Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Courage

Author Topic: Courage
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Wild b, for the encouraging post!
en--courage--ing post.

Your friend in the Lord, Daniel (not the lions den Daniel LOL)

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courage. Do you have it? If so, how much? And is it enough?

I ask these personal questions because I think we may be entering times that will call for courage on the part of God’s people. Actually, all times demand courage from Christians.

I write today, not as a guy who has always had bravery come naturally and easily. In fact, the first time I was ever given the opportunity to stand up in church and speak, I almost died from nervousness and panic. (That’s a story for another letter.)

So what is courage? It’s a word that the dictionary defines this way: “The state or quality of mind that enables one to face danger or fear with self-possession, confidence, resolution, and bravery.”

Courage is a word that comes to us from two words in the original root languages.

The first half of the word courage is built upon the Latin word for “heart.” And the second half is related to Latin for “trust.” That means courage is basically heart trust.

When you are being courageous, you are trusting in your heart in a certain truth. And that truth is so strongly embraced, so wholly believed, that you are willing to do anything necessary, even to the point of death.

So how important is this characteristic today?

I think it’s more than just important right now. It’s imperative. It’s vital because in this world today, you and I, as Christians, must do things that nobody else wants to do. We must say things nobody else wants to say. And we must be something nobody else wants to be.

Why? Because we have Christ in us. And Jesus is the bravest, most daring man to ever walk the planet. Think about it. What kind of courage did it take to do what He did? To go to the cross, hang, and die for the collective, accumulated sins of the world?

That courage lives in the One who lives in us. And it’s that kind of courage that separates us from the rest of the world.

No Weasels or Wimps

Of course, antonyms of courageous include “fearful, cowardly, spineless, and yellow. I’m happy to say that those are not words that describe me today. Nor should they. Why? Because, in this world of weasels and wimps, a son or daughter of God must stand out. I want to be different. I suspect you do, too.

I want to have the kind of courage that says, without reservation, “I’m your man God. Feel free to call on me. After everything You’ve done for me, I would love to have the chance to prove to You that I’m not a disciple who would deny you under pressure.”

What does Christian courage look like? For one thing, it looks like the resolve to meet danger without reservation or retreat.

What would we do if, like Daniel, we found ourselves in a nation that made praying to the one, true God a capital offense? Might we find a way to rationalize moving our prayer meetings to the basement and to start blessing our restaurant meals with our eyes open?

“After all, doesn’t the Bible say to pray in secret, in our closet?” we might be tempted to argue.

I believe this is our opportunity to display Daniel-like character and Daniel-like courage.

In First Chronicles 28:20 we read:

David said to Solomon, “Be strong and of good courage, and do it; and don’t fear or be dismayed, for the Lord your God - my God - will be with you. And He will not leave you or forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.”

Take note of that phrase, “. . . until you have finished all the work . . .”

David told his son to be strong and courageous because the Lord God would be with him until all his assigned work was complete.

The same is true for you and me. In a way, there’s an expiration date on us.

Yes, you can’t see it but God has stamped a unique date on me. A year, a month, and a day. In grocery store terms, it’s the day I’m “best if used before.” After that date, I’m dead. On that very hour which God has predetermined and predestined–I’m out of here. But until that day, I am indestructible.

I can go everywhere He tells me to go. Do anything He tells me to do. Weather any storm. Remain standing after any battle. Whatever He asks me to do, I can do it. Why? Because it’s Christ in me Who gives me that strength.

Once that truth really sinks in, you approach even the most uncertain or volatile of circumstances with an attitude that says: “Hey Lord, if You want me to do this, I’m Yours. I’m all in. In fact, there’s nothing else I’d rather do.”

Why? Because such a believer has only one valid fear—the fear of not being in the center of His will. For the Christian, that’s the safest place on earth. If God has called you into a war zone, the truly dangerous place to be is on your couch watching Seinfeld reruns!

In His Strength

Courage! We need it in this hour. More than at any other time, a lost and deceived world needs us to rise up boldly and say, “God, in Your strength, I’ll say what You ask me to say, do what You ask me to do, and be what You’ve called me to be.”

Of course there is much more to share about operating in biblical courage in the last days than I could possible fit into a letter. That’s why I want to make a teaching of mine available to you titled, oddly enough, “Courage.” It’s from my “Character Class” series and, though I taught it several years ago, I believe it is more timely and important than ever. Click here to listen to "Courage."

As always, I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you how much your prayer, support and encouragement means to me. Thank you so much for keeping your connection to the Active Word strong and vital.

We’re living in times in which we need each other more than ever.

In closing, here’s my prayer for you and me today:

Lord, if we have found ourselves with a heart of cowardice of late, we pray, please change us. Encourage us. May we not live another day in fear concerning circumstances for You are God above all. And Lord, as You pour into our hearts today, may we be found faithful. For your glory in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Stay in touch.

Until the whole world hears . . .

Forwarded from
Pastor Bob , http://www.calvaryftl.org/

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement