Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Blessing of Fear

Author Topic: The Blessing of Fear
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fear as applied in scripture is a good thing, just as fear (a good understanding , a respect for) anything can be if the individual learns to respond correctly to the person or thing to be feared....

fire, when understood is of great benefit, (warmth, light, energy ect...) but it can also cause pain and bodily injury....

likewise the Law of Yahweh can be extremely beneficial to man when properly understood and feared or extremely harmful if applied the wrong way....

the fear of Yahweh is the beginning of wisdom ...

Psa 90:11-12 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, [so is] thy wrath. So teach [us] to number our days, that we may apply [our] hearts unto wisdom.

Psa 119:34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with [my] whole heart.

we can not love Yahweh or Yahshua if we do not love The Law ....

may all apply themselves to love the Law and gain wisdom and understanding and proper fear of Yahweh...

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COPPER25...Subject: The Blessing of Fear.

To start with, I have noticed that there has not been much action on this board lately. It could be because of me. Jesus is the most important subject in my life and when I see a discrepency I tend to become politically incorrect. Well, here I go again. My comments are however done in love and you must understand that.

The word "FEAR" in "Fear the Lord" will always be misunderstood until someone digs into it's true meaning. Why would we do that, don't we know what fear means ? In Websters Dictionary (which I should use more than I do)the word fear means: sudden danger; peril; an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger, etc. But then it goes on to say: profound reverence and awe esp,. toward God.

That sounds like they forgot to put in the word they were defining right after "awareness of danger". But don't ya know it, it's never that easy. So let's go with Profound reverence and awe esp., toward God....

What I have gathered up to define the FEAR in FEAR OF GOD is: A reverential awe which leads the believer to love and obey God. When they say "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" it means that a healthy respect for the living God is the foundation of religious faith and morality...."Those who fear the Lord".

Deut. 10:12-13 And now Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all His ways, and to Love Him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul. v13 And to keep the commandments of the Lord, and His statutes which I command thee this day for thy good? In english we would hardly use Fear to describe something that creates life style and attitude but there you have it, anyway.

NT views a reverent awe of God as a motive for holy living (1 Peter 1:17 and 2:17.

Jesus said that fear of God frees us from other fears. Remember the sparow?

To fear God is recognizing his ultimate reality. You care more about His approval than what others think or do. You live a godly life out of respect.

One more comment...If FEAR was used as we usually know it, it wouldn't work. Take Satan for example: The way God has this all planned out, no one misses the Judgement Seat. If God had killed Satan and threw him in the pit for ever where would this take us ? If you or I die today and go to hell for ever, what about that?
The result would be FEAR. There would be no CHOICE, and if Jesus had not died for us we would all go to hell the moment we died. FEAR ?
I recon. I'll shut up now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 1:18) For the wrath of God is revealed from the heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

How important is it for us to fear God? To have more then just a reverence and respect, but a literal fear of him. Through grace my fears relieved, yea, but it is blessing to fear the Lord. It makes us so much more sensitive to and more conscious of our actions. Could you imagine if the whole world feared God? We would be in an state that far excels the spiritual conditions in today’s would. When we fear the Lord we can really start to excel spiritually because it will make us avoid sin and completely want to stay away from it in our actions, speech, and thought. “And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of then that kill the body, and after that they have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.” So this is not just reverence, but a little fear goes a long way. When we see a verse like (Proverbs 6:16) “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him” and then we look at verses 17,18, and 19 saying “A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among the brethren.” We will pay closer attention to those abominations and certainly not do them. “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.” “Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD” because that man will seek obedience and to do the will of God and will make the effort big time to avoid defilement.

How can we live right if we don’t fear God? This is why half the people claiming to be Christians are living a Laodicean life style, poor, blind, and naked, spiritually speaking. You can’t be dead to that which you don’t flee from, now can you. “ Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. ” "O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” When obedience is coupled with the fear of God it enhances our discipline and makes us live a life more pleasing to God. It is something that when learned is a blessing because we can further more be shaped in the way and mode of thinking that God wants us to be in.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement