Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » God of Wonders part 2

Author Topic: God of Wonders part 2
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God of Power

Text: Job 38:1-7

Job had lost everything, even his health. Friends had come to sit with him as he scraped the sores that covered his body with a broken piece of pottery. Job in his suffering curses the day he was born. His friends respond by accusing him of sin, for certainly no righteous man would suffer so. In chapters 4 through 37 Job and each of his friends make and answer accusations by declaring what they consider to be great truths about the God of heaven. Finally, God appears to them and what He has to say puts all of them in their place.

38:1 the whirlwind - Whirlwind means tempest or storm. Who has not experienced fear at the approach of a severe thuderstorm, but what must it be like to stand in the presence of Almighty God? Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

38:2 Who is this - God knew who these men were, He knows us all perfectly. What He is saying is who do you think you are? You see these men all thought they pretty much had God figured out. The book of Job is full of their "great wisdom about God". What did they really know? Many truths yes, but where they went wrong was to assume they knew God's thoughts and His ways. God said in Isa 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Today we have the completed Word of God. It reveals many important truths and a treasure of exceeding great and precious promises. According to 1 Cor 2:15-16 we can even have the mind of Christ about that which God has revealed. There are many important things God wants us to be sure of. However, we should be careful that we not fall into the snare of Job and his friends in thinking we have God all figured out. Falling into this snare brings God down to our level. Listen to the words of Job about God in Job 23:2-6 Even to day is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning. Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat! I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me. Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me. The word "arguments" means rebukes, corrections, reproofs and impeachments. Can a man really rebuke or correct God? Job seemed certain he would know the words God would answer and understand what He would say. Really? Job was sure God would not contend with him concerning His great power, but in chapter 38 that is exactly what God did. At the end of God's great discourse Job seen himself in the reality of God's presence. Job 42:2-3 I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. You see we may think we have God figured out, but what we know is very little in the light of God's great power and wisdom. Job 42:5-6 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. I think most of us may have to do some repenting about what we think we know. God can not have His rightful place as long as we think we have Him all figured out or allow Him to be brought down to our level.

darkeneth counsel - Darkeneth counsel means to obscure or confuse advice or purpose. Many take the truths of God and use them in such a way as to obscure or confuse His true purpose. This they do because they are wise in their own conceit. You see, they have God all figured out and have brought Him down to their level.

words without knowledge - Here "words" means utterance or speech and "knowledge" means perception or understanding. Speech without understanding is about as beneficial as storm clouds without rain. Many take it upon them selves to speak in the name of God, but how many speak with true understanding? About as many as truly understand they know a very little and trust in a God who knows all. We must carefully choose our words when speaking in the name of God.

38:3 answer thou me - When we stand before God one day (as we all must) I wonder what we will say when He demands an answer from us about the way we portrayed Him to others? What will we say if He asks us, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth?" We will answer nothing, because there will be no answer.

We have a great opportunity. Which is to know the Creator of all things, the Savior of all men! His power is beyond calculation, His wisdom is limitless! He pours out His mercy on those who will fear Him, He pours out His love through forgiveness of sin! David wrote in Ps 8:1-4 O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; what is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? May we be strong enough to realize our weakness, may we be wise enough to understand we know nothing without God! Now please watch the videos below.

God of Power part 1

God of Power part 2

God of Power part 3

God of Power part 4

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement