Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD

Author Topic: RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Believers,
quote:
1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

When interpreting the mystery, we must not turn to our soulical (natural) mind for answers. The spiritual things declared by the apostles must be compared to the spiritual things declared by the prophets.
In order to read a map, you must accept the rules of interpretation found in the Legend.
In Galatians, Paul makes us the children of the woman in Isaiah 54.
quote:
Isaiah 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
In my desire to understand scripture, when I resort to the writings of men outside of the Bible, I treat them as brothers rather than fathers or masters.
quote:
Mt 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1Co 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
4:1 ¶ Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

So, I account Paul and Peter as stewards of the mysteries of God. Outside of the writers of canon scripture, the rest- including me- are just exploring mysteries.
I thank my God that I have a Helper sent from the Father in heaven who will lead me into all Truth. The Truth, that Good Shepherd of the sheep, sets me free from those who want to take advantage of us like a wolf among sheep.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel wrote:
quote:
For this reason the best method of study is to compare scripture with scripture.....not to compare an individual's theological belief with scripture.
Words of wisdom Daniel [thumbsup2]

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True revelation of the Word of God and knowing how to rightly divide the Word of truth comes not by any logic or sound carnal reasoning, nor by the theology of man's opinion but by the same avenue our Salvation came: "The supernatural power and wisdom of the True and Living God."

No wonder He says that He will take the foolish things to confound the wise. 1 Corinthians 3:19

There are many theologists or bible scholars who still are confused with scriptures when it comes to rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Thessalonians 5:1 - 11 (NLT)
1 Now concerning how and when all this will happen, dear brothers and sisters, we don’t really need to write you. 2 For you know quite well that the day of the Lord’s return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. 3 When people are saying, “Everything is peaceful and secure,” then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape. 4 But you aren’t in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters, and you won’t be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief. 5 For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night. 6 So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clearheaded. 7 Night is the time when people sleep and drinkers get drunk. 8 But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation. 9 For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us. 10 Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever. 11 So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.

Revelation 3:10 (NLT)
10 “Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For example, applying this verse:

5:9 Paul says, “For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

To revelation 3:10! [happyhappy] [thumbsup2] [happyhappy]

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"All scripture is FOR US, but not all is ABOUT US.

Ok. I see.

Still, just about every Christian has a concept, or notion about what they believe. Where they get it is up for grabs. But when one has a 'notion' already, it is easy to 'want to believe' that a given scripture says, or reinforces what they want to believe about their concept. In this way they do not 'rightly divide', because verses from other places in the Bible 'sound' like they 'agree' with one another when they are talking about different things.

So, I'll repair out of here.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For this reason, the best method of study is to compare scripture with scripture........not to compare an individual's theological belief with scripture. We need to study together to learn how seemingly contradicting scriptures dont contradict, but co-exist in harmony. There still will be difficulty though when it comes to topics like how God exercises His sovereignty, triune God, and pre-trib vs. post trib. belief for example.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sad to say, however, there are many who fail to give the Book of God the respect and reverence it deserves. They flip it open at random, let a finger light upon the open page and then read the verse indicated to see if perchance they may find leading from the Lord in that way. And if it doesn't "work" the first time they try it again and again until it does "work." They use "promise boxes" in the same way, on the basis that "every promise in the Book is mine." They take passages out of their contexts, "spiritualize" them, and give them "private interpretations." Finding "precious passages" anywhere at all, no matter to whom addressed or when or why, they place their own constructions upon them and claim them as promises of God to them! To take isolated statements from the writings of men and use them in such a manner would be considered dishonest, but even Bible teachers do it with the Word of God!
Sad. Great post WildB!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
I have to disagree brother Stam!

It is a sad thing to watch so many people be so adamant about their error, knowing what the end of them will be. But they who elect themselves, also elect (or help) themselves to their own understanding. Perhaps it is impossible to convince them of the error of their way. But it will be for a judgment against them. For they heard the way, and they followed it not.

You don't have a clue what brother Stam is talking about do you?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

I have to disagree brother Stam! It is written to Christians, about Christians, or at least, believers. Paul wrote to those who are believers. The goal was their 'edification'. Edification means 'closeness' to the Lord. Therefore it is entirely, and exactly to, and about those who are considered to be the 'elect'.

But the 'frozen chozen' are the more likely to 'pick and choose'. Scripture means things to the reader, no matter who he or she is. But if Jesus isn't in it, the interpretation is wrong, and the interpreter will be judged.

It is a sad thing to watch so many people be so adamant about their error, knowing what the end of them will be. But they who elect themselves, also elect (or help) themselves to their own understanding. Perhaps it is impossible to convince them of the error of their way. But it will be for a judgment against them. For they heard the way, and they followed it not.

chosenone
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
by Cornelius R. Stam

It is not enough to use the Bible as a grand book of wonderful sayings from which we may choose what we wish for our inspiration, nor will one who truly realizes that "God hath spoken" ever hold so shallow an opinion of the sacred Scriptures.

"The Word of truth" must be "rightly divided"; for while it is all given for our spiritual profit, it was not all addressed to us, or written about us. Thus one who truly desires to understand and obey God's Word will seek first to determine what Scriptures are particularly related to him and will study all the rest in the light of these.

Sad to say, however, there are many who fail to give the Book of God the respect and reverence it deserves. They flip it open at random, let a finger light upon the open page and then read the verse indicated to see if perchance they may find leading from the Lord in that way. And if it doesn't "work" the first time they try it again and again until it does "work." They use "promise boxes" in the same way, on the basis that "every promise in the Book is mine." They take passages out of their contexts, "spiritualize" them, and give them "private interpretations." Finding "precious passages" anywhere at all, no matter to whom addressed or when or why, they place their own constructions upon them and claim them as promises of God to them! To take isolated statements from the writings of men and use them in such a manner would be considered dishonest, but even Bible teachers do it with the Word of God!

The Word, rightly divided, is of supreme importance to the Church at large as well as to the individual believer, and it is because this fact has not yet been sufficiently recognized that we have not experienced the true, heaven-sent revival that the Church so sorely needs.

Hi WildB.
Brilliant, a very good post. Paul says exactly that in his epistle to Timothy, (2Tim.2:15 ...to correctly cut the word of truth).

I agree, many just pick out verses in scripture that agree with what they want to say, not heeding to whom it is written to.

"All scripture is FOR US, but not all is ABOUT US.

God Bless. Jerry.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

It is not enough to use the Bible as a grand book of wonderful sayings from which we may choose what we wish for our inspiration, nor will one who truly realizes that "God hath spoken" ever hold so shallow an opinion of the sacred Scriptures.

"The Word of truth" must be "rightly divided"; for while it is all given for our spiritual profit, it was not all addressed to us, or written about us. Thus one who truly desires to understand and obey God's Word will seek first to determine what Scriptures are particularly related to him and will study all the rest in the light of these.

The Word, rightly divided, is of supreme importance to the Church at large as well as to the individual believer, and it is because this fact has not yet been sufficiently recognized that we have not experienced the true, heaven-sent revival that the Church so sorely needs.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement