Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » 1, 2, 5 ...... and 10, 20, 50....

Author Topic: 1, 2, 5 ...... and 10, 20, 50....
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, I thought you would never ask. lol

You are right on both counts. In the OT the law required that a person give 10% of their income and it was used to support the priesthood and the poor.

In the NT, however, it describes a different approach to giving, which is appropriate to the believer's new covenant relationship with God through Jesus.

Lets talk about now. Full time ministers have a right to be supported.

1 Cor 9:7-12 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
v8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
v9 For it is written in the law of Moses, "Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn." Doth God take care of oxen only?
v10 Or saith He is altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written; that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
v11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal (fleshly)things?
v12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

Acts 4:32-37....Acts 16:1:4....1 Cor 16:1-3....2 Cor 8:1-13 speak of giving.

Acts 6 : 1-4 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmurming of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
v2 Then twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said "It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
v3 Wherefore, brethern, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
v4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word."

That sort of covers the basics of NT times but lets talk about your interests.....

2 Cor 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity; for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeper wrote to Eden
quote:
If it is the will of God that you prosper, and it is, then in order to become prosperous you need to activate your proposal by doing what you plan to work for you. In the prayer of activation be sure to thank Him for the blessings that will come of it. Then....do it!
Actually, your comment raises a question for me, Keeper.

On the one hand the Bible says, "Give and it shall be given to you", some "30-fold, some 60-fold, and some 100-fold".

Luke 6
38 GIVE, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And many Bible teachers have RUN with those verses and taught the Christians, "If you will give, then surely God will cause you to prosper 30-fold, 60-fold, or 100-fold", right?

On the other hand, in a much more ancient scripture than Luke, the Bible records where JACOB said to the LORD, "OF WHATEVER YOU WILL GIVE ME, I WIL GIVE A TENTH PART":

Genesis 28
20 And JACOB vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God,

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: [b]and of all that YOu will give me I will surely give the tenth to You.

So what is it, my Christian friends, Give and it shall be given to me", or is it "Of whatsoever You will give me, I will give You a tenth"? These are two directly opposite provisions, aren't they?

I gave eight $1s and one $5 away today to poor people on the street, and I pray that the LORD will give me enough that a tenth part will amount to me giving $10s, $20s, and $50s to the poor people, much to everyone's astonishment, for what Darwinian would "ever do a stupid thing like that???"

love, Eden
"LORD, of whatever You wil give me, I will give the tenth part" or is it, "Give and it shall be given to you"?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is the will of God that you prosper, and it is, then in order to become prosperous you need to activate your proposal by doing what you plan to work for you. In the prayer of activation be sure to thank Him for the blessings that will come of it. Then....do it !
Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a neat idea. Praying for God to bless your finances.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my frequent jog and/or dinner at Happy Hour at the Japanese restaurant in my home city, I've been giving away 5 loose US$1 bills and also have been giving 2 US$1 bills at a time, with one "grand price gift" of $5 for a "blessed recipient".

I've been praying Lord Jesus in heaven seated at the right hand of the Father to miraculously INCREASE MY FINANCES so that I can give away US$10 and US$20 and US$50 as the "grand price gift" to those in need on the street, and get an opportunity to preach Jesus to them.

Please pray with me that that will happen, LOL.

I will still love all of you, I promise...

Eden of Chilmad

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement