Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Critical to U.S.

Author Topic: Critical to U.S.
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 10 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dancin4Him:
... but now, there's so much mudslinging, that you don't know any of the positive things that the candidates will do.

Don't let the mudslinging bother you. It would be a sad day in politics if everyone were overly kind and courteous to each other. It is definitely wrong when one candidate uses Personal insults to demean the other . But if the critisism is over policy , then let the Truth be told .
The "nice" guy , is not always the best guy.If you look and listen closely ,usually you will notice the only people whining about "negative" campaining , are the people who are LOSING ,( like the DEMOCRATS [boohoo.gif] [tears] !! LOL !! )
[Laugh] [Rolling]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancin4Him
Advanced Member
Member # 498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancin4Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait till I'm old enough to vote.

AhmaBeliever: Sadly, your right, most teenages don't know anything about politics, that's why I'm tring to learn more about politics before I'm old enough to vote, but now, there's so much mudslinging, that you don't know any of the positive things that the candidates will do.

--------------------
If your going through hell, just keep on walking.

MY QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"Some of you may die, but its a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

-Lord Farquaad, Shrek

Posts: 143 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Sadly Art if ya wanted to vote Democrat in South Dakota, it could probably count!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To AhmaBeliever;

The point was that as long as we were old enough to be cannon fodder in Vietnam we should be able to pick the ones sending us off to that cesspool.

The young have a limited worldview but I am not sure that the old are any wiser, just more experienced at ignorance. Many of the old voted for Gore.

God bless.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 9 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
... They had just lowered the voting age to 18, from 21...

What a sad day that was [uhoh] [boohoo.gif] . Most 18 year olds know as much about politics [Bang Head] as they know about raising children ,receding hairlines , arthritis etc... [Rolling]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[tears] [tears]

Heh,
I am canadian, so my vote won't count. [tears]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Sister Kindgo;

That was the way it was for me. They had just lowered the voting age to 18, from 21, and I had just turned 19. I had just gotten back from my pre-induction physical, the month before. My draft number was 48 and they were due to take the first 50 in February of '73, but Nixon stopped the draft in January. I voted for McGovern because of his anti-war campaign. I would not come to Christ for another 5 years.

I just did not support the war, and felt that other boys were being sacrificed for a cesspool with no clear agenda. I read about Milai, and I had a cousin in Marine Recon that had to backflip off a telephone pole when the bullets shattered the top. He came back for his Father's funeral, on the same flight that carried his best friend's casket. '69 was a summer of contrasts, for me. Neal Armstrong on the moon, and my cousin with his medals and my Uncle in the closed casket from a truck driving accident.

I still remember the nightly Vietnam report on CBS, with Uncle Walter. The desperate mass of humanity struggling at the Embassy gates in Saigon, the helicopters taking off from the roof, landing on the ships, and being shoved overboard. A friend of mine from high school was on duty in Saigon harbor, in '74. He had enlisted in the Navy to avoid the same draft that Nixon stopped.

Yuppers good old Watergate and Senator Sam grilling the guilty. Nixon steps up on camera and says I am not a crook, and the picture of him waving goodbye from Marine 1 for the last time. My first baby was still in diapers, and now she will be 29 next month, with 5 children.

The Beatle invasion on Ed Sullivan, the flag draped casket with the military guard, and John John saluting his Father. Martin and Bobby in '68. Kent State shooting of protestors by the National Guard. Woodstock and the wild flower power of Haight Ashbury.

It is so odd to see my children study the memories that we have lived. In some ways they seem like yesterday, and in others long ago and far away. I just give thanks that my awesome God redeemed me and the old man is now transformed into a new creation in Christ. May God have mercy upon our nation and help to elect leaders who will seek after righteousness.

God bless and forgive the meanderings of a silly old fool.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Drew, the first time I was old enough to vote was in the Nixon/McGovern election.

I voted for McGrovern and was disappointed when he lost.

I loved it when Nixon showed himself to be a crook, talk about stealing an election.... [hmm]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Thank you Barry, it was McGovern, an old age thingy [help]

It is a bit scary to realize that was 30 years ago [boohoo.gif]

Would that be considered a Big Mc attack?

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Sojourn I missed you poll yesterday.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 2 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Caretaker that was Nixon/McGovern...MacCarthy started the blackball list of movie stars etc, that he thought had communist ties.. [Smile]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Sojouner's post in Bible section I just now saw the poll. I vote in each election, and I search the hearts and records of the candidates. I think the first time I voted was the 1972 Nixon/McCarthy election, and I voted McCarthy [boohoo.gif]

I have never voted a straight ticket, because I many times voted democratic for the local candidate, such as this year our County Commisoner is democratic, and I feel he will represent us best being a neighbor. The govenors race pits Democrat Kathleen Sebelius versus Republican Tim Shallenberger with Sebelius taking money from the abortionist, Tiller the Killer in Wichita. Tim would seek legislation to end partial-birth abortion, and institute parental notification. Sebelius has outspent Shallenburger 3 mill. to 1 mill. and has the support of our "moderate Republican" newspapers. It is my prayer that Kansas might choose life, but am truly concerned that our state might be too far gone for redemption. Our current governor is pro-abortion "moderate Republican". I have come to despise the use of the word moderate, when in fact they quack like a liberal duck.

I would love to see a tremendous upset with Republicans taking back the Senate and gains in the House, and individual states. There was a tremendous pro-life add in last night's paper with a picture of Hitler and George Tiller, and a comparison with the founder of Germany's Holocaust, and the primary late term abortionist in the United States.

May God bless, and please forgive me as I am very political and extremly outspoken when it comes to the murder of the wee pre-borns.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Lost
Advanced Member
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please, please, please, PLEASE get out there and vote!!! it's important for us to use the powers God has given us to put the men and women in power that stand for God! if you want america to turn around then it has to start with you!

lost

--------------------
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. - Rev 22:17

Posts: 115 | From: Los Angeles/San Diego, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is our moral duty to vote tomorrow [thumbsup]

Voter Turnout Appears to be the Variable
Christians Being Urged to Defy Statistics Showing Extremely Low Interest in Voting
November 4, 2002

(AgapePress) - With just hours now before the polls open, both Republicans and Democrats agree that getting out the vote is now their biggest challenge.

A USA Today/Gallup poll shows a late shift seems to favor Republicans in the U.S. House races. But the picture is very different in the Senate. With a 49-49 split between Republicans and Democrats, plus one Independent, and late polling showing extremely tight races, getting out the vote has become all important.

USA Today reports the Democrats are relying heavily on help from big unions and African-American churches to encourage people to get to the polls. On the Republican side, President Bush has made getting out the vote a major theme at his campaign stops in recent days.

Sources say that in the 2000 election, only one in four Christians voted. That is why several pro-family groups, which tend to support Republicans, are urging their followers to make a special effort tomorrow to cast a ballot.

Just days before the election, Democratic Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle has sent a letter to members of NARAL, one of the leading abortion groups in the country, imploring them to get out and vote. Their track record shows they will.

But will Christians do the same? One pro-family group says Christians need to show the same kind of enthusiasm about the importance of voting. Ken Connor, president of the Family Research Council, feels strongly about the privilege Americans have to participate in the election process.

"Anyone who decides to opt out of this election and remain in their easy chair," he says, "has absolutely abrogated their responsibility, both as a Christian and as a citizen." [See Family News In Focus story.]

Last-Minute Factors
Indeed, voter turnout on Tuesday could be the deciding factor. Richard Lessner of American Renewal believes the outcome will be determined by those who are most successful in this off-year election, which he points out has been historically low.

"Whichever party is most successful in turning out its vote in this off-year election, whoever can get their people to the polls, whichever party has the more energized voters -- that could well make the difference," Lessner says.

Lessner says pro-family voters will be crucial to the outcome. In recent elections, they have been the demographic showing the greatest deviations in turnout.

Tony Nassif of the Politics and Faith Institute says that, according to scripture, every Christian votes -- even if they stay home. "They will vote by their ballot or by their silence," Nassif says. "If by silence, they withhold their moral values, thus giving greater weight to those which are in opposition."

Meanwhile, in the last hours before the polls open, both major parties would like to change the focus from a local level to a national. That is the opinion of Michael Schwartz, congressional liaison for Concerned Women for America.

"President Bush would like to nationalize it on some patriotic theme, such as the war on terrorism," he says. "I think that Senator Daschle and his colleagues would like to nationalize it on some theme saying the economy's in the tank and you've got to hand the control to government over to the Democrats."

Schwartz says neither party seems to be able to do that because the voters are looking at the elections individually, and not their impact on the makeup of Congress.
http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/11/42002a.asp

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of you out there who are U.S. citizens are planning to vote tomorrow, Nov. 5th, or have voted already by absentee? The fate of the nation could hang on this election.
Do you plan to vote or have you already?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 21 user(s) have voted.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement