Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » How Often Do You Publically Preach?

Author Topic: How Often Do You Publically Preach?
Nineveh
Advanced Member
Member # 537

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nineveh   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The definition of "preach" is not "others look[ing] to a Christian to see how he/she acts.".

Definition of "preach" in dictionary:

1. transitive and intransitive verb give sermon: to give a talk on a religious or moral subject, especially in church

2. intransitive verb give advice in irritating way: to give people advice on their morals or behavior in an irritatingly tedious or overbearing way

3. transitive verb urge people to accept something: to make an opinion or attitude known to others and urge others to share it

Everyone knows darn well what "preach" means. If you asked your average run-of-the-mill person what it meant, he'd certainly acknowledge that it involved words, many words (talking).

quote:
Originally posted by Amber:
I think that a person should be able to tell who you are following by seeing your actions. Maybe they need to watch for a while, but Jesus did say to let your light shine before men, so they can see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

What about the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, or other cults? They look pretty darn Christian to me (by their actions). Most of these cult members do far better than other "christians". The unbelievers get very confused with this, they associate real Christians with the fake ones (wolves under sheep skins). That is why a real Christian will create the distinction simply by telling them!

The good works Jesus wanted us to shine forth are to backup what we say; just as disscused in James.

Jesus also said, "Everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10:32-33

Not to sound purposefully condencending, but this stuff is serious, this stuff is real. Satan is hard at work preventing the Gospel from being adaquately told from the lips of Christians.

--------------------
InformationGospel.net

Posts: 23 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nineveh
Advanced Member
Member # 537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nineveh   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Two questions:

You said with your mouth... Does your typing finger count? [Laugh]

Also, May I ask why you chose Ninevah as a handle?

I would say typing doesn't count, simply because it's not public or in front of people. Thanks for the inquiry.

I chose "Nineveh" as a result of the book of Jonah. I always find it to be quite glorious to God that the whole city of Nineveh repented at the words of Jonah.

--------------------
InformationGospel.net

Posts: 23 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amber
Advanced Member
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do understand that the average person watching a Christian will see hypocracy. That is not what I was trying to say. Well, maybe it was, to an extent.

I DO beleive that I preach every time I can, like, praying with someone when they say they have a problem, and any time I feel that something should be said, I say it, if I happen to think of it at the right time. That is one of my problems, not thinking all the time.

There is a difference between actively preaching and letting others see your works.

And I think that a person should be able to tell who you are following by seeing your actions. Maybe they need to watch for a while, but Jesus did say to let your light shine before men, so they can see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

--------------------
But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Posts: 71 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two questions:

You said with your mouth... Does your typing finger count? [Laugh]

Also, May I ask why you chose Ninevah as a handle?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nineveh
Advanced Member
Member # 537

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nineveh   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just wanted to express that I feel that every Christian preaches everyday, because others look to a Christian to see how he/she acts. I make a point to be 'preaching' so that I know I am a good example. Everything you do preaches the world, or Christ.
RESPONSE: The question however is in regards to verbally telling someone the gospel with the use of one's mouth. A person can't tell what god you follow simply by watching your actions, you must tell them. Furthermore, there are alot of people going to hell who don't get the pleasure of watching a self-righteous "christian" show them just how good they are. Usually what the wicked see in a "christian" is hypocricy; and they are usually right.

How will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? How will they preach unless they are sent?

Preach the word; be ready in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

--------------------
InformationGospel.net

Amber
Advanced Member
Member # 41

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Amber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to express that I feel that every Christian preaches everyday, because others look to a Christian to see how he/she acts. I make a point to be 'preaching' so that I know I am a good example. Everything you do preaches the world, or Christ.

--------------------
But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Posts: 71 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Nineveh,

Good topic! Welcome to the board if I haven't said that already.... [spiny] Its nice to have you here with us.

I said daily [Smile]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nineveh
Advanced Member
Member # 537

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nineveh   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often do you publically preach/proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

i.e. street preaching

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
InformationGospel.net

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement