Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Between The Evenings

Author Topic: Between The Evenings
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...In fact, that's the topic title. [cool_shades]
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Swenson writes to Eden
quote:
I agree with this part
Hallelujah ........ PRAise the Lord .......
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm submitting that THOSE TWO Passovers took place somewhere AFTER sundown but BEFORE midnight, and, if anything, CLOSER to sundown than to midnight.

I agree with this part...
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

dear Carol Swenson, with all due respect, I'm only interested in the Passover that the Israelites experienced in the land of Goshen, and I'm only interested in the Passover that the Lord Jesus and His disciples would have partaken of in the 1st century A.D.

Whatever else may have been developed in "Jewish tradition" in ritualized seder ceremonies does not interest me. I'm only interested in the Passover of the Israelites in the land of Goshen and the Passover that the Lord Jesus and His disciples had together.

I'm submitting that THOSE TWO Passovers took place somewhere AFTER sundown but BEFORE midnight, and, if anything, CLOSER to sundown than to midnight.

So the calendars notwithstanding, I'm not interested in Jewish tradition which "makes the Word of God void".

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, I apparently wasn't clear in what I meant. Maybe this calendar will help explain it. Passover is on Nissan 15, and begins the evening before.

Jewish Holiday Calendar - Hebrew Year 5770

All Jewish holidays begin the evening before the date specified. In a Hebrew calendar a "day" begins and ends at sunset, rather than at midnight. All holidays are celebrated on the same day of the Hebrew calendar every year (with few exceptions when some holidays fall on Shabbat).

Rosh HaShanah - Sep 19, 2009
Tishrei 1-2 - The Jewish New Year. Marks the beginning of ten days of repentance culminating with Yom Kippur.

Fast of Gedaliah - Sep 21, 2009
Tishrei 3 - Commemorates the assassination of Gedalya Ben Achikam and start of Babylonian exile of the Jewish people (Early 6th century B.C.E.)

Yom Kippur - Sep 28, 2009
Tishrei 10 - The Day of Atonement.

Sukkot - Oct 3, 2009
Tishrei 15 - Sukkot commemorates the forty years of wandering of the People of Israel in the desert after the exodus from Egypt. In memory Jewish people are commanded to build and live in temporary dwellings for seven days (Leviticus 23:33).

Simhat Torah - Oct 10, 2009
Tishrei 22 - Simhat Torah (Joy of Torah) marks the completion of the annual reading of the Torah. The concluding section of Torah is read followed by the reading of the first section of Genesis, symbolizing the continuing annual cycle of weekly Torah reading.

Hanukah - Dec 12, 2009
Kislev 25 - Hanuka celebrates the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after the victory of the Maccabees over the Hellenistic (Greek) army.

Tu Bishvat - Jan 30, 2010
Shevat 15 - Tu Bishvat is also known as the New Year for Trees.

Fast of Esther - Feb 25, 2010
Adar 13 - A day of fasting in remembrance of the fast of Queen Esther prior to her attempt to save the Jewish people of ancient Persia.

Purim - Feb 28, 2010
Adar 14 - Purim commemorates the annulment of the decree against the Jewish people in ancient Persia (Late 6th century B.C.E.).

Passover - Mar 30, 2010
Nisan 15 - Passover commemorates the Exodus of the people of Israel from ancient Egypt.

Yom Hashoa - Apr 12, 2010
Nisan 27 - Holocaust Memorial Day in remembrance of the 6 million Jews killed by the German Nazi regime and their collaborators.

Memorial Day - Apr 19, 2010
Iyar 4 - Memorial Day in memory of the fallen soldiers of the Israel Defense forces and victims of Arab terrorism.

Yom HaAtzmaut - Apr 20, 2010
Iyar 5 - Israel Independence Day. Marks the Declaration of Independence of the State of Israel in 1948.

Lag BaOmer - May 2, 2010
Iyar 18 - Lag BaOmer is the 33rd day of the Omer commemorating a break in the mourning period for the 24,000 students of Rabbi Akiva (2nd century).

Yom Yerushalayim - May 12, 2010
Iyar 28 - Jerusalem Day celebrates the liberation of Jerusalem during the Six-Day War.

Shavuot - May 19, 2010
Sivan 6 - Shavuot commemorates the giving of the Torah and the Ten Commandments to Israelites at Mount Sinai over 3000 years ago. Shavuot means "weeks" as Torah was given 7 weeks after the Exodus from Egypt. First harvest was brought to the Temple on Shavuot.

Shiv'ah Asar Betammuz - Jun 29, 2010
Tammuz 17 - Fast Day commemorates the breach of the walls of Jerusalem during the siege of the city by the Roman army (70 C.E.)

Tishah Beav - Jul 20, 2010
Av 9 - Fast of the Ninth of Av in Hebrew calendar commemorates the destruction of the first and second Temples (the first by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.E.; the second by the Romans in 70 C.E.). Expulsion of Jews from Spain in 1492 also falls on this date.

http://www.science.co.il/jewish-holidays.asp

Eden
unregistered

Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
Eden, I don't think you will find any Jewish calendars or histories showing Passover being on the evening or night of 13 Nissan, or the beginning of the 14th.
I have NEVER said that Passover was on "the evening or night of 13 Nisan", because the "evening-night" portion of Nisan 13 would have been on the START end of Nisan 13.

Nor have I even said that the Passover was on the "day" portion of Nisan 13 which ENDED Nisan 13.

I have ALWAYS said that Passover was AFTER THE SUNDOWN which ENDED the "day" portion of Nisan 13 and which BEGAN the "evening-night" portion of Nisan 14 (Passover).

It is clear from Exodus 12 that the Passover was eaten AFTER SUNDOWN but BEFORE MIDNIGHT on Passover Nisan 14, and indeed would have been eaten CONSIDERABLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT because it was AT MIDNIGHT that the angel of the LORD killed the firstborn of the Egyptians.

So they clearly would have eaten the passover lamb SOMETIME AFTER SUNDOWN but NOT LONG AFTER SUNDOWN, since they had to put the blood on the doorposts and eat the lamb and all that.

To repeat what you said to me, Carol Swenson
quote:
Eden, I don't think you will find any Jewish calendars or histories showing Passover being on the evening or night of 13 Nissan, or the beginning of the 14th.
I have said all along that they ate the Passover lamb SHORTLY AFTER SUNDOWN, when it was already the "evening-night" portion which began Nisan 14.

Then at midnight of Nisan 14, the angel of the LORD killed the firstborn of the Egyptians, and then by boqer daybreak of Nisan 14 the Israelites came out of their houses and "spoiled the Egyptians of their jewels", and then by the evening-night portion of Nisan 15 they were assembling at the store city Rameses and then during the night portion of Nisan 15 they departed from Rameses.

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
The lamb was to be eaten before midnight. At midnight the firstborn males of Egypt were killed and this ended the Passover observance. No one was to go out of their house until 'morning', but this 'morning' was not sunrise.
Let's look at the word "morning" in Strong's Concordance:

Exodus 12:22 And ye shall take 3947 a bunch 92 of hyssop 231, and dip 2881 [it] in the blood 1818 that [is] in the bason 5592, and strike 5060 the lintel 4947 and the two 8147 side posts 4201 with the blood 1818 that [is] in the bason 5592; and none 376 of you shall go out 3318 at the door 6607 of his house 1004 until the morning 1242.

morning 1242, boqer; properly, dawn (as the break of day); generally, morning:--(+) day, early, morning, morrow.

This word boqer 1242 is uniformly used to mean "daybreak" in the Old Testament:

Gen 19:27 And Abraham got up early 7925 in the morning 1242 ...

Gen 28:18 And Jacob rose up early 7925 in the morning 1242 ...

Gen 29:25 And it came to pass, that in the morning 1242 ...

There are countless examples of morning 1242 boqer in the Old Testament, all clearly meaning "daybreak" or "actual morning". If the writers wanted to indicate that it was "especially early" in the morning 1242 boqer, then they ADDED the word "early", as we saw above.

You further sought to bolster your point by adding the following verse:
quote:
Exodus 12
30 Pharaoh arose in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians, and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was no home where there was not someone dead.

31 Then he called for Moses and Aaron at night and said, “Rise up, get out from among my people, both you and the sons of Israel; and go, worship the LORD, as you have said.

32 “Take both your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and go, and bless me also.”

Moses and Aaron were God's mouthpieces for this event so they would have been "exempt" from the command "not to leave their houses until "morning 1242 boqer".

At most, messengers would have been sent to the elders of the villages in the land of Goshen where the Israelites dwelled, to notify them to pack up their things, and the Israelites would have been practically-speaking ready by "morning 1242 boqer" of Passover Nisan 14 anyway.

So it would have been from about "morning 1242 boqer" until sundown Passover Nisan 14 until the evening-night portion of Nisan 15, that the Israelites would have "spoiled the Egyptians during the day portion of Passover Nisan 14".

And then the Israelites all assembled at the store city Rameses sometime by the evening-night portion of Nisan 15, and they departed from Rameses during the night portion of Nisan 15.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Eden

I don't think you will find any Jewish calendars or histories showing Passover being on the evening or night of 13 Nissan, or the beginning of the 14th.

John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point was made that this was in haste. It was in a time of persecution and hatred which Pharaoh and his armies were all ready to pounce.

As I recall the first seder was to be eaten standing with preparations to flee at once with staff in hand.

Are you, Carol, so bent on clinging to the Roman traditions of Friday crucifixion Sunday resurrection that you are willing to put the Bible itself through a scrutiny it was never designed to indicate?

Precept upon precept line upon line here a little there a little... does not always mean verbatim and precision despite the surrounding circumstances or three languages written in etc.

This is how the skeptics and atheists try to discredit the Bible.

Ordinarily I defer to your great knowledge and experience and teaching the truth... but is it so important that what you believe about the Passion week that you must resort to this?

We can get into nooks and crannies about the Seder itself that has extra-biblical details in it from the Haggadah... to use as a discredit to the Seder etc.

OR

We can see how the Haggadah points Jews directly to Jesus prophetically (Jews who are hostile towards Jesus who practice the Seder to this very year).

Again... is it so important that you win a battle and nuke the place in the process?

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

30Pharaoh arose in the night , he and all his servants and all the Egyptians, and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was no home where there was not someone dead. 31Then he called for Moses and Aaron at night and said, “Rise up, get out from among my people, both you and the sons of Israel; and go, worship the LORD, as you have said. 32“Take both your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and go, and bless me also.”

The lamb was to be eaten before midnight. At midnight the firstborn males of Egypt were killed and this ended the Passover observance. No one was to go out of their house until 'morning', but this 'morning' was not sunrise. Note, that when Christ and His disciples kept this Passover they departed for the Mount of Olives many hours before sunrise. Once the angel had passed over at midnight there was no longer any need to refrain from leaving one's house.

Today, Passover begins on day 15 of the Hebrew month of Nissan (March or April) and continues for 7 days. Originally, Passover began at twilight on the fourteenth day of Nissan (Leviticus 23:5), and then the next day, day 15, the Feast of Unleavened Bread would begin and continue for seven days (Leviticus 23:6).

Eden
unregistered

hi, Carol Swenson, you wrote
quote:
Where does the Bible say they spent a day gathering things?
Exodus 12

33 The Egyptians urged the people, to send them out of the land in haste, for they said, “We will all be dead.”

34 So the people took their dough before it was leavened, with their kneading bowls bound up in the clothes on their shoulders.

In these next verses it says they plundered the Egyptians.

Exodus 12
35 Now the sons of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, for they had requested from the Egyptians articles of silver and articles of gold, and clothing;

36 And the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have their request. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.

We know that the Israelites cannot have plundered the Egyptians during the evening or during the night because none of the Israelites were allowed to "come out of their houses UNTIL MORNING":

Exodus 12:22
And you shall take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two sideposts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.

And since the Israelites departed from Rameses during the next evening/night on Nisan 15, that means that the Israelites spoiled and plundered the Egyptians DURING THE DAY PORTION of Passover Nisan 14.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does the Bible say they spent a day gathering things?

Exodus 12:29 - 51 (NASB)

29Now it came about at midnight that the LORD struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of cattle.

30Pharaoh arose in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians, and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was no home where there was not someone dead. 31Then he called for Moses and Aaron at night and said, “Rise up, get out from among my people, both you and the sons of Israel; and go, worship the LORD, as you have said. 32“Take both your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and go, and bless me also.”

33The Egyptians urged the people, to send them out of the land in haste, for they said, “We will all be dead.” 34So the people took their dough before it was leavened, with their kneading bowls bound up in the clothes on their shoulders. 35Now the sons of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, for they had requested from the Egyptians articles of silver and articles of gold, and clothing; 36and the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have their request. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.

37Now the sons of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, aside from children. 38A mixed multitude also went up with them, along with flocks and herds, a very large number of livestock. 39They baked the dough which they had brought out of Egypt into cakes of unleavened bread. For it had not become leavened, since they were driven out of Egypt and could not delay, nor had they prepared any provisions for themselves. 40Now the time that the sons of Israel lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. 41And at the end of four hundred and thirty years, to the very day, all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.

42It is a night to be observed for the LORD for having brought them out from the land of Egypt; this night is for the LORD, to be observed by all the sons of Israel throughout their generations. 43The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “This is the ordinance of the Passover: no foreigner is to eat of it;

50Then all the sons of Israel did so; they did just as the LORD had commanded Moses and Aaron. 51And on that same day the LORD brought the sons of Israel out of the land of Egypt by their hosts.

Eden
unregistered

Hi, Carol Swenson, you wrote
quote:
This 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread started after the Passover on the night of the 15th and ran through to the night of the 21st.

They had journeyed to Rameses city on the 15th, took three days to reach (and cross) the Red Sea and then went a further 3 days into the wilderness (Numbers 33:3-8).

That is true, but to be a little more accurate, instead of "journeyed to", they had ASSEMBLED at Rameses on Passover day, after spending much of the day "spoiling the Misr Egyptians of their jewels and gold".

The reason they ASSEMBLED at Rameses was because Rameses was a STORE CITY in the northeast Nile floodplain and was part of the land of Goshen where the Israelites had dwelled all these years.

In this STORE CITY were stored the PROVISIONS and WEAPONS for the thousands of soldiers who normally swarmed in the east Nile floodplain because this east Nile floodplain was vulnerable and open on its northeast side to the Gaza Strip and to Canaan and to the Sinai peninsula and beyond.

So this east side of the Nile floodplain always swarmed with soldiers and hence there were at least two major STORE CITIES here, PITHOM and RAMESES.

So after "spoiling the Misr Egyptians" all day on Passover daytime, the Israelites ASSEMBLED at Rameses and undoubtedly EMPTIED OUT the store city of all of its provisions and weapons.

And then, after Passover ended at sundown and the Feast of Unleavened Bread was fully started as Nisan 15, they set out from store city Rameses by the light of the full moon.

Exodus 12:42
It is a night to be much observed unto the LORD for bringing them out from the land of Egypt: this is that night of the LORD to be observed of all the children of Israel in their generations.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have come across that teaching before Eden. I'm sorry but I don't agree with it. The 14th at twilight means the end of the 14th day, not the beginning of it.
Eden
unregistered

hi, Carol Swenson, you wrote
quote:
These verses seem to indicate a 24 hour day is composed of 12 hours of daylight and another 12 hours of night.
Actually, when we are talking about Jewish 24 hour day, it is the other way around. A Jewish 24 hour day is composed of 12 hours of evening/night, followed by 12 hours of daylight.

You also said
quote:
There is no inference of any lessening of the night to 10 hours in order to cater for an hour of dusk after sunset and another hour before sunrise.
That is true. I have only made reference to them eating the Passover lamb around 7 pm for ease of understanding.

But in any case they did have to eat the Passover at the START of Passover Nisan 14, meaning once the "evening/night" portion of Passover Nisan 14 had fully started.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term 'Passover' was also a name applied to the 7 day period in which
there would be 7 nights of feasting.

Luke 22:1 Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near,
which is called Passover.

Luke 22:1, reflects the teaching presented in the Old Covenant.

Deut 16:2 Therefore you shall sacrifice the Passover
to the LORD your God, ...
:3 You shall eat no leavened bread with it;
seven days you shall eat unleavened bread
with it, ... (for you came out of the land
of Egypt in haste), ...

This 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread started after the Passover on the
night of the 15th and ran through to the night of the 21st.

They had journeyed to Rameses
city on the 15th, took three days to reach (and cross) the Red Sea and then
went a further 3 days into the wilderness (Num 33:3-8).

On the 21st they rested.

Deut 16:3 You shall eat no leavened bread with it;
seven days you shall eat unleavened bread
with it, ... that you may remember
the day in which you came out of the
land of Egypt all the days of your life.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

THE EXODUS PASSOVERS

- The children of Israel observed the first Passover
dressed in a manner appropriate for travel,
"with a
belt on your waist, your sandals on your feet, and
your staff in your hand", Exodus 12:11.

- At midnight that night the LORD killed the firstborn
of Egypt and Pharaoh arose at night and called for
Moses and Aaron (Exod 12:29-31).

Moses organized the children of Israel and led them to the city of Rameses.

- Pharaoh ordered the children of Israel to leave Egypt
and serve their God as they had requested (Exod 12:31).

The second feast, the next night, commemorates their first night of freedom.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

PASSOVER 14TH OF ABIB

It is commonly known that the Jewish Passover involved the sacrifice of
a lamb in the first month ('Abib'). Many Old Testament scriptures state
the Passover observance occurred on the 14th,
but scholars do not agree
on how to reflect this in the narratives of Exodus and Christ.

To help clarify the correct position it is helpful to review how the
Passover was observed.

EXODUS AND LATER PASSOVERS

The first, and best known, Passover is that described in Exodus 12:6-13.
This Passover concerned the death of the firstborn of Egypt following
the passing over of the LORD.

Exod 12:12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt on
that night, and will strike all the firstborn
in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; ...

:29 And it came to pass at midnight that the LORD
struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, ...

To escape the same fate, the Israelites had been instructed to paint the
doorposts and lintel of their homes with the blood (of the lamb).

Exod 12:7 And they shall take some of the blood
and put it on the two doorposts and on
the lintel of the houses where they eat
it.

:13 Now the blood shall be a sign for you on
the houses where you are. And when I see
the blood, I will pass over you; ...

:23 ... and when He sees the blood on the
lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD
will pass over the door and not allow the
destroyer to come into your houses to
strike you.

It is important to note that the first Passover service was held in
private homes.

Exod 12:4 And if the household is too small for the lamb,
let him and his neighbor next to his house take
it according to the number of the persons;

:22 ... And none of you shall go out of the door of
his house until morning.

:23 ... and not allow the destroyer to come into
your houses to strike you.

In the many subsequent Old Testament references to Passover we encounter
a formal observance held only at the house of God.

Exod 12:43 ... This is the ordinance of the Passover: ...
:46 In one house it shall be eaten; ...

Deut 16:5 You may not sacrifice the Passover within any of
your gates which the LORD your God gives you;
:6 but at the place where the LORD your God chooses
to make His name abide, there you shall sacrifice
the Passover at twilight, ...

2King 23:23 But in the eighteenth year of King Josiah this
Passover was held before the LORD in Jerusalem.

2Chr 30:15 Then they slaughtered the Passover lambs[NB: the
word 'lambs' has been incorrectly added by the
translators and is not present in the original
Hebrew text] on the fourteenth day of the second
month. The priests and the Levites were ashamed,
and sanctified themselves, and brought the burnt
offerings to the house of the LORD.

2Chr 35:1 Now Josiah kept a Passover to the LORD in Jerusalem,
and they slaughtered the Passover lambs [NB: the
word 'lambs' has been incorrectly added by the
translators and is not present in the original
Hebrew text] on the fourteenth day of the first month.
:5 And stand in the holy place
according to the divisions of the
fathers' houses of your brethren
the lay people, and according to
the division of the father's
house of the Levites.

Ezra 6:19 And the descendants of the captivity kept the Passover
on the fourteenth day of the first month.
:20 For the priests and the Levites had purified themselves;
all of them were ritually clean. And they slaughtered
the Passover lambs[NB: the word 'lambs' has been
incorrectly added by the translators and is not present
in the original Hebrew text] for all the descendants
of the captivity, for their brethren the priests, and
for themselves.
:21 Then the children of Israel who had returned from the
captivity ate together with all who had separated
themselves from the filth of the nations ...

It has generally been thought that the initial private home ceremony was
converted to a temple based service. This has been a false assumption!

The New Testament reflects the correct situation.

BEFORE AND AFTER CHRIST'S DEATH

Scripture records Passover being observed before and after the death of
Christ.

BEFORE

Matt 26:17 ... the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him,
"Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat
the Passover?"
:18 And He said, "Go into the city to a certain man,
and say to him, 'The Teacher says, "My time is
at hand; I will keep the Passover at your house
with My disciples"'"
:19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them;
and they prepared the Passover.

Luke 22:15 Then He said to them, "With fervent desire I have
desired to eat this Passover with you before I
suffer;"

AFTER

John 18:28 Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium,
and it was early morning. But they themselves did
not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be
defiled, but that they might eat the Passover.

This conflicting timing has led to much controversy.

Both the Old and New Testaments, Scripture is presenting
two separate Passover observances.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

THE TEMPLE PASSOVER

Lev 23:5 On the fourteenth day of the first month at
twilight (between the evenings) is the LORD's
Passover.

We can easily gain a starting point for this observance.

Deut 16:2 Therefore you shall sacrifice the Passover
to the LORD your God, from the flock and
the herd, in the place where the LORD chooses
to place His name.
:6 ... there you shall sacrifice the Passover
at twilight (evening), at the going down of
the sun, at the time you came out of Egypt.

[ This reference to their departure from Egypt is a reference
to when they started to cross the Red Sea, Exodus 14:21-22. ]

Having seen that the LORD's Passover is an event which begins with the
'sunset evening' it is apparent the second evening must be some time
after sunset! This means that any conjecture that the missing evening
could occur at 3.00pm, or at any time prior to sunset, can be eliminated.

In 2 Chronicles 35:1-19 we find a detailed description of the temple
Passover. We can see in verse 14 that the animals (which included cattle,
verses 7-9) were slaughtered (and the appropriate offerings made) up until
nightfall.

2Chr 35:1 Now Josiah kept a Passover to the LORD in
Jerusalem, ...

:14 Then afterward they prepared portions for
themselves and for the priests, because the
priests, the sons of Aaron, were busy in
offering burnt offerings and fat until night;
therefore the Levites prepared portions for
themselves and for the priests, the sons of
Aaron.
:15 ... Also the gatekeepers were at each gate;
they did not have to leave their position,
because their brethren the Levites prepared
portions for them.
:16 So all the service of the LORD was prepared
the same day, to keep the Passover ...

Nightfall was not the end of the Passover observance, but rather its
beginning! There was a need to ensure all concerned, including the
singers and gatekeepers, were handed a portion of the meat prior to
the start of the ceremony.

The completion time for the observance of the LORD's Passover was
'morning'!

Deut 16:7 And you shall roast (boil) and eat it
in the place which the LORD your God
chooses, and in the morning you shall
turn and go to your tents.

[ 'Morning'!? This may at first appear to be saying that
this Passover finished at sunrise, but it actually finished
at the arrival of the latter 2nd evening (ie, the evening
which marked the completion of the 'between the evenings'
period).

THE FAMILY PASSOVER

Let us consider when the family Passover ended.

Exod 12:10 You shall let none of it remain
until morning, ...
:21 ... Pick and take lambs or
yourselves according to your
families, and kill the Passover
lamb.
:22 ... And none of you shall go
out of the door of his house
until morning.
:29 And it came to pass at midnight
that the LORD struck all the
firstborn in the land of Egypt,

The lamb was to be eaten before midnight. At midnight the firstborn males
of Egypt were killed and this ended the Passover observance. Verse 22
states that no one was to go out of their house until 'morning', but this
'morning' was not sunrise! Note, that when Christ and His disciples kept
this Passover they departed for the Mount of Olives many hours before
sunrise. Once the angel had passed over at midnight there was no longer
any need to refrain from leaving one's house.

[ NB: Exodus 12:10 refers to a 'morning' when the non-edible
remains of the lamb would be burnt. The 'morning' in
this case would be sunrise! Those who observed this
Passover ceremony would normally go to sleep after
midnight and rise around sunrise to burn the remains
of the lamb. ]

The examples of the Passover observances, the temple Passover and the
family Passover, indicate that the term 'between the evenings' defined
the time between sunset and midnight.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

The phrase 'between the evenings' is found in the original Hebrew in a
number of scriptures.

a) When God gave quail to the children of Israel in the
wilderness.

Exod 16:12 "I have heard the murmurings of the children
of Israel. Speak to them, saying, At twilight
(between the evenings) you shall eat meat,
and in the morning you shall be filled with
bread. And you shall know that I am the LORD
your God.

b) When the second daily lamb was to be offered.

Exod 29:39 One lamb you shall offer in the
morning, and the other lamb you
shall offer at twilight (between
the evenings).

Exod 29:41 And the other lamb you shall offer at twilight
(between the evenings); and you shall offer with
it the grain offering and the drink offering, as
in the morning, for a sweet aroma, an offering
made by fire to the LORD.

Num 28:4 The one lamb you shall offer in the morning,
the other lamb you shall offer in the evening
(between the evenings).

Num 28:8 The other lamb you shall offer in the evening
(between the evenings); as the morning grain
and its drink offering, you shall offer it as
an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the
LORD.

c) When Aaron lit the lamps.

Exod 30:8 And when Aaron lights the lamps at twilight
(between the evenings), he shall burn incense
on it, a perpetual incense before the LORD
throughout your generations.

d) When the Passover lamb was killed.

Exod 12:6 Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth
day of the same month. Then the whole assembly
of the congregation of Israel shall kill it
at twilight (between the evenings).

e) When the feast of the LORD's Passover was observed.

Lev 23:4 These are the feasts of the LORD, holy convocations
which you shall proclaim at their appointed times.
:5 On the fourteenth day of the first month at twilight
(between the evenings) is the LORD's Passover.

Num 9:3 On the fourteenth day of this month, at twilight
(between the evenings), you shall keep it at its
appointed time. According to all its rites and
ceremonies you shall keep it.

Num 9:5 And they kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of
the first month, at twilight (between the evenings),
in the Wilderness of Sinai; according to all that
the LORD commanded Moses, so the children of Israel
did.

Num 9:11 On the fourteenth day of the second month, at
twilight (between the evenings), they may keep it.
They shall eat it with unleavened bread and bitter
herbs.

Becoming aware that there are two evenings in a day, does not necessarily
mean that sunset does not end the day. However, it does create a need to
identify the second evening and consider the possibility that the second
evening, and not sunset, may end the day.

To explain the two evenings some have suggested they represent the times
of 1)sunset and 2)arrival of night, ie so that 'between the evenings'
represents dusk.

Others feel the first evening is a time prior to sunset; such as 3.00pm
in the afternoon, when the shadows start to lengthen and it becomes
apparent the work day is coming to an end.

Before considering such issues we should note how Scripture describes
the daylight period.

Jer 31:35 Thus says the LORD,
Who gives the sun for a light by day,
And the ordinances of the moon and the stars
for a light by night, ...

John 11:9 Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours
in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he
does not stumble, because he sees the light
of this world.

These verses seem to indicate a 24 hour day is composed of 12 hours
of daylight and another 12 hours of night. There is no inference of
any lessening of the night to 10 hours in order to cater for an hour
of dusk after sunset and another hour before sunrise. Rather, it seems
a particular point in time would either fall in the period of daylight
or the period of night.

Few of the activities which fell 'between the evenings' are precisely
timed. There is though a verse which indicates the 2nd lamb was offered
after sunset.

Lev 6:20 This is the offering of Aaron and his sons,
which they shall offer to the LORD, beginning
on the day when he is anointed: one-tenth
of an ephah of fine flour as a daily grain
offering, half of it in the morning and half
of it at night.

Half the grain offering was offered with the evening lamb, so this
means the 2nd lamb was also offered at 'night', ie after sunset.

The ritual observance which provides the best indicator of the timing
of the period 'between the evenings' is Passover.

http://www.bibleinsight.com/day2.html

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement