Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » It's ok to eat the meat...

Author Topic: It's ok to eat the meat...
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MR stated:

quote:
if I offended anyone by me defending the Harry Potter series, consider this my apology for that offence – I didn’t mean to hurt any feelings.

Not me Sir, not at all. [hug]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were with a Christian who did not eat meat for Religious reasons, I would not eat meat in front of them, but with just a vegetarian, I would eat meat if I wanted to. The only vegetarians I know are atheists.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty,
I hope you did not think that I was implying that eating meat is a sin. I was trying to point out that I do not believe that Pauls main objective was to let us know that it is ok to eat meat.

Paul uses the words "things offered to idols" throughout most of Chapter 8 and he only uses the word "meat" in the last verse of the chapter when he says..............
13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not a sin to eat meat.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mentors Riddle,
It is my understanding that the Holy Spirit gives us warning to abstain from things offered to idols........see Acts chapter 15.

In the context of what Paul is saying in 1Corinthians 8 I believe that Paul goes on to make an even more precise break-down............
between.........those who "knowingly or consciously" eat things sacrificed to idols and those who "unknowingly or unconsciously" eat things sacrificed to idols.

I think that Pauls aim was to keep unity in the faith(body of Christ) despite this problem that was occurring among the newer converts.

I do not think that Pauls motive in adressing this situation was to ensure that Christians knew that it was ok to eat meat(have a hamburger LOL).......although I can kinda see how someone might gather that idea.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel free to eat any foods...i do not now or have not eaten PORK in about 15 years.

i do not tell anyone that they cannot eat pork, i feel in my heart YHWH led me to NOT eat pork, so i never eat pork, my family does not eat pork.

Not a law for anyone, not saying you should not..

Thats just me.. whats not done in faith is sin.

I'll tear up some rabbit, squirel, have eaten i think [long time ago] snake, turtle, garfish, coon and a host of other animals...Just i and my family do not eat pork...why?
as i said i think YHWH led me not to.

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good post MentorsRiddle.

If we are willing to show courtesies in matters not related to faith, such as saying "Please" "Thank you" "Excuse me" and holding open the door for someone behind us and rinsing off our dishes, and so on, then we should be even more willing to be courteous about matters of faith. But, this could become complicated because there are cults we should never tolerate, and extremists who can really try our patience.

This is a really good topic.

Thanks, Carol.

You are correct: there are many cults that we should never tolerate, false doctrines that are of devils, etc.

We must always test the spirits to ensure that the doctrine is of God and not the devils.

We should be more courteous of others; especially those of our faith.

One of the reasons I wrote this, to be honest, is because I got in a discussion with a Christian brother of mine – regarding Harry Potter and the like.

After my posts on here, I wanted a second opinion on the matter and the passage above is the one he referred me to.

He said that some people will find fault with books like Harry Potter, while others find no problem with it – but we should be aware of other people’s feelings and do our best not to make them stumble in their faith.

He said Harry Potter, like the meat, is just something simple, which other people give a deeper meaning for when there is no deeper meaning. Because it is just fake, like the concept of idol meat having some type of power, etc.

He said that Harry Potter is just “meat” and nothing more – or you could say, just a “story” and nothing more. But, others will find fault with it and it may cause them to stumble if they read it.

To those people, just don’t “eat the meat” in front of them or with them and they will not stumble because of it.

So, if I offended anyone by me defending the Harry Potter series, consider this my apology for that offence – I didn’t mean to hurt any feelings.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post MentorsRiddle.

If we are willing to show courtesies in matters not related to faith, such as saying "Please" "Thank you" "Excuse me" and holding open the door for someone behind us and rinsing off our dishes, and so on, then we should be even more willing to be courteous about matters of faith. But, this could become complicated because there are cults we should never tolerate, and extremists who can really try our patience.

This is a really good topic.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Study of 1 Corinthians Chapter 8

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2 And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, as there be gods many and lords many,

6 But to us there is but one God, the father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak.

10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, least I make my brother to offend.

The first book of Corinthians finds us in the middle of a dispute between new Christians.

One party of the Christians believe it is ok to eat meat that was offered to idols, while the other party believed it was a sin against God to eat meat that was offered to idols.

Paul knew just how to answer this question.

If we look at verse 4 – 6, we can see that Paul clearly states that idols are just figments of peoples imagination and that God is the only true God. So, it is of no offence to eat this meat. And that it is also a liberty of ours to recognize this, knowing that the idols are fake.

But, there are certain Christians who are weak in their faith, who think that eating this meat is sinful and they feel defiled after they eat of this meat.

Paul said of those people – if they feel offended do not eat the meat for it is better that they not lose their faith because they see us doing something they feel is wrong.

How many other things could this be related to?

How many things in the world today could we say “Look this is just make believe – fake – there is no harm in it because it is just make believe.”

Yet, others see this same thing, which we should know to be fake, but they see harm in them – although it is unwarranted harm.

Paul says we should not do them least they find a stumbling block by our actions and fall away.

Comments?

Thoughts?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement