Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What happens when we die

Author Topic: What happens when we die
walkbyfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 10538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkbyfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing we can know for sure though is when we die it doesn't matter what happens as long as we have peace in Christ. For In Christ we have no need to fear death. Like Paul for me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Posts: 80 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkbyfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 10538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkbyfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Hades and Paradise being temporary residence of the soul until Christ judgment. I believe there is much proof in scripture to this. For one we know when Jesus was crucified and died he went and preached to the souls in prison. If this prison was eternal as Hell he could not of saved anyone form condemnation. He was saving souls that never got the chance to believe in him for Christ had not been crucified yet. Then those who would hear him as we get the chance too, would span that gap to be brought to paradise through faith, and the blood of Christ.
Also in Revelations 20:14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire this is the second death.
This second death is eternal read Revelations 20:10. Here is eternal separation from God and torment of souls. The devil and the false prophet are cast into this lake of fire along with all those who serve him through their works.(Revelations 20:13) If Hades were an eternal place there would be no need to throw it into the lake of fire. Hell is that lake of fire.
Now lets talk about the New Heaven and the New Earth. Like it was said before Jesus said I go prepare a place for you. He also said in this verse John 14 that in his Fathers house were many Mansions. Now Jesus said the Earth was God's footstool and Heaven was his throne. Would our eternal home to forever be with the Lord be on a second Earth or with God in Heaven?
Jesus was asked about marriage in Heaven and he responded you do not understand, but you shall be as the angels in Heaven. Does this mean that we shall be the angels to this new Earth? One can only guess all that God has prepared for those who love him.
What about this verse Revelations 21:7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be my son
If we inherit all things wont Heaven also be part of our inheritance in the family of God. Jesus calls us brothers. There is no reason for scriptures to reveal the beauty of Heaven and the pearl gates and the streets of gold without us partaking of it. God said it many places in scripture encourage each other with this hope. The hope of Heaven don't allow anyone to rob you of this. We shall be united with God where there shall be no more tears, and no need for the sun for God will be our light, and no more sin and sorrow.

Posts: 80 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do you do with Rev. 20 & 21 Carol?

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The redeemed go to Heaven when we die. After the resurrection of the saints and the Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1 Corinthians 15:50-54 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17), and after the Marriage Supper of the Lamb, the saints return to Earth with Christ in glorified bodies.

The Hadean Realm

http://thechristianbbs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006987#000000

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heaven is God's domain where the records and rewards are kept. We do not go to heaven. A reading of Rev. 20 & 21 will show you our eternal home is the New Earth. When a Believer dies they go to Paradise (remember the thief on the cross?) to be with the Lord and await the Judgments. Many Christians believe that because Jesus went to sit at the right hand of God when He was resurrected that He never moves from that spot and therefore we go to Heaven when we die. That is not correct. Jesus also said "I go to prepare a place for you." So our Lord is busy doing that NOT just sitting next to God.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkbyfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 10538

Icon 16 posted      Profile for walkbyfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic isn't completely settled in my mind. I would be interested in all your views. The topic is on what happens when a Christian dies. Do they go to Heaven immediately, or sleep until Christ returns? Are near death experiences proof of instant reward or punishment? or Are they just God giving people a taste of their future for encouragement sake?

Now I'll share scripture that could point to each of these. First I will start with scripture that may point to us going directly to Heaven or Hell when we die.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then the dust will return to the Earth as it was, and the Spirit will return to God who gave it.
Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him,"Assuredly I say unto you today you will be with me in paradise." Talking to the thief who was on the cross beside him.
This next verse I don't like using in this because if you read 2 Corinthians 4:16-5:10 serving God through the Holy Spirit can make us to be present with the Lord. Which is the inner man our spirit connecting with God. For when we serve the Spirit rather than our flesh we are not at home in our bodies, but here it is
2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
Then there is the transfiguration which leads you to ask if Moses died why does he appear with Jesus? The only thing is Jesus says don't tell the VISION to anyone.
Matthew 17:2-9
Then in Luke Jesus gives a parable of sorts about a rich man and poor man. The poor man is in Hades and the rich man is in Abraham's bosom. Abraham's bosom was where scripture said men waited in, the bosom of faith. Yet if the parable is true to form men go to Hades, which isn't Hell but a temporary residence of the soul to await judgment.(Some say Hades is Hell) Until Christ died and we know he preached to the souls in this prison. When he rose to Heaven though men's souls now rest with Christ, at least those souls that accepted him. Is this paradise peaceful rest in Christ until he returns, or instant travel to Heaven?
Luke 16:19-31
Another verse that brings up this topic is when John the Baptist gets sick and dies. Jesus says he sleeps.(John 11:11) Yet when Martha says if you would of been here he wouldn't of died. Jesus a few verses later says," I am the Resurrection and the life. Does that lead you to believe when he return to his throne in Heaven he brought those who slept with him?
Now lets flip the coin and see the other side. There are many scriptures that lead you to believe the soul is just at rest until Christ returns for judgment.
The most common for this argument probably
1 Thessalonians 4:16 and 17 For the Lord Himself will descend from Heaven with a shout. With the voice of an archangel, and the trumpet of God. Then the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we shall always be with the Lord.
Why do the dead have to rise? If they were already in Heaven there would be no need to rise.
John 5:28 and 29 paraphrased The dead shall come out of their graves at the sound of the Lords voice. Those that have done good to the resurrection of life. Those that have done evil to the resurrection of condemnation.
This verse I don't like using for this side because it may only apply to those who died before Christ did.
John 3:13 No man hath ascended to heaven but He who came down from Heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in Heaven.
1 Corinthians 15:51 and 52 Behold I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep but we all shall be changed- in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be Raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
These last 3 tie together and set my mind to this view.
1 Corinthians 15:20-23 Now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order. Christ the first fruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His COMING.
Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in Heaven an which are on earth-in Him.
1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to his abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled that does not fade away, Reserved in Heaven for you. Who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
All these references to a time leads me to believe he has set a time to judge all men. To give them reward as his sheep, or to cast them aside as goats who never knew him.
For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement