Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Am I My Brother's Keeper?

Author Topic: Am I My Brother's Keeper?
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I My Brother's Keeper?
Peggie C. Bohanon

A Hurting Word...

Jason is...just ask him! This week at dinner, he "innocently" asked, "Do you think Joey should have some broccoli?" Now you must understand--Jason, 13, is his brother's keeper, not for humanitarian reasons--actually, just to BUG him! That's what a 16-year-old brother is for, you know? Hopefully, the sibling rivalries of my two sons will never lead to a Cain-and-Abel story, and as they grow up, they will learn how much they've truly loved one another all the time! And if not, MOM will surely haunt them from her abode--whether on earth or in heaven! If you've got siblings in your home, you know exactly what I'm talking about...and if you HAD them, and they're GONE, you will smile...and remember WELL!

And speaking of "wells," it's time to go to the REAL well, where we can sit with Jesus and observe some brothers in the Bible...BOYS, you're welcome to come along--after you BOTH eat your broccoli!

A Helping Word...or Two!

The Wonder Brother--let's lend a discipling hand!

Thomas was a "wonder brother," probably fighting an inner faith/doubt war...I'm sure they were times that faith won, but the story we all remember is his bout with doubt...and doubt won....NO...faith won, and Thomas, recognizing his Lord, cried out, "My Lord and My God!" No need to touch the nail-scarred hands or feet. One look into the eyes of His Savior and faith won the day!

Do YOU know a "wonder brother," someone who is battling with faith and doubt, and it's a toss-up as to which one wins? Perhaps he's a new Christian, filled with questions--some you can answer with assurance and a Bible verse; some are just unanswerable, and he must learn trust, just as you do every day! Will you be a loving friend to lend a discipling hand to another? Will you be your brother's keeper? Reach out and share your faith--and your Father will be well pleased!

The Blunder Brother--let's show a loving heart!

Foot in mouth--or mouth in foot, that's Peter....always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, keeping silent when he should speak, speaking when he should keep silent. Do you know someone like that? Are YOU someone like that? We all have moments when we blunder in faults and failures--and we'd like to run--the other direction! Did Peter love the Lord? Of course, he did. He had made the choice to leave all and follow him. He was just human--just like the rest of us!

And so is that "blunder brother" in your church or next door, or across town! He loves the Lord too--and needs your love. Will you be a true friend to show a loving heart to a failing, fallen brother in your church? To an outspoken, quick-to-speak person you work with? Reach out and touch him with grace and love--and your Father will be well pleased!

The Thunder Brothers--let's lend a listening ear!

James and John could very well be Joey and Jason in MY home....thunder AND lightning are not uncommon--and life at Peggie's REAL Place can be quite an adventure. These loving disciples must have had lots of opinions and lots of advice--many words, and not always wise ones. But they loved the Lord--and that's the bottom line. The Lord must have delighted in choosing all twelve of these brothers, knowing full well they would not always see eye-to-eye, but they would learn! Three years in the presence of the omniscient One would teach them much--not just theology, but practical living! And James, John, and the other ten, had to learn just like us--we're family; we MUST listen; we MUST communicate. And thunder and lightning won't do it!

Do you know some "thunder brothers" at work, school, church, or home? Are YOU one? Whatever the case, let's all try to listen to one another...the gripes and groans can be softened by a loving, listening ear...and when it's all said and done, it's NOT said and done--until you pray. Now if you can get two "thunder brothers" in prayer, TOGETHER, God will do the rest. It's rather hard to stay in a storm mode, when the Calmer of the storm is listening! Why not let the Lord make you a real peacemaker--your brother's keeper! Reach out and touch him--or them--with a listening ear--and your Father will be well pleased!

Every church, school, home, workplace has them--the wonder brothers, the blunder brothers, the thunder brothers...and other brothers with NO rhyme or reason to them! Heaven help us all to BE the brother's keeper the Lord would have us be--to reach out and touch a troubled brother with the love of Christ. That's what HE, our Elder Brother, is yearning for...that His Body might work together, love together, heal together, with unity that the world knows nothing about. Let the Holy Spirit direct your paths to a brother this week--show him you care, and love him with all the grace, patience, and understanding God has shown you! You can make a difference in a brother's life this week--if you'll try!

And that's just a thought or two--from from my heart to yours!

His Healing Words

"But whosoever...seeth his brother have need and shutteth up his compassions from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17,18 KJV)."

"Lord, thank You for making me part of the family of God. Help me this week to reach out to a brother or sister in need. Help me to lift, encourage, and bless another--for I truly want to be my brother's keeper! In Jesus' Name, Amen."

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement