Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What it means to walk in the Spirit

Author Topic: What it means to walk in the Spirit
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see my other posts

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Law is Holy. But it was given to Israel, not to us.

Obedience to the New Testament commandments though, I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
At least this post you made is more on subject although crudly wrong!

Sorry try again Sister.

LOL

So do you really believe that it's wrong to walk in the Spirit?

But of coarse. All love to walk on the water, but when sinking in the sillyness of self, need a boat.

The Law does make good timber.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry try again Sister.

LOL

So do you really believe that it's wrong to walk in the Spirit?

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
quote:
WALK IN THE SPIRIT

Many Christians are so burdened with the heavy load of law. They are bent low with such a sorrowful sense of failing. They always talk about what a “wretch” they are, or they simply try to ignore how far short they fall from the standard they believe the Bible teaches them to live. I would rather talk about the victory I have in Jesus than the failure I am certain to experience in the flesh. Law makes you focus on yourself. Grace allows you to focus on Jesus.

For those who think they have at least ten things to live up to, I have great news. There is only ONE thing you must do to be successful in your Christian walk. WALK IN THE SPIRIT. If you do this one thing consistently your whole life will change. It is “easy.” It is “light.” Or else Jesus lied to us. You will handle ONE thing a lot better than you will succeed in ten things.

“WALK” is a very simple word. The term lines up with the comment, or exhortation of Paul towards the end of the letter to the Galatians in 5:25, where he says, “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”

How do we do that? It is obviously stressed in the Scriptures that we walk in the Spirit. I think we should find on examination that either every letter, or almost every letter, in the New Testament that discusses living in the Spirit, has moved on to discussing walking in the Spirit.

So it’s quite plain that the Spirit of God expects us not only to live but to walk—not only to claim to live but to walk it out. Just to give an instance or two, we can turn to Romans 8 where for the first time the word “walk” comes in, “who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.”

We pass through Galatians and we come right up against “walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16. Then there is this verse, “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25.

We move into Ephesians and we are taken up into the ascended life, and then we are brought down, “I therefore the prisoner of the Lord beseech ye that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called.” Ephesians 4:1. “Walk in love, walk as children of light, walk circumspectly.” Ephesians 5:2, 8, 15. So the note is struck again and again in Ephesians.

Colossians takes us up to the headship of Christ and then it says in Col. 2:6, “As therefore ye have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.”

I Thes. 4:1, after He has given those delightful heart outpourings to that young church in its early days, He says, “as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God.”

And then you get on into John’s epistles, which are full of the walk in the strongest possible terms. “He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” And, in his second and third letters, he constantly says he delights that his converts, his children, walk in truth. That comes two or three times over, or words to that effect.

So we have sufficient proof that the Holy Spirit has a great deal to say to us and to impress upon us concerning the walk. So it is good that we spend some time meditating on it.

THIS IS A PRESENT TENSE ACTIVITY

Remember, Jesus said it is “easy” and it is “light.” (Mat. 11:28) Even a child can understand it. (Mat. 18:3) Our “labor” or our “struggle” is to enter into that rest. The flesh refuses to rest. (Heb. 4:9-11)

The first very simple lesson that simplifies things for me is the fact that the whole meaning of the walk is that it is a present-tense activity. The whole meaning of it is that it is a present tense, a down to earth, immediate, present activity. I am now walking—that’s the idea. You are walking NOW, not in the future, not in the past, but in the present. You are walking now—walking in fellowship with Jesus now.

So it brings us down to the present tense and I find it helpful to remember that there is only one tense that really makes sense in the Christian life. There is only one tense and it is the present. The only tense we are really responsible for is the present. We are to live in the present. A great many of our diversions come because we are pulled back to the past, or forward to the future.

We’re often pulled back to the past by the condemnations of the Satan, the Accuser, who works through our flesh. He smears the simplicity of our present walk by reminding us, “Oh, you’re no good; why, you sinned yesterday; you’re selfish, you’re proud, you’re this and that. You can’t walk consistently.” Satan dulls our presence with Jesus by his false accusations through our flesh.

Now, I’m not to take a single word for one minute from the past, because “there is now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.” The whole past is forever blotted out in the Precious Blood for “as far as the East is from the West, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12. They are cast into the depths of the sea. I’m not to take Satan’s condemnation! The only sense in which I am to take the past is if I am conscious that I have just sinned, specifically sinned on a specific point; not a general point that I am generally proud, or generally selfish, or those lies Satan gives my fleshly mind. I’m not. I’m in Christ. I’m not going to take that lie. I’m in Christ and crucified with Him. I’m not going to take that smear from the past, but if there is something I may just have committed this morning and I know it is sin, well then, certainly I must face up and put that right. But I can do it in one second. That’s a thing I can do at the present. I can immediately put that right and immediately have cleansing—and walk!

So I’m to learn, not to add to my other sins the sin of unbelief by denying the efficacy of the Precious Blood because the Precious Blood (Christ’s death) is effective right up to this present moment. As I stand here, all that matters to me at this present moment is that I am consciously in the presence of Jesus as I write this email now. That’s all. That’s walking. I’m walking now, as you are walking as you sit there reading this email. Now am I, just at this moment as far as I know, with nothing between me and my Lord? Has the Blood blotted out every sin there was? As far as I know it has. Very well then, I walk. As for the Past, as for the Future, leave them alone!

As for the future, leave it with the One to whom it belongs—God. We’re specifically told, “Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” (Matt. 6:34) I don’t know if that’s one of The Lord’s ironical sayings, because when you walk with Him evil becomes His good because you get it from His hands. So the evil becomes His good when you walk in the present, not in the past or the future.

Most of our troubles, of course, are fears of the future, not what things are in the present. It’s a very simple lesson, but very blessed when you get it. It frees us; we become simple as a child. We’re just happily walking now with Jesus. I won’t take anything from the past. I won’t take anything from the future. The past is under the Blood, the future is in God’s hand, and the present is in mine with Him. And all I can do is to be present to Him; that’s all. And if I’ve nothing in between, then, all right, I’m not responsible. I’m just happy. That’s all. Just walk.

There is too much heavy talk about being responsible. Responsibility is a heavy word. I prefer RESPONSE-TO-HIS-ABILITY-IN-ME. That, to me, is far more Scriptural. I am “as a child” holding His hand as we walk together right NOW.

CONTINUAL ABIDING—Way of Walking with Jesus

How do we walk? What does walking mean? Let’s go to that verse which I have quoted from Colossians, “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.” Of course, walking is the walking in the fellowship—in Him, with Him.

The way Jesus spoke about walking was by another illustration—that of abiding. (John15) Now we all know in John 15 that His emphasis is not on how we get into the abiding relationship. He’s taken that for granted. In John 15, He says, “I am the vine, you are the branches.” He doesn’t discuss that. I presume He couldn’t discuss it because it was before the atonement and they didn’t have the inner light of the Spirit. Therefore it was not good for Him to go too far in discussions of that inner, mystical union that the Apostle Paul later reveals. It must come after Calvary, after the Resurrection, after Pentecost.. So He passes that by. He just says, “This is fact. I am the vine, ye are the branches.” We’re one organism, we’re one blessed life. He Himself within us, that’s the union.

Now He says, “What I am saying to you is, ‘Abide in the union.’” So all John 15 is saying is summed up in verse 4, “Abide in Me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself except it abide in the vine, no more can ye except ye abide in Me.” Verse 5. “I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in Me and I in Him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for apart from Me ye can do nothing.” “If a man abide not in Me, certain consequences follow.” Verse 7. “If ye abide in Me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you.”

So we see quite clearly what His emphasis is. “Now continue in Me.” The word “abide” is the same as continue, the same as remain. Continue now in me. Now that’s how you put the walk; that’s the same as walking. “Continue now in Me.” “Abide in Me.” I suppose the simplest explanation we can give of what He means is that abiding in Him is seeing Him. Now He is in us and we in Him.

Now abiding in Him is the consciousness of His Presence, isn’t it? Seeing Him. If we’re really abiding in Him we have that consciousness. Now if we are to know how to abide in Him, all we have to know is how to maintain ourselves free from anything which interferes with that abiding. That abiding is automatic and continuous unless something interferes with it. Why? Because it is the ministry of the blessed Spirit. Why has the Spirit come into our hearts? To magnify the blessed Lord. He has only that one purpose, constantly, unceasingly to reveal to our hearts that glorious Presence, which produces all peace and power and everything else a person can know. That is what He is here for. Therefore, that’s the automatic consequence of our life—an invariable consequence because the Holy Spirit is an invariable Person, unless He is interfered with. Therefore, nothing can stop that abiding unless it is something that positively interferes with the Spirit.

Now that’s, perhaps, the most important lesson I have learned, to recognize that if there is the slightest cloud of any kind (whatever I might name it; whether I call it something physical or some oppression or any other of many names), if there is the slightest shade of a cloud between me and Him and the bright revelation of His Presence in my heart, it means I am interfering with the ministry of the Spirit. It is not that something automatic has come in. Things can’t come automatically into that relationship, as it’s a sacred citadel; things can’t enter automatically there; it’s a private place of its own; it’s a Holy of Holies. If there is a single thing that is clouding in the slightest way that brightness, there is something interfering with the Spirit; and I am responsible, because it can’t get there unless I have let it in.

Now that’s the point that has been so helpful to me—a new quickness and sharpness of recognition. “Hello, Hello, there is something wrong here. I’m not consciously abiding here.” Now that’s not the Spirit’s fault. He’s there. He’s permanent. He’s a well that always springs up into everlasting life. No, if there is something clouding there I have let something in because the flesh or Satan can’t get there unless I let him in. Oh no, that’s private property in there, praise God. He can’t get in there unless I let him in. “Now what’s up?”

And so it comes back to this very simple fact: the simple walk with Jesus is a happy, easy, free, daily, natural walk with Jesus only, coupled with it a sensitivity to sin and recognition that if there is a cloud, it is sin. That’s the point. The reason that we aren’t sensitive to sin is because we don’t call it sin, because we have other names for it, and we name the cloud something else and so it remains. The whole point is that God has given His remedy for sin, but He hasn’t given His remedy for excuses. And if we call a thing this or that, and the other, it remains this, that, and the other; and we remain in this, that, and the other too. If we’ve let something in which is interfering with that gracious work, that gracious ministry, we are grieving Him; but if we call it what it is, and “confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” And we’re free.

So the life becomes very simple, simply walking with Jesus but having the immediate readiness, quickness—not introspectiveness, not that—but if something does come in, just a readiness to say, “Hello, now there is something there. Let me smell that out, and then put it out via the Blood.” Yes that’s a good Scripture, “quick of scent.” We need to be quick of scent in this job as well as quick of sight.

A Single Eye—Full of Light

Matthew 6 talks about the body being full of light. It illustrates what I am talking about. Matt. 6:22-23 says, “The light of the body is the eye; if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.” Well, when your eye is single you see Jesus, of course. That’s the only point of having an eye, a spiritual eye, isn’t it—to see Jesus? And if my eye is single, it means I have a clear simple sight of Him and therefore I am full of light. Because He is there, therefore His Presence, His Peace, His Power, His Fullness, His Adequacy and everything is there.

All right, that’s obvious. That’s abiding. That’s walking now, that’s walking with Jesus. A single eye, a body full of light, abiding in Him is all there.

An Evil Eye—Needs Cleansing

Now what struck me with surprise is the next verse. “But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.” Now what struck me was this: the opposite of single is double. And therefore there is a sudden change by inspiration here, for it doesn’t say what we would think it would say, “If thine eye is double it’s full of darkness,” but it says, “If thine eye is evil.” Because if it said “double” we should find a good excuse: “Oh, I’ve a good reason for it being double! I’m not feeling well this morning, or my neighbor is a bit off, or something.” And I could find these rotten excuses for which there is no deliverance.

The evil is a different point. In other words, the Scripture says, “Whenever I don’t see Jesus I’m in evil.” Now I’ve got it. I’ve got it! Whatever sort of thing it is, if I’ve not a crystal clear sight of Jesus in my heart, through the ministry of the Spirit, it is evil. It’s not just double—somebody else’s fault, or my body, or this or that, or the other; it is evil. In other words, we shall begin to get a blessed deliverance when we begin to call a few more million things “sin” than what we usually call sin. And thank God it isn’t a burden to call a thing sin because He reveals sin to cleanse it, not to condemn us. And the law of sin is that it always veils Christ, and it always binds the sinner because Jesus said so. Jesus said, “Whosoever is committing a sin is thereby the servant of that sin, a slave.” Therefore, if I’m committing a sin, I’m a slave to that sin. I may call it anything I like on earth, but it still binds me. If I dislike you, I’m bound by my dislike. Although I may say you deserve it, I’m still bound by it. If I’m resentful, I’m bound by my resentment although I may say it is entirely somebody else’s fault. Whatever sin I commit, in spite of what I might blame for it, it binds me and it cuts off the Saviour. Therefore it is a blessed thing to see sin when it is revealed to us by that Person who shows it to us in order to cleanse it away, because He said, “I’ll show you the sin. And here’s the cleansing.” The immediate moment I’m ready to acknowledge it I’m free and walk on again.

So that’s the simplicity of the life. But it does mean sin-sensitiveness; that’s a tremendous verse isn’t it? “If my eye is single it is full of light; if it’s anything else but a single sight of Jesus, it is evil.” Let me call it what it is. A verse that lines up in my mind with that and is much the same is in Romans 14:23, the last phrase of the last verse. It says it in another connection but we can pick it out I think quite fairly and make it a general statement: “For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Well faith is seeing Jesus, of course. We have the faith of Jesus for we see Jesus. Of course we do. Faith is believing Jesus, seeing Him in our hearts, and knowing Him. That’s believing Jesus. So faith is seeing Jesus. “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin” is the same idea. The moment I am not seeing Jesus in a situation, the moment I am not seeing Christ in my neighbor, the moment I am not seeing Christ in a crisis, or Christ in a difficulty, I am sinning because it’s not of faith. I’m not seeing Jesus; I’m seeing something else. That’s evil. Not to see Jesus is evil. That’s big!

I’ve got to see Jesus in every circumstance, not a single circumstance but that it’s Jesus coming to me. That, I take it, is what Paul meant when he made that terrific statement around which I circle in my mind again and again and wonder at: “To me, to live is Christ.” That doesn’t leave much else, does it? “To me, to live is Christ.” That’s a single eye. That is SingleVISION living. Every circumstance, every person is just Christ to him. That’s this life. Anything less than that is sin, because it veils Him.

AVOID SELF IMPROVEMENT - REPLACE YOURSELF

Our great error is in thinking that our human selves can be improved. And we think this because we have a false concept of being responsible for self-development. This is contrary to the truth, but it comes from the spirit of error in our world system. Self-help books and How-to books line the shelves of even our Christian bookstores. But we already have perfection in our union with Christ. This is an eternal union with Him. This is our true identity.

We are called the body of Christ. The body is the expression of the head. The body is the instrument for the head to act. But the head and body are a unity. So Paul called the body Christ in 1 Corinthians 12:12, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.”

We are the branches in the Vine. The branch is the means by which the Vine can bear its fruit. But it is a unity and when we see a vine we really only see its straggling branches and we call that the vine. The branches are the vine in their branch forms and we are Christ expressed in our human forms.

We are called the temples of the living God, the buildings in which God may be seen; and we are the earthen vessels whose treasure is the Christ within. We are containers and the containers are not called on to improve or change. How would changing the outside container improve the treasure within? It is our “earthen ness” as vessels that magnifies the glory of His work through us.

As human selves, our only true place in creation is in our unity with God, as the means by which He manifests Himself through us. Apart from our destined place in the unity, we can only be self-loving selves. Therefore it is useless and a waste of time for us to ask God to make us loving, or patient or pure, or free us from human reactions of hate or fear or worry or depression. It is asking an absurdity and impossibility. The human self can never change. The vessel can never be the living water it contains. The branch cannot be the vine.

When that recognition is a reality to us, then we can start by accepting ourselves in our weakness and all normal human reactions. In this distorted world we are besieged all day long by fear and doubt and hate and worry, etc. To feel them is normal, not wrong. We shall always be responding to them. We hate or dislike this person. We are jealous of that one. We are afraid of what we are called on to do. We are worried by daily problems. We have fits of deep depression. Our minds are assaulted by all kinds of wrong thinking. If we struggle against them, how does that help? If we condemn ourselves for such reactions, we remain still bound and full of guilt. If we call on God to help or change us, we don’t get changed, or maybe just a momentary relief.

Then on what grounds can we accept ourselves? Now we are no longer just ourselves. As Christians, we are Christ-in-us. Christ is the real “we”. Listen to Paul. He starts by saying Christ died for us, then speaks of the Lord with us, and goes on to his special revelation of Christ in us; but he ends up, when he gives his personal witness, by saying Christ is the real “I”. “I live,” he says in Galatians 2:20. “No,” he corrects himself. “It is not I, but Christ living in me.” Christ, not with, not in, but replacing Paul, Christ in Paul’s form or Christ in your form or my form. Put your name there. You are Christ in John’s form, Christ in Mary’s form, I am Christ in Gene’s form, and so on.

Now, in light of this revelation, when we in our humanity are moved in this direction or that by our negative reactions (like hate, worry or fear) we don’t struggle, we don’t condemn, we above all don’t try to change ourselves (trying to be good is the worst sin); no, we REPLACE. We transfer our inner believing from what has its hold on us because we are believing in it (fear, lust, hate, etc.) and attach our believing to who we really are, not our human selves, but Christ in ourselves. And as we affirm and recognize Him, He Who is the peace, love, courage, purity, manifests Himself in and by us.

“When I am afraid,” David said, “I will trust in God.” Unlike David in the Old Covenant, God is within me as Christ-in-me. I won’t look away to some other place. That is separation. This is union. When I feel fear, I will replace that “I” with the true “I” (which is Christ-in-me) and I will express Him Who is courage. When I feel hate, I will replace that by expressing Him Who is in me, Him Who is love. I choose to believe what the Word says about who I really am. I will be who I really am, not fear or hate, but Christ-in-me as me. That is the truth of the Word of God and I will practice the “obedience of faith” (Romans 16:26) by believing it and acting as if it is so, because it is.

There is the secret of our WALK IN THE SPIRIT, discovering who we really are. We have come back home at last as the branch in the Vine and the Vine in the branch. Remember, “Abiding” in John 15 is, in the Greek, just ‘remaining.’ We remain by simple faith-recognition. Our sanctification or walk in the Spirit is realized the same as our salvation is realized, BY FAITH, by believing. Only when we are consciously weak, as Paul said, then His strength is perfectly manifested. When we fear, He is the courage. When we dislike, He is the love. And Paul goes as far as to say he personally takes pleasure in negative situations of weakness, hurts, needs, problems, for when he is weak, then he is strong.

Today we are just so bogged down in taking ourselves for granted as normal functioning people and we are so used to preserving an image that it is a second spiritual breakthrough for us to grasp the fact of helplessness. In our salvation we had come to acknowledge that we had not kept God’s law and were guilty sinners. But it is another thing, after becoming a Christian, to discover and admit in our sanctification that we are also helpless saints. We can’t do it and not only can’t but are not meant to.

That is the whole meaning of Paul saying we can have dominion over sin because we are not under the law. This is why there is that important chapter of Romans 7, which has been such a ground of puzzlement and controversy. Chapter 6 he says in Christ’s death we are cut off from the former control of the spirit of self-centeredness, “dead to sin.” In Romans 8 we see His Spirit replacing that former spirit in us and joins us to Christ in resurrection life. In between chapter 6 and chapter 8, chapter 7 says we are not only dead to sin, but also dead to the law. Why? Because if we are to function as living sons, we must know once and for all in what sense our human selves can be manifestations of Christ.

So, in Romans 7 we see the human self that now has God’s Spirit and delights in His law in the inward man and wills to do it and serves the law of God with the renewed mind. But what a seemingly sad discovery is made. He can’t do it. He just can’t do it. His discovery is he can’t do it because of “sin” in him. Sin in him is the spirit of self-sufficiency.

The moment we humans, not recognizing Christ in us as the only keeper of His own law, want ourselves to keep it and slip into this old habit of thinking we can do it, then down we fall. We can’t do what we would and find ourselves doing what we should not. Oh wretched man! And the law of God stands there to demand of us that we keep it, if we think we can! Then at last it dawns on us. Our human self is now a container of ANOTHER SELF, Christ, the Spirit of Christ.

We never were meant as humans to keep God’s laws of self-giving love. Left to our human selves we can only be ourselves and love ourselves. That is who we are without the exchanged life - we are a self-loving self. But this is just why Christ has come into us – to REPLACE the spirit of self-centeredness by which we have lived, “the flesh.” By ourselves we would still remain self-loving selves, but we are not our old selves any more. We are a “new creation” in Christ. By inner union, Christ is our real self.

So what do we do now? We tell the law it is no good its shouting at us, because we can’t fulfill it, were never meant to; but we contain the One Who can and does. So the law has not a thing more to say to us or demand of us. We are “dead to the law” in Christ. And now we are free by simple recognition that Christ in us, Christ as us, keeps His own law in us, so that “the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us” who are now walking by inner recognition of the Spirit and not recognition of that old self-effort.

It is your choice. Choose to WALK IN THE SPIRIT.

But We Can Improve ...

I do believe that a Christian can improve, not in merit, but in knowledge, i.e. intimate, experiential relationship knowledge of the indwelling Christ. As we study the Word of God and see what the Word tells us about Him and about who we are in Him, by grace through faith we come progressively to maturity in Him, not in personal worthiness, but in a knowing relationship with Him.

The primary thing is as Paul says, “to know Him.” This knowledge becomes our experience by faith. Hebrews 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe (have faith) that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him (not merit).” 1John 3:22 “and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name (or have faith in Who He is) of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as He commanded us.” Relationship growth is not only possible but is predestined. Romans 8 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son- “To know Him is eternal life” or a quality of life that I could have in no other way but by “knowing” Him.

Of course, we keep His commandments because He said, “If you love me you will keep my commandments.” This is accomplished through “being strong in the Lord and the power of His might.” Whatever we do or accomplish is His accomplishment in us. 1Corinthians 15:10 – “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.”

John even says, “The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.” That is the “how” of keeping His commandments, faith. 1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. In Romans, Paul refers to our obedience as the “obedience of faith.” As Paul told the Corinthians “because it is by faith you stand firm.” And “We live by faith, not by sight.”

Whatever we “need” in our Christian walk, He is that in us. If I “need more” love, He is going to be that love in me by the Holy Spirit. There really is no deficiency of love, just deficiency of “knowing.” The better I know Him, the more I will in relationship with Him express that love that He is in me by faith in what I have come to know is true. Peter commends us to grow, not in merit, but in knowledge (relationship knowledge). 1Peter 3:18 “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” If I “grow in grace” (unmerited favor), I am growing in my realization of my unworthiness. If I grow in knowledge of Him, I learn He in me has all the love I need. Romans 5:5 “because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” If I try to have a natural love, the best I can do is love a worthy object. Romans 5: 7 “Now it is an extraordinary thing for one to give his life even for an upright man, though perhaps for a noble and lovable and generous benefactor someone might even dare to die.” That is as much as natural love can achieve. Natural love must have a worthy object. God's love is the next verse - "But God shows and clearly proves His [own] love for us by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. " So Paul says, in Galatians 5:6 The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. And “everything that does not come from faith is sin.”

The wilderness wandering of the children of God is depicted in Hebrews 3 and 4. They did not enter into the “rest” that they were offered because of their “unbelief” or lack of faith. He says there remains a rest for the people of God and that we are to “labor” (struggle), not to get better at doing, but to “rest” from our sweaty efforts in the strength of the flesh and rely on the power of His might.

For 25 years I tried to serve by merit. If you had asked me, I would have denied it, but experiencing a terrible “fall”, I discovered that I was actually a Pharisee for all those years. I didn’t know I was until by my fall I thought I didn’t deserve to live, as if I ever had deserved to live. Then I knew.

I had read all the Puritan books and “Alarm to the Unconverted.” I read and preached the sermons of condemnation and the call to “try harder.” I hurt a lot of people by setting them up to fail, as any one has to fail who is “trying to DO better” in the flesh. I thought the more I could know intellectually the better Christian I would be, but I think Father was showing me the truth “so that our faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.” As Paul said, Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand.” The doing comes on the heels of believing.

The next 25 years became for me an opportunity to learn, experience and teach the faith-rest of the “easy yoke” and the “burden that is light.” In the wake of the first 25 years there were “bodies” lying all around. In the wake of the next 25 years I see people serving God in a freeness and a joy that is indescribable. Addictive personalities are no longer addicted. Abusive people stopped being abusive. Immoral Christians stopped being immoral. Alcoholics are now missionaries on the foreign field. Church dropouts are now active leaders in their churches. People who knew nothing but failure are now living a life of joy, peace, and successful witness for Christ.

I tell you, I am hooked. This is the most blessed ministry I have ever known and I will by the grace of God never stop as long as He gives me breath. Can I say it better? I have no doubt that someone else could say it better than I (perhaps my clients, the very ones that I have been referring to in this writing.) I do apologize for my poor ability, but I will not apologize for what I believe to be the truth of CHRIST IN US. As I tell my clients, I will keep working by His grace and His power so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. Ephesians 4:13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.”

http://www.seegod.org/walk_in_the_spirit.htm

Amen Sis!!

Galations 5:

[1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
[2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
[3] For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
[4] Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
[5] For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
[6] For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
[7] Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
[8] This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
[9] A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Barry your legalism is a yoke of bondage.

Its starting to go much further.

Have had better than The Barry that work out of contention.

His continued bomb bombardment of opinionated cut and post by vialed threat is very close to being on that thing that qualifies for Heretic great sillyness..

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WALK IN THE SPIRIT

Many Christians are so burdened with the heavy load of law. They are bent low with such a sorrowful sense of failing. They always talk about what a “wretch” they are, or they simply try to ignore how far short they fall from the standard they believe the Bible teaches them to live. I would rather talk about the victory I have in Jesus than the failure I am certain to experience in the flesh. Law makes you focus on yourself. Grace allows you to focus on Jesus.

For those who think they have at least ten things to live up to, I have great news. There is only ONE thing you must do to be successful in your Christian walk. WALK IN THE SPIRIT. If you do this one thing consistently your whole life will change. It is “easy.” It is “light.” Or else Jesus lied to us. You will handle ONE thing a lot better than you will succeed in ten things.

“WALK” is a very simple word. The term lines up with the comment, or exhortation of Paul towards the end of the letter to the Galatians in 5:25, where he says, “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”

How do we do that? It is obviously stressed in the Scriptures that we walk in the Spirit. I think we should find on examination that either every letter, or almost every letter, in the New Testament that discusses living in the Spirit, has moved on to discussing walking in the Spirit.

So it’s quite plain that the Spirit of God expects us not only to live but to walk—not only to claim to live but to walk it out. Just to give an instance or two, we can turn to Romans 8 where for the first time the word “walk” comes in, “who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.”

We pass through Galatians and we come right up against “walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16. Then there is this verse, “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25.

We move into Ephesians and we are taken up into the ascended life, and then we are brought down, “I therefore the prisoner of the Lord beseech ye that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called.” Ephesians 4:1. “Walk in love, walk as children of light, walk circumspectly.” Ephesians 5:2, 8, 15. So the note is struck again and again in Ephesians.

Colossians takes us up to the headship of Christ and then it says in Col. 2:6, “As therefore ye have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.”

I Thes. 4:1, after He has given those delightful heart outpourings to that young church in its early days, He says, “as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God.”

And then you get on into John’s epistles, which are full of the walk in the strongest possible terms. “He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” And, in his second and third letters, he constantly says he delights that his converts, his children, walk in truth. That comes two or three times over, or words to that effect.

So we have sufficient proof that the Holy Spirit has a great deal to say to us and to impress upon us concerning the walk. So it is good that we spend some time meditating on it.

Remember, Jesus said it is “easy” and it is “light.” (Mat. 11:28) Even a child can understand it. (Mat. 18:3) Our “labor” or our “struggle” is to enter into that rest. The flesh refuses to rest. (Heb. 4:9-11)

The first very simple lesson that simplifies things for me is the fact that the whole meaning of the walk is that it is a present-tense activity. The whole meaning of it is that it is a present tense, a down to earth, immediate, present activity. I am now walking—that’s the idea. You are walking NOW, not in the future, not in the past, but in the present. You are walking now—walking in fellowship with Jesus now.

So it brings us down to the present tense and I find it helpful to remember that there is only one tense that really makes sense in the Christian life. There is only one tense and it is the present. The only tense we are really responsible for is the present. We are to live in the present. A great many of our diversions come because we are pulled back to the past, or forward to the future.

We’re often pulled back to the past by the condemnations of the Satan, the Accuser, who works through our flesh. He smears the simplicity of our present walk by reminding us, “Oh, you’re no good; why, you sinned yesterday; you’re selfish, you’re proud, you’re this and that. You can’t walk consistently.” Satan dulls our presence with Jesus by his false accusations through our flesh.

Now, I’m not to take a single word for one minute from the past, because “there is now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.” The whole past is forever blotted out in the Precious Blood for “as far as the East is from the West, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12. They are cast into the depths of the sea. I’m not to take Satan’s condemnation! The only sense in which I am to take the past is if I am conscious that I have just sinned, specifically sinned on a specific point; not a general point that I am generally proud, or generally selfish, or those lies Satan gives my fleshly mind. I’m not. I’m in Christ. I’m not going to take that lie. I’m in Christ and crucified with Him. I’m not going to take that smear from the past, but if there is something I may just have committed this morning and I know it is sin, well then, certainly I must face up and put that right. But I can do it in one second. That’s a thing I can do at the present. I can immediately put that right and immediately have cleansing—and walk!

So I’m to learn, not to add to my other sins the sin of unbelief by denying the efficacy of the Precious Blood because the Precious Blood (Christ’s death) is effective right up to this present moment. As I stand here, all that matters to me at this present moment is that I am consciously in the presence of Jesus as I write this email now. That’s all. That’s walking. I’m walking now, as you are walking as you sit there reading this email. Now am I, just at this moment as far as I know, with nothing between me and my Lord? Has the Blood blotted out every sin there was? As far as I know it has. Very well then, I walk. As for the Past, as for the Future, leave them alone!

As for the future, leave it with the One to whom it belongs—God. We’re specifically told, “Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” (Matt. 6:34) I don’t know if that’s one of The Lord’s ironical sayings, because when you walk with Him evil becomes His good because you get it from His hands. So the evil becomes His good when you walk in the present, not in the past or the future.

Most of our troubles, of course, are fears of the future, not what things are in the present. It’s a very simple lesson, but very blessed when you get it. It frees us; we become simple as a child. We’re just happily walking now with Jesus. I won’t take anything from the past. I won’t take anything from the future. The past is under the Blood, the future is in God’s hand, and the present is in mine with Him. And all I can do is to be present to Him; that’s all. And if I’ve nothing in between, then, all right, I’m not responsible. I’m just happy. That’s all. Just walk.

There is too much heavy talk about being responsible. Responsibility is a heavy word. I prefer RESPONSE-TO-HIS-ABILITY-IN-ME. That, to me, is far more Scriptural. I am “as a child” holding His hand as we walk together right NOW.

CONTINUAL ABIDING—Way of Walking with Jesus

How do we walk? What does walking mean? Let’s go to that verse which I have quoted from Colossians, “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.” Of course, walking is the walking in the fellowship—in Him, with Him.

The way Jesus spoke about walking was by another illustration—that of abiding. (John15) Now we all know in John 15 that His emphasis is not on how we get into the abiding relationship. He’s taken that for granted. In John 15, He says, “I am the vine, you are the branches.” He doesn’t discuss that. I presume He couldn’t discuss it because it was before the atonement and they didn’t have the inner light of the Spirit. Therefore it was not good for Him to go too far in discussions of that inner, mystical union that the Apostle Paul later reveals. It must come after Calvary, after the Resurrection, after Pentecost.. So He passes that by. He just says, “This is fact. I am the vine, ye are the branches.” We’re one organism, we’re one blessed life. He Himself within us, that’s the union.

Now He says, “What I am saying to you is, ‘Abide in the union.’” So all John 15 is saying is summed up in verse 4, “Abide in Me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself except it abide in the vine, no more can ye except ye abide in Me.” Verse 5. “I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in Me and I in Him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for apart from Me ye can do nothing.” “If a man abide not in Me, certain consequences follow.” Verse 7. “If ye abide in Me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you.”

So we see quite clearly what His emphasis is. “Now continue in Me.” The word “abide” is the same as continue, the same as remain. Continue now in me. Now that’s how you put the walk; that’s the same as walking. “Continue now in Me.” “Abide in Me.” I suppose the simplest explanation we can give of what He means is that abiding in Him is seeing Him. Now He is in us and we in Him.

Now abiding in Him is the consciousness of His Presence, isn’t it? Seeing Him. If we’re really abiding in Him we have that consciousness. Now if we are to know how to abide in Him, all we have to know is how to maintain ourselves free from anything which interferes with that abiding. That abiding is automatic and continuous unless something interferes with it. Why? Because it is the ministry of the blessed Spirit. Why has the Spirit come into our hearts? To magnify the blessed Lord. He has only that one purpose, constantly, unceasingly to reveal to our hearts that glorious Presence, which produces all peace and power and everything else a person can know. That is what He is here for. Therefore, that’s the automatic consequence of our life—an invariable consequence because the Holy Spirit is an invariable Person, unless He is interfered with. Therefore, nothing can stop that abiding unless it is something that positively interferes with the Spirit.

Now that’s, perhaps, the most important lesson I have learned, to recognize that if there is the slightest cloud of any kind (whatever I might name it; whether I call it something physical or some oppression or any other of many names), if there is the slightest shade of a cloud between me and Him and the bright revelation of His Presence in my heart, it means I am interfering with the ministry of the Spirit. It is not that something automatic has come in. Things can’t come automatically into that relationship, as it’s a sacred citadel; things can’t enter automatically there; it’s a private place of its own; it’s a Holy of Holies. If there is a single thing that is clouding in the slightest way that brightness, there is something interfering with the Spirit; and I am responsible, because it can’t get there unless I have let it in.

Now that’s the point that has been so helpful to me—a new quickness and sharpness of recognition. “Hello, Hello, there is something wrong here. I’m not consciously abiding here.” Now that’s not the Spirit’s fault. He’s there. He’s permanent. He’s a well that always springs up into everlasting life. No, if there is something clouding there I have let something in because the flesh or Satan can’t get there unless I let him in. Oh no, that’s private property in there, praise God. He can’t get in there unless I let him in. “Now what’s up?”

And so it comes back to this very simple fact: the simple walk with Jesus is a happy, easy, free, daily, natural walk with Jesus only, coupled with it a sensitivity to sin and recognition that if there is a cloud, it is sin. That’s the point. The reason that we aren’t sensitive to sin is because we don’t call it sin, because we have other names for it, and we name the cloud something else and so it remains. The whole point is that God has given His remedy for sin, but He hasn’t given His remedy for excuses. And if we call a thing this or that, and the other, it remains this, that, and the other; and we remain in this, that, and the other too. If we’ve let something in which is interfering with that gracious work, that gracious ministry, we are grieving Him; but if we call it what it is, and “confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” And we’re free.

So the life becomes very simple, simply walking with Jesus but having the immediate readiness, quickness—not introspectiveness, not that—but if something does come in, just a readiness to say, “Hello, now there is something there. Let me smell that out, and then put it out via the Blood.” Yes that’s a good Scripture, “quick of scent.” We need to be quick of scent in this job as well as quick of sight.

Matthew 6 talks about the body being full of light. It illustrates what I am talking about. Matt. 6:22-23 says, “The light of the body is the eye; if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.” Well, when your eye is single you see Jesus, of course. That’s the only point of having an eye, a spiritual eye, isn’t it—to see Jesus? And if my eye is single, it means I have a clear simple sight of Him and therefore I am full of light. Because He is there, therefore His Presence, His Peace, His Power, His Fullness, His Adequacy and everything is there.

All right, that’s obvious. That’s abiding. That’s walking now, that’s walking with Jesus. A single eye, a body full of light, abiding in Him is all there.

Now what struck me with surprise is the next verse. “But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.” Now what struck me was this: the opposite of single is double. And therefore there is a sudden change by inspiration here, for it doesn’t say what we would think it would say, “If thine eye is double it’s full of darkness,” but it says, “If thine eye is evil.” Because if it said “double” we should find a good excuse: “Oh, I’ve a good reason for it being double! I’m not feeling well this morning, or my neighbor is a bit off, or something.” And I could find these rotten excuses for which there is no deliverance.

The evil is a different point. In other words, the Scripture says, “Whenever I don’t see Jesus I’m in evil.” Now I’ve got it. I’ve got it! Whatever sort of thing it is, if I’ve not a crystal clear sight of Jesus in my heart, through the ministry of the Spirit, it is evil. It’s not just double—somebody else’s fault, or my body, or this or that, or the other; it is evil. In other words, we shall begin to get a blessed deliverance when we begin to call a few more million things “sin” than what we usually call sin. And thank God it isn’t a burden to call a thing sin because He reveals sin to cleanse it, not to condemn us. And the law of sin is that it always veils Christ, and it always binds the sinner because Jesus said so. Jesus said, “Whosoever is committing a sin is thereby the servant of that sin, a slave.” Therefore, if I’m committing a sin, I’m a slave to that sin. I may call it anything I like on earth, but it still binds me. If I dislike you, I’m bound by my dislike. Although I may say you deserve it, I’m still bound by it. If I’m resentful, I’m bound by my resentment although I may say it is entirely somebody else’s fault. Whatever sin I commit, in spite of what I might blame for it, it binds me and it cuts off the Saviour. Therefore it is a blessed thing to see sin when it is revealed to us by that Person who shows it to us in order to cleanse it away, because He said, “I’ll show you the sin. And here’s the cleansing.” The immediate moment I’m ready to acknowledge it I’m free and walk on again.

So that’s the simplicity of the life. But it does mean sin-sensitiveness; that’s a tremendous verse isn’t it? “If my eye is single it is full of light; if it’s anything else but a single sight of Jesus, it is evil.” Let me call it what it is. A verse that lines up in my mind with that and is much the same is in Romans 14:23, the last phrase of the last verse. It says it in another connection but we can pick it out I think quite fairly and make it a general statement: “For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Well faith is seeing Jesus, of course. We have the faith of Jesus for we see Jesus. Of course we do. Faith is believing Jesus, seeing Him in our hearts, and knowing Him. That’s believing Jesus. So faith is seeing Jesus. “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin” is the same idea. The moment I am not seeing Jesus in a situation, the moment I am not seeing Christ in my neighbor, the moment I am not seeing Christ in a crisis, or Christ in a difficulty, I am sinning because it’s not of faith. I’m not seeing Jesus; I’m seeing something else. That’s evil. Not to see Jesus is evil. That’s big!

I’ve got to see Jesus in every circumstance, not a single circumstance but that it’s Jesus coming to me. That, I take it, is what Paul meant when he made that terrific statement around which I circle in my mind again and again and wonder at: “To me, to live is Christ.” That doesn’t leave much else, does it? “To me, to live is Christ.” That’s a single eye. That is SingleVISION living. Every circumstance, every person is just Christ to him. That’s this life. Anything less than that is sin, because it veils Him.

Our great error is in thinking that our human selves can be improved. And we think this because we have a false concept of being responsible for self-development. This is contrary to the truth, but it comes from the spirit of error in our world system. Self-help books and How-to books line the shelves of even our Christian bookstores. But we already have perfection in our union with Christ. This is an eternal union with Him. This is our true identity.

We are called the body of Christ. The body is the expression of the head. The body is the instrument for the head to act. But the head and body are a unity. So Paul called the body Christ in 1 Corinthians 12:12, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.”

We are the branches in the Vine. The branch is the means by which the Vine can bear its fruit. But it is a unity and when we see a vine we really only see its straggling branches and we call that the vine. The branches are the vine in their branch forms and we are Christ expressed in our human forms.

We are called the temples of the living God, the buildings in which God may be seen; and we are the earthen vessels whose treasure is the Christ within. We are containers and the containers are not called on to improve or change. How would changing the outside container improve the treasure within? It is our “earthen ness” as vessels that magnifies the glory of His work through us.

As human selves, our only true place in creation is in our unity with God, as the means by which He manifests Himself through us. Apart from our destined place in the unity, we can only be self-loving selves. Therefore it is useless and a waste of time for us to ask God to make us loving, or patient or pure, or free us from human reactions of hate or fear or worry or depression. It is asking an absurdity and impossibility. The human self can never change. The vessel can never be the living water it contains. The branch cannot be the vine.

When that recognition is a reality to us, then we can start by accepting ourselves in our weakness and all normal human reactions. In this distorted world we are besieged all day long by fear and doubt and hate and worry, etc. To feel them is normal, not wrong. We shall always be responding to them. We hate or dislike this person. We are jealous of that one. We are afraid of what we are called on to do. We are worried by daily problems. We have fits of deep depression. Our minds are assaulted by all kinds of wrong thinking. If we struggle against them, how does that help? If we condemn ourselves for such reactions, we remain still bound and full of guilt. If we call on God to help or change us, we don’t get changed, or maybe just a momentary relief.

Then on what grounds can we accept ourselves? Now we are no longer just ourselves. As Christians, we are Christ-in-us. Christ is the real “we”. Listen to Paul. He starts by saying Christ died for us, then speaks of the Lord with us, and goes on to his special revelation of Christ in us; but he ends up, when he gives his personal witness, by saying Christ is the real “I”. “I live,” he says in Galatians 2:20. “No,” he corrects himself. “It is not I, but Christ living in me.” Christ, not with, not in, but replacing Paul, Christ in Paul’s form or Christ in your form or my form. Put your name there. You are Christ in John’s form, Christ in Mary’s form, I am Christ in Gene’s form, and so on.

Now, in light of this revelation, when we in our humanity are moved in this direction or that by our negative reactions (like hate, worry or fear) we don’t struggle, we don’t condemn, we above all don’t try to change ourselves (trying to be good is the worst sin); no, we REPLACE. We transfer our inner believing from what has its hold on us because we are believing in it (fear, lust, hate, etc.) and attach our believing to who we really are, not our human selves, but Christ in ourselves. And as we affirm and recognize Him, He Who is the peace, love, courage, purity, manifests Himself in and by us.

“When I am afraid,” David said, “I will trust in God.” Unlike David in the Old Covenant, God is within me as Christ-in-me. I won’t look away to some other place. That is separation. This is union. When I feel fear, I will replace that “I” with the true “I” (which is Christ-in-me) and I will express Him Who is courage. When I feel hate, I will replace that by expressing Him Who is in me, Him Who is love. I choose to believe what the Word says about who I really am. I will be who I really am, not fear or hate, but Christ-in-me as me. That is the truth of the Word of God and I will practice the “obedience of faith” (Romans 16:26) by believing it and acting as if it is so, because it is.

There is the secret of our WALK IN THE SPIRIT, discovering who we really are. We have come back home at last as the branch in the Vine and the Vine in the branch. Remember, “Abiding” in John 15 is, in the Greek, just ‘remaining.’ We remain by simple faith-recognition. Our sanctification or walk in the Spirit is realized the same as our salvation is realized, BY FAITH, by believing. Only when we are consciously weak, as Paul said, then His strength is perfectly manifested. When we fear, He is the courage. When we dislike, He is the love. And Paul goes as far as to say he personally takes pleasure in negative situations of weakness, hurts, needs, problems, for when he is weak, then he is strong.

Today we are just so bogged down in taking ourselves for granted as normal functioning people and we are so used to preserving an image that it is a second spiritual breakthrough for us to grasp the fact of helplessness. In our salvation we had come to acknowledge that we had not kept God’s law and were guilty sinners. But it is another thing, after becoming a Christian, to discover and admit in our sanctification that we are also helpless saints. We can’t do it and not only can’t but are not meant to.

That is the whole meaning of Paul saying we can have dominion over sin because we are not under the law. This is why there is that important chapter of Romans 7, which has been such a ground of puzzlement and controversy. Chapter 6 he says in Christ’s death we are cut off from the former control of the spirit of self-centeredness, “dead to sin.” In Romans 8 we see His Spirit replacing that former spirit in us and joins us to Christ in resurrection life. In between chapter 6 and chapter 8, chapter 7 says we are not only dead to sin, but also dead to the law. Why? Because if we are to function as living sons, we must know once and for all in what sense our human selves can be manifestations of Christ.

So, in Romans 7 we see the human self that now has God’s Spirit and delights in His law in the inward man and wills to do it and serves the law of God with the renewed mind. But what a seemingly sad discovery is made. He can’t do it. He just can’t do it. His discovery is he can’t do it because of “sin” in him. Sin in him is the spirit of self-sufficiency.

The moment we humans, not recognizing Christ in us as the only keeper of His own law, want ourselves to keep it and slip into this old habit of thinking we can do it, then down we fall. We can’t do what we would and find ourselves doing what we should not. Oh wretched man! And the law of God stands there to demand of us that we keep it, if we think we can! Then at last it dawns on us. Our human self is now a container of ANOTHER SELF, Christ, the Spirit of Christ.

We never were meant as humans to keep God’s laws of self-giving love. Left to our human selves we can only be ourselves and love ourselves. That is who we are without the exchanged life - we are a self-loving self. But this is just why Christ has come into us – to REPLACE the spirit of self-centeredness by which we have lived, “the flesh.” By ourselves we would still remain self-loving selves, but we are not our old selves any more. We are a “new creation” in Christ. By inner union, Christ is our real self.

So what do we do now? We tell the law it is no good its shouting at us, because we can’t fulfill it, were never meant to; but we contain the One Who can and does. So the law has not a thing more to say to us or demand of us. We are “dead to the law” in Christ. And now we are free by simple recognition that Christ in us, Christ as us, keeps His own law in us, so that “the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us” who are now walking by inner recognition of the Spirit and not recognition of that old self-effort.

But We Can Improve ...

I do believe that a Christian can improve, not in merit, but in knowledge, i.e. intimate, experiential relationship knowledge of the indwelling Christ. As we study the Word of God and see what the Word tells us about Him and about who we are in Him, by grace through faith we come progressively to maturity in Him, not in personal worthiness, but in a knowing relationship with Him.

The primary thing is as Paul says, “to know Him.” This knowledge becomes our experience by faith. Hebrews 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe (have faith) that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him (not merit).” 1John 3:22 “and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name (or have faith in Who He is) of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as He commanded us.” Relationship growth is not only possible but is predestined. Romans 8 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son- “To know Him is eternal life” or a quality of life that I could have in no other way but by “knowing” Him.

Of course, we keep His commandments because He said, “If you love me you will keep my commandments.” This is accomplished through “being strong in the Lord and the power of His might.” Whatever we do or accomplish is His accomplishment in us. 1Corinthians 15:10 – “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.”

John even says, “The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.” That is the “how” of keeping His commandments, faith. 1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. In Romans, Paul refers to our obedience as the “obedience of faith.” As Paul told the Corinthians “because it is by faith you stand firm.” And “We live by faith, not by sight.”

Whatever we “need” in our Christian walk, He is that in us. If I “need more” love, He is going to be that love in me by the Holy Spirit. There really is no deficiency of love, just deficiency of “knowing.” The better I know Him, the more I will in relationship with Him express that love that He is in me by faith in what I have come to know is true. Peter commends us to grow, not in merit, but in knowledge (relationship knowledge). 1Peter 3:18 “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” If I “grow in grace” (unmerited favor), I am growing in my realization of my unworthiness. If I grow in knowledge of Him, I learn He in me has all the love I need. Romans 5:5 “because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” If I try to have a natural love, the best I can do is love a worthy object. Romans 5: 7 “Now it is an extraordinary thing for one to give his life even for an upright man, though perhaps for a noble and lovable and generous benefactor someone might even dare to die.” That is as much as natural love can achieve. Natural love must have a worthy object. God's love is the next verse - "But God shows and clearly proves His [own] love for us by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. " So Paul says, in Galatians 5:6 The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. And “everything that does not come from faith is sin.”

The wilderness wandering of the children of God is depicted in Hebrews 3 and 4. They did not enter into the “rest” that they were offered because of their “unbelief” or lack of faith. He says there remains a rest for the people of God and that we are to “labor” (struggle), not to get better at doing, but to “rest” from our sweaty efforts in the strength of the flesh and rely on the power of His might.

For 25 years I tried to serve by merit. If you had asked me, I would have denied it, but experiencing a terrible “fall”, I discovered that I was actually a Pharisee for all those years. I didn’t know I was until by my fall I thought I didn’t deserve to live, as if I ever had deserved to live. Then I knew.

I had read all the Puritan books and “Alarm to the Unconverted.” I read and preached the sermons of condemnation and the call to “try harder.” I hurt a lot of people by setting them up to fail, as any one has to fail who is “trying to DO better” in the flesh. I thought the more I could know intellectually the better Christian I would be, but I think Father was showing me the truth “so that our faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.” As Paul said, Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand.” The doing comes on the heels of believing.

The next 25 years became for me an opportunity to learn, experience and teach the faith-rest of the “easy yoke” and the “burden that is light.” In the wake of the first 25 years there were “bodies” lying all around. In the wake of the next 25 years I see people serving God in a freeness and a joy that is indescribable. Addictive personalities are no longer addicted. Abusive people stopped being abusive. Immoral Christians stopped being immoral. Alcoholics are now missionaries on the foreign field. Church dropouts are now active leaders in their churches. People who knew nothing but failure are now living a life of joy, peace, and successful witness for Christ.

I tell you, I am hooked. This is the most blessed ministry I have ever known and I will by the grace of God never stop as long as He gives me breath. Can I say it better? I have no doubt that someone else could say it better than I (perhaps my clients, the very ones that I have been referring to in this writing.) I do apologize for my poor ability, but I will not apologize for what I believe to be the truth of CHRIST IN US. As I tell my clients, I will keep working by His grace and His power so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. Ephesians 4:13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.”

Amen Sis!!

Galations 5:

[1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
[2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
[3] For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
[4] Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
[5] For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
[6] For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
[7] Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
[8] This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
[9] A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Barry your legalism is a yoke of bondage.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You have some serious issues wildb....
Only the Lord knows what your issues are and how to help YOU..i pray that you find that help in YHWH and His Son Yahushua....

It is clear to all the "serious issues" and it does not perch upon wildbs window.

Your spamming of the board with opinion generated miss use of text is very similar to what the VC did to those in captivity.

Into Jesus hands I place your sillyness.

And one more thing. "if" you have received forgivness by Yahushua's Shed Blood why do you still not realize it?

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
Your not a good example of the Messiah...your coy and crude and your comments are offensive, and you cannot help the "young" in the LORD with your nonsense and when someone corrects you or posts scripture to correct you , you call them silly or to stop thier sillyness...

The LORD REBUKE YOU SIR!

"when someone" you mean U...Barry Barry Barry!

Where you ever drafted?

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have some serious issues wildb....
Only the Lord knows what your issues are and how to help YOU..i pray that you find that help in YHWH and His Son Yahushua....

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
If your trying to call me effeminate ...The LORD REBUKE YOU SIR!

You are always evasive about your point...

The Lord do so and more. I was trained to weep as a woman in my heart for my children as Jeremiah for his people.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Your not a good example of the Messiah...your coy and crude and your comments are offensive, and you cannot help the "young" in the LORD with your nonsense and when someone corrects you or posts scripture to correct you , you call them silly or to stop thier sillyness...

The LORD REBUKE YOU SIR!

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
wildbill by your "course" comments i truly sometime doubt your "born again"!

You have a problem with homosexuality it appears.

Now i believe that Romans clearly describesthis "gross" sin......but you bring it up alot..

Did you have problems with Homosexuality when you were young?

your comments the other day about "special" and other comments and todays comments..makes me wonder if your dealing with sexual sin..if this is the case we can pray for your deliverence.. Is this so sir??

Oo Barry why so touchy?

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

If your trying to call me effeminate ...The LORD REBUKE YOU SIR!

You are always evasive about your point...

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

wildbill by your "course" comments i truly sometime doubt your "born again"!

You have a problem with homosexuality it appears.

Now i believe that Romans clearly describes this "gross" sin......but you bring it up alot..

Did you have problems with Homosexuality when you were young?

your comments the other day about "special" and other comments and todays comments..makes me wonder if your dealing with sexual sin..if this is the case we can pray for your deliverence.. Is this so sir??

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

quote:

Sorry try again Sister.

"crudly wrong" do you flip your wrist in a most feminine manner before you post?

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Sorry try again Sister.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WALK IN THE SPIRIT

CONTINUAL ABIDING

Way of Walking with Jesus

But We Can Improve ...

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

What it means to walk in the Spirit

There are some who believe walking in the Spirit is something completely different walking in obedience to the law of Yahweh. Let's begin by looking at a few scriptures that deal with this:

Roma 8:1 (NKJV) [There] [is] therefore now no condemnation to those who are in the Messiah Yahushua, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Whatever it means to walk according to the Spirit, it sure sounds wonderful because there is no condemnation to them as long as they are in the Messiah Yahushua!

Also it certainly does not mean to walk in our own spirit:

Ezek 13:2 (NKJV) "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who prophesy, and say to those who prophesy out of their own heart, `Hear the word of Yahweh!' " 3 Thus says Yahweh Elohim: "Woe to the foolish prophets, who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing!

I am convinced that there may be a multitude of people who follow their own spirit but claim it is Yahweh's Spirit. We should beware of this also!

Here is a promise to those who do walk in the Spirit:

Gala 5:16 (NKJV) I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

A beautiful promise! We need only to walk in the Spirit and we will not obey or fulfill the temptations and desires that our flesh causes us to endure.

So one thing is certain, walking in the Spirit can't be fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. What types of things would be fulfilling the lusts of the flesh? Could there be some who claim to know Yahushua but are really walking in the lusts of the flesh?

2Pet 2:1 (NKJV) But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, [and] bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber. 4 For if Yahweh did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast [them] down to hell and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, [one] [of] eight [people], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the unrighteous; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned [them] to destruction, making [them] an example to those who afterward would live unrighteously; 7 and delivered righteous Lot, [who] [was] oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked 8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented [his] righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing [their] lawless deeds)-- 9 [then] Yahweh knows how to deliver the righteous out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. [They] [are] presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries, 11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before Yahweh. 12 But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption, 13 [and] will receive the wages of unrighteousness, [as] those who count it pleasure to carouse in the daytime. [They] [are] spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you, 14 having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls. [They] [have] a heart trained in covetous practices, [and] [are] accursed children. 15 They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the [son] of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; 16 but he was rebuked for his iniquity: a dumb donkey speaking with a man's voice restrained the madness of the prophet. 17 These are wells without water, clouds carried by a tempest, for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever. 18 For when they speak great swelling [words] of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage.

Clearly, Liberty does NOT mean we can sin! Liberty is freedom from the penalty of sin, not freedom from having to refrain from sin! It is sin that corrupts and puts us into bondage.

20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Master and Savior Yahushua the Messiah, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A dog returns to his own vomit," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

This is a powerful condemnation against the doctrine of accepting Yahushua as the Messiah but turning away from the ways of righteousness and rejecting the holy commandment of Yahweh.

It is very clear that according to these scriptures, walking in the lusts of the flesh is likened to rejecting righteousness and rejecting the commandments of Yahweh.

What other scriptures reveal what walking in the lusts of the flesh would be?

Roma 13:8 (NKJV) Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if [there] [is] any other commandment, are [all] summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love [is] the fulfillment of the law. 11 And [do] this, knowing the time, that now [it] [is] high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation [is] nearer than when we [first] believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Master Yahushua the Messiah, and make no provision for the flesh, to [fulfill] [its] lusts.

Again we see that walking according to the flesh is the opposite of fulfilling and keeping the law of Yahweh.

Ephe 2:2 (KJV) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

A third witness for us confirms that walking in the lusts of the flesh is disobedience! How about a fourth?

1Pet 4:1 (NKJV) Therefore, since the Messiah suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 that he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of Yahweh. 3 For we [have] [spent] enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles--when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries. 4 In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with [them] in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of [you]. 5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

So it is very crystal clear that walking in the lusts of the flesh is the same as walking in disobedience. Could we not then conclude that walking in the Spirit would be... "Obedience"?

Certainly [Smile] Yahweh prophesied through Ezekiel that in the end times He would put His Spirit in His people and a wonderful outward transformation would take place:

Ezek 36:25 (NKJV) "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

HalleluYah! Indeed we can see that walking in the Spirit would be walking in obedience!

Now let's look into some of Paul's writings:

Gala 5:13 (NKJV) For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not [use] liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Now based on what we have learned thus far, we cannot possibly conclude that walking in the Spirit of Yahweh has anything to do with disobedience to Yahweh's law. Rather, to the contrary! So let us with this in mind examine the following verses:

17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Now if we were to take the conclusion that many would love to take in this verse, we would be saying "If we are led by the Spirit, we don't have to be obedient to Yahweh's law". But how can this possibly be? Every verse we have examined thus far has said just the opposite. Clearly a person who is not under the law is free from sin for sin is disobedience to or transgression of the law.

1Joh 3:4 (KJV) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Indeed even the following verses prove that one who is walking in the Spirit is NOT free to be disobedient to His law again!

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told [you] in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of Yahweh.

All these things are condemned in the law of Yahweh. So not being under the law must clearly mean something else! But what does it mean? It cannot mean one who has sinned because we know that Yahushua did not sin:

Gala 4:4 (NKJV) But when the fullness of the time had come, Yahweh sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

It is clear that those who are NOT under the law are set free from its penalties:

Roma 6:14 (KJV) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Or, based on what we have seen thusfar we could say:

"Transgressions of the law will not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace"

Those who are under grace are forgiven for their transgressions! They are set free from the power that sin has over us! That power is eternal death and damnation!!

Therefore we cannot deny that one who is under the law is one who has to live up to its standards. Yahushua was born under the law and lived up to its standards but we have failed! Indeed, this is why we need Him so! He is our only hope! HalleluYah!!

Yahweh's standard is perfection. We have failed to live up to it. Therefore we cannot be saved or receive justification in the law. How can we? We have not kept it! The law cannot justify us because it can't die for us or shed its blood for us, thereby making us free from its penalty of eternal death and damnation. I believe that this is the key to understanding the writings of Paul and what He was dealing with in those days. He was dealing with those who believed that they could be saved because they have kept the law. But NO MAN has ever kept it.

We need Yahushua!

Now let's look again at the previous verse we examined:

Roma 6:14 (KJV) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? Yahweh forbid. 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?17 But Yahweh be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

With this understanding, O how his writings become so much clearer! And now we can understand why Paul said:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those [who] [are] the Messiah's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

So here we are back to our original question. What does it mean to walk in the Spirit? I think we have answered this, but I would like to share one more scripture to furthur solidify things:

Roma 7:24 (NKJV) O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank Yahweh--through Yahushua the Messiah our Master! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of Yahweh, but with the flesh the law of sin. 8:1 [There] [is] therefore now no condemnation to those who are in the Messiah Yahushua, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in the Messiah Yahushua has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, Yahweh [did] by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those [who] [live] according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded [is] death, but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against Yahweh; for it is not subject to the law of Yahweh, nor indeed can be.

So there we have it. Walking according to the flesh cannot be referring to those who observe the law of Yahweh. To be walking according to the flesh is equal to being carnally minded. To be carnally minded is equal to not being subject to the law of Yahweh! Therefore, those who are in Yahushua are walking in the Spirit are subject to keeping the law of Yahweh. We can not continue to sin (break the law of Yahweh) so that grace may abound.

May we all walk in Yahweh's Spirit. For Yahweh's word IS Spirit!

John 6:63 (KJV) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

And Yahushua is the Word! And it is through the blood of Yahushua that we can be cleansed from all sin.

1Joh 1:7 (NKJV) But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Yahushua the Messiah His Son cleanses us from all sin.

And this thing we have in common, we have all been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, HalleluYah! Therefore we can all have fellowship with one another. We are all free from our sins and we all are free to leave behind our old ways where we had ignored and broken Yahweh's perfect law.

Titus 3:3 (NKJV) For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and the love of Elohim our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Yahushua the Messiah our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Praise Yahweh that we can now walk a path that is narrow, pure and new...walking in the Spirit!

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement