Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Ten Commandments Are Not For Christians

Author Topic: The Ten Commandments Are Not For Christians
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Christians Still Under the Ten Commandments? Part 2

Isaiah 7
14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. (God with us)

Matthew 5
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

We’ve had a few comments in the last few months about Part 1 of this article from Seventh Day Adventists. The Adventists believe that we are still subject to the ten commandments and among other things, they still keep the Sabbath.

Here in Sacramento, we have a prominent Adventist television preacher named Doug Batchelor, so that I am familiar with quite a lot of what they teach.

I was quite impressed with their sermons on baptism and salvation but less so with their insistence that we are still under the Law of Moses; with their latter day prophet, Ellen G.White; and with a number of other teachings. We believe that they are sincere people but we will just have to continue to disagree on a number of things.

One of the points that has been frequently raised concerning our article “Are Christians Still Under the Ten Commandments” is the number of times that the Sabbath is mentioned in the New Testament, and the fact that Jesus Christ Himself worshipped on the Sabbath and kept the Sabbath.

Our response to that of course is that Jesus Christ lived His entire life here on earth under the Law and since He did not sin, he kept all the commandments including the Sabbath.

Matt 11 12
From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15 He who has ears, let him hear.

A second “proof” that has been offered to show that we are still under the law of Moses is Matthew 5:

Matthew:5
The Fulfillment of the Law
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

The purpose of this article is to address Jesus’ comments here in Matthew 5. A great deal of the New Testament is concerned with problems in the church caused by Jews clinging to the Law of Moses and “judaizing” Christians trying very hard to bind the Law of Moses on Christians.

The book of Hebrews is an excellent place to go in the New Testament to read about this problem. The writer of Hebrews spends quite a bit of time and patience explaining how much better, how much superior is Jesus Christ, the New Covenant over the Old Covenant; the Law of Moses.

In Matthew 5, Jesus says that He did not come to abolish the Law but rather to fulfill the Law. He goes on to say that not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen will by any means disappear from the Law—until everything is accomplished.

So, what does Jesus Christ mean when He says fulfill—not abolish? When will “everything be accomplished” because it is clear that the Law will not be changed until that time.

Jesus Himself explains a little more when He instructs the Disciples after His resurrection in the text of Luke 24:

44He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."

Not the smallest letter, not one stroke of the pen will change in the Law until—all is fulfilled that was written about Jesus Christ the Messiah in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.

“The several parts of the Old Testament are here mentioned, as containing each of them things concerning Christ: The law of Moses, that is, the Pentateuch, or the five books written by Moses, (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy) —the prophets, containing not only the books that are purely prophetical, but those historical books that were written by prophetical men,—the Psalms, containing the other writings, which they called the Hagiographa.

See in what various ways of writing God did of old reveal his will; but all proceeded from one and the self-same Spirit, who by them gave notice of the coming and kingdom of the Messiah; for to him bore all the prophets witness.” Matthew Henry

According to Jesus Christ in Matthew 5, the Law of Moses will not change or be changed until—everything written about Him in the Old Testament is fulfilled. What things were prophesied about Him in the Old Testament, in the Law, the Prophets and the Psalms? Let’s look at some of them (fulfilled after His ministry began) and we’ll assume that when you read a prophesy that you will recall/understand its fulfillment in the New Testament.

Prophecy Synopsis: Moses Tells the People About A New Prophet—Like Himself

Deut 18 15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, "Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die."
17 The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.

Prophecy Synopsis: Satan shall bruise His (Christ's) heel
Scripture References: Genesis 3:15; John 19:18; John 12:31-33; Romans 16:20

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. " (Gen. 3:15)

Prophecy Synopsis: Betrayal of Jesus Christ by Judas
Scripture References: Psalm 41:9; Mark 14:10

"Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. " (Psalm 41:9)

Prophecy Synopsis: Forsaken by His disciples
Scripture References: Zechariah 13:7; Mark 14:50; Matthew 26:31

"Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones. " (Zechariah 13:7)

Prophecy Synopsis: Price paid for His betrayal
Scripture References: Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:15

"And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD. And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver." (Zechariah 11:11-12)

Prophecy Synopsis: What would be done with the betrayal money
Scripture References: Zechariah 11:13; Matthew 27:3-7

" And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. " (Zechariah 11:12-13)

Prophecy Synopsis: His scourging predicted
Scripture References: Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:26, 30; Matthew 20:19; Mark 15:15

"I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. " (Isaiah 50:6)

Prophecy Synopsis: Shame, reproach and dishonor; adversaries before Him
Scripture References: Psalm 69:19; Matthew 27:28

" And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee." (Psalm 69:17-19)

Prophecy Synopsis: False witness against Christ
Scripture References: Psalm 35:11; Matthew 26:59-61; Psalm 27:12; Mark 14:56

" All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him? False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. " (Psalm 35:10-11)

" Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty." (Psalm 27:12)

Prophecy Synopsis: Parting of His garments; cast lots for them
Scripture References: Psalm 22:18; John 19:24

" For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me." (Psalm 22:16-18)

Prophecy Synopsis: Christ would not open His mouth at His trial
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:13, 14

" He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. " (Isaiah 53:7)

Prophecy Synopsis: Jesus Christ’s crucifixion
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:5, 6, 10; Luke 23:33; John 19:16

" But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand." (Isaiah 53:5-10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophecy Synopsis: Gave Him vinegar to drink
Scripture References: Psalm 69:21; Matthew 27:34; Mark 15:23; John 19:29

" They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. " (Psalm 69:21)

Prophecy Synopsis: Feet and hands would be pierced
Scripture References: Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:35; John 20:25, 27

" My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. " (Psalm 22:15-16)

Prophecy Synopsis: His side would be pierced
Scripture References: Zechariah 12:10; Psalm 22:14; John 19:34

" And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. " (Zechariah 12:10)

" I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. " (Psalm 22:14-15)

Prophecy Synopsis: Mockery of the people; they shook their heads
Scripture References: Psalm 109:25; Matthew 27:39, 40

" I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads. " (Psalm 109:25)

Prophecy Synopsis: Reviled and mocked by the mob
Scripture References: Psalm 22:7-8; Matthew 27:39-43; Mark 15:29-32; Luke 23:35

" But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. " (Psalm 22:6-8)

Prophecy Synopsis: Jesus Christ, our Passover was sacrificed for us
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:7; John 1:29; 1 Peter 1:19; 1 Cor 5:7

" He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. " (Isaiah 53:7)

Prophecy Synopsis: Christ's intercession for the transgressors
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34

" Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." ( Isaiah 53:12)

Prophecy Synopsis: Jesus would be forsaken in His Suffering
Scripture References: Psalms 22:1; Matthew 27:46

" My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. " (Psalms 22:1-2)

Prophecy Synopsis: His body would be brutalized
Scripture References: Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26; Psalm 22:17; John 19:1

" As many were astonished at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: " (Isaiah 52:14)

" For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. " (Psalm 22:16-17)

Prophecy Synopsis: Christ would commit His spirit to the Father
Scripture References: Psalms 31:5; Luke 23:46

" Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. " (Psalm 31:5)

Prophecy Synopsis: Not one of His bones would be broken
Scripture References: Psalms 34:20; Exodus 12:46; John 19:33, 36

" He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken. " (Psalms 34:20)

"In one house shall it be eaten; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; neither shall ye break a bone thereof. " (Exodus 12:46)

Prophecy Synopsis: He was numbered among the transgressors
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:33

" Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." (Isaiah 53:12)

Prophecy Synopsis: The place of His burial
Scripture References: Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60

" He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. " (Isaiah 53:8-9)

Prophesy Synopsis: The Bible gives Date of Messiah's Presentation

In the book of Daniel (9:25) we find a startling prediction:

``Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Messiah, the Prince, comes, there will be seven `sevens', and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be rebuilt with streets and a wall, but in times of trouble."

The idiom, a 'seven', refers to a week of years and was used to describe a ``Sabbath for the land" (the land was to lay fallow every seventh year). "Messiah the Prince" is "The Annointed One, the ruler" or in Hebrew, "Meschiach Nagid".

Jesus Christ always avoided the attempts of the people to crown Him king, but on April 6, 32 A.D. Jesus presented Himself as King riding into Jerusalem on a donkey in fulfillment of Zechariah 9:9.

On March 14, 445 B.C., Artaxerxes Longimanus issued the command to restore and rebuild Jerusalem.

The Jewish and Babylonian calendars used a 360 day year. The angel Gabriel told Daniel that there would be 69 weeks of years between the command to rebuild Jerusalem until the presentation of Messiah the King, which is exactly 173,880 days (69 * 7 *360).

How many days are between March 14, 445 B.C when the command was issued to rebuild Jerusalem to April 6, 32 A.D.?

445 B.C. to 32 A.D. is 476 years (there is no year zero)

476 * 365 days per year = 173,740 days

March 14 - April 6 = 24 days

days for leap years = 116 days

Grand Total = 173,880 days.

Jesus presented himself as king on the exact day as predicted by Gabriel's prophesy. And that, we call Checkmate. This is evidence that demands a verdict. Source: Evidence That Demands A Verdict

Source: Bernie Monsalvo

The above listed prophesies concerning Jesus Christ are only a few of the hundreds and even thousands of prophesies concerning Him that had to be fulfilled during the course of Jesus’ life here on earth up to and through His resurrection. These are the “everythings” that had to be fulfilled before the Law of Moses and its covenant could be replaced by the better covenant prophesied in Jeremiah.

To further prove that this was the case—and that these things were fully accomplished so that the Law of Moses could be FULFILLED, here are additional quotes concerning that fulfillment:

Luke 18:31
Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, "We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled.

Matthew 26
53Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

Mark 14:49
Every day I was with you, teaching in the temple courts, and you did not arrest me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled."

Luke 1:1
Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us

ALMOST COMPLETED

Luke 22:37
It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

ALL IS COMPLETED

John 19:28
Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."

Luke 24
44He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."

45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

Chris St James
http://www.s8int.com/tencommandments2.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Christians Still Under the Ten Commandments? Part 1

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Jeremiah 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

There is quite a bit of confusion and misunderstanding among followers of Christ concerning the Ten Commandments; the Law of Moses and the Law of Christ.

Those who say that we are still under the law of Moses ask; “if you don’t believe that we are under the ten commandments, then do you think its okay to murder and steal?”

Those who say we are no longer under the ten commandments may say something like; “we are no longer under the ten commandments but, nine of the ten (excepting the Sabbath) still apply to us today”.

Ten commandment adherents point to the number of times the Sabbath is mentioned in the New Testament and "new covenant adherents" may quote Colossians 2; that the Law was nailed to the cross. The question then is this; what does the Bible say about the Law of Moses and the law Christians are to live under?

Were the Ten Commandments the First Law of God?

The ten commandments were given to the Israelites on Mount Horeb:

Deuteronomy 5

1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them. 2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

4 The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire, 5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the word of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount;) saying, 6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me. 8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: 9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments. 11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. 12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine *** , nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. 16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

17 Thou shalt not kill.

18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

19 Neither shalt thou steal.

20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.

21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his *** , or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

22 These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

Note that in verses 1 and 2 that it is Israel with which God makes this covenant. Notice in verse 3 that this covenant was different than any covenant made with their fathers.

Note further that the ten commandments were included in this covenant and that it appears from this passage that the Sabbath observance is tied to an event that applies solely to the Israelites (verses 14 & 15)

The answer to the question posed in this section is that the law of Moses, was different than covenants made with others before them. Now, we know that there was sin prior to the giving of the law, --before that law given here to the Israelites.

For instance the sin of Cain;,the sin of Adam and Eve, so that those violations of God’s law occurred outside of the ten commandment covenant. Thus, we can see that there was sin and even judgment because of sin (the flood) that occurred prior to the Law of Moses being given.

Hence, we know that the essential principles of God’s law and sin have been there from the beginning.

Were the Ten Commandments the Only Law of God AFTER the Law Was Given to Moses?

We have seen that the Law of Moses was contained in a covenant between the Israelites and God. Some may appreciate that but believe that Christians were somehow added to that covenant at a later time. However, I think a case can be made that even after the Law was given to Moses, that God judged men of that time by His Law— but not by the law of Moses.

At that time, foreigners could become acolytes and subject themselves to the Law of Moses by essentially becoming Israelites and living as the Israelites did. The question is, were there Gentiles obedient to God’s law during the time of the Old Testament who were not under the Law of Moses?

Clearly if anyone pleased God during that time who was not an Israelite nor an acolyte, there was another law of God operating even then.

The Apostle Paul wrote: Romans 2

14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,

15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

During the "Law of Moses period", Jonah was sent by God to warn the Babylonians at Nineveh about God’s coming judgment: Jonah 1 2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.

This is just one of a multitude of examples one could use to illustrate Paul’s statement in Romans 2. In fact, it should be clear that Paul’s statement above (a law unto themselves) could only refer to the Old Testament.

The Babylonians were sinning against God, but they were Not a party to the covenant given to Moses between God and the Israelites.

Certainly, no one will disagree with the idea that they were not able to recieve the promises God made to the Israelites if they were to obey God—and yet they are sinning against God here.

Jonah 3

4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. 5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.

6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.

7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:

8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

It’s clear here that for a time the Ninevites repented of their sins and evil ways. However, they did not become Jews or Israelites. They did not become God’s chosen people. They did not become Jewish acolytes. They were gentiles who found a way to believe in God and to believe the truth and repent—but they did not become part of the covenant of Moses.

Contracts and Covenants

I think it important here to look at the terms covenant and one of its cousins, the contract.

covenant \Cov"e*nant\ (k?v"?-nant), A mutual agreement of two or more persons or parties, or one of the stipulations in such an agreement.

Then Jonathan and David made a covenant. --1 Sam. xviiii. 3. The promises of God as revealed in the Scriptures, conditioned on certain terms on the part of man, as obedience, repentance, faith, etc.

I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. --Gen. xvii. 7.

contract: a binding written or oral agreement between two or more parties which requires specific performance from each of the parties

Please pay special attention to the fact that with covenants and contracts,

1) the parties to the contract or covenant is spelled out in advance,

2) that participation in them is voluntary at the outset

3) there is something that must be done or is expected to be done by all parties to the agreement

If you’ve ever signed a lease for an apartment, you know that the lease spells out who the parties to the agreement are, the terms of the agreement and what the responsibilities of each party are. What happens if you’ve signed a lease, and completed the terms of the lease successfully?

You may be given the opportunity to sign a new one for a new term. The new lease may have many terms in common, it may cover the same apartment. It may involve the same parties. In many ways it may be identical.

However, it is a new lease and the landlord cannot hold you responsible for any terms under the old lease and you cannot claim any benefits that were under the old but not in the new lease.

No matter how similar the two leases are, they are not the same lease. Many have this confusion about the Law of Moses—on both sides of the argument. Even if the responsibilities of the new lease are quite similar to the old one, neither party can enforce or make any claims under the old--it is no longer in force.

You can’t demand to pay the lower rent of the old lease, nor can your landlord apply requirements that were in the old agreement but not included in the new. Neither party will go to court to sue over provisions of a lease that no longer applies—the judge would throw that party out.

Virtually every time you sign a new lease, it is substantially similar to the old. You cannot take your responsibilities under the old and combine that with the landlord’s responsibilities under the new one or vice-versa as some try to do by combining the Law of Moses and the law of Christ.

On the other hand, the new lease or a new contract may have substantially different parties as part of the agreement and have substantially the same requirements or substantially different requirements.

This is the case with the law of Christ and the law of Moses. The Law of Christ is similar in many respects to the Law of Moses but; the parties to the agreement are different and the terms of performance—what each party to the agreement will do are substantially different .

It is a new agreement and there is no use trying to bring the old one into “court”: because the judge will throw it out.

Fulfilling The Law

As we noted, both parties to an agreement have duties and responsibilities. We know that God has always fulfilled his side, but that under the law of Moses, man never fulfilled his side of the contract/covenant.

If you fail to perform, that is complete your responsibilities under a covenant, there are usually penalties associated with that failure. With an apartment lease, you may be evicted and sued, with another type of contract, there may also be civil penalties and a court judgment.

To avoid penalties and to receive the benefits of a contract/covenant, one must fulfill the terms of the agreement. For the Israelites and for man, the penalty is death and the judgment.

Man found himself subject to the penalties of disobedience to God’s law, and with no way to fulfill our responsibilities. In this circumstance one must 1)find a way to fulfill the contract 2)have the other party or the judge cancel the contract 3)suffer the penalty for failing to perform.

Matthew 5

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Those who believe we are under the ten commandments cling to the statement “think not that I came to destroy the law” as proof that we are still under the law. Note that verse 18, though which says not one jot or tittle will pass until “all be fulfilled”.That's the term of that particular contract.

What does that mean? How do you fulfill your lease contract? The owner performs his part and you perform your part. At that time, that contract is fulfilled and a new one can be set in place. We noted above 3 things that could happen.

Jesus says in verse 17 above that he did not come to simply cancel the law instead He would fulfill it. Canceling the law would cancel justice since if God could simply set it aside without penalty or repercussions or recognition for those who tried to obey --why make such a big deal about sin in the first place?

Just as Adam sinned and condemned all men to death thereby, Jesus came and lived a perfect life under the Covenant of Moses and thereby fulfilled man’s part of the covenant. Just as man was condemned because of the sinful life of one man, man was restored by the sinless life of one man under the covenant—fulfilling the covenant and paying the penalty of Adam and all subsequent men on the cross.

By living a perfect life under the law, Jesus was justified under the law. By sacrificing Himself on the cross He paid the penalty that we should have paid.

Ephesian2:15

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

At that time, God through his Son put a new covenant in place with some similar provisions and requirements but that was entirely new and self sufficient—with better promises and less stringent requirements.

Hebrews 8

6 But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

The Law of Christ

Romans 13

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"[1] and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[2] 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Galatians 5

11Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature[1] ; rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[2] 15If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

All the Law of Moses can be divided into 1)How to relate to God or, 2) how to relate to your neighbor. As mature, we are not told point by point how to behave in every conceivable situation as the Israelites were.

The Law was a schoolmaster, according to Paul to lead us to Christ and so as Christians we are to apply what we’ve learned about obedience to God and love towards our neighbor as mature followers of God.

The New Testament definitely does give us some specific commands and instructions, but we are to approach them with understanding and maturity—not as children.

Conclusion

Adam sinned, Cain sinned not by violating the ten commandments but by violating God’s law which has always condemned sin; including murder, lying and theft. God judged men for good and evil who were part of the covenant of Moses as well as those outside of the covenant.

The law of Christ is God’s law for man today and is similar to that law that condemned Adam, and Cain and all those who sinned prior to the Law of Moses being given.

It is not the law of Moses lite—it is a law in and of itself—and no one is subject to that covenant of Moses in any respect—not to its requirements nor its promises.

You are not subject to your old lease no matter how similar is to your current one and your new one is not simply your old one minus a few clauses or plus a few.

It stands alone and the law of the Kingdom stands alone. It is so much better than the Law of Moses in every respect. If your new lease required substantially lower rent for a better apartment, it is doubtful that you’d try to cling to the old one, however, people do just that in the case of the law of Moses and the law of Christ.

Hebrews 9

14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death,[3] so that we may serve the living God!

15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

The Apostle Paul Sums it up:1 Corinthians 9

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.
22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.
23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Chris St James
http://www.s8int.com/tencommandments.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
Im reading over this material Sister Carol..Thanks

Interesting website.. [thumbsup2]

http://www.bethelministries.com/

I thought you might like it. I like some of it, and don't like some of it.
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sister Carol looks like you did what i did huh?

You found an article that supposts what you believe and posted it....Thats what i did...

I don't think you know all what Harry Bethel teaches.......nor did i when i posted off the COG website....

Here are some of Harry Bethel's Q&A Section

1. He does not believe in pre trip..He is post trib "rapture"

He does not believe OSAS

Anyway here is his Q&A section:

Questions & Answers

This page contains thought-provoking questions and answers. The answers are as brief as possible, but most are expanded in related articles, with supporting scriptures, the titles of which can be found in the CONTENTS

Q. What is the true Gospel message?
A. The true Gospel message includes both repentance and forgiveness of sins. Most evangelists leave out the necessity of repentance for salvation.

Q. What do I have to do to go to heaven?
A. Repent of your sins and receive Jesus Christ.

Q. What do I have to do to go to hell?
A. Nothing.

Q. Are we really living in the last days, and if so why hasn't Jesus returned by now?
A. We have been living in the last days since the times of the apostles. There was a postponement of the the return of Jesus and the end of the world. (The relevant article is very informative.)

Q. Is the King James Version the only true Word of God in the English language?
A. No.

Q. Is speaking in tongues for today?
A. Speaking in tongues is just as much for today as it ever has been. Most of the tongues-speaking today, however, is not of God but demonic. (This writer has been filled with the Holy Spirit, but never has spoken in tongues.)

Q. Is water baptism necessary for salvation?
A. No.

Q. Has the Law been done away with?
A. No. It is still in effect for all Jews (and only Jews) who have not been born again. Once a Jew is born again, he or she is no longer under the Law, but under the New and better Covenant which is a much higher calling. Gentiles never were, are not now, and never will be under the Mosaic Law.

Q. Is the universe infinite?
A. No. The universe is immeasurably large, but it is not infinite. Heaven is probably located near the outer edge of the universe. Heaven, where Christ and all the dead saints are, is referred to as the "third heaven" where the apostle Paul was caught up to. Nothing is infinite except God. Everything physical has a beginning, a middle, and an end. God is infinite and is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

Q. How old is the universe, including the earth?
A. According to the Bible the universe is calculated to be approximately 6,000 years old.

Q. How can the universe, including the earth, be only 6,000 years old, when many eminent scientists are sure the universe is billions of years old?
A. Many astronomers and others believe the universe is billions of years old because of immeasurably vast distances between stars, and even between billions of galaxies, that would take billions of years for light to travel from one to the other. Since it has been proven that the universe is expanding, it is assumed (wrongly) that there was a very small central point from which the universe exploded and began to expand, which (wrongly) implies, because of the great distance between one end of the visible universe (with telescopes, etc.) and the other, that the universe is billions of years old.

Q. How can the scientifically proven "obvious" very old age of the earth be reconciled with the biblical account of the earth being only a calculated 6,000 years old?
A. God spoke the universe into being. When God spoke the universe into being He created it with stars and galaxies vast distances apart with existing light between them. The universe, therefore, "appears" to be billions of years old, when in fact it is only about 6,000 years old, and would only have been expanding for 6,000 years, not billions of years. This is only one way in which God confounds the so-called "wise" scientists and others who reject God's Word which speaks of the universe being created an amount of time that can be calculated to be approximately 6,000 years ago.

Q. But what about the Big Bang theory?
A. There never was a Big Bang that started the expansion of the universe. The universe was merely spoken into being by God, approximately 6,000 years ago. There, however, will be a "Big Bang" in the future when the universe collapses in on itself, around the earth on the Last Day, when Jesus returns at the end of the Great Tribulation. "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up...the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat" (2 Peter 3:10-12 KJV). "...the sun became black...and the whole moon became [red] like blood; and the stars of the sky fell to the earth...The sky was split apart like a scroll when it is rolled up...the first heaven and the first earth passed away" (Revelation 6:10-14; 21:1). This writer, although not setting any dates, has very good reason to believe that the entire universe will end in or before the year 2020. (Again, I am not setting dates, and it is possible that the end of the world could come much later than that.)

Q. But how could it be possible for the entire universe to collapse around the earth sometime soon, when many stars and galaxies are billions of light years away, and nothing travels faster than the speed of light, therefore, it seems the universe would not collapse for at least billions of years.
A. God supernaturally spoke the universe into being with many of the celestial bodies billions of light years apart, with light existing between them. Likewise, He is able to supernaturally cause the universe to collapse around the earth in an extremely short period of time. Also, angels dispatched from heaven (presumably near the outer edge of the universe) to the earth can travel the great distance virtually instantly, and appear in a humanoid body. (This says nothing of credible reports of UFOs, if they really are extraterrestrial, that would have the ability to travel trillions of miles exceedingly faster than the speed of light, and defy conventional laws of physics in other ways.)

Q. But what about physical "evidence" that the earth is billions of years old?
A. According to calculations from God's Word the earth is only approximately 6,000 years old and the questions and answers above show how this is true. Therefore, if the above is true, and it is, then it is also true that there is no evidence to prove that the earth is billions (or even millions) of years old, even if it "appears" to be very old. Again, God created the earth and all the creatures mentioned in the Bible in such a way, and the universal flood about 4,400 years ago with compression of strata, that makes it "appear" to be very old, when in fact it is not. This, of course, rules out the possibility of evolution of species between "kinds" of animals, notwithstanding limited adaptations within a relative few kinds of animals. God, again, confounds the "wise" who reject the truths of God's Word.

Q. Is the Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?
A. Yes. They deny the deity of Christ, and teach many other false doctrines, and are not true Christians.

Q. Is the Seventh Day Adventists a cult?
A. Yes. They teach that worshipping on the first day of the week is taking the Mark of the Beast, and that Christians should obey the fourth commandment of the Decalogue (observe the Sabbath), which is only for Jews who have not been born again. They teach the false doctrines of annihilation of the soul, vegetarianism and other heresies.

Q. Is it okay for a Christian to be a Freemason?
A. No. Freemasonry is of Satan. All Christians who are Masons should repent, renounce it and come out of it immediately.

Q. When will the saints be raptured?
A. At the end of the Great Tribulation, on the Last Day.

Q. Why do most Christians believe in a Pre-Tribulation rapture?
A. They are deceived by false teaching.

Q. Does the Great Tribulation last seven years?
A. No. Even though Daniel's seventieth week represents seven years, the seven years was shortened by God to three and a half years for the sake of the elect, who will go through the Great Tribulation. If God had not shortened the length of the Great Tribulation no one would survive.

Q. Is the Great White Throne Judgment only for the unsaved?
A. No. It is for Christians and the unsaved. The sheep (Christians) will be on Jesus' right and the goats (unsaved) will be on His left. Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. The unsaved will be judged and cast into the Lake of Fire, and Christians will be judged and receive or lose rewards. All of this will take place on the Last Day, which is the last day of the Great Tribulation when Jesus returns and the rapture occurs.

Q. Isn't Christ the head of men and women?
A. Christ is the head of men, but not women.

Q. Will women be rewarded in heaven, just as men will be?
A. Yes. Some women will be rewarded much more than many men.

Q. Are Adam and Eve in heaven?
A. Eve is in heaven, but Adam is in hell.

Q. Is there a mandate in the Bible for Christians to be supportive of Israel as many Evangelicals advocate?
A. None, whatsoever.

Q. Is it important to call Jesus by a particular name?
A. No. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Jesus, addressed by any other name is still Jesus. All those with whom I have corresponded who insist that Jesus must be called Yeshua, the Aramaic translation of His name (or by some other name), do not realize that Jesus is called scores of other names in the Scriptures, such as Good Shepherd, Alpha and Omega, Lamb of God, Lord, Son of God, Son of Man, and God. One's mother is still his or her mother whether she is called mother or mom or momma or mommy or ma or any other name. The glaring problem with those who insist on calling Jesus by a different name is that they don't even obey Him, which is proof that they don't love Him, according to the Word, which is another name for Jesus. (Yeshua said if you love me obey My commandments, of which there are about 180 in the New Testament.) Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord when you do not do what I say?"
Q. What is death?
A. Everyone is born "dead in their trespasses and sins." Those who are born again are given eternal life. There are two kinds of death. The first is physical, when the soul leaves the body and it totally ceases to function. The second kind of death is spiritual. Spiritual death occurs if a Christian forfeits his/her salvation (life). Spiritual death is separation from God. People in hell are not yet eternally separated from God; they will be brought out of hell to stand before Jesus on the Last Day, which is the Day of Judgment, which is the day Jesus returns. Many people will plead with the Lord, to no avail. ('Lord, Lord, didn't I do this and that in your Name' to which He will reply, "Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels...Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.") The Lake of Fire is the "second death" (Rev. 20:14), which is separation from God for all eternity. There is absolutely nothing worse than the second death---being separated from God for all eternity, in conscious existence, bearing all the sins you have ever committed with the guilt, remorse (without repentance), and unfulfilled lusts and desires.

Q. May women speak in the assembly of believers and give a testimony for the glory of the Lord?
A. No. Women must remain silent in the churches.

Q. Are there any scripturally organized local churches today?
A. No.

Q. Are there any God-sent pastors today?
A. No. There are many true Christians who fill the role of "pastor" today, but God did not send any of them to be a pastor.

Q. Who killed Jesus?
A. The Jews.

Q. Did Jesus die only for the elect?
A. No. Jesus died for everyone.

Q. If Jesus died for everyone and paid for their sins shouldn't everyone be able to go to heaven?
A. No. Even though the sin debt is paid, one must repent of one's sins and receive Jesus Christ in order to go to heaven.

Q. Aren't the Jews God's chosen people?
A. No. They were God's chosen people under the Old Covenant, but not now.

Q. Doesn't the fact that Israel was established as a nation in 1948 prove that they are God's chosen people and that He has great plans for the Jews?
A. Probably the main reason that God allowed the state of Israel to be established was to provide a platform from which the Antichrist (a Jew) will arise.

Q. Aren't most, if not all, Jews saved?
A. No. The vast majority of Jews are not saved and will spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.

Q. Doesn't the Bible say that all Israel will be saved?
A. Yes, but it also says that all Israel is only a remnant.

Q. Does the Atonement include physical healing?
A. No. God, however, can and sometimes does heal miraculously.

Q. Will there be a thousand-year reign of Christ after the Great Tribulation?
A. No.

Q. When will the world come to an end?
A. On the last day of the Great Tribulation.

Q. Can Christians lose rewards?
A. Yes.

Q. Can a Christian lose his salvation?
A. A Christian cannot merely "lose" his or her salvation, but a true Christian can forfeit his or her salvation and be confined to the Lake of Fire for all eternity.

Expanded answers to most of these questions, with supporting scriptures, can be found in the articles listed in the CONTENTS

Q. Will any true Christians take the Mark of the Beast?
A. Yes.

Q. What will happen to Christians who take the Mark of the Beast?
A. They will be confined to the Lake of Fire for all eternity.

Q. Are the Martial Arts (karate, judo, jujitsu, etc.) okay for Christians?
A. No. The practice of martial arts is demonic and/or worldly. The Holy Spirit has nothing whatsoever to do with martial arts.

Q. According to the Hebrew and Greek in the Bible, may a Christian who is divorced marry another person?
A. Yes.

Q. Doesn't the Bible say that whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery?
A. Some translations say that in Matthew 5:32, but that word transliterated "divorced" in some translations is "put away" in the Greek. It is adultery to marry a woman who is put away, but has not been divorced, because she is still married.

Q. Doesn't "divorce" and "put away" mean the same thing?
A. No. Divorced people are usually "put away," but not all who have been "put away" have been divorced. Divorcement dissolves a marriage.

Q. Has the Sabbath been changed to the first day of the week?
A. No. The Sabbath is the seventh day of the week and is to be observed only by Jews who have not been born again.

Q. Doesn't the fourth commandment say to remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy?
A. Yes, but the Ten Commandments, along with the rest of the Law, is for Jews who have not been born again. The Law, including the Ten Commandments, is not for Christians; Christians have a higher calling to be led by the Holy Spirit and obey the approximately 180 New Testament commandments. Jews who have been born again have been set free from the curse of the Law. Jews who have not been born again are still under the Mosaic Law, which will be in effect for unsaved Jews until the universe is destroyed on the Last Day, which is the last day of the Great Tribulation when Jesus returns.

Q. Can a Christian have a demon?
A. Yes. A Christian can be demonized and have a demon within the realm of the flesh or the soul, but not within the realm of the spirit where the Holy Spirit resides. It is not accurate to say one who has a demon or demons is "demon-possessed," notwithstanding the fact that some translations use this term. The correct rendering should be "to have a demon."

Q. How can a Christian have the Holy Spirit and a demon at the same time?
A. The Holy Spirit in a believer is within the realm of the spirit. A demon can only be within the realm of the soul or body.

Q. How can a Christian become demonized?
A. A Christian can become demonized by getting involved with things in the realm of darkness such as magic, Ouija boards, fortune telling, viewing pornography, etc., and by knowingly rejecting God's truths.

Q. Are all the unsaved "lost?"
A. Some of the unsaved are lost "sheep," but it is incorrect to say that all the unsaved are lost. All the lost are unsaved, but not all the unsaved are lost. All the unsaved elect are lost and will be saved. All the unsaved who are not lost will not be saved. "For the Son of man has come to save that which was lost" (Matthew 18:11 NASB). The devil is the father of all the unsaved who are not lost.

Q. Are Christians called to suffer?
A. Yes. "If you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps" (1 Peter 2:20-21).

Q. Is heaven eternal?
A. No. The present heaven will be destroyed with the earth and the rest of the universe on the last day. God will create a new heaven and a new earth.

Q. Will everyone in hell be confined there for all eternity?
A. No. Everyone in hell will be taken out on the last day to stand before Jesus at the Great White Throne Judgment, and will stand on His left. The sheep (Christians) will stand on His right.

Q. Will the Antichrist be a Gentile?
A. The Antichrist will be a Jew, and is probably alive now.

Q. Won't the Pope be the Antichrist?
A. No. Most likely, the Pope living at the time of the Great Tribulation will be the False Prophet.

Q. Will the Antichrist force everyone to take the Mark of the Beast?
A. No. The False Prophet will force everyone to take the mark.

Q. How will people be forced to take the mark?
A. They will be threatened with execution or economic pressures. No one will be able to buy or sell anything without the mark (including food, gasoline, paying rent, mortgage payments, taxes, automobile license plates, electricity, ad infinitum).

Q. Will the Mark of the Beast be a literal mark?
A. Yes. It will be on the forehead or right hand, and will probably incorporate some type of vaccination that will later produce a loathsome sore (Revelation 16:2, 11). The mark (Greek, charagma, which means a stamp, an impression or an engraving), will be a visible mark, not an invisible chip implanted under the skin.

Q. What will happen to everyone who receives the Mark of the Beast?
A. They will all be confined to the Lake of Fire and the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever.

Q. Will any true Christians take the Mark of the Beast?
A. Yes. Many true Christians will be martyred without taking the mark, but many true Christians, who apostatize and compromise, will take the mark and forfeit their salvation, which will have the same consequences as the unsaved. God will give power to the Antichrist to overcome the saints because of their turning from Jesus, i.e., apostatizing (Daniel 7:25, 12:7; Revelation 13:7).

Q. Aren't Christians unconditionally eternally secure?
A. No. Christians are, indeed, eternally secure, but not unconditionally. If they willfully turn from the Lord like Adam did who disobeyed, knowing he would die (spiritually, and, later, physically because God told him so), and like Esau who sold his birthright for one meal and tried to get it back with tears (to no avail), and like the Laodecian Christians, who were in Jesus Christ, but who would be vomited out of Christ, if they did not repent of their lukewarmness, if they take the Mark of the Beast, they will be confined to the Lake of Fire for all eternity. Jesus warned that if anyone does not take up his cross and follow Him is not worthy of Him, and anyone who wants to save his life will lose it, but anyone who loses his life for Christ's sake will save it (Luke 9:24). Jesus asked the rhetorical question, Would He find faith on earth when He returned? The clear implication is that He would not, or that He would find very little faith when He returned. Christ warned that the endtime when He returned would be like the days of Noah. There were only eight people, out of millions, considered to be righteous and who were saved in the Ark. Also, God would have spared Sodom and Gomorrah if there were only ten righteous people in the two cities, but there were only four who escaped, and one of those (Lot's wife) looked back in disobedience and was turned into a pillar of salt.

Q. Does the doctrine of the Trinity mean that there are three Gods?
A. No. There is only one God. God is manifested in the persons of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. An inadequate, but perhaps helpful, mathematical analogy would not be 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 but rather 1 x 1 x 1 = 1. Some argue that the word "Trinity" is nowhere to be found in the Scriptures. Neither is the word "rapture," but the concepts, truths, and reality of the Trinity and the rapture are clearly revealed in the Scriptures.

Expanded answers to most of these questions, with supporting scriptures, can be found in the articles listed in the CONTENTS

Q. Are the Old Testament dietary laws for Christians?
A. No. None of the Law is for Christians, including Jews who have been born again. (Christians have a higher calling than the Old Covenant saints.) For those who have received Jesus and been saved He declared all foods clean (Mark 7:19 NIV, NASB). The apostle Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said that all foods are clean (Romans 14:20). Christians who are weak in the faith eat only vegetables (Romans 14:1-2). "The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons...They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the Word of God and prayer" (1 Timothy 4:1-5).

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im reading over this material Sister Carol..Thanks

Interesting website.. [thumbsup2]

http://www.bethelministries.com/

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT FOR CHRISTIANS

We Have A Higher Calling Than The O.T. Saints

Please read these verses of Scripture before reading the following article:

1. The apostle Paul, a Jew said, "I MYSELF AM NOT UNDER THE LAW" (1 Cor. 9:20).

2. "ALL WHO RELY ON OBSERVING THE LAW ARE UNDER A CURSE" (Gal. 3:10).

3. "CHRIST REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:13).

4. "NOW THAT FAITH HAS COME, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE LAW" (Gal. 3:25).

5. "YOU HAVE BEEN SEVERED FROM CHRIST, YOU WHO ARE SEEKING TO BE JUSTIFIED BY LAW; YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE" (Gal. 5:4).

6. "IF YOU ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW" (Gal. 5:18).

7. "WHATEVER THE LAW SAYS, IT SPEAKS TO THOSE WHO ARE UNDER THE LAW (Jews who are not born again)" (Rom. 3:19).

8. "THOSE WHO ARE CIRCUMCISED [JEWS] DO NOT EVEN KEEP THE LAW THEMSELVES" (Gal. 6:11).

9. "IF RIGHTEOUSNESS COULD BE GAINED THROUGH [KEEPING] THE LAW, CHRIST DIED FOR NOTHING!" (Gal. 2:21).

10. "GENTLES...DO NOT HAVE THE LAW...THEY DO NOT HAVE THE LAW" (Rom. 2:14) (Gentiles never have and never will have the Law.)

11. "NO ONE WILL BE DECLARED RIGHTEOUS IN HIS [GOD'S] SIGHT BY OBSERVING THE LAW" (Rom. 3:20).

12. "SIN SHALL NOT BE YOUR MASTER, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW, BUT UNDER GRACE" (Rom. 6:14).

13. "WE HAVE BEEN RELEASED FROM THE LAW SO THAT WE SERVE IN THE NEW WAY OF THE SPIRIT, AND NOT IN THE OLD WAY OF THE WRITTEN CODE" (Rom. 7:6).

14. "CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW ... FOR EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES" (Rom. 10:4).

15. THE LAW IS "THE MINISTRY OF DEATH...[AND] CONDEMNATION" (2 Cor. 3:7 & 9).

Many Christians are not clear concerning what our relationship to the Old Testament should be. This causes error in doctrine and practical Christianity in many areas of our lives. Our calling as Christians is much higher than that of the Old Testament saints. We are living under the New Covenant which demands a higher degree of holiness and obedience to God.

Under the Old Covenant a clear manifestation of God's blessing upon the lives of His people was material prosperity. Some examples of this are Job, Abraham, Solomon, and others.

Under the New Covenant it is more blessed to give away your wealth and even be content with food and clothing if that is your lot. Under the Old Covenant it was an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, but now if we are struck on one cheek we are to turn the other also. If we are forced to go a mile, we should go two. If our coat is taken away we are not to forbid the taking of our cloak also.

There are those who say that we are not under the ceremonial law, but under the moral law of the Old Testament. Again, we have a higher calling under the Covenant of Grace.

Under the Old Covenant a married person was guilty of adultery by committing the physical act. Under the New, a married person is guilty of adultery simply by lusting in his or her heart, without even having committed the physical act. Under the Old Covenant murder was forbidden, but under the New whosoever even hates his brother is a murderer (1 Jn. 3:15).

Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Til heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, til all be fulfilled" (Mat. 5:17-18).

Jesus did indeed fulfil the law. Jesus is the personification of Love. Paul, inspired by the Spirit of Christ wrote, "He that loveth another hath fulfilled the law" (Rom. 13:8) and "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law" (Rom. 13:10) and "The law is fulfilled in one word, even this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Jesus loved even His enemies; even those who crucified Him, enough to die on the cross in incomprehensible agony.

The standard is much higher now, and Christians have the grace to live it by the power of God as we are led by the Holy Spirit. God said, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord. I will put my laws [plural] into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them" (Heb. 10:16). The true Church is the "Israel of God" (Gal. 6:16). "If ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the [Old Covenant] law" (Gal. 5:18).

According to the New Testament, we are living in the last days. And one of the things that the Scriptures say about these times is that there will be a falling away from the truth. There will be many false prophets and false teachers.

One sign of the prevalent apostasy (falling away from truth) is the fact that so many Christians do not even know what the meaning of the word "grace" is. They vaguely define it as "unmerited favor." And this is true, but this almost entirely misses the incomparable significance of what grace really is and how the concept is necessary for a proper understanding of this dispensation of grace, which is under the New Covenant.

Many Christians today have been deceived by legalists on the one hand and liberals on the other; the former having a pharisaical spirit, thinking that outward conformity to the commandments of God is the essence of Christianity, and the latter justifying their easy believism, worldliness and suffering-avoidance by yelling "legalism" and proclaiming their "liberty in Christ" and "the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life."

Also, this writer has met many Christians who are sincerely trying to please the Lord with their lives, but do not know how to separate the commands of the Old Covenant from those of the New. Indeed, many of these precious brothers and sisters do not even realize that, for Christians, the Old has been replaced by the New, and while "all scripture [including the Old Testament] is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," the saints under the New Covenant have a much higher calling than did the Old Testament saints.

The conditions for the highest level of discipleship, set forth in Luke 14, are much more demanding than those required of saints in the Old Dispensation who were under the Law.

This brings us to the meaning and essence of "grace"---how we can be obedient to God, and what He really expects of us as revealed in the commandments of the New Testament. Grace is the God-given desire and power to do God's will. And the marvelous thing about this is that it comes from God, and it is a free gift. But one condition for receiving it is humility. God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble (Jam. 4:6).

A good explanation of grace is found in the epistle to the Philippians: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Php. 2:13).

Grace and faith are both necessary for salvation as God grants repentance to the sinner who humbles himself before Him. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8).

Another passage that gives light regarding what grace is can be found in Hebrews 13:20-21. "Now the God of peace...make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ...." Paul wrote, "By the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1 Cor. 15:10).

The apostle wrote, "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry....And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 1:12, 14). "[God] who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace...." (2 Tim. 1:9). "The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (Jn. 1:17).

Tantamount to the comprehension of grace is that of "faith." There are three types of faith: trusting in God; the Christian faith or Christian beliefs in general; and the knowledge of God's will.

Faith (the kind that, like grace, comes from God) is the knowledge of God's will for you, and grace is the God-given desire and power to do His will. Faith without works (appropriate action) is dead, and you can only do an act of faith (God's revealed will) as you humble yourself before Him and receive the grace to do it.

The Christian's sinful nature is still with him until he leaves his body, and if we were left to ourselves we would not do God's will---we would have neither the desire nor the power to do it. Without Jesus we can do nothing (Jn. 15:5). Jesus is the Author of faith (Heb. 12:2).

All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags. And all our works that are not of faith (according to the knowledge of God's will), as we receive His grace (the desire and the power to do His will), are merely wood, hay, and stubble. Everything that we do in our own power will burn up; everything that Jesus does through us by faith as we receive His grace, has eternity stamped on it.

We are vessels through which God desires to carry out His plan. We must be careful that all we do is by faith "for whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Rom. 14:23), as we humbly receive His grace.

Much of the work done by Christians today is not in the power of the Holy Spirit, which is to say it is not of faith and is done in our own power. God only gives grace to do work that is of faith. Without faith from God it is impossible to please Him (Heb. 11:6), and it is impossible to carry out works of faith without His grace.

We are exhorted by Paul to "Present your bodies a living sacrifice....And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:1-2).

Faith is God's will revealed to you by Him. It is the "substance of things hoped for" (Heb. 11:1). "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" (Eph. 5:15-17).

When Jesus condescended and came to this planet, He lived by faith. Truly, everything He did was by faith. That is, He said and did only those things that the Father told Him: "Then Jesus said...I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me...." (Jn. 8:28). "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak" (Jn. 12:49).

Our Lord said, "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me" (Jn. 6:38). In this dispensation of grace under the New Covenant we should take heed to the words that Jesus spoke to the Eleven who had been prepared over a period of three years: "As my Father hath sent me, even so send I you."

The persuasion for Christians to keep the Law does not come from God (Gal. 5:8).

The New Testament is very clear concerning the fact that Christians are not under the Law, which, of course, includes what is called the Ten Commandments, but because of the apostasy and demonic false teaching this truth has become obscure in the teaching and training of many Christians, even eminent church leaders.

This has affected the practical lives of many Christians including holding occupations that violate the higher calling of the New Covenant.

We are pilgrims and strangers; our citizenship is in heaven; we are in the world but not of the world. Our task is to make disciples and call them to be separate and holy unto Christ.

The apostle Paul, a Jew who was of the tribe of Benjamin, a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee, said he was not under the Law (1 Cor. 9:20 NIV, NASB), so, do you think you are under the Law?

The Mosaic Law was given to Israel, not Israel and the surrounding nations (Deut. 5:1, 6:3, 4).

Another false teaching is in regard to keeping the Sabbath, which is the fourth commandment of the Decalogue. Most Christian Sabbatarians break the Sabbath every week.

Under the Law, instruction is given for observing the Sabbath. For example, "Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day" (Ex. 35:3). God's people "found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day...and the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without [outside] the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses" (Num. 15:32-36).

Let us look at several verses that should remove the scales from the eyes of even a nominal Christian who has been led astray concerning thinking that he is under the Law including the Ten Commandments.

First, we need to know how long was the Old Testament law in effect? That question is answered in Luke 16:16a: "The law and the prophets were until John [the Baptizer]." Of course, the Jews are still living under the Law because they are refusing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul said in the epistle to the Romans that, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth" (10:4).

Second, it was God's design for the Old Covenant to be replaced by the New. The writer to the Hebrews tells us, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second" (8:7). Just prior to this we are told that Jesus, who is our High Priest, "is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises" (8:6).

Third, we need to answer the question, What was the function of the Law? Paul tells us in the epistle to the Galatians: "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed [Jesus Christ] should come to who the promise was made....Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster" (3:19-25).

Fourth, we are living by grace under the New Covenant. Grace is the desire and power to do God's will. In the Gospel of John, God tells us that "the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (1:17).

Fifth, because we are not under the Law, does this mean that we can do what we want to? The inspired apostle Paul said, "Sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the [Old Covenant] law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid" (Rom. 6:14-15).

Sixth and last, what did Jesus mean when He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15)? Jesus said to keep His commandments, NOT keep the Mosaic Law. There are approximately 180 New Testament commandments. We are commanded to obey God in these things that are clearly written in the New Testament. If we do not obey these commandments it is irrefutable proof that we do not love Jesus Christ.

Harry Bethel
http://www.bethelministries.com/ten_commandments.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement