Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The border

Author Topic: The border
Hashe
Advanced Member
Member # 11273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hashe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The essenes are one source of information.
But it is a bit like saying, you should read the SDA writings to understand Christianity today. They were just one amongst many groups. In fact they were a rather small and extreme group.

Posts: 23 | From: South Africa | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hashe:

This would have been confusing for the Jews of Jesus’ day who were looking for a physical kingdom. They were looking for a physical kingdom.

No they were looking for a Conquering King.

Why did the Jews expect a conquering rather than a spirital Messiah?

Question:
I am currently working on an informative lesson for an adult Sunday school class regarding Jewish ideas about the Messiah prior to Jesus’ birth. I am curious if there are non-biblical writings or prophecies that give us an idea of what the Jews were expecting in the Messiah? Or perhaps you could explain why the Jews were expecting a conqueror rather than a spiritual savior?

Answer:
Probably the best source for Jewish ideas of the Messiah is the writings of the Essene sect, found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Essenes seemed to have two separate Messiah figures/ideas–a suffering servant and a conquering king. They tended to focus on the priestly nature of the Messiah. This may reflect their rejection of the priesthood in Jerusalem as corrupt.

The New Testament, of course, reveals the Jewish messianic expectation that the apostles, and, presumably the biggest number of common Jews had, which is for a conquering Son of David. Like Peter said, "Are you now going to restore the kingdom" (Acts 1:6). Here, even at the end, the apostles were still expecting Jesus to restore political power to the Jews. Clearly, Judas expected Jesus to be a conquering king.

He hoped to manipulate Jesus into rebelling against Rome when he had him arrested. There were a number of Jewish expectations of the Messiah, as there are different interpretations of the actual Messiah, Jesus, today! I am no expert, and you may want to do some of your own research, but the way I undertand it the most common Jewish expectation for the Messiah was as a "Son of David", to come as a conquering Messiah, restoring the political fortunes of the Jews. Ezekiel 37:24-25 is one of many messianic passages which calls the Messiah the Son of David.

It should not be surprising to us that the Jews had this expectation. Many OT passages clearly depict a victorious Son of David. The problem is that these Jews failed to notice the Messianic prophecies which presented a Messiah not to their liking. The Essenes did have a concept of a suffering servant (Isaiah 53), but it seems that the Jews, in general, did not tend to pay nearly as much attention to this role of the Messiah. This should not surprise us, as this is human nature. Humans want their heroes to conquer and to offer great things to the people, not to suffer and die.

Jesus, of course, as the Messiah, is suffering servant, prophet, priest and king. Passages in the Old Testament revealing all of these natures for the Messiah can be shown. In one place or another, the Jews had all of these expectations, depending on which messianic prophecy they focused in on, and, of course, on their own personal prejudices.

It is not hard to see, and I am sure you already noticed it, that as the Jews treated their Messiah, so Christians treat Jesus today. Many make him into a cosmic bellhop–delivering blessings and solving all problems. Theirs is the Jesus of name-it-and-claim-it: the prosperity gospel. Others who have strong convictions about social justice make a Jesus to their liking. Still others, premillenialists, have him coming back to be the head of a revived Jewish Kingdom at the end of time. The lesson for us is that we, too, are tempted to form the Messiah in our own image. Let us see clearly Jesus in a balanced, biblical way.
John Oakes
https://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/why-did-the-jews-expect-a-conquering-rather-than-a-spirital-messiah/

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hashe
Advanced Member
Member # 11273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hashe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once drove with my family between Zambia and Namibia. We didn’t really know the area very well and we accidentally left the country and entering ‘no man’s land’ before getting our passports stamped. So we had to go back into Zambia, get stamped out and then leave again for Namibia. The border wasn’t very clearly defined.

In both Mark’s and Matthew’s gospels, when Jesus starts his public ministry he preaches that the Kingdom of God is ‘at hand’, or ‘has drawn near’. It wasn’t far off. It was right there. Where Jesus was, the kingdom of God was right there.

This would have been confusing for the Jews of Jesus’ day who were looking for a physical kingdom. They were looking for a physical kingdom. Jesus was preaching about another kind of kingdom. In their understanding the borders of the kingdom were poorly defined and Jesus was starting the process of correcting that definition.

In fact, Jesus was in the kingdom. Theologians tell us that the kingdom of God is God’s people under God’s rule. And Jesus was certainly God’s person under God’s rule. So where ever Jesus went, the kingdom was right there.

The way to cross the border was through both repentance and accepting Jesus. We see something of this in Jesus’ teaching on casting our demons. Jesus says, ‘if I cast out demons by the power of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you’. In other words, if you accept the work of Jesus and move from the power and influence of the devil to the power and influence of God then you have entered the kingdom.

This line of though leaves me thinking how much power and influence I give to God in my life. I surely want to be a part of the kingdom of God. Where is the border and how does it work? Is it a proportional thing? Am I as much in the kingdom as I give power and influence to God in my life? How much am I committed to being in this kingdom and giving influence in my life?

Posts: 23 | From: South Africa | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement