Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Did Jesus Preach the Cross for Salvation?

Author Topic: Did Jesus Preach the Cross for Salvation?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had some fun with my Historical Jesus course last night, asking my students (who had just finished reading Mark) to answer the following question: What exactly did Jesus preach?

Eventually, one enterprising student rightly called attention to Mark 1:14–15,

After John had been handed over, Jesus went into Galilee, preaching the gospel ["good news"] of God, saying, “The time has been fulfilled and the Kingdom of God is at hand—repent and believe in the good news!”

Naturally, I asked the next question: “So what is this gospel, this “good news,” that he is preaching?”

Silence.

“So I’m guessing that most of you think of the gospel message as something like this: ‘You’re dirty rotten sinners. But fortunately for you, Jesus died on the cross for your sins and then rose from the dead, so you can be forgiven. Just believe in Jesus and ask him into your heart, and you can have eternal life (in heaven).’ (Nodding.) But that doesn’t make much sense here, does it? It’s kind of hard to envision Jesus walking around at this point preaching, ‘I died on the cross and rose again for your sins,’ isn’t it? So the gospel that Jesus is preaching must be something else, right? And what’s that ‘The time has been fulfilled’ doing there? What time? Why does it need to be fulfilled? And this ‘Kingdom of God’ thing—what’s that? Aren’t these things important, if we’re going to understand what Jesus was all about?”

This is a (perhaps the) fundamental question to ask when reading the gospels, but so many of us just easily gloss over words we think we know. So when many of us read, “Jesus preached the gospel of God,” we unconsciously read the word “gospel,” as though it meant “Jesus died so that our sins could be forgiven,” since that is what we assume “gospel” means. Of course, once we think about it, we’ll realize that reading it that way makes no sense at all in that context. This is part of a critical tearing-down process necessary for anyone wanting to learn to read the Bible well—so much has to be unlearned before anything can be learned at all! The first target are these nice terms that we assume we know.

I suggested to my class that they start looking through the Hebrew Bible, especially the prophets, for terms like “good news,” and try to figure out these other terms in a similar way—after all, Mark seems to assume that the reader will understand these terms, which were already in use long before the gospel writer picked up his pen (or Jesus himself began to preach). It’s a worthwhile assignment for anyone who wants to get a better picture of Jesus.

http://www.jasonstaples.com/blog/2010/what-did-jesus-preach-881

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Justin Johnson just is not digging deep enough in scripture...
quote:
We would search in vain for a clear presentation of the preaching of the cross in the ministry of Jesus and the disciples in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.
please listen to

http://hereiblog.com/did-jesus-preach-paul%E2%80%99s-gospel/

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By Justin Johnson
Paul explains the preaching of the cross as it was given to him by Christ:

“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” – 1 Cor 1:17-18
Although we now know that the redemptive work of Christ’s death and resurrection is the crux of our message of salvation for today, we must be careful not to read into Jesus’ ministry what is not there.

We would search in vain for a clear presentation of the preaching of the cross in the ministry of Jesus and the disciples in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

Gospel of the kingdom

Jesus did not preach his redemptive work on the cross for salvation during his ministry on earth. Instead, Jesus taught the gospel of the coming kingdom (Mark 1:14-15).

This gospel consisted of repentance from sin, doing the commandments, and seeking first the kingdom (Matt 5:19, 6:33). Although these ideas are commonly recognized as good and Biblical ideas, but none of them include faith in the redemptive work of Christ on the cross.

It was the specific message of the gospel of the kingdom that Jesus limited his ministry:

“And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. “ – Matthew 4:23
Jesus even taught the disciples the same gospel of the kingdom and told them to tell others prepare for its coming. As a sign of its imminence, he gave them power to heal the sick:

“Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick. “ – Luke 9:1-2
The first mention of the cross

When Peter revealed Jesus as the Christ, Jesus told how he would give him the keys of the kingdom. Having spent months teaching and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, Peter would be one of the most qualified for this leadership position.

However, it was not until that day that Jesus first spoke about his death, and it was a private teaching.

“From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. “ – Matthew 16:21
Even more interesting, the same Peter to whom God revealed that Jesus was the Christ was kept excluded from the meaning of the cross. Jesus reprimanded Peter for his rebuke with the famous exclamation, ‘Get thee behind me Satan’ (Matthew 16:23).

It is evident that if Christ did not first mention his death and resurrection until more than half-way through his ministry, and even then his chief disciples were ignorant about it, that Jesus was not preaching the redemptive work of the cross for salvation.

Eternal life according to Jesus

It may be supposed that although Jesus talked a lot about the kingdom, that he still taught faith in his death on the cross for justification unto life. However, again, the Scriptures show us otherwise.

When asked how to get eternal life, Jesus responded to that commandment keeping would gain righteousness worthy of life eternal in the kingdom.

“Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. “ – Matthew 9:17
In another instance John records Jesus’ words about attaining favor with God:

“He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” – John 14:21
During his popularly quoted Sermon on the Mount Jesus taught a conditional forgiveness whereby men could receive God’s forgiveness.

“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” – Matthew 6:14-15
Instead of free justification based upon the redemptive shed blood of Christ at the cross, Jesus seems to be preaching a different message than what was revealed to Paul.

Jesus’ exclusive ministry

Instead of coming to preach the cross of Christ as Paul was sent to do (1 Cor 1:17), Paul said that Jesus came for a specific purpose – to confirm the OT promises.

“Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers” – Romans 15:8
Jesus came to a specific people, to preach a specific message, and to die a specific death. What can not be found in his exclusive ministry is salvation from the preaching of the cross.

Where Jesus sent his disciples preaching the kingdom and baptizing for admittance, Paul was sent not to baptize but to preach the cross (John 4:1, Matt 28:19, 1 Cor 1:17). Where Jesus went to a specific people, the circumcision, Paul’s ministry included every man despite their nationality or status with God.

Although we have further information about the cross of Christ, and free justification through the blood of Jesus, we must be careful not to read doctrine into Jesus earthly ministry that was not clearly revealed until later.

Even though Paul presents the gospel of Christ as the ‘power of God unto salvation’, we must remember that the gospel that Paul preached was given by revelation of Jesus after Christ’s death and resurrection (Rom 1:16, Gal 1:11-12).

< Question Page Published: May 19, 2006
Last Modified: September 7, 2009

http://graceambassadors.com/questions/did-jesus-preach-the-cross-for-salvation

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement