Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The One Thing that is Needed

Author Topic: The One Thing that is Needed
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie dokie then

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found in Him wrote
quote:
How much "time" a day does it take to... love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength?
Well, that's a little different. I agree with you that that kind of relationship with the Lord usually is the result of whatever time we HAVE spent with the Lord. In other words, I'm now at the point where I think about the Lord and thank Him often throughout the day, but that is not exactly "taking the time to make the Lord a priority", because that kind of 24/7 relationship with the Lord is something cultivated over time until indeed we DO love the Lord "all day long".

But that's a little different than saying "Mary sat at the feet of Jesus" and "she also did help with the cooking", etc., which seemed to refer more to the PHYSICAL time that we spend with the Lord such as Bible study and prayer.

But for sure, the real glory of the Christian life starts when a Christian has reached the point where he or she is thanking and praising and thinking on the Lord all the day long. But that's a little different than "sitting at His feet".

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much "time" a day does it take to... love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength?

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found in Him wrote
quote:
Her priority is not "many things" but the "one thing" that is "needed." Time with The Lord must always come first!

To me He seems to be saying, "I don’t want all your hurried, harried, worried, distracted busyness. I want you near to me, just come near and listen to me."

Okay, but families have mortgages to pay and other bills and kids to look after and have to cook for 14 "octomom" children, and take the kids to soccer practice for exercise, and so yes, we need to study with the Lord, but as a practical matter, who do you know other than monks who sit "more than half their 24/7 time at the feet of the Lord"?

I myself find myself reading one or 2 hours in the Bible and I listen to Christian music daily and I participate on this Christian bbs, but it IS less than half my 24/7 that is for sure, so how then can we REALLY say:
quote:
Her priority is not "many things" but the "one thing" that is "needed." Time with The Lord must always come first!
The reality is that we Christians sit with the Lord for a couple of hours of each day (if that), isn't it, so that is NOT exactly "Time with The Lord must always come first!" is it?

And if you mean that it is the FIRST thing that I should do AT THE START of my day, I think that each Christian reads the Word, etc., whenever they decide to do it during their day, isn't it, like my time is at night before I go to bed so that would be "last in time with the Lord"?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Luke 10:38-42 (King James Version)

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Both Mary and Martha loved Jesus. Both sisters wanted to serve Him. They have much in common. Yet, what divides them is priority. Martha’s priority is duty.

Mary’s priority is devotion. For Mary, nothing is more important that sitting at Jesus’ feet. She doesn’t mind helping prepare the meal. She isn’t lazy. She does her part. Yet, she understands that spiritual food is eternal and that physical food is temporary. Her priority is not "many things" but the "one thing" that is "needed." Time with The Lord must always come first!

To me He seems to be saying, "I don’t want all your hurried, harried, worried, distracted busyness. I want you near to me, just come near and listen to me."

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement