Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Prayer   » Praise Reports &Testimonies   » I am enlighhtened

Author Topic: I am enlighhtened
Pastor Mike
Advanced Member
Member # 2142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pastor Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the explanation you have written, I believe you have missed the main point of Christianity. You have mentioned "ego" when you talk about the various religions. I sense that this may also be akin to the word "self." From the definition I understand, "ego" or "self" is that part of us that looks to our own interests, over and above the interests of others and of God. When self centered, we seek to preserve ourselves rather than look to the interests of others.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that you are saying that the various religions of the world say that we have to give up "self" in order to seek the things of God. When we do that, you are calling it faith. The whole point behind Christianity is that we as people are unable to give up "self" as our primary motivation. No matter how we try, we in and of ourselves are unable to give up self in order to seek the things of God. If we seek to do the things of God (or get to that perfect place with God) by the things we do (even if we call it faith), we are attempting to do it in order to preserve "self". It is simply impossible for us to seek God by ourselves. Rather, it takes an action of God on our behalf in order to be right with him. Look at Ephesians 2:8-9--"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." It is only God working within us that saves us. We can't claim any credit for our salvation--God has done it all. And He gave it to us as a free gift so that we are not saved by our works, even if we say that we have accepted Christ. Rather, it is God's Word working within us that creates faith. Everything that follows after that is simply a response to God working within us. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

Now you might say this is philosophy, and I suppose it is a kind of philosophy--but that doesn't make it untrue. I am not aware of any philosophy that says we can't reach out to God. Correct me if I am wrong. But that is what Christianity says. Paul in Romans 7 says, "for the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want." This is from a man who wrote most of the books of the New Testament.

To sum up, we can't do the things that are pleasing to God except that God Himself is alive and active within us. That is what Jesus was talking about. Is there any other religion that says God lives within us?

Finally, the Bible tells us that God chooses to work through those who are weak and despised, not the powerful and influential. That does not mean that God may not bring one of His followers into positions that can influence. What it does say is that God chooses to work within those who will depend on Him rather than in those who are wise and full of understanding by their own judgment.

You may not buy all that I have said here, but it is what I believe by all that I have read in the Bible. If you can show me any religion that says the same thing, let me know so that I can look at it and determine for myself whether it is in accord with my beliefs. Thank you for listening to my thoughts.

Posts: 55 | From: Staunton, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
promises
Advanced Member
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for promises     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you assume that no one else has studied the other faiths? Wrong.

Do you assume that you are the only one who has read the complete works of Joseph Campbell's? Wrong.

Do you assume that people from all over the world who have left Islam, Hindu, Buddism, etal. to embrace Christ are miserable and resentful of it? Wrong.

Do you think Christianity is an American thing? Wrong.

Are you are aware that the vast majority of Christians in this world live in abject poverty under the most severe persecution of any other faith group on the planet? Obviously not.

You say, "Buddha was a philospher, so was Jesus. Both were compassionate caring men who wanted to enlighten their public and both conquered death. So saying that one is truth and the other is not is awfully reightous."

Jesus Himself taught that He was God. Jesus Himself taught that God's mercy could only be received through the salvation that He alone offered. Jesus Himself taught that He was the one, the only way to eternal life. He was no simple human philosopher. He never claimed that His purpose was to "enlighten" us. He claimed His purpose was to snatch us from the flames of hell.
Buddha's remains are nothing more than dust today; Jesus Christ sits at the right hand of God. Who is really enlightened?

You're searching for happiness in THIS world, and it looks like you've found it, for however long it lasts. I'd really hate to see you "enlightened" as to what happens after our brief time on this world is over too late.

"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all. (Eph 1:18-23)

--------------------
His Alone

Posts: 144 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aoecean
Member # 2219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aoecean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following which I am writing is to have you consider other peoples believes and practices.

Have any of you ever studied any of the world's religions without having an ethnocentric view? You all sound very reightous. Many of you think I am lost because I have an open ended view on faith. I believe in God, and I don't attempt to live of a life of sin. I believe that Jesus was an incarnate of God. Jesus is however one of many on the list of saviors. By that logic, so is Mahatma Ghandi, Ankhenaten, Stephen Hawking.

The idea of Eastern religions(this includes Islam) is far from idol worship as the western view is. The idea with Hinduism is this...Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu..These are all merely faces of God. Vishnu reincarnates himself 10 times as 10 avatars or Messiahs...Sound familar? God did the same thing in the Bible.
Eastern religions commonly believe that God is manifested in everything, biotic and abiotic. So it dosen't matter what your image of God is, as long as you let go of your ego. Every atom is God. God is watching over creation, because he is creation.
However, one must remember that religion is political, the creation of one dogma in one region may not work in another. This is why Eastern religions differ from the west.

Mohammad and Krishna are perfect examples of this, the east has and always will be a land of high population, war, and poverty. Krishna and Mohammad's views as warlords were perfect for this region. When Arjuna was on the battlefield and saw people he knew, he broke down and Krishna told him, "They are of God, but they are illusion". The Hindu view of religion sees the world as being illusion and your perception of the world as that determines how you will be. That and Islam talk about disposing of your ego and living content in God. Yet, witnessing "pagan" people...Is this not ego based?

But I think when it comes to Christians attempting to convert the Pagans, it is highly ego based. I could form my own religion and convince people I am God, like 18th dynasty Pharoah Ankhenaten did. Ankhenaten claimed that anyone who didn't worship Aten-Re was an infidel. You think converting people of Buddha, Hindu, Islam, and any other religion will get you into Heaven? You do good deeds selflessly with no reward.

I know many of you will say "well in India/middle east" the people are suffering. But so are we, except in America the suffering is in our constant lust over material possessions. I am an American, I like material possessions. But look at what we've became. We've lost our connection to nature because we want an SUV or whatever. In addition to further our suffering, we are also ignorant. The only people who will save the third world countries are themselves. But maybe their content with the ways things are.

Constrasting the characters of Buddha and Jesus, we can see similarities. Buddha was a philospher, so was Jesus. Both were compassionate caring men who wanted to enlighten their public and both conquered death. So saying that one is truth and the other is not is awfully reightous.

Another thing Krishna said was that "They make speak of loving God, but they are just saying this." How many of you believers in Christ are in the upper percentile of society? I notice that a large number of the awakenings that occur are in suburban areas. In essence, Christianity has became a status symbol. Name one Islamic American politician, hey name a Hindi politician.

Christianity has became the symbol of normalized America. A lady who was a grifter once told me, "I am a Christian" after I had given her 3$ because she asked. She then said, "But I am Christian and can I have more money?". I had given what I could to her, yet she wanted to steal more from me- Very un Christian like. All of the politicians we have elected are Christians.
Politicians who care not for your faith, but merely to finance their large businessmen egos.

I am from Hayward, Ca and I grew up in a large Hindu/Muslim community in Fremont. Most of the people around me are the union lower middle class. I don't march in anti-war protests. Many of you may quickly label me a Bohemian punk kid, but most of you are from suburban middle American.

Last year, after much depression. I became a reborn Christian, I almost got thrown out of my church youth group for mentioning evolution. But I found that the corruption of the very world I was trying to escape still existed in the church. I never judged the people I was around, yet with the exception of one judged me. Truthfully, now that I see that all paths lead to God, I am happier.

Be in mind I am not one of these new age wiccan occultists. I've studied all religions. My main influence in writing this was Joseph Campbell, who wrote "The Power of Myth". My role here today is an observer, I am not trying to convert you to the following religions. I know all of you are happy in your faith, and I respect that. But you must respect others faith, when my friends of Hinduism and whatever talk about Christians we don't bad mouth you as you are seeking God in another way. Your view in God isn't wrong, in fact it is right. But to say someone else's view in God regardless of your convictions is against everything Christ stood for. Christ respected people of all religions, as you ALL WORSHIPPING THE SAME CONSTRUCT OF GOD.

If any of you have further questions, IM me as Aoecean Glyvxx.

Posts: 2 | From: Lingal shafts/Labias Vulvax | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pastor Mike
Advanced Member
Member # 2142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pastor Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to ask a question to you sir----"Who is it that enlightened you?" Thank you for your answer.
Posts: 55 | From: Staunton, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since only The God of Abraham can raise that which is dead and He would not raise your old man, I would assert that you were never a born again Christian. You may think you are enlightened by your knowledge of the pagan eastern religions but you are blind.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Here is Light I pray that you would see it...

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word states that: "even the demons" believe" and tremble" speaking of believing in one God.

Also the word states that coming to God in any other way is like a thief and a robber...
for there is only one way. Yahshua [Jesus] the Messiah, the Christ!

So to embrace any other way is sure destruction..

Let us be careful there is only ONE way.. Yahshua [Jesus] stated that HE was the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE>>>> and besides HIM there is NO other..
amen

Hope this helps.. [Smile]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinsGranny
Advanced Member
Member # 2137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinsGranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Promise, I must say as a reborn Christian I do agree with you and must say a resounding 'AMEN'....my hope is that those who are fellow Christians can be blessed by the posts they read and that God will talk to each of us through the Holy Spirit as we struggle to do His will!! I stand with you, a sister in Christ.

In His will and service I will always strive to serve the Heavenly Father!

Amen

Posts: 218 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
promises
Advanced Member
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for promises     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, God CAN be reached in many different ways. Problem is, how is He going to feel about you once you meet up with Him?

--------------------
His Alone

Posts: 144 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aoecean
Member # 2219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aoecean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Former reborn Christian who has studied the ways of Krishna, Muhummad, Nanak, the Vedas, the Upanishads, Buddha...

God is everything...He can be reached in many different ways.

Posts: 2 | From: Lingal shafts/Labias Vulvax | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement