Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The switch!

Author Topic: The switch!
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus IS

doing it all. Either you abide in it, or you do not.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you see you'll say "Jesus, Jesus. Blessed is HE who comes in the name of the Lord. Jesus, my Jesus."

Amen!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wash!" It means the same as to go under the Cross. Kick off the clay which prevents us from seeing. Forget the worldly Christianity which is like a carrot dangling before a donkey. How long will we go around in circles, trapped in a harness connected to a grinding wheel? Discover life!
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno! You paddled.

Alright! You paddled, but where? It doesn't matter. He can put you back on course instantly, that is if you 'abide' in the Ark. When you paddle, essentially you are not in the Ark. You 'jump ship'. [Razz] (Since the ship is spiritual, worldly comparisons don't entirely add up.) NOBODY on the bus, oceanliner, or airship pilots the thing. He trusts. In the case of "THE ARK" the 'Ark' appears unmanned. But... We know who the pilot is: Eph 1:18 "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints." Yet we do not know (intimately enough) HIM, until we lay down the oars. Then, if we are supposed to be 'doing' something, we will discover it vividly. While however, we are doing our own paddling, our eyes are blinded. Mud gets in them from the splashing.

Joh 9:11 "He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight."

And what is clay? Our carnal nature is clay. His nature who is within us is spiritual. The clay covers HIM up. We cannot 'see' through muddy water. If we 'wash' we see 'through HIS eyes', with HIS heart.

Behold! There is the way hence!!! I must go there.

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Michael Harrison, you wrote
quote:
And HE'll not provide, until you lay down the oars.
So Jesus takes up the oars? Okay, let's say that Jesus takes up the oars?

My question to you is (and I'm very sincere about trying to find this out), Since I was taking up the oars before I let Jesus take up the oars, here is my question: Where did I go in the boat and what am I doing there?

love, Eden
"Nobody but You, Lord 2962"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

And HE'll not provide, until you lay down the oars.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works [doing], as God did from his.

Why? Because God finished already. What then will ye add toit?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Heb 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? [/b]
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith [which is] of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Scripture has concluded that every single man, woman and child is under sin, that the promise [of God] may by the very 'Faith [which is] of Jesus', be imparted to those who believe. So you live, breath and have your being by the faith 'of' Jesus, not by what you do.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ever wonder where the expression, "You are putting me on," comes from? It is an expression of unbelief which undoubtedly is a reference to the biblical. In the world it means, "You can't be serious!" And that is how people treat Christ. For they do not believe in 'putting HIM on.' Of course, in the world the expression means 'jesting with someone.' But in the faith people simply don't believe that they are to "put on Christ," meaning to 'wear' Him. Therefore they are content to abide separately from Him, and 'do' for Him. This they do in sin. And they do this supposing that they are supposed to 'work' for HIM, externally. That means that they see themselves as separate, as in servicing HIM as the kingdoms of the world (like Joe and the volcano). But HE is Spirit. So it works differently. The Kingdom is within us. HE is within us. HE is the Kingdom. He is Lord. And either we do not believe Him, or we do. And to believe Him means to believe in HIS doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves. He wants to be our source, our provision.

Let's take an auto for example. If you climb into a car and drive it, do you not 'put on' the car? Let's look at it another way. If the car accepts you behind the wheel to drive it, does the car not 'put you on?' Then, is it not either or, and also both? When you put on the car, the car puts on you. There is a cooperation. You put each other on. Ever heard the expression, "Nice fit?" And you are like the car, and the Lord steers by directing you perhaps like "Tom-Tom." But HIS GRACE empowers you to steer where HE wants you to. And HIS POWER accomplishes HIS will. (Unlike a car, you can rebel. Well the car can also, by breaking down.)

Jesus is looking for those who will surrender to HIS Lordship. On the higher plane, HE drives the car; you go along for the ride. That is what it means to enter HIS rest. And if HE is not in control, then you take the glory. He'll not allow that. But you steer, yet it is not you steering, if you are trusting. It just can't be explained.

And guess what, HE guides: He provides! Yet HE doesn't 'take' the wheel except by your willingness. He will not override your will. Few people will surrender it, for they want to 'work' for it. That means that they want to drive, and then HE is somehow glorified by it. But HE is not.

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

What is the 'yoke of bondage?' It is self-will. It is being subservient to the elements of the world. It is, not letting go and letting God.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

In walking in the Spirit, HE drives. Therefore you do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, the carnal will.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

You cannot 'do' the things you long to do, which you are so used to. For the same lusts against the the Spirit who carries you.

So... You don't overcome with HIS help. If you'll die, HIS strength will be found to overcome. (God's perfect plan) Jesus purchased the victory for us.

1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory, through our Lord Jesus Christ. We are 'havers' not 'doers'. But we are not 'havers' without the surrender of faith that HE is doing it all. For we only 'authorize' it by our faith. "Without faith it is impossible to please God."

...as we abide in HIS provision. Nowhere in this verse do we read that we 'work' for the victory! (That would mean that we drive.)

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Php 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Jesus is our example. He is our big brother, our friend, our God. That is excellent! And HE thought it not 'robbery' to be equal with God. Neither does HE find it to be robbery for us to be equal with Him. For this is what HE died for.

Luk 6:40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

And how is this so? It is 'by' Jesus, who gave Himself for us.

Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

But HE did not flaunt HIS glory. HE did not hold it over anyone. Instead, HE submitted Himself to the will of the Father. He allowed HIS Father to be in control, and served the Father by submission to HIS will. HE COMPLETELY trusted the Father, and the Father's will to be done.

He is our big brother, our example.

Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

He became as a 'robot'. But was HE robotic? God doesn't make robots. HE makes living creatures. And living creatures we are, with a will, which chooses whether to serve Him in faith, or not. Every choice is a choice.

Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

And God was glorified in HIS (Our Lord Jesus') obedience. For HIS submission purchased the release of untold souls, which release most people only partly choose.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Where does faith response come in? Why, I marvel: Does it not take faith in submitting to Christ, to allow HIM to do it all? Where then does faith response come in? HE will not force you to submit. HE will not 'take' it from you. You have to honor HIM by the faith action, being the act of your will.

Is it not a 'choice'? Will you not 'assimilate' THIS truth into your life?

Let me ask you oneinchrist, is your 'experience' the standard you are to judge by? Does everyone get to have his own standard.

quote:
Now, about Jesus doing it all. If Jesus did it all, then where does faith-response come in? It seems to me that you are on the verge of making us out to be robots instead of human beings who can choose whether or not we will assimilate the truth of God into our lives.

This is what I have experienced in my life. The Holy Ghost is in me. He has a will, He has a personality, and He is a person. He cannot operate out of the will of God, but He is enabled freedom within that purpose. If I co-operate with the Holy Ghosts leading in my life, it is then that the Holy Ghost and me function together in the glorifying of Jesus.

Now, I still give glory to the Lord as the source of all things, but I am careful not make Him appear to vain-glorify(showy display of power) Himself. Jesus gives me the freedom to choose whether or not I will assimilate His Word into my life, appropriate the Holy spirits guidance, and open my mouth to give glory to Him.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

My question oneinchrist: Are you willing to become a robot if that is what HE requires, or is your answer a flat NO? Is HIS will what is important, or is your choice of how to serve HIM more important?
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Eden! Why do you think we call Him LORD?

If HE is not in control, is HE LORD? He gives to each one a choice: submit, or decline. Will you decline?

quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
I guess this is as good a place as any, Michael Harrison, to ask you this question, probably once again, if you don't mind.

This week I was wondering again "who was in the driver's seat, me or Jesus", and I was also wondering "if it made any difference WHO was/is in the driver's seat, as long as Jesus is sitting in at least ONE of the seats, telling me what I should do next?

Michael Harrison, does it make any difference WHO is sitting in the driver's seat, and who do YOU think is sitting in the driver's seat, please?

Thank you. Eden
"This is how it feels to be free" (from a Christian CD)

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
It really gets tiring Michael to have this kind of fellowship. I dont feel like I study the word with you because it seems that you always feel the need to be the teacher.
Did I impose upon you to join this thread? You volunteered. And should I agree with your understanding just because you want it to be right? I have this confidence, which Paul related about himself:

Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Straight is the gate and narrow is the way. Few there be that enter.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel [thumbsup2]
quote:
Hi Michael,
You have said many things in your above posts........but I still know in my heart that yielding to Jesus is yielding to His WORD and His SPIRIT. You seem to have it ingrained in your head that Jesus just does everything and that there is no real test of our faith in the Lord. Jesus does not glorify Himself. When we obey His Word and follow the leading of the Holy Ghost, Jesus is glorified............for it is then that His Name is sanctified among the people.
Though I do agree with some of what you preach, I question how much you depend and rely on the scriptures for your daily instruction.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
The Father glorifies the Son, and the Son glorifies the Father.

Hebrews 5:5-11
So also Christ DID NOT GLORIFY HIMSELF to become High Priest, but it was He who said to Him:

"You are my Son, Today I have begotten You."

As He also says in another place:

"You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek";

who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, called by God as High Priest "according to the order of Melchizedek," of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. END

Now, about Jesus doing it all. If Jesus did it all, then where does faith-response come in? It seems to me that you are on the verge of making us out to be robots instead of human beings who can choose whether or not we will assimilate the truth of God into our lives.

This is what I have experienced in my life. The Holy Ghost is in me. He has a will, He has a personality, and He is a person. He cannot operate out of the will of God, but He is enabled freedom within that purpose. If I co-operate with the Holy Ghosts leading in my life, it is then that the Holy Ghost and me function together in the glorifying of Jesus.

Now, I still give glory to the Lord as the source of all things, but I am careful not make Him appear to vain-glorify(showy display of power) Himself. Jesus gives me the freedom to choose whether or not I will assimilate His Word into my life, appropriate the Holy spirits guidance, and open my mouth to give glory to Him.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, oneinchrist, you wrote
quote:
--I believe that Jesus does not do it all because He does not glorify Himself.
Uhh...Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father, and whatever the Son hears from His Father, the Son relays to the Holy Spirit inside of believers, so I think that if a saved soul "ceases from his own works" and "let's Jesus in him be the "user of the vessel" instead of he himself being the "user of his own vessel",,, then Jesus would not be glorifying Himself, would be, since He would "merely be relaying what the Father told Jesus"?

But that does lead to a valid question, "Eventhough Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father, does Jesus now do His own thinking or does Jesus still "only do what the Father says the believer should do"?

love, Eden
"the switch?"

Eden
unregistered

I guess this is as good a place as any, Michael Harrison, to ask you this question, probably once again, if you don't mind.

This week I was wondering again "who was in the driver's seat, me or Jesus", and I was also wondering "if it made any difference WHO was/is in the driver's seat, as long as Jesus is sitting in at least ONE of the seats, telling me what I should do next?

Michael Harrison, does it make any difference WHO is sitting in the driver's seat, and who do YOU think is sitting in the driver's seat, please?

Thank you. Eden
"This is how it feels to be free" (from a Christian CD)

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Michael,
What I dont understand about you Michael is the fact that you have the attitude that your theology trumps everyone elses beliefs about God and the bible. I rarely ever see you agree with anyone but yourself. No one is right, but you. It really gets tiring Michael to have this kind of fellowship. I dont feel like I study the word with you because it seems that you always feel the need to be the teacher. These are the following things that I know that I disagree with........

--I believe that sanctification(becoming more Holy) is a "growing process".

--I believe that our faith towards the Lord is tested.

--I believe that Jesus does not do it all because He does not glorify Himself.

--I do not believe that just because a person believes in obedience to the gospel that that must mean they are trying to earn their way to heaven.
BUT...............
I do agree with you that Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Take for example overcoming temptation. Is it incumbent upon you to overcome? Does HE ask, knowing you don't have the strength to? Or does HE want you to believe in Him, by whose life we are enabled to overcome. For HE knows you cannot overcome. So HE died to enable you. But do you 'do' it? No! If HE enables you, HE does it. You benefit. But you do not do it. For in the flesh you are a failure. And all you can do is fail.

But if your flesh could succeed, you would be filled with pride! Is that the 'obedience' that HE is after, that which would culminate in pride? Not! He wants to do it all! For the Glory is HIS. And HE does not share the Glory with you. And if you could 'do' it, HE would have to share the Glory with you. So the only ''obedience'' is to let HIM do it all!

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God. All things were made by Jesus (the word), and without him was not anything made that was made. And:

Joh 1:4 In him was [IS] life; and the life was [IS] the light of men.

Jesus is life. Jesus is the light, of believing men.

quote:
but I still know in my heart that yielding to Jesus is yielding to His WORD and His SPIRIT. sed oneinchrist
Is not 'yielding' to ''HIS'' word, yielding to Jesus himself? Is it not therefore the same as yielding to HIS Spirit. And what is HIS test of faith??? And therefore how is HE glorified? The test of faith is whether one believes 'who HE is to him. He is one's life! So if one ''obeys'', he obeys life. (If he does not obey, he obeys death.)

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Bible is the word of God. Jesus is the word of God. The Bible is the written 'revelation' of Jesus, the Word of God, to assist us in knowing Him, but the same. It instructs us to obey ''Who HE is.'' What good is it if we still do not get it and want to 'do' something that makes us feel like we are earning His favor??? For then we are not 'knowing' Him. We deceive ourselves. For we don't 'earn' His favor. We have it. But we have it only as we acknowledge that we were born in sin, but have His life as a replacement, that we may live, and have fellowship with HIM.

[quote] You seem to have it ingrained in your head that Jesus just does everything and that there is no real test of our faith in the Lord. Jesus does not glorify Himself. When we obey His Word and follow the leading of the Holy Ghost, Jesus is glorified............for it is then that His Name is sanctified among the people. sedoneinchrist [/b]

Your test of faith is, do you know who HE is to you? Do you know what HE does for you? Do you not believe that HE IS the power to obey, and you do not have in you that ability, apart from Him? Therefore, by Him, if you are yielded by faith to who HE is, you obey. By HIS life, you obey (if you have His life working in you). So where is the test? It is in whether you believe, not whether you 'do what you feel', thinking it to be obeying.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Michael,
You have said many things in your above posts........but I still know in my heart that yielding to Jesus is yielding to His WORD and His SPIRIT. You seem to have it ingrained in your head that Jesus just does everything and that there is no real test of our faith in the Lord. Jesus does not glorify Himself. When we obey His Word and follow the leading of the Holy Ghost, Jesus is glorified............for it is then that His Name is sanctified among the people.
Though I do agree with some of what you preach, I question how much you depend and rely on the scriptures for your daily instruction.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

One cannot express the spiritual in carnal terms. But that is the only thing some will accept. For it to be tangible to the one, it must involve 'doing', which one 'can' understand, therefore "having itching ears," all one will consider is such, until he or she goes through the winepress.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

[Bible] Eph 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

...if we 'get' it!

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened [made alive unto HIM], who were dead in trespasses and sins;

And ‘you’ hath HE turned from death, to life, who were previously ‘dead’ in sins. Sins, after all, separate from Him. That means that as a sinner, one is dead, or STONED, not benefiting from the life of God. So how then is one made alive? It is by becoming one with HIM. (It is thru repentance.) It is by being 'filled' with Him. Therefore, for that to happen, is that by what one ‘does’? Or does scripture say that HE, God in Christ Jesus, does it? How then will one individual ‘accomplish’ it, if HE does it? (Our part is passive.)

(Next!)
This is worth noting: Charles Trumbull wrote that if satan cannot stop one from performing, or functi0ning in the will of God, he will try to drive one beyond the will of God. This happens almost without exception to the believer early in his walk, while he is still in the wilderness. And the passage Eph 2:3 which speaks of one’s “having fulfilled the desires of the flesh and of the mind” as a matter of course, and once upon a time, supposedly is referring to the time before he or she was saved. But is that to what Paul is referring? Remember, he is speaking to Christians about Christianity here. He is not preaching to the unsaved. And he is stating a fact. However, he is after the believer to assess him or herself, to discover whether it is true of him still such that he or she can safely say that it was so in the past, but not now.

Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

How is it that it applies to the saved? Well, in fact, it happens to the believer that he or she ’supposes’ that one must ’add’ to God, else the one feels under condemnation as though failing Him. This is satan however, satan driving one to 'perform' what only God by HIS grace can. What he or she doesn’t realize is that in so doing (trying to add to God), he is doing the same thing that he did in his past life. What is different though, is the matter of application. When one is saved, in his zeal, he ‘applies’ himself to ‘salvation’ issues, but using the soulish state to do so (or emotionalism). This he does supposing to add to, or accomplish something on behalf of his salvation, or the service unto the will of God by self-effort, or by literally lusting unto it. Yet it isn't needed. Perhaps this verse sheds some light:

“Not by power nor by might, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord.”

This :: is the message of Paul on how to 'abide', in that you don’t lead God. You don’t ‘do’ the doing. You don't 'cause' anything (except by faith). You walk and if anything prospers, it will be in the finished work. And to accomplish this one must put Jesus first. So the straight and narrow way, for those who are searching, consists of 'discovering' what it really means to 'do' that! It isn't by doing, but by the surrender of faith in what HE is doing. It also is a matter of accepting HIS will for the one.

Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.

How does one ‘put’ on the Lord Jesus Christ? One puts on the Lord Jesus Christ by faith, from the innermost of one’s heart. By putting on Christ, Christ puts on you. It is the only thing that can happen, a simultaneous union of the two in this embrace. Else one is separate in thought and deed. (And he cannot therefore "have the mind of Christ.")

The act of not making provision for the flesh to fulfill the lusts thereof, requires confidence in Christ, whom one has ‘put on’. It requires faith in the 'finished' work HE did on the Cross, and it is ongoing, as one trusts in it. Therefore, in so accomplishing (see what I mean, accomplishing but it is having), the imagination of one’s heart does not deceive him into false conceptions of service which amount to wood, hay and stubble. And his ‘conversation’ (KJV, meaning behavior) is as a result, pure! He is a vine, bearing fruit because he is 'resting' in God.

And relationship does not come from DOING! Doing completely misses the relationship. In other words, what one does, very well meaning, is try to 'draw near to God' by doing. It doesn't work that way.

So, God's 'rest' is when one lays it all down, without exception, to let God do the doing. Then one does not lead, but follow. And we are called to follow.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

And if it is 'DONE', how hard then is it to 'do' it?

Does no man want to 'serve' Christ? No! Quite simply, you want to 'work' for it. But that is invalid.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
It is impossible for man to overcome without God's strength, yet man is expected to exercise all the powers that God has given him so that he can be an overcomer. Divine power, combined with human effort, so that through Jesus Christ, man may stand " a conqueror."

GBTH

How does God's strength work for us? Is it HIS strength, plus our effort? You may have heard that "God helps those who help themselves." I often did, growing up. But the devil made that up to defeat the believer. For it is not man's effort, with or without the 'help' of God, that enables a man to overcome. It is entirely the providence of God, and the finished work of Christ that enables us to overcome.

Our sole effort is to 'repent', and that from unbelief.

Self effort is sin. Self effort, or 'purposing' adds nothing to the finished work of God. For if it added anything to God, one would be able to boast as though he 'accomplished' something. God does not enable one to boast. It is all HIS doing, or it isn't done.

Rom 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Eph "For grace are ye saved, through faith, not by works, lest any man should boast."

Boasting, according to the verse mind you, we cannot do. That's HIS rule. Why? Because we do not 'do' whatever it is that accomplishes our justification, or overcoming. So then what does? Faith! Boasting is excluded because only faith accomplishes anything on our behalf - not 'doing'. That would be works. Dead ones!

Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

So, the author therefore says, we conclude that a man is justified by faith, without, purposing, or doing, i.e. trying to 'do' the law, or whatever we think makes us Christian. For any effort a man puts into it usurps God of what HE did by trying to take credit. And only what HE did, and does, counts.

God doesn't expect you to 'do' it. HE expects you to walk in it. And it is 'DONE'. That completely takes it away from you to 'try' to do.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

So somehow one 'believes' (recognizes) but one is defeated. Well, there is 'belief' which is victorious. One should not abandon himself to defeat.

Godz luv! Get it!

Amen!

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

So no man, by 'doing' the law, can accomplish one whit of justification in HIS sight! We just read that "by doing the deeds of the law, no doer can be justified," as far as HE is concerned.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The law reveals to us a boundary. This boundary shows us where we cross (transgress) it. When we are not fully trusting the Lord, we cross it. If we are not fully trusting HIM, we are automatically, in any given moment, 'crossing' it. So someone said, "Since I cannot 'do' the law, then I am free to sin. Hah! Cause I am justified. Hah!

Hah!

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

But the 'righetousness of God is manifested?

It is? I mean, where?

In us. Where else? Fact: Rom 3:21, "But the righteousness of God is manifested."

But someone said, "If I cannot 'do' the law,
how is it manifested?

Answer: It is not, except under the stated condition. So don't deceive yourselv.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ [is manifested] unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Oh, it seems that 'to believe' is key! Else righteousness is not manifested. And manifested means present, functional, actually there. Therefore if one says that since he cannot 'do' the law and receive one whit of justification for even 'trying', he must therefore be accepted already, as he is, being as one who cannot 'do' the law but somehow he is nevertheless 'justified'.

Then the righteousness of God would not be manifested. That doesn't meet the condition. It settles for compromise. For this kind of thinking doesn't believe. It mocks! It denies. It defies. Righteousness cannot be manifested in mockery, or defiance. Therefore one is in his sins. But is he still justified, no?

Well, there is 'on', and there is 'off'. Belief is 'on'. (But what kind of belief?) Unbelief is 'off'. Faith turns it on. It is like a light switch. And if the switch is off, it is dark in the room. Is one who is in the dark, justified?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement