Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Growing Old Gracefully

Author Topic: Growing Old Gracefully
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
Amen!!

Ditto. It is so pleasant to read post that make sense than the rants and ramblings that some peoples kids think we need a daily does of in the morning.

Carry on my True brother in Christ.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!!

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a devotional I did sometime ago and it's title is "Growing Old Gracefully" .. I trust you will be blessed by it.

- Growing Old Gracefully -

Psalm 71:18, “When I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation”

Psalm 92:4, “They shall still bear fruit in old age”

When you’re young, you really don’t think about growing old because you have other things on your mind that are far more important than age. However, many older people wish they were young again with clear sight, sharp hearing, elastic steps, and invigorating health. Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist said this, “Those of you in your twenties have the feeling that time is something of which you have an endless supply. Again, take it from someone who has been on this planet a good deal longer than most of you have, that is not the case.” The day will also come when you will look back on your life and wonder where all those years have gone? Author Henry Durbanville said this about growing old, “I feel so sorry for folks who don’t like to grow old. I revel in my years. They enrich me. If God should say to me, “I will let you begin over again and you may have your youth back once more,” I should say, “I would not exchange the peace of mind, the abiding rest of soul, the measure of wisdom I have gained from the sweet and bitter and perplexing experiences of life. These are the best years of my life, the sweetest, and the freest from anxious care. The way grows brighter, the birds sing sweeter, the winds blow softer, the sun shines more radiantly than ever before … My outward man is perishing, but my inward man is being joyously renewed day by day.

My friend and brethren, we are all growing older, no matter what our age. Many people are scared or maybe even terrified of the thought of growing old, which is understandable. The passing years do bring a decline of our vision and hearing. We may even lose our teeth, hair and in many cases our busyness, physical strength, and endurance. Yet, elderly people have advantages the young do not enjoy. In fact, the “sunset years” can be the most fulfilling of all. It is a blessed old age indeed, if it ends brightly at evening time. Old age celebrates the harvest and youth the sowing. Like fruit in the fall, the harvest of old age will either dry up and wither, or grow mellow and sweeter as it ripens. Old age is the season when we can concentrate on getting to know God better and cultivating character traits that make us more like Him. It's God's way of getting us to slow down so we'll take more time for Him. We can think more deeply about the calm God gives us, the peace He leaves us, the benefits of His salvation, and His faithfulness to us (Psalm 71:15). It is the best time to grow in grace and godliness, in inner strength and beauty of character. "The silver-haired head," the wise man said, "is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness" (Proverbs 16:31).

Concluding thoughts:

No one is in a better position to have a positive, forward-looking attitude about age than the child of God. Physical limitations may make it impossible to run a marathon, but there are many courageous and more worthwhile acts that you can accomplish. No physical feat is nobler than to remain strong in faith when physical strength fails. Nothing is more honorable than to trust God when others are saying, “God has forsaken him” (Psalm 71:11). Nothing is more needed than to declare the Lord’s strength to the next generation. Yes, there are many difficulties to face, as we grow older. However, who can better celebrate life than those who know from experience that the Lord is faithful, and who have the assurance from Him that the best is yet ahead!

I will conclude with this prayer written by an unknown author, and entitled “A Prayer for Growing Old Gracefully” … Lord, Thou knowest better than I myself that I am growing older and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful, but not moody, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all; but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains; they are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening of confidence when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet, for a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people; and give, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. Amen.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to grow old gracefully. I have accepted my physical condition in that I do not let it depress me but at the same time, I am working out every day so that I will still be able to walk.
I even do yoga exercise, some of them I have to lean on a cane to do so.
I think growing old gracefully is accepting what you can no longer do and keeping trying to do what you can do.
Like you guys I look forward to when Jesus comes back for us. When I will have a perfect body that is free from pain. It has been since 1994 since I have known a whole day free from pain. I know my suffering is nothing to come of you guys.
But Heaven is on my mind alot.
God bless each of you. You are fine examples of growing old gracefully.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
God bless you Bro;

The most precious aspect in growing old is that I am that much closer to going Home. I sure am looking forward to getting the race over.

And me being with all that made and kept this board

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you Bro;

The most precious aspect in growing old is that I am that much closer to going Home. I sure am looking forward to getting the race over.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Paul M. Sadler, President

Scripture Reference:

"Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren; the elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity."
-- I Timothy 5:1,2

The Apostle Paul deals with many different types of relationships in his epistles, but perhaps the most delicate relationship is with those who are older in years. Like the seasons of the year, each of us gradually grow older until we find ourselves in the winter of our lives. The first 70 years are normally filled with vim and vigor as we fulfill the desires of our heart. But if by reason of strength we survive beyond this point the Scriptures indicate that the days ahead are going to be filled with labor and sorrow. Labor, in the sense that even the mundane things of life, such as rising from a chair, becomes burdensome.

To complicate matters further, sorrow surrounds us like a tattered garment as death robs us of those we love. Little wonder that Paul admonishes us to esteem the senior members of the Body of Christ as fathers and mothers. Their plight deserves our sensitivity and their years of experience our respect. Furthermore, it will serve us well to remember that someday soon we will be the patriarch or matriarch.

In Ecclesiastes wise old Solomon, stricken in years himself, describes the aging process that creeps up on us like the leopard that stalks its prey.

"Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them" (Eccl. 12:1).

Someday the grim reaper will stand at the foot of our deathbed and the "mourners [will] go about the streets" whispering: Has he passed on? Beloved, there are thousands of ways to leave this earthly tabernacle, but perhaps the most common today is when the "pitcher is broken at the fountain." In short, a fatal heart attack.

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it" (vs. 7).

The sting of death is sin, but thanks be unto God that Christ died for our sins thereby removing its sting. Thus, according to Paul's epistles death is merely a passage way into eternal life for all those who believe (I Cor. 15:55-57; Heb. 2:14,15). No one looks forward to growing old, but hopefully we will do so gracefully and with dignity. As they say: "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." The blood of Christ is our eternal life insurance policy which has a rider guaranteeing our future resurrection!

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement