Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » THE DEATH OF THE CROSS

Author Topic: THE DEATH OF THE CROSS
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden had written
quote:
These things in particular happened at the cross.
Michael Harrison answered
quote:
These things in particular 'happen' at the cross.
No, these things ALL happened when Jesus was on the cross. Not only was Jesus on the cross, God also put "the old man" of Romans 6:6 on the cross while Jesus was on the cross. Not today or in the future, it happened "back then" when Jesus was on the cross:

1 Corinthians 1:30
But of Him {of God} are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

The only things that "happens" to us now is REDISCOVERING IN THE WORD OF GOD the things that God has already "put on the cross with Jesus" back then when Jesus was on the cross.

All that belonged to "the old man" of Romans 6:6 was nailed to the cross BACK THEN and God by His foreknowledge put the believers among "the old man" INTO CHRIST on the cross instead of on the cross itself.

But all of that HAPPENED back then, and we APPROPRIATE it all BY FAITH, that when God said that Jesus died for my sins on the cross, then it happened, and if God said that I was "put in Christ" it happened back there too and not "now" as in "happens":

Eden had written
quote:
Then Michael Harrison answered
quote:
No, happened. The only thing that 'happens' in the now is that we BELIEVE that God really did those things BACK THEN, and then we thank Him for it and we "begin to walk in what God said He has already done for us", namely, "those who were put in Christ" were "also made alive unto God", while the rest of the "old man" on the cross itself "did not fare so well".

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Jesus secured forgiveness of sins for us at the cross.

All that is "of that old man" or "of the first Adam" was put on the cross while Jesus was on the cross.

Those whom God foreknew would accept Jesus in their lifetime, those God took from the cross and "put those believers in Christ" on the cross.

1 Corinthians 1:30
But of Him {of God) are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

When Christ rose from the grave 3 days later, we who were "put in Christ" by God also "rose with Christ".

After rising with Christ because we were "in Christ", God now also counts (accounts, reckons) us as "being alive unto God".

And now that we "are alive unto God", God starts to give us this "newness of life":

Romans 6:4
Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into His death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, evenso we also should walk in newness of life.

Since God has said that I am now "alive unto God" and that God starts to give "newness of life" to the person "resurrected in Jesus", I by faith accept and expect that "God is now giving me this newness of life, this new life that is in the Son":

1 John 5:12
He who has the Son has life; and he does not have the Son of God does not have life.

I'm saved from my sins by faith, I am crucified with Christ by faith, I am put in Christ by faith, I am raised in/with Christ by faith, I am alive to God by faith, and I receive and expect the new life will now start flowing and begin to operate in my life, by faith.

The only thing I REALLY had to do was accept Jesus as my Substitute, and after that God did all the rest. But in order for what God did to become alive to me in practice, I have to believe that God really did do and really will do all those things that I have through the cross.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

There are four words which every one of us should consider in connection with Christ's death at Calvary if we would fully appreciate what our Savior did for us there.

CRUCIFIXION

It is doubtful whether man has ever conceived a more cruel and humiliating way to execute even the vilest criminals. The physical agony alone must have been horrible beyond comprehension. The criminal was nailed to a tree and left to hang there, writhing in the most intense pain until, fevers wracking his body, he died. And then think of the humiliation as he hung there, stripped and naked, to suffer shame and disgrace before the public gaze. Little wonder Phil. 2:8 says that Christ humbled Himself to become obedient "unto death, even the death of the cross."

SUBSTITUTION

We have not even begun to understand the cross if we do not understand that Christ died there as our Substitute, paying for our sins.

"Christ died for our sins" (I Cor. 15:3). "His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree" (1 Pet. 2:24).

REPRESENTATION

But Christ was more than our Substitute; He was our voluntary Representative at Calvary. He had taken on Himself human form that He might represent man before God and die as Man for men.

"As it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment, so Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many..." (Heb. 9:27, 28).

"[He] was made... lower than the angels... that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Heb. 2:9).

IDENTIFICATION

It follows from this that if Christ represented me at Calvary, He became identified with me there, and I am identified with Him as I accept this by faith. Hence Paul exclaims:

"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement