can also know that He will judge our heart, and our intention in voting, regardless of how the person we voted for pans out. He will look at what we tried to do to make an informed choice. He I think would expect us to make the best choice we could with what we are given. It is after all He who by His grace allowed us to be born in a country where the government is elected by the people.

In American, if we as a whole, being Christians refused to vote at all, then we would be handing the nation over to the enemy by our default.

In America, where we have the ability to pray and do our best to vote for the Godly man or woman in office, then we should do so.

This reminds me of the story of the tallents. Will you bury what God has given you out of fear of making the wrong choice and do nothing at all, or will use the gift that God has given you, trusting Him to guide you to make the most of it.

God has planted us in a wealthy nation, blessed with the ability to elect those who will spend the wealth of the nation. Will you in good stewardship to the Fahter who expects a return on His investment, bury your tallent in fear and complacency or will you take a risk and invest what God has trusted you with trusting Him empower you to make wise investment choices and to cause it to bring forth good fruit ?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kingdom of YEHWEH once belonged to Israel, it has been given to YESHUA because of HIS obedience and we are placed into HIS Kingdom at the time of our Salvation

MT 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Some Believers live in America,
Some in Israel
Some in Canada
Some in Australia
Some in China
Some in Africa
Some in Japan
And the list would go on and on

These are the kingdoms of this world that Satan spoke of when speaking to YESHUA in

LK 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

YESHUA’S answer

Not so, Satan. It is YEHWEH, not
you, that will bring down one kingdom, and exalted another: although
sometimes Satan, by YEHWEH’S permission, may occasionally bring about great
revolutions in the world.

JN 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

YESHUA’S Kingdom is not divided

MK 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

YEHWEH’S True Church is not divided

LK 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

ROM 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Voting is a thing after the flesh

Preaching the Kingdom things of the Spirit

HEB 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Leaders will come and Leaders will go as YEHWEH dictates,

Whether I vote or not is of little consequence

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4him
Community Member
Member # 808

Icon 13 posted      Profile for 4him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know Jeffrey, you should try getting that chip off your shoulder.
Posts: 8 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JefffreyLloyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 4him:
Here is my reason for not voting! What do you think?

To vote or not to vote.

I thght it was pretty weak.

Jeff

Vote, and vote Republican!

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, worlds without end. Amen.

Posts: 122 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4him
Community Member
Member # 808

Icon 4 posted      Profile for 4him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my reason for not voting! What do you think?

To vote or not to vote.

Posts: 8 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konnie
Community Member
Member # 1389

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Christians should vote. It is their moral duty to vote.

--------------------
NO Jesus, No Peace. Know Jesus, know peace.

Posts: 10 | From: Garber, Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlotte
Member # 1165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlotte   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christians should always vote. We know God's law and we should vote for people (like Bush) who are going to lead in a way that reflects God's law [Bible] . It disturbs me greatly to hear people say they don't bother voting but can't stand our government. [mad2] Get real! [Bang Head] We have to change what we don't like in DC! Just because we are Christians doesn't mean we should sit on our hands and do nothing, I think it means the opposite. Not that I have an opinion or anything [happy]

Thanks,
Charlotte

--------------------
Check out my website! God has blessed me with a way to stay at home with my kids!

Posts: 3 | From: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Relena Peace
Advanced Member
Member # 1350

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Relena Peace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I personally doesn't think it matters. Voting isn't a "Christian" thing or not. It's a human thing that everyone has a right to do. If you are an American citazen (sp) being a Christian shouldn't stop you from voting just as much as being black shouldn't stop you from voting. It's as simple as that. A human thing, if you're a citazen, you have every right to state you opinion and vote. [Big Grin]

--------------------
~Relena Peace

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catholicious:
Yes definitely, it is our moral responsibility to vote so that we can shape the future leadership of the world. It is our responsibility to cast our vote for those who represent good, Christian morals in protecting the sanctity of all life, who are not just anti-partial birth abortion but pro-life completely. In politics nowadays controlled by pagans, it is often hard to find the good Christian candidate so it is our moral responsibility as a Christian to choose the lesser of two evils.

Peace and May God Bless You!

Catholicious

My sentiments exactly. Of course, in Australia, voting is compulsory so I don't have a choice.

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Catholicious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes definitely, it is our moral responsibility to vote so that we can shape the future leadership of the world. It is our responsibility to cast our vote for those who represent good, Christian morals in protecting the sanctity of all life, who are not just anti-partial birth abortion but pro-life completely. In politics nowadays controlled by pagans, it is often hard to find the good Christian candidate so it is our moral responsibility as a Christian to choose the lesser of two evils.

Peace and May God Bless You!

Catholicious

--------------------
Acts 20:29-30 (NAB)
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.
30 And from your own group, men will come forward perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them.

1 Peter 3:15-16 (RSV)
15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Matthew 5:11 (KJV)
5 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Posts: 188 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancin4Him
Advanced Member
Member # 498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancin4Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Christians should vote, their still citizens and it is the citizen duty to vote. I know I will when I'm old enough.

--------------------
If your going through hell, just keep on walking.

MY QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"Some of you may die, but its a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

-Lord Farquaad, Shrek

Posts: 143 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4him
Community Member
Member # 808

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 4him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sodzei,

I can boil it all down to one verse if you prefer? And that verse is 2 Timothy 2:4. Or I can give it to you in a whole meal should you so desire. [thumbsup]

sodzei
Community Member
Member # 778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sodzei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know 4HIM, I was just kidding.

And I still don't understand why a Christian would not vote... thought I know many who don't... most of the time I think it's just laziness.

Vote Libertarian!

--------------------
"I dare you to move"
-Switchfoot

Posts: 10 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 21 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES [thumbsup] , Christians should vote -- AS LONG AS THEY VOTE REPUBLICAN . [Laugh]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For myself I have voted in every election for the last 30 years, this year. My very first vote was cast in the Nixon vs. McGovern election of 1972.

There are choices to be made. If we choose not to vote then we help to elect through our non-participation. If we help to elect a pro-abortion candidate, then we become culpable for the subsequent abortions. If we voted for Clinton, or did not vote for George Bush, in 1990, then we were culpable in his decision to veto the partial-birth abortion ban.

We have the right to have our opinions heard once every two years, and it is sad that so many choose to forfeit their rights.

An old quote and I do not remember who said it:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for men of good conscience to stand by and do nothing.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4him
Community Member
Member # 808

Icon 4 posted      Profile for 4him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably did not make myself clear. I mean voting in national or local, i.e. political, elections. I did not mean in polls such as this. Hope I didn't cause any confusion.

Frank.

sodzei
Community Member
Member # 778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sodzei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, ok, who voted "no" on this topic? You negated your vote by VOTING.

How could you possibly say that Christians should not vote?

--------------------
"I dare you to move"
-Switchfoot

Posts: 10 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4him
Community Member
Member # 808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite simple really. Should Christians vote?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 62 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement