Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » THE BIBLE AND ITS AUTHOR

Author Topic: THE BIBLE AND ITS AUTHOR
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
quote:
Originally posted by John Hale:
Sorry.

I stayed up late last night typing here.

Slow typist.

[wiggle7]

LOL thanX for your time in instructing the Babes and the carnal.

[cool_shades]

Do tell, WildB, how non-babe and non-carnal are you?

Allow me to show you just how you sound just like the Pharisee in...

Luke 18:10-14 (KJV)
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Hale:
Sorry.

Slow typist.

[wiggle7]

LOL thanX for your time in instructing the Babes and the carnal.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Sorry.

Slow typist.

[wiggle7]

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry we were not aloud 2 sleep on watch.

Wake up John, wake up.

Not all are as you with your abilities.

I forward what I know 2 be "Point on" cause Im a 10th grade drop out trained under much different conditions than u.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thus we believe and rejoice in the glorious revelation of our position in Christ in the heavenlies, though we are only beginning to understand this precious "mystery." Thus, too, we rejoice in "the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge" (Eph. 3:19) and "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding" (Phil. 4:7).

Oh no, this is not boring! This is not something to sleep through! This is something to REJOICE over! Forever!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

zzzzz
zzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzz

hm, what?

same old thing...

yawn

zzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzz

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jesus Loves Us So"
By Cornelius R. Stam

There is much in the Holy Scriptures that the best and wisest among us do not yet understand. In fact, the best and wisest of us have only begun to grasp the truths contained in that blessed Book.

Among these, bless God! are those which we cannot understand because they are too wonderful for us mortals to comprehend.

It was concerning such truths that David exclaimed:

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain unto it" (Psa. 139:6).

Far more has been revealed to us than David ever dreamed of, and we have graciously been given divine help to understand truths then unknown. But still God has kept far ahead of us with His revelations of blessing, and there are precious passages, especially in the Pauline epistles, which we will never fully grasp in this life, simply because they are "too wonderful" and "high" for us to fully comprehend. We can believe them, however, and rejoice in them.

Thus we believe and rejoice in the glorious revelation of our position in Christ in the heavenlies, though we are only beginning to understand this precious "mystery." Thus, too, we rejoice in "the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge" (Eph. 3:19) and "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding" (Phil. 4:7).

One such passage which has always gripped this writer, yet has left him ever again overcome with wonder, is II Corinthians 5:21:

"For He [God] hath made Him [Christ] to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."

Again and again, as the writer has pondered over this verse, he has responded: "Can it be! He made sin that I might be made, not merely righteous, but `the righteousness of God in Him'! Lord, I cannot take this in. It is too wonderful for this poor sinful heart to fully grasp. Yet I do believe it and rejoice over it `with joy unspeakable and full of glory.'"

But there is another kind of passage which in another way is equally hard, for this writer at least, to grasp in its fulness. One example of this kind of passage is Ephesians 4:30:

"And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

Again I ask: "Can it be! GOD grieved!" How it can be that eternal and almighty God can be grieved over anything that I, a poor speck of sinful dust, might do, is more than I can grasp. It overwhelms me that He is so deeply concerned about me.

Yet I know that it is so, for as far back as Genesis 6:5,6 I read a striking statement about our sovereign God:

"And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

"And it repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart."

If, then, a sovereign God was grieved over the wickedness of the ante-deluvian race, how He must be grieved when I, His son in Christ, fail Him!

While as yet we are unable to comprehend all this, such passages as Ephesians 4:30 can bring us untold blessing if we simply believe them.

Surely this passage teaches us that God loves us deeply. Indeed, He has scarcely besought us not to grieve His Holy Spirit when, almost in the same breath, He assures us that the Holy Spirit has sealed and does seal us unto the day of redemption.

And is not this the reason for the exhortation? He says, as it were: "Do not grieve the Spirit, who loves you; who loves you so that regardless of your faithfulness or failure He continues to keep you safe in His care."

It is well that so many children's songs emphasize the fact that Jesus loves them, for it is this that is most apt to draw from them a response of faith and love while they are still young.

Perhaps the greatest hymn ever written was that wonderful children's hymn:

"Jesus loves me, this I know,
For the Bible tells me so."

We, their elders who have come to know the Lord Jesus Christ, should sing these words with greater joy and deeper gratitude than they. There it is again! Let us not grieve Him—for He loves us so.

--------------------
That is all.....

John Hale
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
John John John.

Please explain this verse in your "Spiritiual Israel" way.

Psalms 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

[cool_shades]

Simple. Until Christ died on the cross the New Testament was not in effect (Hebrews 9). Those who died in belief did not go to heaven until after his sacrifice made it possible for them to (Luke 16:19-31) / Ephesians 4:8-10). Neither was the Holy Spirit indwelling the believers (John 14:17).

Now, are you going to go on record, WildB, as one who opposes the scriptures in Hebrews 11:4ff which clearly state that the body of faith includes a long list of OT saints and were not of the assembly / ekklesia / as is our great cloud of OT witnesses (Hebrews 12:1)?

And the distinction that the Apostle Paul (not JohnHale) makes between them and unbelievers:

Romans 9:6 (KJV)
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Is that what you are willing to do, WildB?

WildB
Member # 2917

John John John.

Please explain this verse in your "Spiritiual Israel" way.

Psalms 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

John Hale
unregistered

1 Corinthians 3:16-21 (NIV)
16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a “fool” so that he may become wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”;
20 and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”
21 So then, no more boasting about men! All things are yours,

How well do we know this closest of persons of the Godhead living in us?

John Hale
unregistered

2 Peter 1:20-21 (NIV)
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation.
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

The Author if the Bible is the Holy Spirit.

Just how well do we know this humble individual in the Godhead? I mean the prophecies about him are mostly with out name... since he is the author, he does not blow his own horn... and is charged to reveal God, his plan, and his salvation personified to humanity.

John 16:13 (NIV)
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

John 14:26 (NIV)
26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 15:26 (NIV)
26 “When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Galatians 5:6

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

Back on the shelf she placed the book with a sigh. It was too dull and uninteresting to wade through. She didn't feel like reading anyway; in fact, she was utterly bored, and didn't feel like doing anything.

The next night was different -- very different. At a party she had met the kind of man she could really go for. He seemed interested in her too, and in the weeks that followed they saw more and more of each other, until she was sure she loved him.

One night he mentioned something about a book he had written, and somehow the title rang a bell with her. Where had she seen it? It bothered her that she couldn't remember. When she reached home, however, it dawned on her all of a sudden. This was the book she had found so boring. She hadn't even noticed the name of the author.

Taking the book down from the shelf again, she began reading. As she read page after page, she asked herself: "Why did I think this book was dry? Say, this is some book! I had no idea he could write -- and so well!" And thus, avidly, she continued reading far into the night.

Yes, it makes a great deal of difference if you know the Author -- and especially if you love him! How many believers in Christ there are whose most precious hours are spent in reading and studying the Bible -- a Book which once seemed dull and uninteresting to them! The reason? They have come to know and love the Author!

Our Lord said: "This is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent" (John 17:3). But how do we obtain the "life eternal" with which this knowledge is bound up? Our Lord said: "He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47). Salvation is, after all, a love story to be believed, and by which we come to know Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement