Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The testing of our faith

Author Topic: The testing of our faith
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this subject of "the testing of our faith"........my bible footnotes state...

"God permits testing for the purpose of strengthening faith and character, Satan entices to evil for the purpose of destruction"

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Bloodbought actually said was

quote:
Those who fail the test do not have true saving faith, because genuine faith is from God and cannot fail.
To me that means the same as saying the pretenders are weeded out.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning Carol,
You said:
And, as Bloodbought said, trials and persecutions will weed out the pretenders from the true believers. END

I agree with this........and that the true believers are those who love the Lord, those who are committed to His cause, and those who express utter dependance on Him throughout the trials and persecutions.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James 1:2-4 (NASB)

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Romans 5:3-5 (NASB)

And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

God already knows our hearts - He doesn't need to test us. But testing strengthens us and so it is done for our good.

Romans 8:28 (NASB)

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

And, as Bloodbought said, trials and persecutions will weed out the pretenders from the true believers.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barry44:
The testing of our faith: produces patience and patience produces endurance and endurance produces hope.

Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick:

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry44
Advanced Member
Member # 8375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The testing of our faith: produces patience and patience produces endurance and endurance produces hope.

--------------------
http://wordoftruth.freeforums.org/index.php

Posts: 63 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hug]
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carol.

Very interesting article.

[thumbsup2]

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Theology of Worms

quote:
...I would venture to say that one cannot properly understand the corruption of man, the sufferings of Christ, nor the humiliation and humanity of Christ without a proper understanding of the subject of worms in the bible.

http://www.biblicalexaminer.org/Unpublished/Worms.html

"Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you," declares the LORD, "and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 41:14 NASB)
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am a fellow worm.

Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
[Confused]

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

quote:
Originally posted by oneinchrist:
Hi Bloodbought,
You said:
Those who fail the test do not have true saving faith, because genuine faith is from God and cannot fail.

Are you saying that "those who fail the test" are the "ones whom God has chosen not to give genuine faith"? I assume then that these must also be the same ones whom God has chosen not to give genuine repentance also?......... right?

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2 Tim 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Genuine faith and repentance are a gift given by God; they are two sides of the one coin.

Those who don’t have these gifts from God are not saved and will fail the test.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wild B,
Please answer this, then I will answer you.

Are you a brother in the Lord? or are you an enemy in disguise?

I am a fellow worm.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Danile states:

quote:
Wild B,

a legitimate question, bill you use abusive language, you answer not with scripture for the most part; you just sow discord with your abusive language....

And calling Christ a liar on the other thread is unacceptable sir!

REPENT from saying that...

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Wild B,

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Bloodbought,
You said:

Are you saying that "those who fail the test" are the "ones whom God has chosen not to give genuine faith"? I assume then that these must also be the same ones whom God has chosen not to give genuine repentance also?......... right?

You and yours are weeding the board daily, why?

Just answer the question.

The Simplicity that is in Christ will not be thwarted by the boys of sillyness.

--------------------
That is all.....

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Bloodbought,
You said:

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

quote:
How does the Holy Spirit play in on the testing of our faith?

When God tests our faith, He is testing Himself because it is His faith, not ours. He wants to demonstrate that when we have His faith it will not fail, and that is why God said to Satan “Hast thou considered my servant Job,” Job 1:8. His faith is a gift to us who believe and receive it and the gift of God is eternal life, which was purchased by Christ on the cross. His faith cannot fail; if it did we would be very insecure. Those who fail the test do not have true saving faith, because genuine faith is from God and cannot fail.
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

I contend that the test of our faith comes from God and it is God who tests (and allows the testing of) our hearts which reveal if we truely love Him and are committed to His word.

How does the Holy Spirit play in on the testing of our faith?
I believe that it is the Holy Spirit who makes our choices clear. I believe as the scriptures state that the Holy Spirit is our helper, is our comfort, is our guide.........but that He (the Holy Spirit) always leaves room for us to make choices that reflect where our love and allegiance lies.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement