Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Where the "Ten Commandments" Before Mt Sinai?

Author Topic: Where the "Ten Commandments" Before Mt Sinai?
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ENOUGH SAID !

[thumbsup2]

[hug]

[wave3]
[wave3]
[wave3]
[wave3]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick and choose huh Brother Dale..Most say OT is no longer today...done away....but when it suits them..quote from it..

Youcannot love your enemies and kill them also,
you cannot love someone and pull the electric chair switch on them.....

there are Assb of God churches here with saved folks and france with saved folks, can i join an army and shoot to kill my "BROTHER" much less my enemny...NOPE

NEw Testemant covenant teaches to "LOVE" your enemies, do good to those that persecute you and despitefully use you... hummmm

No place for armed services here as far as i see!

It is no longer an eye for an eye, or tooth for tooth ...is it my Brother?

i see exactly where your coming from Brother Dale..

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
quote:
But the commandments of the New Covenant must be spiritually discerned. The natural man will not understand such commandments as "Love your enemy." Only the Holy Spirit can bring a human heart into obedience to commandments like those of the New Covenant.

The heart of God is much bigger than the Ten Commandments that He had to give to sinful people.

that is correct, that is why you will never find Yahweh's people with a weapon in their hands defending any earthly kingdom.
Humm is that so?

Nehemiah, Chapter 4, 017: They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the law of Moses was not the law in the heart of God. "It was added because of transgressions" and served to preserve the people through whom Christ would arise. When the Seed came the law was fulfilled: the advent of the Son proved that it (the law) accomplished its work.

Under the original covenant the sons knew the work of the Father. His heart toward them was shared spirit to spirit, from moment to moment and required no scripture study to discern His will. Indeed, there was none to study. That is why we are reminded that faith comes by hearing (not reading) and hearing by the word of God. And people before the scriptures were written were noted to have righteousness (Abraham et al) because they believed God and lived as such. God spoke to them directly...just like the only begotten Son, the first among many sons, heard directly from His Father; our father, too.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is quite simple:

Deut 5:1-5

1. And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: "Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments (what are these statutes and judgments?) which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them.

2. "The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

Ok. He's talking about a covenant God made with the people.

3. "The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.

So, whatever covenant God made with the people at Horeb it is certainly NOT the covenant God made with the fathers of the Israelites: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

4. "The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire.

Moses recounts what happened.

5. "I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain. He said:

Any guesses what follows? The Ten Commandments.

In short: the 10 Commandments were given to the people at Horeb (Moses and the Jews) within a different covenant from the one given to Abraham Isaac and Jacob.

The covenant at Horeb required the response of the Jews. God kept His part of the covenant ("I will make you a nation.") but the Jews could not keep their's. Consequently, they became slaves to the law. The law only produces slaves.

The covenant that included Abraham was established between God and God (Hebrews 6:13, Genesis 22:16), the payment of which occurred from the foundation of the earth (Revelation 13:8). God walked between the slaughtered animals and never required the same from Abraham (Genesis 15). Abraham, then, received the promise without ever paying the price. The promise of that covenant was sonship, fully paid by The Son before the foundation of the world (in eternity) and seen by all men about 2000 years ago on the cross(in time). All who believe God in this, as Abraham did, will receive the promise.

that is correct Aaron they will receive the promise. the promise Yahweh would enable those who except that final Blood sacrifice to have heart transplant with a heart with the Law of Yahweh written upon it!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the commandments of the New Covenant must be spiritually discerned. The natural man will not understand such commandments as "Love your enemy." Only the Holy Spirit can bring a human heart into obedience to commandments like those of the New Covenant.

The heart of God is much bigger than the Ten Commandments that He had to give to sinful people.

that is correct, that is why you will never find Yahweh's people with a weapon in their hands defending any earthly kingdom.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is quite simple:

Deut 5:1-5

1. And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: "Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments (what are these statutes and judgments?) which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them.

2. "The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

Ok. He's talking about a covenant God made with the people.

3. "The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.

So, whatever covenant God made with the people at Horeb it is certainly NOT the covenant God made with the fathers of the Israelites: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

4. "The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire.

Moses recounts what happened.

5. "I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain. He said:

Any guesses what follows? The Ten Commandments.

In short: the 10 Commandments were given to the people at Horeb (Moses and the Jews) within a different covenant from the one given to Abraham Isaac and Jacob.

The covenant at Horeb required the response of the Jews. God kept His part of the covenant ("I will make you a nation.") but the Jews could not keep their's. Consequently, they became slaves to the law. The law only produces slaves.

The covenant that included Abraham was established between God and God (Hebrews 6:13, Genesis 22:16), the payment of which occurred from the foundation of the earth (Revelation 13:8). God walked between the slaughtered animals and never required the same from Abraham (Genesis 15). Abraham, then, received the promise without ever paying the price. The promise of that covenant was sonship, fully paid by The Son before the foundation of the world (in eternity) and seen by all men about 2000 years ago on the cross(in time). All who believe God in this, as Abraham did, will receive the promise.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ten Commandments, keep the Sabbath, observe the Feasts of the Lord, pay tithes...all these are easy to understand. Anyone can understand what they mean. Anyone, even an unbeliever, could outwardly obey them.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
quote:
Where the "Ten Commandments" Before Mt Sinai?
In the Heart of Yahweh
Thats fuzzy and the right thingy to say-e, but...

Job, Chapter 38, 004: Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where the "Ten Commandments" Before Mt Sinai?
In the Heart of Yahweh

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
If you believe Brother Drew that everything that comes out of the website "link" url that you posted is false, why would you post the link?

If i thought the article was false, i would have refuted the article by point of scripture, to knowingly post what you believe to be a "false" website would endanger newbies would it not sir?

Just my observation...My Brother

#1 It was important to show the corrupt source for the volume of material which you had posted.

#2 We have far better things to do then repudiating the error of cults on a point by point, scripture by scripture basis, like rearranging my sock drawer.

At NO TIME prior to the Children of Israel in the wilderness, under Moses, did man keep the Sabbath. Not one scripture declares otherwise. For the false teachers to vainly attempt to teach sabbath keeping by Abraham, Issac, Jacob, is to teach error.

To wrestle scripture in order to superimpose the Mosaic Law over scripture prior to Moses is blatant error perpetrated by false teachers.

Luv U Drew and BigC. Maybe, just maybe the baseball fans will start coming back.

I never seen the bleachers so empty since that other worm that spammed the board with his Knee teachings.

Nope? then again the last week has had the lowest bleacher count Ive seen to date.

Hey any ways. Im on my 4th venison loading of the frezzers.Hehe! Going back out in a few , keep up the good work.
[rapture]

--------------------
That is all.....

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you believe Brother Drew that everything that comes out of the website "link" url that you posted is false, why would you post the link?

If i thought the article was false, i would have refuted the article by point of scripture, to knowingly post what you believe to be a "false" website would endanger newbies would it not sir?

#1 It was important to show the corrupt source for the volume of material which you had posted.

#2 We have far better things to do then repudiating the error of cults on a point by point, scripture by scripture basis, like rearranging my sock drawer.

At NO TIME prior to the Children of Israel in the wilderness, under Moses, did man keep the Sabbath. Not one scripture declares otherwise. For the false teachers to vainly attempt to teach sabbath keeping by Abraham, Issac, Jacob, is to teach error.

To wrestle scripture in order to superimpose the Mosaic Law over scripture prior to Moses is blatant error perpetrated by false teachers.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

barry, why would you post articles copied from a known cult site? Do you think that hiding the URL somehow makes it acceptable? Doing that only suggests that your motives are questionable.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
barrykind

According to that logic, we could post articles from Catholic websites.

Or Mormon websites, or JW, or any other cult.

Cult teachings are not welcome at the Christian BBS.

It reminds me of Pepe Lapu painting out the white stench line on his tail but never able to get rid of the smell.

-

Only other Lapu's can enjoy the stench. Of coarse there are the ALTRA LAPU's, those that try to spray some religious deodorant on it to make it palatable from a distance.

--------------------
That is all.....

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barrykind

According to that logic, we could post articles from Catholic websites.

Or Mormon websites, or JW, or any other cult.

Cult teachings are not welcome at the Christian BBS.

And you don't have permission to copy articles from that website anyway...

"COGwriter, Cogwriter, and cogwriter are unregistered trademarks developed by B. Thiel in 1998. All rights reserved (on all pages)."

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

What you said is true myfreind, but show me where the error in the post is..

Armstrongism..certainly in its entireity has many false teachings...but i read all of this thread post and did not see any false teachings.

If you did please point them out and i will gladly recant..

[hug]

Funny when i first read and posted both these articles i thought cog was the "Church of God" like Pentecostal "Church of God", which i dont agree with the "oneness" doctrine i posted..
After further reading on the sight, i come to the conclusion it was a Reformed wwcog BY HW Armstrong, but i looked at the scripture references again and did not see error..

Its not about Armstrongism, is it Drew? i see it as following what the Lord told us to do..If we love HIM "keep" His commandments..

Thats all...but i will go over them both again..
[type]

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I dont know much about HWA, other than i heard he was a false prophet..

Does that make all the material coming from ther false?

i dont think so.
He started wwcog, i think he is now dead.

i do not know this man either..B. Thiel,
He wrote the article, but that does not make the article false does it?

#1 It is disingenuous to post an article without providing the source.

#2 The source for your article, its premise, its manipulation/interpretation of scriptures comes out of the cult of Armstrongism.

#3 Wastewater is 99.99% pure water, but that does not make it palatable. Your borrowed article is far far less than 99.99% true, and neither true exegesis nor palatable for a Believer.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

I dont know much about HWA, other than i heard he was a false prophet..

Does that make all the material coming from ther false?

i dont think so.
He started wwcog, i think he is now dead.

i do not know this man either..B. Thiel,
He wrote the article, but that does not make the article false does it?

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry the source of your posted material is coming out of the cult founded by Herbert W. Armstrong.

http://www.lcg.org/about-us.shtml

[quote

The Living Church of God is a new organization with an old history. The Presiding Evangelist, Dr. Roderick C. Meredith, was one of the original evangelists ordained by the late Herbert W. Armstrong in December 1952. For more than half a century, Dr. Meredith has powerfully proclaimed the truth of God to millions through his hundreds of articles and booklets. He has conducted personal evangelistic campaigns throughout the United States, Canada, and the British Isles. Additionally, he has broadcast over radio and television to the whole English-speaking world.

[/quote]

quote:

The Living Church of God bases its beliefs on the Holy Bible, the inspired Word of God. Our doctrines, practices, policies and traditions have their roots in the Worldwide Church of God under the leadership of Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong who, in 1952, ordained Roderick C. Meredith (our Presiding Evangelist) as one of that organization’s first evangelists.

Scripture says that we must "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18). Within that biblical mandate, the Presiding Evangelist and Council of Elders of the Living Church of God, led by the Holy Spirit, have the responsibility to clarify and establish doctrine, as expressed in this Official Statement of Fundamental Beliefs.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Here is the URL to Barry's article from the Church of God website, Herbert W. Armstrong's legacy:

http://www.cogwriter.com/ten.htm

quote:

Were the Ten Commandments in Effect Before Mount Sinai?

By COGwriter

Some, in their effort to justify not observing the ten commandments, have argued that the ten commandments were not enjoined in the Bible prior to Mount Sinai (Ex 20:2-17). This, however, is not biblically correct. As this article will show (through biblical quotes) all ten of the commandments are mentioned as being applicable in the Bible before they were codified on Mount Sinai. (Note the quotes from God in the Old Testament are in purple and the quotes from Jesus in the New Testament are in red.)

Commandment 1: "I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur" (Gen 15:7); "I am Almighty God, walk before me and be blameless" (Gen 17:1); "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (Ex 3:6). "Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves" (Gen 35:2). "and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD" (Ex 12:12). "Now I know that the LORD is greater than all the gods; for in the very thing in which they behaved proudly, He was above them" (Ex 18:11). "This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgement, for I would have denied God who is above" (Job 31:28). "Then Job answered the LORD and said, 'I know that you can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from you'" (Job 42:1-2).

Commandment 2: "'Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves'...So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and the earrings which were in their ears and Jacob hid them" (Gen 35:2,4). "And you shall not let any of your descendants pass through the fire of Molech...for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled" (Lev 18:21,27). "If I have observed the sun when it shines, or the moon moving in its brightness, so that my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand; This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgement, For I would have denied God who is above" (Job 31:27-28) (note this is believed to be part of idol worship)....

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is our Sabbath. Honor Jesus, and you honor the Sabbath.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were the Ten Commandments in Effect Before Mount Sinai?

Some, in their effort to justify not observing the ten commandments, have argued that the ten commandments were not enjoined in the Bible prior to Mount Sinai (Ex 20:2-17). This, however, is not biblically correct. As this article will show (through biblical quotes) all ten of the commandments are mentioned as being applicable in the Bible before they were codified on Mount Sinai. (Note the quotes from God in the Old Testament are in purple and the quotes from Jesus in the New Testament are in red.)

Commandment 1: "I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur" (Gen 15:7); "I am Almighty God, walk before me and be blameless" (Gen 17:1); "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (Ex 3:6). "Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves" (Gen 35:2). "and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD" (Ex 12:12). "Now I know that the LORD is greater than all the gods; for in the very thing in which they behaved proudly, He was above them" (Ex 18:11). "This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgement, for I would have denied God who is above" (Job 31:28). "Then Job answered the LORD and said, 'I know that you can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from you'" (Job 42:1-2).

Commandment 2: "'Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves'...So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and the earrings which were in their ears and Jacob hid them" (Gen 35:2,4). "And you shall not let any of your descendants pass through the fire of Molech...for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled" (Lev 18:21,27). "If I have observed the sun when it shines, or the moon moving in its brightness, so that my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand; This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgement, For I would have denied God who is above" (Job 31:27-28) (note this is believed to be part of idol worship).

Commandment 3: "nor shall you profane the name of your God...for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled" (Lev 18:21,27). "It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts" (Job 1:5). "Curse God and die!" (Job 2:9). Interestingly, those called of God are not to be cursed either, "And I will curse him who curses you" (Gen 12:3).

Commandment 4: "And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Gen 2:2-3). "Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD...So the people rested on the seventh day" (Ex 16:23,30). "The Sabbath was made for man" (Mar 2:27).

Commandment 5: "Adam, the son of God" (Luk 3:38), "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat it of it": Cursed is the ground for your sake" (Gen 3:17). Notice that later a blessing of land is promised for those who obey this commandment (Ex 20:12; Deut 5:16).

Commandment 6: "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning" (Joh 8:44) (since the devil was a murderer from the beginning it seems clear that murder was not allowed before Mount Sinai). "Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him...And He said, 'The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground. So now you are cursed from the earth" (Gen 4:8,10). "Then the king of Egypt spoke...'When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him'...But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them" (Ex 1:15-17). "The murderer rises with the light; He kills the poor and needy" (Job 24:14).

Commandment 7: "his master's wife cast longing eyes on Joseph, and she said, 'Lie with me.' But he refused...'How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?'" (Gen 39:7-9). "Moreover, you shall not lie carnally with your neighbor's wife to defile yourself with her...for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled" (Lev 18:20,27).

"The eye of the adulterer waits for the twilight, saying, 'No one will see me'; and he disguises his face" (Job 24:15). Job, a married man, said, "I have made a covenant with my eyes; Why then should I look upon a young woman?" (Job 31:1).

Commandment 8: "So my righteousness will answer for me...everyone that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the lambs, will be considered stolen, if it is with me" (Gen 30:33). "'With whomever you find your gods, do not let him live. In the presence of our brethren identify what I have of yours and take it with you.' For Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen them" (Gen 31:32). "How then could we steal silver or gold from your lord's house. With whomever of your servants it is found, let him die" (Gen 44:8-9). "He kills the poor and needy; And in the night he is like a thief" (Job 24:14).

Commandment 9: "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it " (Joh 8:44). "Then the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die"...The woman said, 'The serpent deceived me, and I ate'. So the LORD God said to the serpent: 'Because you have done this, You are cursed'"(Gen 3:4,13-14). "But you forgers of lies, You are all worthless physicians" (Job 13:4). "Now if it is not so, who will prove me a liar, And make my speech worth nothing?" (Job 24:25). "My lips will not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit" (Job 27:4). "Should I lie concerning my right?" (Job 34:6). "For truly my words are not false" (Job 36:4).

Commandment 10: "So when the woman saw...a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate" (Gen 3:6). "Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" (Gen 6:5); because this law in effect God decided to destroy humankind with the flood (Gen 6:7). "The enemy has said, "My desire (AV "lust") shall be satisfied on them" (Ex 15:9). "Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness" (Ex 18:21). "I have made a covenant with my eyes; Why then should I look upon a young woman?" (Job 31:1). "If my heart has been enticed by a woman, or if I have lurked at my neighbors door, then let my wife grind for another, and let others bow down over her. For that would be wickedness; yes it would be deserving of judgement" (Job 31:9-11)

Did Any Non-Israelites Keep the Sabbath and Other Commandments Prior to Mount Sinai?

One argument against the ten commandments in general, and the Sabbath in particular, is that none allegedly kept them prior to Mount Sinai. Of course, as shown above, this is simply not the case.

There are two additional items that may be of interest here.

First notice what God said to Abraham:

Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws (Genesis 26:5).

And there is no way that Abraham kept God's laws and commandments unless he knew what they were.

It has been reported that Ethiopia has more people who keep some version of the seventh-day Sabbath than any other country on earth. Notice how long they claim to have been observing it:

W. W. Oliphant, an African church leader in the early years of the twentieth century says that the "Sabbath in Ethiopia [has] been kept from the days of Nimrod, about 2140 B.C. (read Gen. 10:8, 10), that is 700 years before the birth of Moses. . . . Africans or Ethiopians had been Sabbath observers from the days of Nimrod" (Quoted in Bradford C.E. Sabbath Roots, The African Connection. L. Brown and Sons, Barre (VT), 1999, p. 26).

Hence, it Ethiopians were keeping the Sabbath in 2140 B.C., they obviously knew about it and probably the other commandments (more on Africa can be found in the article Africa: Its Biblical Past and Prophesied Future). Thus it appears that Africans were familiar with the idea of a seventh-day Sabbath prior to the giving of the ten commandments on Mount Sinai.

This makes total sense as God set-apart the Sabbath the day after creating humans.

Other Parts of the Bible Prior to Mount Sinai Also Teach the Importance of Keeping the Ten Commandments

Notice the following:

"How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?" (Ex 16:28).

There are other biblical examples, but the above scriptures prove the point. Isn't it interesting that God made sure that each of the ten commandments was shown to be important before Mount Sinai? Even the ancients knew,

"God is mighty...He also opens their ear to instruction, and commands that they turn from iniquity...But if they do not obey, they shall perish" (Job 36:5,10,11).

Notice what the Bible teaches:

"Sin is lawlessness" (I John 3:4)

or as it says in the AV "trangression of the law".

Breaking the third and seventh commandments are specifically listed as sin prior to Mount Sinai.

How could there be sin if there was no law, since "sin is not imputed when there is no law?" (Rom 5:13). If the law was not in place, there would have been none who were "hating covetousness" (Ex 18:21).

Paul apparently agreed with these positions when he wrote,

"I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, 'You shall not covet'" (Rom 7:7).

For more information about Paul, please see the article titled, What Did Paul Teach About the Ten Commandments?.

Even Martin Luther admitted that the ten commandments were before Moses. Notice

For even if a Moses had never appeared and Abraham had never been born, the Ten Commandments would have had to rule in all men from the very beginning, as they indeed did and still do (Luther, M. Against the Sabbatarians:Letter to a Good Friend, Part II, 1538).

The fruits of this sin are afterwards the evil deeds which are forbidden in the Ten Commandments...we hold that the Law was given by God, first, to restrain sin by threats and the dread of punishment, and by the promise and offer of grace and benefit (Luther Martin. The Smallclad Papers. 1537. Translated by F. Bente and W. H. T. Dau Published in: _Triglot Concordia: The Symbolical Books of the Ev. Lutheran Church_. (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1921), pp. 453-529).

Some have argued, that even if the ten commandments are mentioned throughout the Bible that since they are not listed in one place until Exodus 20, no one would have known what they were. This is particularly strange to argue since

1) All are mentioned at least twice before Exodus 20,
2) Abraham obeyed them and must have known what they were ("Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws", Gen 26:5)
3) Job seemed to know them since he mentions most of them (see above quotes and the more detailed article Job and the Ten Commandments),
4) God said, about peoples who existed prior to Mount Sinai and broke several of the commandments (and were not at Mount Sinai), "For the land is defiled , therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitant" (Lev 18:25), thus it is clear that God considered violating the commandments to be wrong prior to Mount Sinai and that God required that non-Israelites were to have kept them! Interestingly Noah knew what clean and unclean animals were, yet clean and unclean animals are not listed in the Bible as such until Leviticus 11; remember God told Noah "You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female, two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female" (Gen 7:2).)

In conclusion, it is clear that all the ten commandments were shown to be in effect prior to Mount Sinai. It would appear to be dangerous to ignore this biblical truth, "For if we sin willfully after we have received knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins" (Heb 10:26).

P.S. Some have said the ten commandments were done away at the crucifixion. The article Were the Ten Commandments Nailed to the Cross? addresses scriptures on this important subject.

B. Thiel,

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement