Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD"

Author Topic: "THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD"
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russell S. Miller wrote
quote:
It was "the acceptable year of the Lord" for Israel when our Lord preached the gospel of the kingdom during His earthly ministry.
That is one of my favorite verses, "the acceptable year of the Lord".

Some Christians may not know that the Lord Jesus STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE VERSE of Isaiah, because the WHOLE sentence of Isaiah that Jesus read was:

Luke 4
16 And he {Jesus} came to Nazareth where he had been brought up: and as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and he stood up to read.

17 And there was delivered to him the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them who are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book and gave it again to the minister, and he sat down. And the eyes of all them who were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 And he began to say to them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Ahh, but the Lord Jesus did not fiish reading the entire sentence, and for a good reason, as I will explain in a moment. The Lord Jesus was reading from Isaiah 61:

Isaiah 61
1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD has anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them who are bound;

2 And to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, AND the day of vengeance of our God to comfort all who mourn.

So why did the Lord Jesus stop in mid-sentence and say only:

Luke 4
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord,

20 And he closed the book and gave it again to the minister...

Why did Jesus not read the rest of Isaiah 61:2 also, "... AND the day of vengeance of our God to comfort all who mourn?

Because when Jesus came the first time, He only primarily came to "preach the acceptable year of the Lord", meaning, the Son of God Jesus of Israel-Judah had "come to His own" to "preach repentance to Israel-Judah for one last time", in the 3-1/2 years of Jesus's life in Israel-Judah.

Jesus had not come for "the year of vengeance of the LORD", so He omitted that part of His reading.

"The acceptable year of the Lord is now"

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Russell S. Miller

It was "the acceptable year of the Lord" for Israel when our Lord preached the gospel of the kingdom during His earthly ministry. But because of their unbelief He had to add these words regarding their works: "Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country," and thus predicting the very rejection of Himself in the "acceptable" year of the Lord (Luke 4:19,24; Matt.23:1-39; Luke 13:34,35)!

But His rejection was not confined to the three years of His earthly ministry. Even the following year after His resurrection, Israel refused to repent until finally God had to set the nation itself aside in unbelief (Luke 13:6-9; Acts 2:14-38; 4:11,12; 4:23-31; 7:54-60; 9:15; Rom.11:11-13,25) and consequently we hear the words of the Apostle Paul:

"FOR THIS CAUSE I PAUL, THE PRISONER OF JESUS CHRIST FOR YOU GENTILES,

"IF YE HAVE HEARD OF THE DISPENSATION OF THE GRACE OF GOD WHICH IS GIVEN ME TO YOU-WARD: HOW THAT BY REVELATION HE MADE KNOWN UNTO ME THE MYSTERY...WHICH IN OTHER AGES WAS NOT MADE KNOWN UNTO THE SONS OF MEN, AS IT IS NOW REVEALED UNTO HIS HOLY APOSTLES AND PROPHETS BY THE SPIRIT" (Ephesians 3:1-5).

In this dispensation of God's "long-suffering," Paul, the Apostle of the Nations, in declaring "all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27), made it unmistakably clear that salvation is solely by the grace of God alone. But the Apostle Peter also declared "that the long-suffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you" (ITim.1:15,16; IIPet.3:15).

Thus the conversion of Saul, also known as Paul, is the pattern of salvation today:

"Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the GRACE of our Lord was EXCEEDING ABUNDANT with FAITH and LOVE which is in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, THAT CHRIST JESUS CAME INTO THE WORLD TO SAVE SINNERS; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all long-suffering, FOR A PATTERN TO THEM WHICH SHOULD HEREAFTER BELIEVE ON HIM TO LIFE EVERLASTING" (I Timothy 1:13-15).

In II Corinthians 6:2 Paul wrote the Corinthians concerning salvation and this long-suffering of God, and His attitude toward the unsaved today:

"For He saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

So for us Gentiles, God, in grace, has extended the acceptable year of the Lord for these 2000 years. And like Paul, my friend, your so-called "good works" won't save you any more than they saved Paul; you must believe in Jesus. If God could save "the chief of sinners," He can save you:

"FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED" (Rom.10:13).

And He will save you, my dear friend, just now, if you will simply ask Him. So why don't you ask the Lord Jesus Christ to be your Saviour, and to save you from your sins, right now. God will hear you, if you will just ask Him, and He will save you for time and eternity.

"For He saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: Behold, now is the accepted time; Behold, now is the day of salvation" (IICor.6:2).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement