Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What Can I Learn from a Man who Trusted God Completely?

Author Topic: What Can I Learn from a Man who Trusted God Completely?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup2]
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Can I Learn from a Man who Trusted God Completely?
Job 13:15

Dr. Dave M. Hartson

Job 13:15 (NIV)
15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.
And so this morning I want us to see what can we learn from a man who trusted God completely.

1. I can learn from a man who trusted God completely that it takes more faith to trust God during the bad times than it does during the good times.

Job 2:9-10 (NIV)
9 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"
10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

A. Job’s story is quite simple. He had everything and he lost everything. Obviously, his wife was trusting God along with her husband when times were good. They were just one big trusting family in God. But when times got bad; when times got difficult Job continued trusting God but his wife didn’t. She didn’t have the faith to trust God during the bad times. She told her husband curse God and die.

B. As a pastor, I would always wonder why during the bad times in a person’s life you don’t see them in church. It would seem to me that if you are going through a tough time in your life then church is where you need to be. But I forgot one important thing: it takes a greater faith to trust God in the bad times as compared to the good times. And not everybody has that greater faith. Job’s wife obviously didn’t.

C. Today, I wonder when the bad times come against you do you have the faith to trust God during those times? How has your track record been in the past when difficult times came your way? Did you continue trusting God? It takes a greater faith to trust God during the bad times as compared to the good times.

2. I can learn from a man who trusted God completely that sometimes my trust in God has to be in spite of well intentioned people.

Job 13:13-14 (NIV)
13 "Keep silent and let me speak; then let come to me what may.
14 Why do I put myself in jeopardy and take my life in my hands?

A. Job had three well intentioned friends who came to encourage him. For several days they just sat in silence with him. But unfortunately when they opened their mouths instead of words of encouragement they spoke words of condemnation.

B. Isn’t it so true that sometimes the biggest hindrance to our trusting God in a situation comes from well intentioned Christians or family members who say the wrong thing and as result they shot down your trust in God? They will say something like: “I have never seen God do something like that before” or “What makes you think God will do that for you?”

C. If we learn anything we may learn that sometimes the best thing to help someone is to just let them know that we are there for them and are praying for them. If I happen to be trusting God for something today I may need to learn that sometimes my trusting God must be in spite of my friends.

3. I can learn from a man who trusted God completely that sometime in my life my trust may be put to the maximum test.

15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.

A. Job realized that God could put him to the maximum test. In Job’s case the maximum test would be a willingness to give up his life to show God that he trusted Him. But Job wasn’t the only one that God put to the maximum test in the Bible. Didn’t God ask Abraham to offer his son, his only son, as a sacrifice to him? Didn’t God have Daniel spend some time in the lions den because He trusted God? Didn’t three young Hebrew children walk in a fiery furnace because they trusted God? In each case their trust was tested to the max.

4. I can learn from a man who trusted God completely that he does not have to be consumed about what the devil and his demons are doing.

A. As the story of Job unfolds we get to understand that Job is under attack by Satan because God has allowed Satan permission to attack him. But what is so interesting to me is that in the Book of Job, Job is not consumed about the devil. He is not worried about where the devil is or what is he doing or what the devil is going to do next.

B. Job knew that if he trusts God completely the devil can not do anything in his life that God does not allow. And if God allows it then I can trust God to see me through it. There is no way Satan can have victory over me if I am trusting God completely.

C. I have a real problem with Christians, who see Satan behind every bush; who see Satan behind every problem that they experience in life; or who are constantly talking about how Satan is attacking them.

D. If I am trusting God completely what Satan is doing doesn’t bother me because I know Satan can not have victory over me.

5. I can learn from a man who trusted God completely that it so naturally to talk about life beyond this life.

A. Suppose that God would slay Job then obviously he would be dead. But look at what he says: “I will defend my ways to his face.” How can he defend his ways to God’s face if he is dead? The obvious answer: there must be life after death; there must be that place called heaven.

B. Interestingly, according to Barna Research Group only 46% of Americans believe heaven is a place of eternal existence in God’s presence. That means that 54% believe heaven is something else- 30% believe that it is a place of soul rest; 14% believe it is just symbolic; 5% believe there is no such place and 5% are not sure.

C. I think that survey tells me that not many people trust God completely because it is just naturally if you trust God completely to believe in life after death.

Hebrews 11:17-19 (NIV)
17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son,
18 even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."
19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

D. Abraham trusted God completely so it was naturally that God could raise his son from the dead. Today, if you are doubting heaven is a real place; I can tell you that it is a trust issue.

Conclusion:
Today, some of you here are not trusting God completely in your life situation. You are not trusting Him for that soul mate that He will bring in your life at the right time. You are not trusting Him for those finances which are in shambles. You are not trusting Him to see you through this season of difficulties or that season of pain that you are experiencing. He desires that you trust Him completely.
So we will open up the altar and allow you to talk with Him. Will you come?

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement