Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » So are we in this world!

Author Topic: So are we in this world!
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the string that fraid it's self on both ends and tied it's self in a knot, I'm afraid not.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
The only person that I ever heard was perfect other than Jesus was the Ex Husband of my buddy's wife, according to her.
Oh, YOU know Michael Harrison IN PERSON???? Are you kidding me? What's it like?!??

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Jesus quite often directed us to God instead of Himself He also asked us to be perfect.

We can direct ourselves to God through Jesus but being perfect is only a goal.

The only person that I ever heard was perfect other than Jesus was the Ex Husband of my buddy's wife, according to her.

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Michael Harrison, I'm glad you are participating. You wrote
quote:
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

If thou wilt 'enter' into life...

Okay, that's one phrase that we can focus on in the above scrip, but what about "Why do you call me good, there is none good but God".

What I was wondering, Michael Harrison, if Jesus said that He as the sinless Son of Man was good, do you consider yourself good, or sinful as in:

Luke 18 (King James Version)
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but smote on his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 For I tell you that this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for everyone who exalts himself shall be abased, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

Michael Harrison, do you find yourself saying, "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner" or are you like the other man who said:

Luke 18
11 But the Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, saying "God, I thank You that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican is.

12 I fast twice in the week, and I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 But the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but isntead smote himself on the breast, saying, God, be merciful to me a sinner.

Michael Harrison, if you were to describe yourself, which one of these two persons do you see yourself as?

I see myself as a publican, God have mery on me a sinner. Does that mean that I can just go ahead and sin as you then suggest?

No, not at all. Paul addressed the issue of the liberty that we now have in Christ Jesus to not use it as an occasion to sin, but rather to work in consort with the Holy Spirit who guides our steps once we have believed in Jesus.

"God, have mercy on me a sinner" does NOT mean "I can go give myseelf permission to sin", but means, "God,have mercy on me a sinner". haha.

Michael Harrison, to repeat what you wrote
quote:
You wrote[quote]Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

If thou wilt 'enter' into life...

No, try, "Why do you call me good? There is none good but God".

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

MICHAEL...Subject: So are we in this world!

Well, it sorta feels like it...yep, I checked again. Looks like it.

You said in your opening above that: If thou wilt enter into life...and keep the commandments,
was not talking about whether one is saved or not, but whether he is experiencing the fullness of God.

I am thinkin that if you are keeping the commandments, surely you are a saved person and experiencing the fullness.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes we must carry our cross as Jesus did. All those who will live Godly will be persecuted-- and hated in some cases.

And No we don't use grace as an excuse to sin-- we have an Advocate (Jesus) with The Father when we do fall short.

The old ordinances against us of our life of sin says we are 'guilty'-- The blood of Christ says we are 'Blameless'.

That's how much we are loved!-- and that's Good News today!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

[spiny] If thou wilt 'enter' into life...
keep the commandments. Enter! Therefore the only way to 'enter' into life is, to keep the commandments. We are not talking about whether one is saved or not, but whether he is experiencing the 'fullness' of God.

So here we have a man who to his knowledge has done that, but Jesus, knowing that he had not gone all the way said:

Mat 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

What did Jesus say, "If thou wilt be perfect."

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

But people stumble at this because they feel that they must try in the flesh to be perfect:

Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

But Jesus is our perfection, and HE will 'do' it for us as we trust Him, for we cannot:

1Jn 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

How is HE in the world? It depends upon 'our' faith. And then, "as HE is," so are we.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement