Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Ain't no sunshine where I'm goin' ...

Author Topic: Ain't no sunshine where I'm goin' ...
mpaper345
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaper345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right Eden any music that is of the world not contributed ti lifting up God in praise no matter how innocent it may seem is still a worldly song and coming from the flesh and to please the flesh and not to please God so we should only listen to music that praises God since we are Christians.

Anything that is not of the Spirit is not right.Anything that does not give honor and glory to God is not right.
Some people who claim to be with Christ will tone it down and do some things that do not praise God but on a small level and think it is alright but it is not alright.

Don't you know that a small bit of leaven leavens the whole bread.A little sin still corrupts the person.All sin is unrighteousness to God.The Bible says everything we do is to lift up God and His ways and toning it down to where it seems insignificant,only a small sin,is still sin and not honoring God.

Matt

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is absolutely wonderful ... thank you, byfaith.

[Kiss] Eden (forgive me, husband)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 8 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, byfaith, it's good to know that there are others like me out there. John Hale, bless his soul, thought of it as a "monastic tendency", and I know what he means, but I would think of it more as "immersion" or "baptism":

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

love, Eden [/QB][/QUOTE]

Indeed there are others, and maybe more than you are aware that have this conviction. It was at first a pill I didn't think I "needed" to swallow, but once I did...I saw the difference!

I commend you in your search for a wife that holds to the same convictions as you have. That makes a great marriage.
I am happy to say that my husband is "of the same mind" as I am....although there are the few "disputable" things that pop up on occasion, I am fully completed by him as a husband.

The verse in Galatians you quoted speaks volumes in so many areas of our Christian walk.

Anyway, I was glad to have found this topic Eden, because like I said it was a struggle for me at first but a sweet reward to obey in the end.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Amen, byfaith, it's actually amazing to me how many Christians think it's okay to play worldly, non-Christian music. When I was trying to find a Christian wife (haven't found her yet) on a CHRISTIAN SINGLES site, my one requirement was that they are themselves already only playing Christian music in their house, and out of thousands of Christian women on these Christian Singles sites, there may be ONE Christian woman who states that she only plays Christian music.

Some Christian women will even say, "I like all kinds of music, except rap".

That amazes me because Paul said that we Christians should make it a habit to sing songs of praise to the Lord in our heart.

Don't they realize that the Resurrected, Living, Active, Lord Jesus up in heaven is taking notes of what music Christians are playing and that He considers what music they are playing as a sign of where their heart is at?

To me, a song can only be inspired by two sources: by the Holy Spirit, or by the spirit of this world. A Christian song will always praise the Lord. So why would any Christian want to play songs inspired by the spirit of this world?

When I realized the above some years ago, I threw all my secular sheetmusic and albums in the trashcan, and it reminded me of what Paul said:

Philippians 3:8
Yes, doubtless, and I count all things but as loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord; for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and do count them but as dung, that I may win Christ.

When I jog, I listen to Christian music. When I'm reading Christian books, I listen to Christian music, when I'm writing on the computer I listen to Christian music. And when I don't play music, I don't listen to anything else.

My guitar songsheets are all Christian, my guitars have only played Christian music. IF THE MUSIC IS NOT INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, IT IS INSPIRED BY THE DEVIL, THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD.

So for instance I think someone like Amy Grant made a HUGE MISTAKE when she decided to "expand the people she could sell records to" by also starting to sing SECULAR worldly music, and in my opinion, as a result the Lord cannot bless her as much as the Lord WOULD have, had she remained SANCTIFIED or SET APART unto the Lord. I liked Amy Grant as a Christian singer, but now that she has "crossed over" as they say, I would not dream of buying one of her records.

Anyway, byfaith, it's good to know that there are others like me out there. John Hale, bless his soul, thought of it as a "monastic tendency", and I know what he means, but I would think of it more as "immersion" or "baptism":

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

love, Eden

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Hi, John Hale, thank you for your kind and calm reply ... you wrote
quote:
but I did benefit from that time in my life if nothing else to know how to have compassion on those who encase themselves in religious cocoons as I did... not that Eden is doing that or for the reasons I did... mind you.
One thing about music, it will sing in our spirits all by itself once it is stored within us. For instance, there was a time in my life when I still listened to say, Elvis Presley, and I might wake up in the morning and an Elvis song might be singing in my spirit.

Then there came a day in my life when I felt that if a song was not a Christian song praising the Lord, then it had to be a song praising Lucifer's world in some way and I stopped listening to worldly songs.

But as a result I find that now only Christian songs sing in my spirit during the day or when i wake up or long after I have turned off the Christian CD, the Christian songs are still playing in my spirit, as if I have a Christian-music-only jukebox inside of me now.

So the Apostle Paul wrote, both to the Ephesian church and to the Colossian church, showing the importance that he attached to the subject:

Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

So I discovered that the ONLY WAY that the above can actually be accomplished is when we exclusively listen to Christian music, then the psalms and spiritual songs will RICHLY sing in us to the Lord.

So you can call it a "monastic tendency in Eden" if you want, but to me it is a spiritual principle, that the only way that Paul's admonition can be accomplished is when when ONLY BEGINS TO LISTEN to Christian music, and then those songs play within one's spirit by themselves, by grace (for free, without putting a quarter in), to the Lord.

There is NO OTHER WAY that this can be accomplished. If we even listen to a FEW WORLDLY SONGS, these worldly songs will definitely start to sing inside our spirit, not to the Lord but to the world (and ultimately to its prince), it's like a spiritual law; it can only be accomplished by EXCLUSIVE LISTENING TO CHRISTIAN MUSIC; all other methods will fail.

And the Lord also is aware of what music we are playing; He takes note of it and considers it as a sign of devotedness or lack thereof. If Jesus came to sit down on your couch right now, would He like the kind of music that you were playing?

Please know that Jesus knows what kind of music we are playing and that it tells Jesus from heaven just how deep our interest in Him is. If we are still playing mostly worldly music and are still reading mostly worldly books, don't you think that tells Jesus something about the condition of our heart?

"Ain't no sunshine where I'm going ..." [angel3]

love, Eden

I agree with this post, and have recently in my own life come to see this.
Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, John Hale, thank you for your kind and calm reply ... you wrote
quote:
but I did benefit from that time in my life if nothing else to know how to have compassion on those who encase themselves in religious cocoons as I did... not that Eden is doing that or for the reasons I did... mind you.
One thing about music, it will sing in our spirits all by itself once it is stored within us. For instance, there was a time in my life when I still listened to say, Elvis Presley, and I might wake up in the morning and an Elvis song might be singing in my spirit.

Then there came a day in my life when I felt that if a song was not a Christian song praising the Lord, then it had to be a song praising Lucifer's world in some way and I stopped listening to worldly songs.

But as a result I find that now only Christian songs sing in my spirit during the day or when i wake up or long after I have turned off the Christian CD, the Christian songs are still playing in my spirit, as if I have a Christian-music-only jukebox inside of me now.

So the Apostle Paul wrote, both to the Ephesian church and to the Colossian church, showing the importance that he attached to the subject:

Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

So I discovered that the ONLY WAY that the above can actually be accomplished is when we exclusively listen to Christian music, then the psalms and spiritual songs will RICHLY sing in us to the Lord.

So you can call it a "monastic tendency in Eden" if you want, but to me it is a spiritual principle, that the only way that Paul's admonition can be accomplished is when one ONLY BEGINS TO LISTEN to Christian music, and then those songs play within one's spirit by themselves, by grace (for free, without putting a quarter in), to the Lord.

There is NO OTHER WAY that this can be accomplished. If we even listen to a FEW WORLDLY SONGS, these worldly songs will definitely start to sing inside our spirit, not to the Lord but to the world (and ultimately to its prince), it's like a spiritual law; it can only be accomplished by EXCLUSIVE LISTENING TO CHRISTIAN MUSIC; all other methods will fail.

And the Lord also is aware of what music we are playing; He takes note of it and considers it as a sign of devotedness or lack thereof. If Jesus came to sit down on your couch right now, would He like the kind of music that you were playing?

Please know that Jesus knows what kind of music we are playing and that it tells Jesus from heaven just how deep our interest in Him is. If we are still playing mostly worldly music and are still reading mostly worldly books, don't you think that tells Jesus something about the condition of our heart?

"Ain't no sunshine where I'm going ..." [angel3]

love, Eden

John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly. I respect the monastic tendencies of folks like Eden and at the same time enjoy Christian liberty with folks like you, Miss Betty.

Paul's only warning is that while all things are lawful we will be wise not to be enslaved by the things of the world.

That the Lord is actively involved in rewarding us for good and punishing us for sin in this life. All judgment in eternity is for the believer already taken care of on the cross.

And if necessary, God will remove us from this life to spare our spirit in the day of judgment...

And we must decide individually whether or not to eat vegetables or meat (so to speak) but I respect people like Eden who practice being the furthest away from any distractions / detractions or sin...

...while others do not necessarily try to get away with as much as possible but understand that the state of sinlessness will not be achieved in this life... and while keeping the effort not to sin a high priority does not get all freaked out over failures...

Proverbs 24:16
16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

When I was in the stage I mentioned before about not reading anything but the Bible, listening to anything but Christian music and that only when Christian preaching was not on the radio at the time... I was literally tearing my shirt collars whenever I failed (typically seeing females out and about in Southern California dressed like Southern Californians tended to dress)... I was not looking for it, tried to avoid it to the point of being like the "bloody" Pharisees who ran into things to keep from seeing females who in that day were nearly wearing berkas compared to today...

Then I learned to put these things into perspective.

But I do not condemn or judge others for doing what I did for whatever their reasons... I did it for the wrong reasons but I did benefit from that time in my life if nothing else to know how to have compassion on those who encase themselves in religious cocoons as I did... not that Eden is doing that or for the reasons I did... mind you.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you John. You have a blessed evening.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Thanks for the welcome.

Ditto about the music.

Some is most definitely of the devil but not all is.

I understand about your convictions Eden. I was that way once and would read only scripture as far as book reading went.

For me...

it was necessary at the time for my focus and growth... for some there is a need for varying degrees of monastic tendencies. Sanctification can be in the midst of the storm... or secular world. But we must each make our own call in this regard and I respect yours, Eden.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like to listen to oldies music and some country. I will not listen to songs with profanity.
I like Ain't No Sunshine when she's gone. It is on my fav list on you tube. I realize that some people are convicted about secular music, but I do not believe all secular music is of the devil or even devil inspired.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, John Hale (welcome), I have no idea who did the song originally but I have heard the worldly version of it in my past.

I only listen to Christian music and I try to avoid letting my ears come in contact with worldly, secular music, wherever and whenever possible. But in some places hearing secular worldly music is hard to avoid, as in stores and restaurants, so I'm a realist; hearing some worldly music is unavoidable.

However, I so despise secular worldly music because I consider it music that was inspired by the prince of this world, Lucifer-Satan, who rules the spirit of the air, and Lucifer-Satan especially uses secular music to "put out his tone", so to speak.

So I was concerned when I heard myself singing "ain't no sunshine where I'm going" to the tune of "ain't no sunshine when I'm gone", until I realized that the Holy Spirit had changed its wording to sing "ain't no sunshine where I'm going" and reminded me of the two verses about Jesus being the light in the city of the saints, and that there would be "no sun where I was going". So now I can sing that refrain in peace.

love, Eden

John Hale
unregistered

on another board I posted one trying to stir up posts about the nature of God...

Hello... I'm the God who reads the newspaper over your shoulder...

wait... don't turn the page... I'm not done yet...

Here I AM
Yes it's me
Take my hand
And you'll see

Here I AM
Yes I'M Truth
All I want
Is to save you

... with the toleration of Mr. Lyle Lovett, I borrowed some of his lyrics to make a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvDPezXTzlI

What's the big plan of God?

Anybody here know?

Want to venture a guess?

Why did he make humanity, angels, or any other thing to exist other than the deity?

We tend to go tubing down the river of life and eternity in the area of what the Bible in Hebrews 6 and Jude 1 refer to as the elemental aspects of the faith and salvation. This is fine because the word and God's truth is shallow enough to wade in or deep enough to engulf the entire universe... but why only wade in?

If you think about it, chapters like Job 1 - 2 where God actually bargains with the devil or when the devil tries to get Jesus to bow down to him... these are mind blowing considering what is taking place and we at the shallow end of the pool scratch our heads as to why God did not simply pull out an eraser and wipe the devil out completely... there are biblical reasons...

...but in the wading pool you are never going to find them...

In 1 Corinthians 2 the Spirit of God is said to search the mind of God. Why is that? How can that be? And what does it imply if the persons of the Godhead are not in perfect telepathic harmony?

there are biblical reasons...

...but in the foot soaking pond you'll never find them...

Anyone want to dive in to the deep end (after donning the full scuba gear of God of course Ephesians 6)...???

John Hale
unregistered

Bravo. Spin on Bill Withers' song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone...

Is that an Apologetix tune?

Or did you come up with that on your own?

Eden
unregistered

Ain't no sunshine where I'm goin' ...

Revelation 21:23
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it; for the glory of God did lighten it and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Revelation 22:5
And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light; and they shall reign forever and ever.

When I go, I go, when I go ... away ...

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement